[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: John Belein  (Read 6680 times)

muguru

• All American
OT: John Belein
« on: February 16, 2020, 10:20:05 PM »
Leaving the Cavs it sounds like...wonder what college will go after him??

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1229254135385673728?s=20
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: OT: John Belein
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:53:40 PM »
Leaving the Cavs it sounds like...wonder what college will go after him??

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1229254135385673728?s=20

I'm guessing Texas kick the tires.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 12:11:30 AM »
He’s had a nice career. 40+ years coaching and much success. Had heart surgery in August 2018 among other health problems. Maybe retirement is the best option for him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 12:18:28 AM »
Sounds like he left Michigan because he tired of recruiting....not sure colleges itching to grab someone like that trying to cruise at the end of his careee.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 12:37:42 AM »
I'm guessing Texas kick the tires.

I have to admit that I'd laugh my arse off if the tire-kicking led to the current Texas coach getting kicked to the curb.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 04:41:42 AM »
He’s had a nice career. 40+ years coaching and much success. Had heart surgery in August 2018 among other health problems. Maybe retirement is the best option for him.

Not if he wants to keep coaching. But I can’t see a place like Texas starting over with a 67 year old.

Too bad. I really wanted this to work out. He’s been a great coach whoever he’s been.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 05:54:12 AM »
Good man.  Good coach.  Not a good fit in the NBA.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 06:43:39 AM »
Not if he wants to keep coaching. But I can’t see a place like Texas starting over with a 67 year old.

Too bad. I really wanted this to work out. He’s been a great coach whoever he’s been.

He might be ideal because buying out Shaka is going to cost a ton. They will probably be looking at a $12-15M investment to change coaches and it could be significantly more if they go for someone like Beard who has another buyout in place they would have to pay for. Beilein would save them having to go for the buyout, they could retain Yaklich to save on assistant staff buyouts, it might not be a hire that gets them more than 5-10 years, but if you can put Beilein in place on the (relatively) cheap and have your coach-in-waiting in Yaklich alongside him, it might be about as good as it gets for them.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:14:12 AM »
He might be ideal because buying out Shaka is going to cost a ton. They will probably be looking at a $12-15M investment to change coaches and it could be significantly more if they go for someone like Beard who has another buyout in place they would have to pay for. Beilein would save them having to go for the buyout, they could retain Yaklich to save on assistant staff buyouts, it might not be a hire that gets them more than 5-10 years, but if you can put Beilein in place on the (relatively) cheap and have your coach-in-waiting in Yaklich alongside him, it might be about as good as it gets for them.

Who, as we also know was with him in Michigan.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 07:22:45 AM »
The whole thugs/slugs thing was a self-inflicted wound, and I said at the time that his days were numbered. This doesn't surprise me in the least.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 07:48:48 AM »

Ahh.  I forgot that Yaklich is in Austin now.  That might make some sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
You all are fools!  Wojo finally found the perfect Xs and Os coach for the bench.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »
You all are fools!  Wojo finally found the perfect Xs and Os coach for the bench.

Bingo.  Stan gets a mid major job, Beilein associate head coach, Yaklich director of basketball ops.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 11:42:25 AM »
S U P E R B A R
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 12:10:06 PM »

Spending a few years at Texas would also give him a chance to hire his son as an assistant, or at least DOBO, who could use an opportunity to rehab his reputation following what happened at Niagara.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
John beilein is a great coach, nba coach? Maybe, how many coaches are a good fit in Cleveland without Lebron ....

Jay Wright is a great coach, nba coach? How many coaches are a good fit with the Knicks?

Same issue, different owner!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
John beilein is a great coach, nba coach? Maybe, how many coaches are a good fit in Cleveland without Lebron ....

Jay Wright is a great coach, nba coach? How many coaches are a good fit with the Knicks?

Don't mess with happy!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »

How many coaches are a good fit even with LeBron, remember he got the first guy fired
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
Don't mess with happy!

Maybe he wants a new challenge. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »
Maybe he wants a new challenge.

And if he fails spectacularly - and the track record of college guys in the NBA says he will - he walks away/gets fired after a few years with $30 million in the bank and his pick of the next major college opening.
Not a bad deal.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
Spending a few years at Texas would also give him a chance to hire his son as an assistant, or at least DOBO, who could use an opportunity to rehab his reputation following what happened at Niagara.

What happened at Niagara?

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2020, 12:37:32 PM »
What happened at Niagara?

Pat Belein was hired in the off-season as head coach of Niagara. He resigned prior to the start of this season, and was replaced by his associate head coach (Greg Paulus). No official word on why he resigned other than 'personal issues'.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 12:45:26 PM »
Neva a good thang ta get inta a pissin' match wit playas, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 01:09:40 AM »
Pat Belein was hired in the off-season as head coach of Niagara. He resigned prior to the start of this season, and was replaced by his associate head coach (Greg Paulus). No official word on why he resigned other than 'personal issues'.

It involved the spouse of an assistant.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”