[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jeff Potrykus Kobe King  (Read 12608 times)

Jamo

• Walk-On
Jeff Potrykus Kobe King
« on: February 06, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/02/05/allegations-made-uw-basketball-staffer-used-racial-comments-presence-kobe-king/4675859002/

The above is Potrykus' filing when it broke Kobe King was accusing a UW staffer of racially charged comments.

His first non-quote, non-fact line in the article was:

"King could use such a claim in an effort to be granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA after he transfers."

That seems wildly irresponsible and a clear assumption (even if plausible). Especially now that a staffer has been released from the AD.

Am I being a snowflake here?

MuMark

• All American
Re: Jeff Potrykus Kobe King
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »
I wasn’t bothered by that assumption.......I think King will likely try to get a waiver if indeed that is a reason for his transfer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »
#Badgers strength and conditioning coach Erik Helland has resigned.

https://t.co/kJpa7xE5nr

Reported by The Zone (Madison sports talk station).

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28649010/badgers-strength-coach-resigns-using-slur
"UW Athletics administration was informed last weekend that Helland, while recounting a story from earlier in his NBA career, had used a racial epithet in the presence of multiple Wisconsin men's basketball student-athletes," a university statement said. "UW Athletics confirmed that assertion on Sunday. UW Athletics works to promote a safe and welcoming environment for its student-athletes and staff and the aforementioned language used does not align with the values of the athletic department, men's basketball program or the university."

It could be they started an investigation and asked remaining players if they ever heard racial statements and someone brought this story up and they had to act on it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:24:55 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

panda

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 04:39:52 PM »
This is a bad look for a program/university that has struggled with it’s race image perception for a long time. It doesn’t help a lot of their fans are saying what a ridiculous decision this is. Good luck with recruiting Gard.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »
I was hoping for a larger train wreck. 5.5/10

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »
So first they produce a video (homecoming last year?) that talked about diversity but showed all white students, and now staff are using racial epithets? This will help recruiting....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
    Maybe if he woulda rapped the story, it be all cool eyn’a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 08:18:46 PM »
This should help recruiting 🤪
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 08:21:32 PM »
Based on the story I actually feel kind of bad for the trainer. Apparently King even thanked him in his goodbye instagram post. Seems like he's using a whole lot of nothing to his advantage just to avoid sitting out a year now.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 09:02:05 PM »
Based on the story I actually feel kind of bad for the trainer. Apparently King even thanked him in his goodbye instagram post. Seems like he's using a whole lot of nothing to his advantage just to avoid sitting out a year now.

Nothing i read made it look lije kobe thru him under the bus to better his situation, in fact one article stated kobe was not there.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 07:27:20 AM »

You've now fallen for the Jeff Potrykus propoganda sell. Kobe King wasn't there when it was said and only brought it up internally to UW to show there was room for improvement. King actually came out and said he liked the strength coach and didn't think this should be used against them.

This is all part of the Madison smear campaign for non-sheep who don't toe the Madison line. Similar things happened with Utholff....that program is a fricking cult.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »
You've now fallen for the Jeff Potrykus propoganda sell. Kobe King wasn't there when it was said and only brought it up internally to UW to show there was room for improvement. King actually came out and said he liked the strength coach and didn't think this should be used against them.

This is all part of the Madison smear campaign for non-sheep who don't toe the Madison line. Similar things happened with Utholff....that program is a fricking cult.

Bingo.  We’ve seen the reaction from fans on social media and message boards blaming Kobe King for the trainers lapse of judgement.  Potrykus has framed this in a transfer waiver ploy by King.  To his credit, Jim Polzin was able to get an interview again with King who admits he told the story in his exit interview as part of ways the program could improve.

Some things jump out at me.  One, kudos to the athletic department for asking that question.  Two, Kobe being honest in his interview is a plus if the department is serious about improving.  Three, the trainer was done as soon as he said the word, regardless of context.  I don’t want to see this thread get derailed over that word but don’t say it.

Whether they like it or not, race is an issue at Madison.  They had to take this serious.  Instead of using it as a learning moment, the talking point will be to blame the messenger, not the person who had the lapse in judgement.  Credit to Polzin for getting King on the record.  Shame on Potrykus for his initial report which was full of BS and his immediate framing of this as a transfer waiver issue.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »
Whether they like it or not, race is an issue at Madison. 

Race is an issue a lot of places...

Maybe if he woulda rapped the story, it be all cool eyn’a?

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:14 AM »

“There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad intentions, and wooooords.”
― George Carlin

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:43 AM »
Race is an issue a lot of places...

That argument has been made plenty in the last 36 hours, that’s for sure
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

connie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 09:05:46 AM »
I am going to give credit to UW for asking the question, King for answering, and UW for following up and doing something.  Potrykus throwing red meat to a delusional and extremely insular fan base is unfortunate, but not unexpected.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »

Wow, hot take. Seems a little over the top. From reading everything on JS and Twitter, it seems like the only person willing to talk about the whole situation is Hellend. So that's where the quotes come from and that's the perspective we get.

Based on the scenario and what Hellend has said publicly, it seems like he's a guy that made one mistake that cost him his job, maybe even his career. It doesn't seem like Kobe had any ill intentions in mentioning the situation. And it looks like UW took the right steps to look into the issue. I don't mind a little schadenfreude coming out of Madison, but this isn't exactly propaganda and cults material.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
Why is anyone giving UW any credit for asking the question if now its being used for negative spin vs King?  Doing bad things with the answer to a good question makes it a bad question.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »
Bingo.  We%u2019ve seen the reaction from fans on social media and message boards blaming Kobe King for the trainers lapse of judgement.  Potrykus has framed this in a transfer waiver ploy by King.  To his credit, Jim Polzin was able to get an interview again with King who admits he told the story in his exit interview as part of ways the program could improve.

Some things jump out at me.  One, kudos to the athletic department for asking that question.  Two, Kobe being honest in his interview is a plus if the department is serious about improving.  Three, the trainer was done as soon as he said the word, regardless of context.  I don%u2019t want to see this thread get derailed over that word but don%u2019t say it.

Whether they like it or not, race is an issue at Madison.  They had to take this serious.  Instead of using it as a learning moment, the talking point will be to blame the messenger, not the person who had the lapse in judgement.  Credit to Polzin for getting King on the record.  Shame on Potrykus for his initial report which was full of BS and his immediate framing of this as a transfer waiver issue.

Agreed, Hellend was dead man walking the second he uttered those words.

The next person to lose their job should be Potrykus for defending racism and blaming King for being honest in an exit interview, which ultimately brought the racism to light.

The MJS and the UW should quickly cut all ties with Potrykus.  If there was ever a time to write a letter - this would be it. 

Barry Alvarez and MJS editor:
Bla@athletics.wisc.edu
George.stanley@jrn.com
Jssports@journalsentinel.com
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:09:53 PM by 94Warrior »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »
Wow, hot take. Seems a little over the top. From reading everything on JS and Twitter, it seems like the only person willing to talk about the whole situation is Hellend. So that's where the quotes come from and that's the perspective we get.

Based on the scenario and what Hellend has said publicly, it seems like he's a guy that made one mistake that cost him his job, maybe even his career. It doesn't seem like Kobe had any ill intentions in mentioning the situation. And it looks like UW took the right steps to look into the issue. I don't mind a little schadenfreude coming out of Madison, but this isn't exactly propaganda and cults material.

My point is that Potrykus is a propogandist pushing a narrative for the Madison programs and the fans eat it up because they are part of a cult.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
Agreed, Hellend was dead man walking the second he uttered those words.

The next person to lose their job should be Potrykus for defending racism and blaming King for being honest in an exit interview, which ultimately brought the racism to light.

The MJS and the UW should quickly cut all ties with Potrykus.  If there was ever a time to write a letter - this would be it. 

Barry Alvarez and MJS editor:
Bla@athletics.wisc.edu
George.stanley@jrn.com
Jssports@journalsentinel.com

This board savaged Joey Hauser for pursuing wavier and alleging mistreatment (cult mentality) but is rushing to defend King and allege the S&C coach is a "racist" and quoting someone it "racism."

I'm as left wing as anyone here but come on, what he did is not "racist." It wasn't even said to King.

Definition of racism
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

If music was played in the locker room contained that word does that mean it was a racially hostile environment? The guy should have never said what he did but doing so does not make one a "racist."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »
This board savaged Joey Hauser for pursuing wavier and alleging mistreatment (cult mentality) but is rushing to defend King and allege the S&C coach is a "racist" and quoting someone it "racism."

I'm as left wing as anyone here but come on, what he did is not "racist." It wasn't even said to King.

Definition of racism
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

If music was played in the locker room contained that word does that mean it was a racially hostile environment? The guy should have never said what he did but doing so does not make one a "racist."

Not even remotely comparable. A coach "directing a racial epithet" (language directly from the articles) at Kobe King vs. A guy who was upset because he wasn't THE guy on the team.

What a load of garbage. You're either being purposefully obtuse or lack the ability to think analytically, which says more about MU than anything related to the Hausers

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »

Definition of racism

I agree with this.  My problem with Potrykus is he’s painting this as a Kobe King issue

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »
Here's my hot take .... white people shouldn't use that word.
Sorry if that bums you out, Billy.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »
Not even remotely comparable. A coach "directing a racial epithet" (language directly from the articles) at Kobe King vs. A guy who was upset because he wasn't THE guy on the team.

What a load of garbage. You're either being purposefully obtuse or lack the ability to think analytically, which says more about MU than anything related to the Hausers

I think you missed some key parts of the story. The racial epithet was not directed at anyone, and I think it's been said that Kobe wasn't even present. It was a coach telling story in which he used a word that he should not have. There's a big difference between this case of poor judgment and a case of being demeaning or racist.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 01:00:52 PM »
Like everybody else here, I'm on the outside looking in regarding this whole deal. So all I have is what I've read and an opinion (again, like everybody else here).

Using the n-word the way he did does not seem like "racism," or proof that he is a "racist."

It was poor judgment on his part. As Pakuni said, the best way for a white person to stay out of trouble in this realm is to simply never use the word. For the life of me, I don't know why that's a difficult concept to some.

Aside from the fact that both King and Hauser will have sought a waiver (assuming King does so), there is little to no similarity between their situations.

It's unfortunate when a black person shouts "racism" when none exists. But the instances of that having been proved to have happened, vs the instances of white people being racists or acting inappropriately on racial issues ... come on. So it's disappointing when one of the first thoughts a white person has is something along the lines of, "That black guy is probably just making this up." Despite what a fairly large (and highly unintelligent) segment of U.S. society believes, reverse racism is not a bigger problem in America than actual racism.

I have no opinion on Potrykus because I don't think I've read even 3 things he's ever written. I certainly can understand why some might not like him if he is a UW mouthpiece, as many here contend.

However, I'm quite certain that anybody who wants to get involved in a letter-writing campaign would be wasting their time by writing Barry Alvarez, as he would have absolutely no say as to whether Potrykus keeps his MJS job or not. I also doubt a letter-writing campaign to the MJS sports editor would be very successful, either, but knock yourselves out!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2020, 01:05:58 PM »
I think you missed some key parts of the story. The racial epithet was not directed at anyone, and I think it's been said that Kobe wasn't even present. It was a coach telling story in which he used a word that he should not have. There's a big difference between this case of poor judgment and a case of being demeaning or racist.

I think part of it is Potrykus and the coach’s comments are making this sound like Kobe Kibg is ringing the alarm and demanding he be fired. The coach said all was good until King transferred. However, I don’t know that I’ve seen King come out and publicly address it or demand anything. It seems he brought it up in his exit interview, but it could have been a response to any question.

I think that’s where people are calling out Potrykus and I’ve not seen anything other than speculation that King is going to try and use this for a waiver.

Much like Joey, if he’s got something that the NCAAs arbitrary waiver process deems worthy, go for it. Doesn’t hurt to take a shot as long as its truthful.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »

Quote from both USA Today and JS: "University of Wisconsin officials are investigating an allegation that a racial epithet was directed at Kobe King by a University of Wisconsin staffer."

Do you have a source that it was not directed at anyone or that Kobe wasn't present? honestly asking. But even if he wasn't present, is this not a serious issue for the University? Certainly a more serious issue than someone who is unhappy with how basketball games are being played out?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:13:20 PM by Tha Hound »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 01:19:59 PM »
Quote from both USA Today and JS: "University of Wisconsin officials are investigating an allegation that a racial epithet was directed at Kobe King by a University of Wisconsin staffer."

Do you have a source that it was not directed at anyone or that Kobe wasn't present? honestly asking. But even if he wasn't present, is this not a serious issue for the University? Certainly a more serious issue than someone who is unhappy with how basketball games are being played out?

The Madison paper had a pretty good article. The points I referenced are below.

“In a recent conversation with members of the Wisconsin men’s basketball team, I was sharing a story from my NBA career and explaining the intensity of a particular athlete, I quoted that individual, and in doing so, repeated a repugnant word. In no way were these my words, and I clearly stated my disapproval. From the beginning, I owned what I said and made apologies to the student-athletes affected,” Helland said.

"Reached on his cell phone Thursday, King said he wasn’t present when Helland used the epithet in front of three walk-ons, but his teammates told him about it."

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/erik-helland-strength-and-conditioning-coach-for-badgers-men-s/article_f3685e76-d957-586e-98ae-3d9de88ee013.html

The WSJ also has an article quoting Kobe saying he's been frustrated with Gard since his freshman year. It seems to me that Kobe's primary reason for leaving was Gard, but it's possible the Hellend issue played a role as well. The article below was written before any of the Hellend news came out, so I wouldn't put this into the "propaganda machine" category.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/kobe-king-says-frustration-was-building-with-coach-greg-gard/article_02dae339-204e-5788-a891-c03e908d1b0a.html

So is this an issue for the university? It doesn't seem to be indicative of a regular pattern or a broader problem within the program. It seems like a pretty isolated incident from a guy who's been in the basketball industry for decades and now has a big, ugly stain on his resume. I'm sure plenty of people will read into this what they want, but I'm not buying this as a tip-of-the-iceberg kind of situation.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:31:48 PM by skianth16 »

Jamo

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 01:29:04 PM »
The OP was more focused on Potrykus immediately pushing the narrative this was a false allegation made by Kobe King to obtain a waiver.

Without any facts at the time to back that up, I thought it was irresponsible for a journalist to put that out into the public, especially in what was likely the first story everyone read on the issue.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 01:44:36 PM »
What Denning did was racist.

Denning himself may or may not be a racist,  no one on this board knows the answer to that.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »
As with past incidents like Boelima, Bo, shoes, Vander, Wes, Uthoff, etc., the Madison press circles the wagons and digs in for the last stand when the regional or national press start calling. It’s no different for other state college town papers (Lansing, Columbus). IIRC, TMZ broke the Bo honey-dipping story although everyone in Madison knew his ways extended well beyond the masseuse.

Why is anyone shocked?  SUPERBAR

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »
The silence of college town press has long been a problem with Lansing being the worst example. The university provides all the news,  if the press loses access there it's literally nothing for them to report on and they will go belly up. Plus,  all their readers/viewers are likely fan(atics) and that will further harm their bottom dollar.

I have friends at both the College Station paper and local news station. Both have told me straight up that they (their employer) will never break a story that makes TAMU look bad.  If an outside entity breaks the story they will "report that other entities are reporting that..."
TAMU

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »

Denning himself may or may not be a racist,  no one on this board knows the answer to that.

Who is Denning? Do you mean Helland?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 02:58:55 PM »

Definition of racism

billy billy billy ohh billy-great comment!     if we researched everyone who said this "word"  somewhere, sometime, holy man, we would have a lot of unemployed people.  many on the left have over-weaponized the "r" word and throw it around so much, it has been unnecessarily diluted.  i think we as a society have established, and rightly so, what is acceptable in this regard.  DON"T USE IT!!   i don't know what was in hellands mind or heart when he uttered "the word" but sounds like the "meathead" part of him took over his brain.  we've got to allow some of these people a 2nd chance.  we do in so many other aspects of our lives.  if he is a real racist, either he gets religion or his true colors(no pun) will eventually rear it's ugly head and he should be unemployed

but, there!  madison just showed everyone that they sure aren't racist??  can't everyone just go with the content of ones character thing and move on?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 03:11:20 PM »
Who is Denning? Do you mean Helland?

Yes,  my bad. I was going off memory and thought his name was Denning for dinner reason
TAMU

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2020, 03:11:26 PM »

billy billy billy ohh billy-great comment!     if we researched everyone who said this "word"  somewhere, sometime, holy man, we would have a lot of unemployed people.  many on the left have over-weaponized the "r" word and throw it around so much, it has been unnecessarily diluted.  i think we as a society have established, and rightly so, what is acceptable in this regard.  DON"T USE IT!!   i don't know what was in hellands mind or heart when he uttered "the word" but sounds like the "meathead" part of him took over his brain.  we've got to allow some of these people a 2nd chance.  we do in so many other aspects of our lives.  if he is a real racist, either he gets religion or his true colors(no pun) will eventually rear it's ugly head and he should be unemployed

but, there!  madison just showed everyone that they sure aren't racist??  can't everyone just go with the content of ones character thing and move on?

Helland will be given a second chance.  He just isn't owed that second chance by the University of Wisconsin.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »
Yes,  my bad. I was going off memory and thought his name was Denning for dinner reason

Well, if you are into cannibalism and that sort of thing, that is Jonathon Demme then.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »

Helland will be given a second chance.  He just isn't owed that second chance by the University of Wisconsin.

why not?  if anyone or place could address this issue best and help him get a "do over" it would be right there at ground zero in madison and with UW.   but if they have already made up their minds, could care less about helland and are not up for the fight, well then... there could also as well be some other underlying factors we are not aware of as well. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 03:32:27 PM »
why not?  if anyone or place could address this issue best and help him get a "do over" it would be right there at ground zero in madison and with UW.   but if they have already made up their minds, could care less about helland and are not up for the fight, well then... there could also as well be some other underlying factors we are not aware of as well. 

I didn't say he *couldn't* get a second chance with UW.  I said he wasn't *owed* one. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
Don’t use racial slurs

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »

Telling a story, and quoting another person (who may have been black for all we know) who used the n-word is racist?  Look, I agree it is dumb to do that and he should have either not told the story or substituted "n-word", but come on!  Unless there were previous incidents of racist behavior with Helland, this is just an apology and promise not to do it again and move on. 

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
This is like the episode of The Office Diversity Day
Maigh Eo for Sam

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
Telling a story, and quoting another person (who may have been black for all we know) who used the n-word is racist?  Look, I agree it is dumb to do that and he should have either not told the story or substituted "n-word", but come on!  Unless there were previous incidents of racist behavior with Helland, this is just an apology and promise not to do it again and move on.

Bingo.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2020, 03:54:01 PM »
I didn't say he *couldn't* get a second chance with UW.  I said he wasn't *owed* one.

gotcha!  i don't know the man nor his past relationship with the school, but in giving him a second chance, i believe it could play a nice role in developing better race relations.  set an example and bring the conversation public, use it as a "teaching moment" as opposed to just trying bury it and moving onto the next "incident".  we already know UW isn't racist cuz they've told us...many times ::)

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2020, 03:58:37 PM »
gotcha!  i don't know the man nor his past relationship with the school, but in giving him a second chance, i believe it could play a nice role in developing better race relations.  set an example and bring the conversation public, use it as a "teaching moment" as opposed to just trying bury it and moving onto the next "incident".  we already know UW isn't racist cuz they've told us...many times ::)

If Wisconsin had a better track record with such matters, it’s entirely possible an apology is all that was necessary. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2020, 04:05:11 PM »
If Wisconsin had a better track record with such matters, it’s entirely possible an apology is all that was necessary.

What's their negative track record? I don't recall any issues at the school.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »
King is still in school. The trainer is now gone. King would probably go back on the team, if his problem was the trainer.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2020, 04:13:03 PM »
What's their negative track record? I don't recall any issues at the school.

A few examples

In 2000, a Daily Cardinal reporter discovered that UW had photoshopped the face of a black student into the cover photo for the 2001-2002 application booklet.

In 2016, a Sellery resident posted photos of Adolf Hitler and swastikas on his dorm room door.

In 2017, the sacred fire circle at Dejope Residence Hall was vandalized with the words “Columbus Rules 1492.”

In 2018, a student filed a hate-bias complaint due to the inclusion of two UW alumni’s names in various spaces in Memorial Union — despite the fact that they were members of a student society that took on the name Ku Klux Klan.

Last spring, a “Make America White Again” and “Mass immigration is white genocide” stickers were plastered on campus light posts.

This fall, the university's homecoming committee took down a two-minute promotional video that featured no students of color

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2020, 04:19:09 PM »

I disagree on the severity but agree it shouldn't be a career ender (assuming Helland is telling the truth).

All this being said,  Helland wasn't fired,  he resigned. And if im reading the articles correctly, the investigation into the allegation is still ongoing, which means this wasn't a forced resignation, it was voluntary. If Helland is telling the truth,  preemptively resigning seems like an odd move
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »
Photoshopping African-American students onto brochures to show diversity, an incident at a football game a few years ago where someone was walking the aisles with Obama in a noose and a video this past October before homecoming touting diversity that showed almost all white students in it.  It’s not major stuff but it doesn’t need to be to have a perception formed. 

And fair or not, the diversity of the basketball team and style they play is perceived as a bit Hoosier-y

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2020, 04:26:59 PM »
Bingo.

I hope the Bad News Bears isn’t playing anytime soon on campus.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »
This is like the episode of The Office Diversity Day

The Michael Scott Chris Rick impersonation was the first thing that popped in my mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »
King is still in school. The trainer is now gone. King would probably go back on the team, if his problem was the trainer.

It wasn’t.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2020, 08:10:04 PM »
I disagree on the severity but agree it shouldn't be a career ender (assuming Helland is telling the truth).

All this being said,  Helland wasn't fired,  he resigned. And if im reading the articles correctly, the investigation into the allegation is still ongoing, which means this wasn't a forced resignation, it was voluntary. If Helland is telling the truth,  preemptively resigning seems like an odd move
That's a good point, though I wonder how much he was "encouraged" to resign.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2020, 12:12:51 PM »

Evan Daniels
@EvanDaniels
·
8m
Source: Wisconsin transfer Kobe King just verbally committed to Nebraska. Has two years of eligibility remaining.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2020, 12:14:54 PM »
Good old Hoiberg Hilton.  No Marquette transfers for him to go after*, so he just moves up 94.

*yet
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2020, 12:31:23 PM »
Badgers fans will handle this choice with great restraint and class

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »
 Sew itz ok ta transfer in conference? Should bee fun wen da 'Huskers play in Mad City, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »
Sew itz ok ta transfer in conference? Should bee fun wen da 'Huskers play in Mad City, aina?

Yeah. UW just got a transfer from OSU.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2020, 01:01:33 PM »
Yeah. UW just got a transfer from OSU.

UW heads are going to explode if he gets a waiver.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2020, 01:28:11 PM »
UW heads are going to explode if he gets a waiver.

a waiver probably won't be necessary.  The one time transfer exception for basketball is likely to be passed soon.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »
Badgers fans will handle this choice with great restraint and class

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyville/good-wesley-matthews-article-t30639.html

Still going after Wes Matthews' mom today.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyville/good-wesley-matthews-article-t30639.html

Still going after Wes Matthews' mom today.

a few are but I was surprised at how many were rather diplomatic about the article.

And, and I still don't understand why people read other teams' boards and get worked up over what's on there...