'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Some additional positive press for the Big East  (Read 25416 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Some additional positive press for the Big East
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 10:42:36 PM »
If everyone in sports is a friend u must know chicos?

Met him in 2003, the only time.

Not sports, but I had a chance to be coworkers with these two individuals.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 11:21:02 PM »
Todd (a friend) is Jewish and got Israeli citizenship when he played there (Like Travis is Italy) but is not actually from Israel, but rather Arizona.

There are some Asian-American assistants (one is a friend who started the Asian Coaches Association) but with so few Asian players having come through college hoops there isn’t a pool from which to hire.

Has MU ever had a minority head coach in any sport? Curious.

So he is an Asian American.  TY

Btw, not a bad choice for MU if Wojo left.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 11:27:21 PM »
I will ask it again, do u honestly think anyone on this board believes a single word that you type?

Would you like a photograph of the team championship to prove you wrong?  Lol.  Happy to do to prove you wrong again.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 11:30:53 PM »
It's funny how many people look at color.  Some will like the story.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:35:43 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 11:38:03 PM »
If everyone in sports is a friend u must know chicos?

Billy and I met in New Orleans at the Final Four.  If everyone in insurance and Angus beef is a friend, you must know know the burger boys.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 02:09:57 AM »

Why is it funny?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »

Why would only some like the story?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2020, 08:34:55 AM »
Such a silly thing to take credit for. It’s not like this was intentional or coordinated by the league / we’re doing anything better than other leagues. It is just a coincidence.

I don't think it is.  As Stu Jackson pointed out in the article, BE schools being in urban areas has a lot to do with it historically. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »

I don't think it is.  As Stu Jackson pointed out in the article, BE schools being in urban areas has a lot to do with it historically.

I agree with this. I don't think it's coincidence that Big East schools are primarily in majority minority communities, while leagues like the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12 largely operate in more rural communities. In addition, I think there's likely more of an urban fan appeal for the Big East because of those locations than there is in leagues where they are looking to appeal statewide.

That isn't to say it is a cognizant choice to not hire minorities in those other leagues, but that it is a cognizant choice among Big East schools to make sure minorities are part of the interview process (such as Cuonzo interviewing at Marquette).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »
I agree with this. I don't think it's coincidence that Big East schools are primarily in majority minority communities, while leagues like the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12 largely operate in more rural communities. In addition, I think there's likely more of an urban fan appeal for the Big East because of those locations than there is in leagues where they are looking to appeal statewide.

That isn't to say it is a cognizant choice to not hire minorities in those other leagues, but that it is a cognizant choice among Big East schools to make sure minorities are part of the interview process (such as Cuonzo interviewing at Marquette).

I’d be fascinated to see UW-Madison hire an African-American coach that completely revamped how and who they recruited.  Fascinated, I say
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2020, 09:02:41 AM »

Only one problem with this history....many of the Big East schools when they were founded 100+ years ago were not in minority communities...MU being a classic example of this.  Neighborhoods change, the campuses rarely move.

I’ll repeat, I hope the Big East hires the best coaches they can get....if that means they are Asian, Hispanic, African American, African Canadian, African German, Caucasian, or whatever other identity game people play...doesn’t matter.  Meritocracy.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2020, 09:06:55 AM »
It depends.  I live in a city where Asians dominate.  A few years ago my son’s volleyball team won the So. Cal championships and later finished second in state.  Every kid was Asian except my son and one other.  The baseball team just won state last year. Etc.  No doubt there are cultural differences, but sports is important for many Asians.

I became more enlightened today, and culturally educated.  Thank you for your continued contributions to Scoop, and society in general.  You are a true pioneer, and have inspired a new signature.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
Only one problem with this history....many of the Big East schools when they were founded 100+ years ago were not in minority communities...MU being a classic example of this.  Neighborhoods change, the campuses rarely move.

LOL.  I'm pretty sure brew is appropriately limiting his history to the modern era of college basketball.  Not the founding of the institution.

I’ll repeat, I hope the Big East hires the best coaches they can get....if that means they are Asian, Hispanic, African American, African Canadian, African German, Caucasian, or whatever other identity game people play...doesn’t matter.  Meritocracy.

Yep.  I hope so too.  I also hope that the BE continues to give opportunities to minorities that haven't always had the opportunity to attain such positions.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »
Met him in 2003, the only time.

Not sports, but I had a chance to be coworkers with these two individuals.

Lemme guess u work for Dish??  U prolly own the company too right?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »
I became more enlightened today, and culturally educated.  Thank you for your continued contributions to Scoop, and society in general.  You are a true pioneer, and have inspired a new signature.

His comments  "Basketball isn’t big in the Asian-American culture in the first place (sports in general are often frowned upon) which leads to a limited number of candidates for jobs"   were not accurate.  One needs to look at Yao Ming, Jeremy Lin and others to how "big" it can be or is.   Now, I do agree that sports can be frowned upon by some in the Asian community....we see it in our community which is close to 70% Asian....but I generally find it to be more with 60+ year olds in the community. 

Out here in So. Cal we have Asian basketball leagues in which ONLY Asians can play.    Asian basketball has been a big part of So Cal sports for more than 100 years.....you read that right.

I think Brew meant well, but I can tell you in this part of the country Asians are huge fans of basketball and very active participants.  Most of my team at work is Asian and most are women....I would say 60% of them played Asian hoops at one point and most of their kids do today. 

Here....get educated    https://www.kcet.org/history-society/masculinity-femininity-and-asian-american-basketball-in-20th-century-california

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2020, 09:43:53 AM »
Lemme guess u work for Dish??  U prolly own the company too right?

My God are you an idiot.  He's already told you he has a law degree and works in D1 athletics. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »

This is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is those communities now. Who gives a crap about the makeup of the Avenues West community 100+ years ago?  ;D

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2020, 11:05:14 AM »
This is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is those communities now. Who gives a crap about the makeup of the Avenues West community 100+ years ago?  ;D

My point was these urban schools were built a long time ago and they were not built in minority areas.  They became minority areas over time. 

You said it isn’t a coincidence that Big East schools are in majority minority areas.  Well, actually it is a coincidence because when they were built they were not minority areas at all.  So yeah, it matters because your statement was plain wrong just as it is about Asian Americans and basketball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2020, 11:09:37 AM »
I’d be fascinated to see UW-Madison hire an African-American coach that completely revamped how and who they recruited.  Fascinated, I say

not sure if this is what you're looking for, but bucky had an african-american coach -bill cofield-1976-1982

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cofield
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »
My point was these urban schools were built a long time ago and they were not built in minority areas.  They became minority areas over time. 

You said it isn’t a coincidence that Big East schools are in majority minority areas.  Well, actually it is a coincidence because when they were built they were not minority areas at all.  So yeah, it matters because your statement was plain wrong just as it is about Asian Americans and basketball.

You aren't really this thick, are you? I mean...really? Really?

<<Massive sigh>>

We are talking about today's hiring practices and the hires made considering the geographical makeup of those areas today. So the neighborhoods that grew around locations like Providence, St. John's in Jamaica, and DePaul is what influences hires that were made in the past 10-15 years.

No one cares about who turned the spade when they broke ground. That has no relevance. Please, try not to be so obtuse. Just because you are busting your ass to push the angle past 180 doesn't mean your thinking is becoming narrow or focused.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2020, 11:14:28 AM »
not sure if this is what you're looking for, but bucky had an african-american coach -bill cofield-1976-1982

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cofield

And Stu Jackson

Jackson was hired to kick start basketball like Alvarez did football. It wasn’t a good match. Nothing to do with race, just that Stu was an NBA guy who went right back as soon as he could. But he did amp up the recruiting.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:17:11 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2020, 11:54:56 AM »
All of this about majority/minority areas and urban schools is correct. However, maybe 20 or so years ago, there was a movement afoot to move Marquette and Marquette High to the burbs. MU considered a move to the area where Concordia is now located—which had done the same thing. To the credit of the Jesuits, the decision was to stay urban within the heart of the city so as not to abandon the neighborhoods. The point is there was a decision to stay put and minister to the neighbors as well as educating college students.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »
His comments  "Basketball isn’t big in the Asian-American culture in the first place (sports in general are often frowned upon) which leads to a limited number of candidates for jobs"   were not accurate.  One needs to look at Yao Ming, Jeremy Lin and others to how "big" it can be or is.   Now, I do agree that sports can be frowned upon by some in the Asian community....we see it in our community which is close to 70% Asian....but I generally find it to be more with 60+ year olds in the community. 

Out here in So. Cal we have Asian basketball leagues in which ONLY Asians can play.    Asian basketball has been a big part of So Cal sports for more than 100 years.....you read that right.

I think Brew meant well, but I can tell you in this part of the country Asians are huge fans of basketball and very active participants.  Most of my team at work is Asian and most are women....I would say 60% of them played Asian hoops at one point and most of their kids do today. 

Here....get educated    https://www.kcet.org/history-society/masculinity-femininity-and-asian-american-basketball-in-20th-century-california

I live in LA and have never seen an Asian only league. Maybe in your hood but I have never seen it. More importantly, who cares?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2020, 12:21:04 PM »
All of this about majority/minority areas and urban schools is correct. However, maybe 20 or so years ago, there was a movement afoot to move Marquette and Marquette High to the burbs. MU considered a move to the area where Concordia is now located—which had done the same thing. To the credit of the Jesuits, the decision was to stay urban within the heart of the city so as not to abandon the neighborhoods. The point is there was a decision to stay put and minister to the neighbors as well as educating college students.

Terrible mistake. Shoulda bolted like Concordia did. Enrollment woulda bin thrivin'. Furdermoore, DiUlio wuz wright. Close down da Ave., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
I live in LA and have never seen an Asian only league. Maybe in your hood but I have never seen it. More importantly, who cares?

Right? I cannot believe this was even brought up.  Perhaps the most random, bizarre, point ever made on Scoop.  However, we are all better off going forward knowing these leagues exist in L.A.