Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Cruella Pavill(ion)  (Read 14711 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: Cruella Pavill(ion)
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2020, 10:45:48 PM »
I can’t comment on tonight’s game thread bc it has been unbearable for the last couple of years - I stopped participating.  Bunch of whiners and negative Nathan’s. God awful. 

On a better note, I thought Koby was terrific in leading the “second team” to bring MU back in the game after the line change.  He played his heart out.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2020, 10:46:44 PM »
Yeah I guess we will. Your math doesn’t add up.

You win the math segment.

TFlegend and skianth win the common sense segment.

Win, win.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2020, 10:49:05 PM »
We were screwed as soon as Jay called for the foul.  He was prepared.  That what fouling, up 3, does to the other team.

Good fight.  The shots started to fall a bit too late.  Ran out of time.

When wojo saw that Jay was calling for a foul he shoulda called timeout right after Markus crossed half court.

Coulda then set up and inbounds play with 5 seconds to get him a baseline look from 3- Hes got such a quick release nova woulda been hard pressed to foul him in that situation out of a timeout. Wojo needs to read that better imo

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »
Isn’t that the argument for not fouling? Wojo was clearing waving his arms while Nova was still in the backcourt, so the team knew that a stop was the plan. I don’t question that decision, even though I’m disappointed that MU didn’t pull out the win.

I don’t feel too strongly about it either way since it was sort of a desperation comeback anyway, but I would have just liked to see more possessions. Result probably would have been the same.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2020, 10:52:20 PM »
We had a lot of things go wrong on the road against a good team but battled to the final whistle.

I would have fouled down 3 with 41 seconds left to extend the game but overall thought Wojo coached a very good game.

I don’t think Nova is all that - IMO we’re the better team.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2020, 10:53:12 PM »
When wojo saw that Jay was calling for a foul he shoulda called timeout right after Markus crossed half court.

Coulda then set up and inbounds play with 5 seconds to get him a baseline look from 3- Hes got such a quick release nova woulda been hard pressed to foul him in that situation out of a timeout. Wojo needs to read that better imo

We didn't have a timeout left. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2020, 11:10:10 PM »
It seems to me that when you have to miss a free throw, you should practice bouncing it off the rim to the left or right, and know where the rebound will come. With enough force, it would go over the guys lined up at the lane, and you could have guys charge to where the ball is likely to go.

That said, I am thankful that we came back and made it respectable. Almost, almost.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2020, 11:20:28 PM »
It seems to me that when you have to miss a free throw, you should practice bouncing it off the rim to the left or right, and know where the rebound will come. With enough force, it would go over the guys lined up at the lane, and you could have guys charge to where the ball is likely to go.

That said, I am thankful that we came back and made it respectable. Almost, almost.

Tre Jones executed it so perfectly the other day. It’s a bizarre thing to practice but I think it’s worth doing for 10-15min here and there. It was pretty obvious Markus didn’t know what to do there. Probably had never done it before.

Grab the ball and immediately throw it as hard as you can with both hands off the front rim seems to be the best way.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2020, 11:22:53 PM »

Pretty sure we did. Wojo called it after MH missed the first freebie to set up the intentional miss that got away...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »
I see a number of posters missed the UNC vs. Duke game this weekend.

Or the MU vs. Providence game. Or the MU vs. Xavier game. Or the UNC vs. Clemson game.

Shall I go on?

“We never had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead.”  Well, we did. But if we want to add on the specifics after our statement is called our for being wrong have at it.

And after you add on specifics, ask yourself if Jay Wright would’ve been fouling if he didn’t feel MU had a chance to tie the basketball game there. You don’t have to post your answer here. Save face. We all know what the answer is.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:30:26 PM by manesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2020, 11:38:41 PM »
Pretty sure we did. Wojo called it after MH missed the first freebie to set up the intentional miss that got away...

We did. Also pissed a timeout away late in the game not being able to get it in a sideline out of bounds play coming out of a timeout.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2020, 12:04:19 AM »
In the end, nice 2nd half against a very good, well-coached team.  Thoughts:

-Very physical game, but not a lot of fouls called.  This will be a preview for the NCAA.
-Hard to win when you’re behind, sending your best FT shooters to the line, and they can’t connect
-I always think the way to attack Nova is playing their style.  I would have liked to have seen Bailey as the big, along with 4 guards for at least a few minutes.
-Really hoping Howard gets the ok to drop the mask by the BE Tourny. 
-Fun to watch Nova.  Every player on the floor can dribble the ball, and all can create for others off the dribble-drive

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2020, 12:10:00 AM »

MU is going to be a tough out. This team is getting much better. Creighton game will be a war.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2020, 12:11:55 AM »
Really baffled by all the “Markus was chucking” “Markus had a terrible game” chorus. There was a game plan based on face guarding him and relentless pressure. He was bothered and didn’t get into an early rhythm. But he only took 2 shots for a good chunk of the second half and was letting the game come to him. One run was keyed by him driving and dishing repeatedly. Before his end of game spurt, he was 4-12 and 3-9. That’s not the sniper Markus we know, but 33% when you’re not your best isn’t anything to bemoan. Myles Powell was 0-10 from 3 at home and repeatedly missed big shots with his team down a bucket tonight. Markus forced maybe a shot or 2 and had a bad TO where he should have called timeout, otherwise he was good to great depending on the portion of the game. He can’t always be 40+ in hostile territory

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2020, 01:58:43 AM »
I want to apologize to everyone for the loss. Baby TAMU is undefeated when she wears her MU onesie during the game. A dinner with friends went long and we didn't start watching the recording of the game until it was halftime IRL. In fact I'd guess it wasn't until about the time that Nova was up 18 that we got baby TAMU into her MU onesie. It was too little too late.

I think if there was ever a "good loss" this was it. Commitee will look at this game and it likely helps our seed rather than hurts it. Our KenPom rank did go down one but our KenPom score went up by about .2. The drop in ranking was because Creighton's win at Seton Hall let them leapfrog us.

Speaking of Creighton, they are the remaining game that worries me the most. Get out of Fiserv with a win and I'm really liking our prospects for the rest of the season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2020, 02:14:24 AM »
Also, if Koby could find any sort of consistency with his outside shot, this team would be very very very good. Greg getting his shot back could also be helpful. He's 0/8 since the Creighton game, 0/4 since the ankle injury. Prior to that, he was shooting 51.9% from three.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2020, 04:55:18 AM »
1.   Why does Nova play anywhere else?   Hate that place.
2.  Jayce has many virtues.   Defending quick bigs is not one of them. 
3.  Had a forward on Markus and as soon as the high screen was set they sold out on the trapping double team with two long active defenders.  Nice defense.  Jay can coach.   Fouling up 3.
4.   Hope Markus didn't hurt himself chasing down his late miss.   Ugly fall. Limped afterwards.  Short armed two free throws.  Brain fart free throw.
5.  Cain gets the steal, at half court I yelled 'Stop!'. My wife looks up just in time to see the scud.   'How did you know'?     Honey, nothing good happens when he tries to dribble.   Maybe next year.
6.  It took over 12 minutes to make a basket that wasn't point blank.   If you can't shoot, you don't win.   Open looks, lay ups, dunks, contested looks.   Punishing that rim.   You could hear the clangs.
7.  Wojo so ticked he sat 4 starters at once.   Message sent. 
8.  Cain didn't let a couple mistakes bother him tonight.   Nice job, young man.   Might have been the best half of his career so far.
9.  And his effort inspired the team.   With as bad as the team started both halves, they fought.  Had chances.  Dug too big a hole. 
10.  17-7, 7-5.   Momma said there would be days.like these.    Bounce back this weekend. DOH.  TUESDAY.

It was like there was a lid on the basket. Absolutely nothing would go in. It was painful to watch.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2020, 05:01:05 AM »
I want to apologize to everyone for the loss. Baby TAMU is undefeated when she wears her MU onesie during the game. A dinner with friends went long and we didn't start watching the recording of the game until it was halftime IRL. In fact I'd guess it wasn't until about the time that Nova was up 18 that we got baby TAMU into her MU onesie. It was too little too late.

I think if there was ever a "good loss" this was it. Commitee will look at this game and it likely helps our seed rather than hurts it. Our KenPom rank did go down one but our KenPom score went up by about .2. The drop in ranking was because Creighton's win at Seton Hall let them leapfrog us.

Speaking of Creighton, they are the remaining game that worries me the most. Get out of Fiserv with a win and I'm really liking our prospects for the rest of the season.

Not Seton Hall? What worries me the most is there are times when the guys are running on all cylinders then its like its 25 below and you can't even get the engine to turn over.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2020, 06:11:04 AM »
Nova was in control of that game from the first TV timeout to the final buzzer.  MU never had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead.

This is a lie.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2020, 06:38:06 AM »
Yep. And in my opinion they are the worst matchup for us in the BE. We'll have a good shot though and I'd also predict a close win.

Completely agree. Creighton makes me nervous. Hopefully we can defend ok and they have an off night. Hate the matchup with them, but our guys are tough and will be determined. Great win by Creighton at Hall to keep the conference race interesting. Would love for the last home game to mean something in terms of keeping Hall from winning the conference. Regardless it will be a big game for resume purposes for both teams.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2020, 08:24:57 AM »
We burned one attempting to get the ball in from slob. To call a TO(if we had one) to set up a slob play would be too risky.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2020, 08:30:01 AM »
Speaking of out of bounds plays, It appears as if Koby has missed Brendan 1x per game under the basket in several of the last games. Get it to him...point blank range....draw the foul...or both.
IMO, our OOB plays take too long.
If I’m the opposing team and 3 or 4 seconds have gone by..I’m running to 1/2 court because that is the safety valve and I think we are getting a little too relaxed in that spot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »
And yet they ran the perfect double screen to get Markus that open 3 late.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2020, 08:45:15 AM »
I personally believe that Wright fouled too early. Had Markus made both free throws, nova would have been up one. MU could have fouled. With the way, Nova was shooting free throws they easily could have missed one like Robinson-earl did. MU would have been down two with a chance to win or tie.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
I personally believe that Wright fouled too early. Had Markus made both free throws, nova would have been up one. MU could have fouled. With the way, Nova was shooting free throws they easily could have missed one like Robinson-earl did. MU would have been down two with a chance to win or tie.

I'd have loved to have seen what would have transpired had Markus made the two FTs. Sadly, he is human and he didn't.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback