[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jeff Potrykus Kobe King  (Read 12768 times)

Jamo

• Walk-On
Jeff Potrykus Kobe King
« on: February 06, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/02/05/allegations-made-uw-basketball-staffer-used-racial-comments-presence-kobe-king/4675859002/

The above is Potrykus' filing when it broke Kobe King was accusing a UW staffer of racially charged comments.

His first non-quote, non-fact line in the article was:

"King could use such a claim in an effort to be granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA after he transfers."

That seems wildly irresponsible and a clear assumption (even if plausible). Especially now that a staffer has been released from the AD.

Am I being a snowflake here?

MuMark

• All American
Re: Jeff Potrykus Kobe King
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »
I wasn’t bothered by that assumption.......I think King will likely try to get a waiver if indeed that is a reason for his transfer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »
#Badgers strength and conditioning coach Erik Helland has resigned.

https://t.co/kJpa7xE5nr

Reported by The Zone (Madison sports talk station).

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28649010/badgers-strength-coach-resigns-using-slur
"UW Athletics administration was informed last weekend that Helland, while recounting a story from earlier in his NBA career, had used a racial epithet in the presence of multiple Wisconsin men's basketball student-athletes," a university statement said. "UW Athletics confirmed that assertion on Sunday. UW Athletics works to promote a safe and welcoming environment for its student-athletes and staff and the aforementioned language used does not align with the values of the athletic department, men's basketball program or the university."

It could be they started an investigation and asked remaining players if they ever heard racial statements and someone brought this story up and they had to act on it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:24:55 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

panda

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 04:39:52 PM »
This is a bad look for a program/university that has struggled with it’s race image perception for a long time. It doesn’t help a lot of their fans are saying what a ridiculous decision this is. Good luck with recruiting Gard.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »
I was hoping for a larger train wreck. 5.5/10

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »
So first they produce a video (homecoming last year?) that talked about diversity but showed all white students, and now staff are using racial epithets? This will help recruiting....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
    Maybe if he woulda rapped the story, it be all cool eyn’a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 08:18:46 PM »
This should help recruiting 🤪
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 08:21:32 PM »
Based on the story I actually feel kind of bad for the trainer. Apparently King even thanked him in his goodbye instagram post. Seems like he's using a whole lot of nothing to his advantage just to avoid sitting out a year now.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 09:02:05 PM »
Based on the story I actually feel kind of bad for the trainer. Apparently King even thanked him in his goodbye instagram post. Seems like he's using a whole lot of nothing to his advantage just to avoid sitting out a year now.

Nothing i read made it look lije kobe thru him under the bus to better his situation, in fact one article stated kobe was not there.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 07:27:20 AM »

You've now fallen for the Jeff Potrykus propoganda sell. Kobe King wasn't there when it was said and only brought it up internally to UW to show there was room for improvement. King actually came out and said he liked the strength coach and didn't think this should be used against them.

This is all part of the Madison smear campaign for non-sheep who don't toe the Madison line. Similar things happened with Utholff....that program is a fricking cult.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »
You've now fallen for the Jeff Potrykus propoganda sell. Kobe King wasn't there when it was said and only brought it up internally to UW to show there was room for improvement. King actually came out and said he liked the strength coach and didn't think this should be used against them.

This is all part of the Madison smear campaign for non-sheep who don't toe the Madison line. Similar things happened with Utholff....that program is a fricking cult.

Bingo.  We’ve seen the reaction from fans on social media and message boards blaming Kobe King for the trainers lapse of judgement.  Potrykus has framed this in a transfer waiver ploy by King.  To his credit, Jim Polzin was able to get an interview again with King who admits he told the story in his exit interview as part of ways the program could improve.

Some things jump out at me.  One, kudos to the athletic department for asking that question.  Two, Kobe being honest in his interview is a plus if the department is serious about improving.  Three, the trainer was done as soon as he said the word, regardless of context.  I don’t want to see this thread get derailed over that word but don’t say it.

Whether they like it or not, race is an issue at Madison.  They had to take this serious.  Instead of using it as a learning moment, the talking point will be to blame the messenger, not the person who had the lapse in judgement.  Credit to Polzin for getting King on the record.  Shame on Potrykus for his initial report which was full of BS and his immediate framing of this as a transfer waiver issue.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »
Whether they like it or not, race is an issue at Madison. 

Race is an issue a lot of places...

Maybe if he woulda rapped the story, it be all cool eyn’a?

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:14 AM »

“There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad intentions, and wooooords.”
― George Carlin

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:43 AM »
Race is an issue a lot of places...

That argument has been made plenty in the last 36 hours, that’s for sure

connie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 09:05:46 AM »
I am going to give credit to UW for asking the question, King for answering, and UW for following up and doing something.  Potrykus throwing red meat to a delusional and extremely insular fan base is unfortunate, but not unexpected.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »

Wow, hot take. Seems a little over the top. From reading everything on JS and Twitter, it seems like the only person willing to talk about the whole situation is Hellend. So that's where the quotes come from and that's the perspective we get.

Based on the scenario and what Hellend has said publicly, it seems like he's a guy that made one mistake that cost him his job, maybe even his career. It doesn't seem like Kobe had any ill intentions in mentioning the situation. And it looks like UW took the right steps to look into the issue. I don't mind a little schadenfreude coming out of Madison, but this isn't exactly propaganda and cults material.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
Why is anyone giving UW any credit for asking the question if now its being used for negative spin vs King?  Doing bad things with the answer to a good question makes it a bad question.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »
Bingo.  We%u2019ve seen the reaction from fans on social media and message boards blaming Kobe King for the trainers lapse of judgement.  Potrykus has framed this in a transfer waiver ploy by King.  To his credit, Jim Polzin was able to get an interview again with King who admits he told the story in his exit interview as part of ways the program could improve.

Some things jump out at me.  One, kudos to the athletic department for asking that question.  Two, Kobe being honest in his interview is a plus if the department is serious about improving.  Three, the trainer was done as soon as he said the word, regardless of context.  I don%u2019t want to see this thread get derailed over that word but don%u2019t say it.

Whether they like it or not, race is an issue at Madison.  They had to take this serious.  Instead of using it as a learning moment, the talking point will be to blame the messenger, not the person who had the lapse in judgement.  Credit to Polzin for getting King on the record.  Shame on Potrykus for his initial report which was full of BS and his immediate framing of this as a transfer waiver issue.

Agreed, Hellend was dead man walking the second he uttered those words.

The next person to lose their job should be Potrykus for defending racism and blaming King for being honest in an exit interview, which ultimately brought the racism to light.

The MJS and the UW should quickly cut all ties with Potrykus.  If there was ever a time to write a letter - this would be it. 

Barry Alvarez and MJS editor:
Bla@athletics.wisc.edu
George.stanley@jrn.com
Jssports@journalsentinel.com
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:09:53 PM by 94Warrior »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »
Wow, hot take. Seems a little over the top. From reading everything on JS and Twitter, it seems like the only person willing to talk about the whole situation is Hellend. So that's where the quotes come from and that's the perspective we get.

Based on the scenario and what Hellend has said publicly, it seems like he's a guy that made one mistake that cost him his job, maybe even his career. It doesn't seem like Kobe had any ill intentions in mentioning the situation. And it looks like UW took the right steps to look into the issue. I don't mind a little schadenfreude coming out of Madison, but this isn't exactly propaganda and cults material.

My point is that Potrykus is a propogandist pushing a narrative for the Madison programs and the fans eat it up because they are part of a cult.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
Agreed, Hellend was dead man walking the second he uttered those words.

The next person to lose their job should be Potrykus for defending racism and blaming King for being honest in an exit interview, which ultimately brought the racism to light.

The MJS and the UW should quickly cut all ties with Potrykus.  If there was ever a time to write a letter - this would be it. 

Barry Alvarez and MJS editor:
Bla@athletics.wisc.edu
George.stanley@jrn.com
Jssports@journalsentinel.com

This board savaged Joey Hauser for pursuing wavier and alleging mistreatment (cult mentality) but is rushing to defend King and allege the S&C coach is a "racist" and quoting someone it "racism."

I'm as left wing as anyone here but come on, what he did is not "racist." It wasn't even said to King.

Definition of racism
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

If music was played in the locker room contained that word does that mean it was a racially hostile environment? The guy should have never said what he did but doing so does not make one a "racist."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »
This board savaged Joey Hauser for pursuing wavier and alleging mistreatment (cult mentality) but is rushing to defend King and allege the S&C coach is a "racist" and quoting someone it "racism."

I'm as left wing as anyone here but come on, what he did is not "racist." It wasn't even said to King.

Definition of racism
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

If music was played in the locker room contained that word does that mean it was a racially hostile environment? The guy should have never said what he did but doing so does not make one a "racist."

Not even remotely comparable. A coach "directing a racial epithet" (language directly from the articles) at Kobe King vs. A guy who was upset because he wasn't THE guy on the team.

What a load of garbage. You're either being purposefully obtuse or lack the ability to think analytically, which says more about MU than anything related to the Hausers

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »

Definition of racism

I agree with this.  My problem with Potrykus is he’s painting this as a Kobe King issue

feedback