Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Silver Lining  (Read 3195 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
The Silver Lining
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:29:10 AM »
Down 9 at the beginning of the second half, down 18 soon afterwards. I had hopes of a comeback at 9 down but gave up all hope at 18 down. At that point, I was hoping for a respectable loss of about 10 points. I gave up. The team did not. Honest question: did you really think that a serious rally was even possible?

This is not the place to discuss how poorly Marquette played for most of the game, to point out for the umpteenth time the really dumb plays or engage in "coulda woulda shoulda if if if". I hated the loss as I do all Marquette losses. Move on!

I'm not taking anything away from the comeback vs. Purdue but it began much earlier in a game on our home court. Even though our guys did not quite pull off a shocking, come from behind win, the huge amount of heart they impressively showed may well carry them to wins this season and post season in games when the outlook  seems hopeless.

If this spirit is carried forward into future Marquette teams, Markus' silent legacy may be his contagious spirit. I found myself humbly moved at the end of the game rather than grieving the loss.

Note: I will be out until late today so I will not be replying to posts for quite a while.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

tower912

• All American
Re: The Silver Lining
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:33:32 AM »
I did appreciate the effort.   I hope that Cain can carry that second half forward.  I liked that Wojo was so pissed that he sat 4 starters.   I liked how Koby assumed leadership at that point.   I just would like him to shoot better.

Against all logic, MU cut an 18 point deficit to virtually nothing on the road against a ranked team.   This team has heart.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 07:44:28 AM »
Every team makes mistakes in every game, Marquette included. We lost this one because we didn't shoot well for several long stretches. Our best 3-point shooters were bricking wide-open 3s, we were missing 10-footers, we missed several bunnies too. Make even 3-4 more of those, and the game is different.

Shooting is the one thing coaches can't control during a game. You can do wholesale substitutions (as Wojo did), you can try to run plays to get your best shooters more open looks (as Wojo did). But the shooter still has to make the shot.

When the shots started going in some during the late stages of the game, the score got close enough for us to actually steal the game ... and we almost did.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »
Free throws matta, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:03:40 AM »
With all these metrics baked into the NET losing by 1 vs 10 could gain us a seed in March.

Still lost but that comeback could prove important.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
Every team makes mistakes in every game, Marquette included. We lost this one because we didn't shoot well for several long stretches. Our best 3-point shooters were bricking wide-open 3s, we were missing 10-footers, we missed several bunnies too. Make even 3-4 more of those, and the game is different.

Shooting is the one thing coaches can't control during a game. You can do wholesale substitutions (as Wojo did), you can try to run plays to get your best shooters more open looks (as Wojo did). But the shooter still has to make the shot.

When the shots started going in some during the late stages of the game, the score got close enough for us to actually steal the game ... and we almost did.

Exactly!  A coaches job is to devise an offense that puts guys in position to get good shots.  After that, it is on the player to hit that shot.  We usually do, but just couldn't do it last night.  It happens.  I have read on these boards sometimes after close wins that we were lucky because the opponent missed some open shots.  Well, we did too last night.  Next week maybe it is the reverse and we come out on top.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:19:31 AM »
Free throws matta, aina?

Even Jayce missed one!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 04:55:32 PM »
Yeah, butt da goat wuz 50%, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »
Yeah, butt da goat wuz 50%, hey?

I didn't think you thought Markus was the GOAT, Doc. Who knew? Anyhoo, he missed his last one on purpose -- and unfortunately didn't miss it expertly enough.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »
I didn't think you thought Markus was the GOAT, Doc. Who knew? Anyhoo, he missed his last one on purpose -- and unfortunately didn't miss it expertly enough.

Nice going 82! Now Guru will start up about what Marquette's record "coulda shoulda woulda" been if Markus had bounced the ball off the rim. I think it is only right that you reply to him in detail on this matter.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 07:49:31 PM »
I have never seen that off the rim work, but it still may be better than any alternative

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 08:44:39 PM »
Just worked last week in the Duke UNC game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 08:55:35 PM »
I have never seen that off the rim work, but it still may be better than any alternative

Check out Duke/UNC   4.4 Regulation.  Tre Jones at FT down 3, made 1st then bounds off the rim and ties the game,  He mentioned that in practicing the ball came off to the same spot.  (seems it's in the Detail)

Then in OT guess what.. check it out on YouTube.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust