[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1110821 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6875 on: June 26, 2020, 11:20:15 AM »
Wait, so, we weren't supposed to be apologizing to Ron DeSantis?

We should have been listening to scientists and epidemiologists the entire time, and let the politicians shape the policy around what the scientists say.

Otherwise, why bother having scientists at all.
I repeat myself...(actually I repeat Tom Tomorrow).
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6876 on: June 26, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »
I think brewcity77 posted it here, but I have seen it elsewhere.     If 80% of the people wear masks 80% of the time, this would be all but done by autumn.   But......murca
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6877 on: June 26, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »
I repeat myself...(actually I repeat Tom Tomorrow).

I love that Tom Tomorrow.  He was a local New Haven area guy until last year.  He moved to NYC after going through a divorce.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6878 on: June 26, 2020, 11:46:18 AM »
And we should all be wearing masks

I got attacked yesterday (verbally) by someone when I suggested people not wearing masks aren’t good people.  I used strong language, so I deserved it but the excuses for not wearing one are poor.  Like everything else, it’s political.  One thing has held largely true through our history of how to handle pandemics, especially when we learn we can transmit it to other humans, and that’s wearing masks can be very effective in preventing the spread.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #6879 on: June 26, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/dremilyportermd/status/1276336319715835905

"Wear a mask. That is, unless you want to be intubated by a gynecology intern July 1st who did her last semester of med school via Zoom."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6880 on: June 26, 2020, 12:51:14 PM »
And we should all be wearing masks

Absolutely. And following strict social distancing, coming into close proximity with a non-immediate family member when necessary (i.e., at the grocery checkout).

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #6881 on: June 26, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »
I think brewcity77 posted it here, but I have seen it elsewhere.     If 80% of the people wear masks 80% of the time, this would be all but done by autumn.   But......murca

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6882 on: June 26, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
I got attacked yesterday (verbally) by someone when I suggested people not wearing masks aren’t good people.  I used strong language, so I deserved it but the excuses for not wearing one are poor.  Like everything else, it’s political.  One thing has held largely true through our history of how to handle pandemics, especially when we learn we can transmit it to other humans, and that’s wearing masks can be very effective in preventing the spread.

Whether it is "political" is up for interpretation. It is just one foolish man trying to make it so.

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #6883 on: June 26, 2020, 03:06:44 PM »
3 weeks ago, I was really hopeful that maybe, just maybe we had gotten through the worst of Covid-19 and that things had stabilized a bit.  Deaths were significantly down, hospitalizations were minimal in most places (not all, but most), cases were still on the high side but nowhere near what they were at the peak.  It was to the point that there was very little talk in the media about it, protests became the big story and Covid was relegated to 2nd place in terms of major news by far. 

3 weeks later, I think everything is completely different in a negative way.  With 40,000 cases found in one day, there is no way to sugarcoat that as a positive.  It is becoming fairly evident that some of the largest states, Texas, Florida, and California are now being hit with what either is the 2nd wave, or a more intense version of the 1st wave of infections.  Some of the other Southern and Southwest states are getting hit hard as well. 

I think it's a combination of extremely hot weather forcing more people in the South to spend more time indoors and more mass gatherings going on due to re-openings and people just being sick of lockdown and saying Screw-it!!  I'm not looking forward to seeing the death count from this new wave a month from now.  Maybe the only thing better about this wave is there is a possible treatment for the worst cases needing ventilators (the Dexamethasone steroid) so perhaps deaths can be at least somewhat more controlled this time but even that steroid isn't considered a sure fire cure. 

That all said.... 40,000 cases found in one day is a nightmare scenario.  We're right back to where we were when this thing peaked in April.  Not good. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #6884 on: June 26, 2020, 03:27:49 PM »
3 weeks ago, I was really hopeful that maybe, just maybe we had gotten through the worst of Covid-19 and that things had stabilized a bit.  Deaths were significantly down, hospitalizations were minimal in most places (not all, but most), cases were still on the high side but nowhere near what they were at the peak.  It was to the point that there was very little talk in the media about it, protests became the big story and Covid was relegated to 2nd place in terms of major news by far. 

3 weeks later, I think everything is completely different in a negative way.  With 40,000 cases found in one day, there is no way to sugarcoat that as a positive.  It is becoming fairly evident that some of the largest states, Texas, Florida, and California are now being hit with what either is the 2nd wave, or a more intense version of the 1st wave of infections.  Some of the other Southern and Southwest states are getting hit hard as well. 

I think it's a combination of extremely hot weather forcing more people in the South to spend more time indoors and more mass gatherings going on due to re-openings and people just being sick of lockdown and saying Screw-it!!  I'm not looking forward to seeing the death count from this new wave a month from now.  Maybe the only thing better about this wave is there is a possible treatment for the worst cases needing ventilators (the Dexamethasone steroid) so perhaps deaths can be at least somewhat more controlled this time but even that steroid isn't considered a sure fire cure. 

That all said.... 40,000 cases found in one day is a nightmare scenario.  We're right back to where we were when this thing peaked in April.  Not good.

Surprised you didn’t mention the main mass gathering that started happening, oh about 3 weeks ago now that involved shoulder to shoulder yelling for hours on end.  Arguing the mask or no mask thing as political but leaving that minor thing out, had nothing to do with the politics around it hey.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6885 on: June 26, 2020, 03:32:53 PM »
Surprised you didn’t mention the main mass gathering that started happening, oh about 3 weeks ago now that involved shoulder to shoulder yelling for hours on end.  Arguing the mask or no mask thing as political but leaving that minor thing out, had nothing to do with the politics around it hey.

Well we haven't seen huge increases in cases in many places where they had these protestts - like Minnesota for instance.

Where we have seen them is where a large number of people are congregating indoors.  Like bars in Florida and Texas.  Which is why they are closing. 

Unmasked, not spaced, indoors, sustained contact for 15 minutes.  That is how it spreads.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6886 on: June 26, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »

Well we haven't seen huge increases in cases in many places where they had these protestts - like Minnesota for instance.

Where we have seen them is where a large number of people are congregating indoors.  Like bars in Florida and Texas.  Which is why they are closing. 

Unmasked, not spaced, indoors, sustained contact for 15 minutes.  That is how it spreads.

Can we get an Amen.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6887 on: June 26, 2020, 03:43:28 PM »

That is because there haven't been any outbreaks of COVID where the largest of the protests were happening.      However, there are huge outbreaks in states that didn't shut down, that didn't encourage quarantining or social distancing, that opened at the earliest, and are led by acolytes of the POTUS.     But I am sure that is merely coincidence.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #6888 on: June 26, 2020, 03:48:29 PM »

I have no doubt that SOME cases are out there due to the protests, but I think Fluffy Blue Monster is right, it is primarily indoors where the virus is likely to spread more rapidly. 

I was in Phoenix, AZ in February and got out of there about 2 weeks before the virus started getting bad across the country.  When I was there, it was comfortable to go outside most of the day and not spend too much time indoors.  Now that same area I was staying at in February, is now at 111 degrees out for a high temp today.  There is no way you can spend much time outdoors at 111 degrees unless you've got misty cold water blowing on you.  People are staying inside in air conditioned areas and it's contributing to spread in places like AZ that maybe weren't hit hard in March and April.  I think this is probably the true 1st wave of infections for AZ, CA, TX, and FL among other states.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6889 on: June 26, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »

Cases in Hennepin County (Minneapolis) - the epicenter of the protest movement - are DOWN from 3 weeks ago.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6890 on: June 26, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
I have no doubt that SOME cases are out there due to the protests, but I think Fluffy Blue Monster is right, it is primarily indoors where the virus is likely to spread more rapidly. 

I was in Phoenix, AZ in February and got out of there about 2 weeks before the virus started getting bad across the country.  When I was there, it was comfortable to go outside most of the day and not spend too much time indoors.  Now that same area I was staying at in February, is now at 111 degrees out for a high temp today.  There is no way you can spend much time outdoors at 111 degrees unless you've got misty cold water blowing on you.  People are staying inside in air conditioned areas and it's contributing to spread in places like AZ that maybe weren't hit hard in March and April.  I think this is probably the true 1st wave of infections for AZ, CA, TX, and FL among other states.

Wow, we were told the warm weather would kill this thing.

But, I feel the same as you did. After the initial blow, I was very optimistic things would start to get better. But southern governors screwed the pooch on this.

EU countries did the right thing, took the economic hit, and are now on the way to opening up both their societies and their economies.

We took the physical and economic hits and are no better off. Cases are rising at an unbelievable pace and there are more economic hits on the way.

If people don’t do the right thing now, fall could be devastating.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6891 on: June 26, 2020, 04:13:39 PM »

As I read this post of yours, I said to myself: "Just wait until some Scooper blames it all on the protests."

And then I got to the next post.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #6892 on: June 26, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
The economic hit was initially about the shutdowns.  But the economic damage will sustain if people don't feel safe.  And studies have shown that even without shutdowns, people aren't going to spend.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/26/883899342/wallets-are-already-on-lockdown-people-pare-spending-as-sunbelt-cases-surge

Here is the underlying study that shows individual choices are much more signficant than the lockdowns when it the fall in consumer traffic.

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/working-paper/2020-80/

IOW, reopening wasn't going to make the economy better.  Making people safe was.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #6893 on: June 26, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
As I read this post of yours, I said to myself: "Just wait until some Scooper blames it all on the protests."

And then I got to the next post.

Not at all what I said.  Just surprised he left it off a list I agreed with. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6894 on: June 26, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »
The economic hit was initially about the shutdowns.  But the economic damage will sustain if people don't feel safe.  And studies have shown that even without shutdowns, people aren't going to spend.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/26/883899342/wallets-are-already-on-lockdown-people-pare-spending-as-sunbelt-cases-surge

Here is the underlying study that shows individual choices are much more signficant than the lockdowns when it the fall in consumer traffic.

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/working-paper/2020-80/

IOW, reopening wasn't going to make the economy better.  Making people safe was.

That was my point. We took the economic hit to make us safer. Through the actions of our leaders and millions of people across the country, we aren't.

As far as spending, I said months ago that people were not going to spend and it will be years before the economy is back. Folks don't want to get caught out in the cold when the second wave hits. Any extra $$$ are getting put away for that scenario.

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #6895 on: June 26, 2020, 06:00:26 PM »
Not at all what I said.  Just surprised he left it off a list I agreed with.

As others have pointed out, where the protests were prevalent hasn't completely matched where the recent spikes have been.  The protests in the Northern states don't seem to have brought a ton of new cases to those states.  There were major protests in the Twin Cities, Chicago, New York and yet it doesn't seem like they got an unreasonable amount of new cases.  In New York they are as low as they have been in awhile.

You've got a state like Florida, I'm sure there were some protests there, but I never heard that it was as prevalent there in terms of some of the cities mentioned above.  I really think with Florida's huge spike, it's more because this is their hot and humid season. There's more people indoors when they're not at a beach or swimming pool than there were 3 months ago when the weather was a little bit more forgiving for long periods outdoors.  You combine the weather forcing more indoors time with more businesses/bars being open and I think it's a good part of all the explosion of cases there.

I am sure there were some cases of spread due to the protests, but I really believe it's the indoor environments where the spread is most prevalent.  I think that's why everyone's more worried about November here in Wisconsin for the next wave as you'll have kids in school and more activities move indoors as the weather becomes too miserable to spend much time outdoors.  God, I hope we don't have another freaking shutdown here in WI but unfortunately it won't surprise me if we do, or at least some sort of partial shutdown. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6896 on: June 26, 2020, 06:06:56 PM »
That was my point. We took the economic hit to make us safer. Through the actions of our leaders and millions of people across the country, we aren't.

As far as spending, I said months ago that people were not going to spend and it will be years before the economy is back. Folks don't want to get caught out in the cold when the second wave hits. Any extra $$$ are getting put away for that scenario.

I bought some more T.P. and Kleenex at Costco today. Just gettin' ready.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6897 on: June 26, 2020, 06:33:41 PM »

Your right, there’s a demand problem right now. And the economy isn’t helped if people put their stimulus checks into rainy day savings. Maybe in the next bailout instead of checks we should give out debit cards with expiration dates and no “cash back” features. Instant stimulus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6898 on: June 26, 2020, 06:34:29 PM »

Your right, there’s a demand problem right now. And the economy isn’t helped if people put their stimulus checks into rainy day savings. Maybe in the next bailout instead of checks we should give out debit cards with expiration dates and no “cash back” features. Instant stimulus.

Bread and circuses!

• All American
« Reply #6899 on: June 26, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »

So they'll use that to purchase stuff, and stick their regular money in the bank instead.

People aren't spending because they want to be prepared in case the economic situation is worse.  It's about confidence.  And its bad right now.

feedback