[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kobe King  (Read 10515 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Kobe King
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
This.

Greg is better (though seemingly fragile), and I'd hope MU is aiming higher than King in filling out the roster.  He was ranked 197th out of high school, and to me that is about his level.

Why do you think Greg is better? He hasn't shown it on the court.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »
This.

Greg is better (though seemingly fragile), and I'd hope MU is aiming higher than King in filling out the roster.  He was ranked 197th out of high school, and to me that is about his level.

That’s his worst ranking, and I think he got dinged a bit committing very early.

He’s a decent player who could have a well-defined role to showcase himself for Europe.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 04:01:45 PM »
Why do you think Greg is better? He hasn't shown it on the court.
As noted in the Fire Gard thread, Elliott is a far better shooter, equal rebounder, is a better passer (more assists per minute, better ast/TO ratio), and has more steals per minute and game.  Not sure about defensively, the advanced stats would have to answer that one, though he fouls less frequently the King.  None of the difference are huge, except for 3-point shooting, but they all consistently tip in Greg's favor.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/01/31/kobe-king-discusses-his-frustrations-badgers-basketball-coach/4622657002/

"Another sharp accusation from King was that he said he felt like a servant, like he was being used to win games and nothing more."

Wow.... God forbid anyone would ever get recruited to a team because they thought you might be able to help them win games.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/01/31/kobe-king-discusses-his-frustrations-badgers-basketball-coach/4622657002/

"Another sharp accusation from King was that he said he felt like a servant, like he was being used to win games and nothing more."

Wow.... God forbid anyone would ever get recruited to a team because they thought you might be able to help them win games.

"Servant" is a hot-button word, with a connotation that goes way beyond just helping win games.

Whether he actually was treated like that, felt like that, or whatever, none of us knows.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 03:54:15 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2020, 07:27:48 AM »
Interesting development.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2020, 08:27:01 AM »
Local news showed high (or low)lights from the Minny game last night, but no mention of this allegation.   Just sweep it all under the rug, nothing to see here.

Gard's statement is horrible, at least word your answer better. 

This will really help already poor race relations at the Land Grant university, if the allegations are true.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »
That’s an allegation Kobe better be truthful about.  I’m all for the Badgers basketball program imploding but if he’s making this allegation up in an attempt to get immediate eligibility next season, that’s inexcusable. 

There are many things unlikeable about that program but this is the first time a player has accused the program of something like this.  I hope it’s not true because it’s 2020 and it’s unacceptable.  If it turns out to be true, good luck to them moving forward because without a lot of consequences, they’d be dead in the water
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2020, 10:29:27 AM »
That’s an allegation Kobe better be truthful about.  I’m all for the Badgers basketball program imploding but if he’s making this allegation up in an attempt to get immediate eligibility next season, that’s inexcusable. 

There are many things unlikeable about that program but this is the first time a player has accused the program of something like this.  I hope it’s not true because it’s 2020 and it’s unacceptable.  If it turns out to be true, good luck to them moving forward because without a lot of consequences, they’d be dead in the water

That precedent was set by Justin Fields transferring from UGA to OSU for football.  It wasn't a staffer, but a UGA baseball player using a racial slur.  That was ammunition his attorney used for a waiver.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 10:49:30 AM »
Local news showed high (or low)lights from the Minny game last night, but no mention of this allegation.   Just sweep it all under the rug, nothing to see here.

CBS 58 had something.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »

Gard's statement is horrible, at least word your answer better. 

This will really help already poor race relations at the Land Grant university, if the allegations are true.

Potrykus said their strength coach is on administrative leave. Not sure if that’s standard for any investigation.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2020, 11:34:16 AM »

The program, yes. But the university has had its share of racism incidents.  It's something the leadership of the university needs to tackle, or risk losing out on potential students (including student athletes).

One of my Latina students visited Marquette and Madison over the weekend and when I asked her about the two schools her first comment was "Madison was so white."  Marquette, on the other hand, felt more open to her.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2020, 11:37:56 AM »
The program, yes. But the university has had its share of racism incidents.  It's something the leadership of the university needs to tackle, or risk losing out on potential students (including student athletes).

One of my Latina students visited Marquette and Madison over the weekend and when I asked her about the two schools her first comment was "Madison was so white."  Marquette, on the other hand, felt more open to her.

At least they won’t photoshop Kobe into a picture to show diversity.  Probably
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
As noted in the Fire Gard thread, Elliott is a far better shooter, equal rebounder, is a better passer (more assists per minute, better ast/TO ratio), and has more steals per minute and game.  Not sure about defensively, the advanced stats would have to answer that one, though he fouls less frequently the King.  None of the difference are huge, except for 3-point shooting, but they all consistently tip in Greg's favor.

turnover rate and usage I think are two things you need to look at.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2020, 12:15:09 PM »
CBS 58 had something.

I'm in the people's republic, kin.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2020, 12:26:06 PM »

They hadn’t been given their talking points yet

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »

From experience, is it isn't uncommon for kids to throw allegations out to see what works (verbal abuse is the most common one). Kin will need to get substantiating documentation of this happening. Fields should have never been granted a waiver. Georgia was such a hostile environment they kicked the baseball player off the team and canceled his scholarship, and Fields' sister signed to play softball there. The waiver process in these situations has been tightened up because people realized they'd been played by Fields and his attorney. King is playing with fire here.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »
From experience, is it isn't uncommon for kids to throw allegations out to see what works (verbal abuse is the most common one). Kin will need to get substantiating documentation of this happening. Fields should have never been granted a waiver. Georgia was such a hostile environment they kicked the baseball player off the team and canceled his scholarship, and Fields' sister signed to play softball there. The waiver process in these situations has been tightened up because people realized they'd been played by Fields and his attorney. King is playing with fire here.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/02/06/uw-places-strength-coach-administrative-leave/4678313002/

It’s behind a paywall and I can’t read it but it sounds like the strength coach repeated a speech he heard in the nba that included the n-word when dealing with a walk on.  The player was offended and the coach apologized.  King told the story in his exit interview

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2020, 01:06:42 PM »

Sounds like you are accusing the kid of being a liar despite not knowing a single thing about the alleged incident.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/02/06/uw-places-strength-coach-administrative-leave/4678313002/

It’s behind a paywall and I can’t read it but it sounds like the strength coach repeated a speech he heard in the nba that included the n-word when dealing with a walk on.  The player was offended and the coach apologized.  King told the story in his exit interview

Well based on this quote from King's departing statement I doubt Welland (S&C coach) is the culprit:King thanked numerous people in his Instagram post, including Helland.
"I also want to thank our strength trainer Coach Helland and my academic advisors."

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
Well based on this quote from King's departing statement I doubt Welland (S&C coach) is the culprit:King thanked numerous people in his Instagram post, including Helland.
"I also want to thank our strength trainer Coach Helland and my academic advisors."

He didn’t travel with the team to Minnesota last night and is on administrative leave.  It coincided with King’s exit interview.

That said, I agree that it’s odd Kobe mentioned him in his IG post. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2020, 01:24:29 PM »
They hadn’t been given their talking points yet

11:36 am, channel 27 posted the story online.  So....you were right.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2020, 02:03:04 PM »
Sounds like you are accusing the kid of being a liar despite not knowing a single thing about the alleged incident.

no, but I'm saying he's playing with fire if it's not true. I hear all kinds of accusations of "abuse," followed by "is this enough to get a waiver?" Then those allegations cannot be substantiated.

I look at the Fields case and shake my head at how brazen he and his lawyer were in painting Georgia as "racially hostile" when they took severe action against the one individual and his family thought it was a perfect environment for their daughter to play and attend school, and how gutless the NCAA was in granting him the waiver.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2020, 02:08:33 PM »

3 and 47’s sports guy (until next week) is an MU alum.