Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean v Buzz Sat Feb 1  (Read 17108 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Crean v Buzz Sat Feb 1
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 06:53:20 AM »
Crean won me back at the 100th Dinner. Very classy and always speaks highly of Marquette. Had he the benefit of hindsight, I doubt he'd ever have left.

“There’s a sucker born every minute” and “Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me” are two phrases that immediately come to mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »
Crean has had nothing but great things to say about Marquette and left the program in a better place than he received it.

Buzz did neither of those things.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2020, 07:33:48 AM »
I have forgiven and moved on from both of them.     I think Buzz is the better coach overall.   I think Crean has the best player.   I honestly could not care less.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 09:05:44 AM »
I have forgiven and moved on from both of them.     I think Buzz is the better coach overall.   I think Crean has the best player.   I honestly could not care less.

All kidding aside, the handshake line will be the highlight with these two crappy teams playing. I don’t know if true or not, but it was rumored that CTC and Buzz have some bad blood, post Marquette. Something about Crean’s nose was a bit out of whack, I hear. Maybe he has learned humility over time?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:49:39 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2020, 09:30:37 AM »
I don't "care" about the game, but it almost surely will be showing on a TV at the bar I'm going to. So when MU-DeP is on a commercial break and/or halftime, I'll check out the game for sure.

I appreciate what each coach did for Marquette basketball when he was at my alma mater. I am not thrilled with the way either departed. I think Buzz is a better coach, but Crean's been a good coach over the years.

If a were forced to make a bet, I'd bet on Marquette to get back to a Final Four before Buzz's team or Crean's team does. Most likely, none of the 3 will.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »
I will be cheering for a roof cave in. 

Actually, I don't care, I'll be at the Fiserv Forum - looking to go 6-4 in the Big East, en-route to a top 3 finish, and an NCAA tourney bid.  Unlike the teams of Tan Tommy & Brent.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2020, 11:08:13 AM »
I will be cheering for a roof cave in. 

Actually, I don't care, I'll be at the Fiserv Forum - looking to go 6-4 in the Big East, en-route to a top 3 finish, and an NCAA tourney bid.  Unlike the teams of Tan Tommy & Brent.

Have fun, 94W. Get us a win!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »
The better question is who will you be rooting for?

Go Aggies!

Triple whammy for PRN.  Crean beat Buzz, Markus played well, and Wojo got a win.

But on the bright side, we can all agree.  At least Marquette Won!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 03:34:19 PM »
Triple whammy for PRN.  Crean beat Buzz, Markus played well, and Wojo got a win.

Plus Tax Nice Pace

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »

He can curl into the fetal position, suck his thumb, and cuddle his ugly cat.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2020, 03:36:37 PM »
But how was the handshake?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2020, 04:15:21 PM »
But how was the handshake?
I just found the replay on the app. It was nice. Big hug. Look like Buzz ask about someone, Crean pointed in the stands. Another hug. Handshake line final moved.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
I just found the replay on the app. It was nice. Big hug. Look like Buzz ask about someone, Crean pointed in the stands. Another hug. Handshake line final moved.
That was Buzz asking Crean where in the arena the self-flushing toilets are located.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2020, 05:39:05 PM »
A school of MU’s caliber and tradition gave Buzz an opportunity when no comparable program would have rolled the dice on him.  We put him on the map.  I think he’s barely uttered MU’s name publicly, much less had anything good to say about the program since he’s left.  You’re welcome, jerk.

Did the invite use words with more than two syllables?

Got to cut the guy some slack...

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »
Glad Crean won!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2020, 05:57:40 PM »

Yep, this was a real heartbreaking day for MU "fans" who are spending this season rooting for their team to lose. So sad for them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2020, 02:58:05 AM »
“There’s a sucker born every minute” and “Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me” are two phrases that immediately come to mind.

Kick your dog?  Lost the Final Four game by too much?  Wouldn’t have a beer with you after a game?

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2020, 09:50:48 AM »
That was Buzz asking Crean where in the arena the self-flushing toilets are located.

Jabs,

I want you to know that this fine work of comedy has not gone unnoticed. Line of the Day.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2020, 09:53:30 AM »
Crean has had nothing but great things to say about Marquette and left the program in a better place than he received it.

Buzz did neither of those things.

Correct
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »

Correct

One blindsided his boss, who had given him multiple extensions, with his resignation via voicemail when he knew his boss was on a four hour flight. The other worked for a boss and president who were fired as the university which they led was one complete dysfunctional mess, for which he was in the middle of.

What a choice between the two.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »
Of course.  They worked together for a year and TC’s leaving gave Buzz a tremendous opportunity to coach a high major team. He did not have that leaving UNO.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2020, 10:25:03 AM »
One blindsided his boss, who had given him multiple extensions, with his resignation via voicemail when he knew his boss was on a four hour flight. The other worked for a boss and president who were fired as the university which they led was one complete dysfunctional mess, for which he was in the middle of.

What a choice between the two.

One continues to talk about MU in a glowing respect, found a way to celebrate 100 years of MU basketball, is respected by the most important key players of his past at MU who shine the brightest for MU.  Left the program way better than he accepted it including leaving a stacked team for the next guy.

The other made his own bed with his own actions and those of his players and coaches, had a pout fest about it, trashed the program and conference on the way out, absent from the 100th, etc, etc.  Went to a lower level program for less pay.

Indeed, what a choice.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:14:23 AM by Cheeks »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2020, 11:09:24 AM »
One continues to talk about MU in a glowing respect, found a way to celebrate 100 years of MU basketball, is respected by the most important key players of his past at MU who shine the brightest for MU.  Left the program way better than he accepted it including a stacked team.

The other made his own bed with his own actions and those of his players and coaches, had a pout fest about it, trashed the program and conference on the way out, absent from the 100th, etc, etc.  Went to a lower level program for less pay.

Indeed, what a choice.

Rest of Scoop: Both were great basketball coaches but tremendously flawed individuals who left MU in a bafungu shytshow.
Cheeks: Tom Crean apologized a decade later in front of tv cameras while looking for his new job. He is and continues to be MU’s Messiah.

I have to admit, your continued Crean teat suckling is impressive. I will note that MU honored two all time greats yesterday, two of whom played under one of these coaches, and one played under the other.

Lots to celebrate if not for the hypocritical fact neither would have been playing basketball at MU today. Guess what, like you and me, MU is flawed too, something you termed “sad” in regards to my statement of support for MU’s former history of supporting at risk student athletes.

Here is the bottom line, neither of these two should be forgiven for the way they left Marquette. Both left the toilets unflushed. Both should be honored for their basketball contributions which were many.

burger

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2020, 04:14:44 PM »
The real question is......If Buzz had Crean's 2003 team.....

Would he have one a National Championship.....

Let the discussion begin......

Me thinks.....Possibly......

Crean was so far over his head against Roy......

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
No. 

feedback