Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Gard?  (Read 21000 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Fire Gard?
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »
I wish young Mr. King all of the best.   When I read the articles, it reminds me that these are young men and sometimes it is just a bad fit for reasons that aren't clear to outside world.    I don't take pleasure in this, because I remember 10 short months ago when the sky was falling, and accusations were being made, and Wojo is clearly the problem and..... blah blah blah blah blah.   

I do take some pleasure in Badger fan hypocrisy being exposed and having yet another example of why, if my child was talented enough, I would never let him go to Wisconsin.   100% because of how they treat players and families when something goes astray.   It is like a cult.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2020, 08:43:34 AM »
I wish young Mr. King all of the best.   When I read the articles, it reminds me that these are young men and sometimes it is just a bad fit for reasons that aren't clear to outside world.    I don't take pleasure in this, because I remember 10 short months ago when the sky was falling, and accusations were being made, and Wojo is clearly the problem and..... blah blah blah blah blah.   

I do take some pleasure in Badger fan hypocrisy being exposed and having yet another example of why, if my child was talented enough, I would never let him go to Wisconsin.   100% because of how they treat players and families when something goes astray.   It is like a cult.

You got this right, my friend.

Gard was Bo's "associate head coach" when they screwed the pooch with Uthoff, when they messed up royally on Sam, when they missed on Looney, etc. He was the head coach when they failed to land Joey and when Herro decommitted. He then failed again on both Sam and Joey. King bolts. And F%cky Fanatics handle it all so well. They and Gard deserve each other.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2020, 08:52:56 AM »
I think it may be better not to have In State recruits on roster.MU is doing just fine without them.To many people to close to the program hovering around which MU has seen in the past.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »
Don't paint with too broad a brush.  We have had plenty of success with in-state recruits.  No need to exclude them all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2020, 09:01:31 AM »
I think it may be better not to have In State recruits on roster.MU is doing just fine without them.To many people to close to the program hovering around which MU has seen in the past.

I want all the good in-state recruits who want to be Warriors, and all the good out-of-state recruits who want to be Warriors.

I'll happily accept outstanding Canadians and those from across the pond, too.

We Are Marquette!

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »
Agreed.I guess the bad ones have left a sour taste.I think Wojo for the most part has done a good job of who he brings into the program.I do not think anybody envisioned the Hausers leaving.I find it interesting that no one else transferred after the Hausers left. Hmm?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2020, 09:26:49 AM »
Agreed.I guess the bad ones have left a sour taste.I think Wojo for the most part has done a good job of who he brings into the program.I do not think anybody envisioned the Hausers leaving.I find it interesting that no one else transferred after the Hausers left. Hmm?

Well, in fairness, Morrow did leave, though he didn't transfer. But I think you meant transferred along with the Hausers, and you're right. Several apparently were ready to bolt if the Hausers had stayed, though. Double hmm.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2020, 09:31:21 AM »
Don't paint with too broad a brush.  We have had plenty of success with in-state recruits.  No need to exclude them all.

Thank you,

signed:  Steve Novak, Travis Deiner, Wesley Matthews, Tony Smith, Damon Key, Jim McIlvaine, Anthony Pieper, Jim Chones, etc.
Ludum habemus.

burger

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2020, 09:31:44 AM »
Why would you fire Gard.....

He is an average coach that runs a specific system that does not recruit the same type of players that MU wants.....

And those who go there that do not fit are possible MU transfer down the road when they figure out that they do not fit......(Kobe King etc....)

Gard at Wisconsin forever......Go Badgers......LOL!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2020, 09:39:09 AM »
Is there a gofundme to keep Gard? I'd consider it......
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2020, 09:54:25 AM »
Why would you fire Gard.....

He is an average coach that runs a specific system that does not recruit the same type of players that MU wants.....

And those who go there that do not fit are possible MU transfer down the road when they figure out that they do not fit......(Kobe King etc....)

Gard at Wisconsin forever......Go Badgers......LOL!

Yessir, I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy his program's failings.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2020, 10:19:42 AM »
Gard's comments about Kobe King come across as very passive aggressive. Not the type of comments to hear from a coach that will miss one of his players.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
Gard's comments about Kobe King come across as very passive aggressive. Not the type of comments to hear from a coach that will miss one of his players.

Yeah, no.  According to both Katz and Norlander/Parrish the coaching staff definitely did not want Kobe leaving.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »
Thank you,

signed:  Steve Novak, Travis Deiner, Wesley Matthews, Tony Smith, Damon Key, Jim McIlvaine, Anthony Pieper, Jim Chones, etc.

You're welcome,

Signed: Scott Christopherson, Jeronne Maymon, Deonte Burton, Jameel McKay, Nick Noskowiak, Sandy Cohen, Joey Hauser, Jake Thomas, Henry Ellenson, Wally Ellenson

Partially endorsed: Sam Hauser, Duane Wilson

There's definitely painting with too broad a brush but in Wojos experience he's lost Deonte, Duane, Sandy, Hauser 2x, Ellenson 2x, and to deal with head case Noskowiak. Vs Fisher being the only one who's stuck and is seemingly positive about his time. Can't blame him for taking some time off from WI recruits
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »
Mentioned it in the recruiting thread but the state's recruiting is a lot of Blue Blood or mid major right now.  2019 top 100 recruits from Wisconsin-0.  2020 top 100 recruits from Wisconsin-0.  2021 top 100 recruits from Wisconsin-1 (Baldwin, who we absolutely would take, but is likely heading to a BB, or to his dad).  (All per 247 BTW).

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »
You're welcome,

Signed: Scott Christopherson, Jeronne Maymon, Deonte Burton, Jameel McKay, Nick Noskowiak, Sandy Cohen, Joey Hauser, Jake Thomas, Henry Ellenson, Wally Ellenson

Partially endorsed: Sam Hauser, Duane Wilson

There's definitely painting with too broad a brush but in Wojos experience he's lost Deonte, Duane, Sandy, Hauser 2x, Ellenson 2x, and to deal with head case Noskowiak. Vs Fisher being the only one who's stuck and is seemingly positive about his time. Can't blame him for taking some time off from WI recruits

You seriously included Henry Ellenson in a list of players lost? lol

Come on dude.

I also find it hard to be too upset with Duane's situation...he graduated.......was around the program in the summer.....he just knew he wasn't going to take playing time away from Howard and Rowsey  so he went where he had better opportunity.

Heldt also stayed 4 years and was a model student athlete.

If you look at out of state players under Crean, Buzz and Wojo you will find alot of them left too........if a kid is from the state....wants to go to MU and is good enough....bring him on.......as long as he doesn't have a crazy dad

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2020, 11:13:32 AM »
Vs Fisher being the only one who's stuck and is seemingly positive about his time. Can't blame him for taking some time off from WI recruits

You could throw in Matt Heldt too I suppose, but he obviously didn't have as much of an impact.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2020, 11:13:52 AM »
You seriously included Henry Ellenson in a list of players lost? lol

Come on dude.

I also find it hard to be too upset with Duane's situation...he graduated.......was around the program in the summer.....he just knew he wasn't going to take playing time away from Howard and Rowsey  so he went where he had better opportunity.

Heldt also stayed 4 years and was a model student athlete.

If you look at out of state players under Crean, Buzz and Wojo you will find alot of them left too........if a kid is from the state....wants to go to MU and is good enough....bring him on.......as long as he doesn't have a crazy dad

My understanding was that Henry doesn't have very positive feelings toward MU so I included him.

I believe I made a distinction for Duane that was separate from the others.

Forgot about Heldt my bad.

I agree a lot of others have left. I just don't blame Wojo for maybe wanting to wait till a lot of the remaining memories of Hausers and such leave in state minds before hopping back into the talent pool. That being said Chicagoland is closer to Milwaukee than half the state so I don't understand the "in state" obsession.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »
Mentioned it in the recruiting thread but the state's recruiting is a lot of Blue Blood or mid major right now.  2019 top 100 recruits from Wisconsin-0.  2020 top 100 recruits from Wisconsin-0.  2021 top 100 recruits from Wisconsin-1 (Baldwin, who we absolutely would take, but is likely heading to a BB, or to his dad).  (All per 247 BTW).

Jalen Johnson and Jamari Sibley are 2020 top 100 kids from Wisconsin who are prepping elsewhere.  Ditto 2021 Michael Foster.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2020, 11:25:40 AM »
Jalen Johnson and Jamari Sibley are 2020 top 100 kids from Wisconsin who are prepping elsewhere.  Ditto 2021 Michael Foster.

Just further supporting my comment; JJ is Duke bound, Foster is a top 10 recruit that is likely BB bound, and while I think Sibley will have a nice career at Gtown, he is ranked lower than all three of our incoming front-court players.  Point is, there isn't a ton of opportunity for in state talent right now for either MU or UW.  If UW wants to take some flyers on lower ranked in-state kids that's fine, sometimes you have to do that to fill rosters (see Detroit trio).  I just don't support the notion that Wojo is staying away from in-state kids because he's recently got burned by them, he's staying away from them because they're either not good enough, or not a good fit for one reason or another.

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
Just further supporting my comment; JJ is Duke bound, Foster is a top 10 recruit that is likely BB bound, and while I think Sibley will have a nice career at Gtown, he is ranked lower than all three of our incoming front-court players.  Point is, there isn't a ton of opportunity for in state talent right now for either MU or UW.  If UW wants to take some flyers on lower ranked in-state kids that's fine, sometimes you have to do that to fill rosters (see Detroit trio).  I just don't support the notion that Wojo is staying away from in-state kids because he's recently got burned by them, he's staying away from them because they're either not good enough, or not a good fit for one reason or another.

OK, I agree with that with maybe one caveat.  I think he was recruiting Sibley pretty hard until Justin Lewis committed.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
OK, I agree with that with maybe one caveat.  I think he was recruiting Sibley pretty hard until Justin Lewis committed.

Fair point. Had Lewis not committed, I would have absolutely taken Sibley.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2020, 01:43:55 PM »

Johnson is back in WI but not eligible due to WIAA transfer rules
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »
Mike Foster, Sibley, Jalen Johnson???

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »
My understanding was that Henry doesn't have very positive feelings toward MU so I included him.

I believe I made a distinction for Duane that was separate from the others.

Forgot about Heldt my bad.

I agree a lot of others have left. I just don't blame Wojo for maybe wanting to wait till a lot of the remaining memories of Hausers and such leave in state minds before hopping back into the talent pool. That being said Chicagoland is closer to Milwaukee than half the state so I don't understand the "in state" obsession.

I feel like this may have been true right away, but it doesn't sound like that is the case now. He's spoken highly of Marquette in a lot of situations. I think this is one of those things that it was said once and now it lives as a reality.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback