[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Campus Accident  (Read 4719 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Campus Accident
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 08:57:59 PM »
She’ll get the punishment she deserves through the justice system and having to live with the decision she made.

Not having any idea what her story is, I’m in no place to judge her. No matter what the situation was it was a devestatingly horrible decision and she will pay. But nobody knows what she had going on in her life. We all have our battles. Maybe the decision was related to one of hers, maybe it didn’t.

If I put myself in that situation I can’t say for certain I would’ve had the courage to stay at the scene. She effectively ended two lives with a terrible decision. It’s okay to hope she pays for her decision while still having some empathy and/or sympathy for her. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:00:55 PM by manesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 10:26:23 PM »
maybe this will be an unpopular opinion but I don't care about her. She drove under the influence and recklessly.  She caused a good man to lose his life and a family to lose their husband, father, uncle, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am furious it happened and life was snuffed out.  She has to be going through hell.  I would be a hypocrite if I were to say I have never driven under the influence.  I don't know what level I was at, certainly not crapfaced, but I have definitely driven buzzed in my life as I'm sure many people have.  She should pay a steep price for what she has done to this man's family, but I will pray for her because I imagine she is terribly burdened.

Now, if this was a multiple incidents for her....then my sympathy goes away.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 08:14:27 AM »
Let's not argue about this people. Two families have been forever changed. I had a work colleague that was in the same position about 20 years ago. He and the victim's mom wept together and embraced at his uncontested trial.

I'm also going to strongly recommend a book entitled 'Half a Life' by Darren Strauss. It was required reading for the incoming Frosh class in 2012. Marquette awarded him his honorary doctorate that Fall at Convocation.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:24:08 AM by jsglow »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
Everyone has made a terrible mistake in their life.  Some of those mistakes just have had their number called.  I call an Uber 99% of the time but there by the grace of God go I. 

Like Chicos I will also pray for this girl who I would assume is going through hell. 

The two big details we have about the incident is that the driver failed sobriety tests, but the car had the green light.   

It's unfortunate to write anything negative here, but unless I'm reading the reports wrong, Dr. Daniels was jaywalking.   A sober driver might have had the same result.  So yes, I can see having sympathy for the driver.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »
The two big details we have about the incident is that the driver failed sobriety tests, but the car had the green light.   

It's unfortunate to write anything negative here, but unless I'm reading the reports wrong, Dr. Daniels was jaywalking.   A sober driver might have had the same result.  So yes, I can see having sympathy for the driver.

Yes, he was jaywalking. The driver was under the influence and driving well above the posted speed limit.

Yes the accident could have been avoided with a sober driver with all else being equal but even if sober the driver would still have been going to fast.

Generally speaking, I think it's wise/reasonable to be empathetic to all involved while reserving sympathy for those that deserve it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 09:24:37 AM »

This is good.

Jaywalkers have been killed under circumstances in which the driver reacted in all the appropriate ways. Can't pin the entirety of this incident on the driver.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 09:46:38 AM »
How did they determine the driver's speed? this info was out with the 1st incident reports but I'm guessing from witness speculation? If her OBDII recorded this data during the crash would they have been able to read that so soon?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »
I think we're all dancing around the idea.  It might have been us. 

Since there are very few details of the actual incident, the summary *could* be "Texting pedestrian crosses on red, steps in front of car going 1 mph over the limit, killed."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 10:01:05 AM »
I think we're all dancing around the idea.  It might have been us. 

Since there are very few details of the actual incident, the summary *could* be "Texting pedestrian crosses on red, steps in front of car going 1 mph over the limit, killed."

Wow... putting it right out there, eh?  It's good thing you're a mod.  That said, I am in no manner diminishing the validity of the message. 

Alcohol may not have materially contributed to the tragedy, but unfortunately, it certainly makes for a good story.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
Wow... putting it right out there, eh?  It's good thing you're a mod.  That said, I am in no manner diminishing the validity of the message. 

Alcohol may not have materially contributed to the tragedy, but unfortunately, it certainly makes for a good story.

Yeah, I struggled with that post.  If this was on reddit, it would be downvoted to oblivion.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 10:21:40 AM »
I am also in no position to judge. Now in my mid-30s, I am extremely careful when it comes to this sort of thing. But we all made regrettable decisions in our early 20s. Like another poster said, there but for the grace of God go I.

Given this person was 20 years old, she may even be a part of the Marquette community. I'm sure this is the hardest week of her young life. Prayers for all involved.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
maybe this will be an unpopular opinion but I don't care about her. She drove under the influence and recklessly.  She caused a good man to lose his life and a family to lose their husband, father, uncle, etc.

**allegedly
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 03:09:02 PM »
Just received in my email inbox from MU: A nice celebration of Joe Daniels' life.

https://stories.marquette.edu/celebrating-the-life-of-dr-joe-daniels-d5fa68d03b83
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2020, 03:14:46 PM »
Ludum habemus.

feedback