[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Your Greatest Expectation v. Reality as a Sports Fan  (Read 7620 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Your Greatest Expectation v. Reality as a Sports Fan
« on: January 27, 2020, 01:19:41 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day with regards to the last MU coaching search.  What has been the moment as a sports fan that has caused you to get excited about the future, only to turn out to not come close to meeting expectations?

For instance, mine was when the Packers hired Forrest Gregg as head coach.  Former Packer who lead the Bengals to the Super Bowl - I thought for sure the Packers were going to turn around under his leadership.  That did not happen.

Also when the Bucks won the draft lottery for Glenn Robinson.  I was confident he was going to be their next great player.  I pictured him doing Giannis things before I knew what Giannis things were.  He ended up being a decent player but nope...

Conversely, I was very excited when I heard that former Giants HC Bill Parcells had turned down the coaching gig in Tampa and was the leading candidate to work for newly hired Packer GM Ron Wolf.  Only to be disappointed when Wolf hired Mike Holmgren instead.  That turned out well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Your Greatest Expectation v. Reality as a Sports Fan
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 01:25:14 PM »
Pretty much anything the Bucks did from 1992-2018, outside of drafting Giannis.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 01:35:49 PM »
I expected the signing of Charles Woodson to be a terrible decision. I am happy to eat crow on that one.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 01:36:53 PM »
Easy.  Trevor Mbakwe.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 01:41:01 PM »
Mark Prior.

After the 2003 season, he looked destine to be the Cubs ace for the next decade. At that time, it would have been extremely difficult to believe that his career would be over just three years later.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 01:57:04 PM »
Jabari Parker.  I thought he needed to be Batman for the Bucks to turn into a real title contender.  Oops!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 02:03:58 PM »
After winning the '05 Series, the White Sox went out and added a couple of all-stars (Jim Thome and Javier Vasquez), re-signed Paul Konerko to a long-term deal and looked to be set up to contend for the next 3-5 years.
They've won one playoff game since.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
After winning the '05 Series, the White Sox went out and added a couple of all-stars (Jim Thome and Javier Vasquez), re-signed Paul Konerko to a long-term deal and looked to be set up to contend for the next 3-5 years.
They've won one playoff game since.
You're right.  That is bad.

i thought Lou Piniella would bring the Cubs a WS.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:08:13 PM by WI inferiority Complexes »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »
The Bucks signing Anthony Mason was going to put them over the hump. It did not.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »
Those are all really good Fluff.  I've got to think on some times I was clearly wrong.  They're so darn numerous it's hard to come up with the best.  But I remember being 'right' twice.  I thought both Drew Brees and Russell Wilson would be stars and couldn't believe GMs didn't pick 'em early.  I have decided that I'm a QB guru as a result.  I didn't need teal, did I? 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »
The jury is still out but for many wearing Blue it is one word: Harbaugh

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
Rex Grossman, Rashaan Salaam, Curtis Enis, Curtis Conway, Cade McNown, David Terrell, Cedric Benson, Kevin White...

Marc Trestman

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 04:23:13 PM »
I got it. I got it.  I remember exactly where I was and being very excited when Vanilla Soft Serve announced his verbal commitment.

Shame.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 04:23:40 PM »

How do alums view this? Poor record vs OSU. Haven't won the conference. Haven't made the playoff.

Has he been that much more successful than his predecessors or others who were targeted in the same hiring season?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »

Good God the irony on this is so rich.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »
Good God the irony on this is so rich.

Jury is too busy on Wojo ;D ;D ;D

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »
Rex Grossman, Rashaan Salaam, Curtis Enis, Curtis Conway, Cade McNown, David Terrell, Cedric Benson, Kevin White...

Marc Trestman

Curtis Conway does not belong on that list. He had a very solid NFL career.

As for the rest, yes. Replace Conway with Mitch.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 05:08:17 PM »
The Lions hiring Bobby Ross and Steve Mariucci.

The Lions drafting Joey Harrington.

The Tigers in the 2006 World Series.

Dameon Mason.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
How do alums view this? Poor record vs OSU. Haven't won the conference. Haven't made the playoff.

Has he been that much more successful than his predecessors or others who were targeted in the same hiring season?

Honestly? I think its humbled even the proudest of Michigan Men^TM.  Everyone's getting restless, but to what end? If Harbaugh can't do it, whats the next move?  I think its starting to reset expectations.  And that's fine! Michigan has still been very good!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »

The candidates that year were Jim Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh, and Jim Harbaugh.

Based on RichRod and Hoke, he has been more successful. He's beaten Michigan State and gone to Jan 1 bowl games. But, he still hasn't been to a Big Ten title game or the playoff, whereas OSU and MSU have. Definitely, the Wolvies set themselves up for disappointment as many (the ones who the only time they've ever set foot on a college campus is for a football game) though Harbaugh would never lose a game. Others still had outsized expectations but couldn't foresee OSU being at the ridiculously high level they have reached. At least he's beaten MSU.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 06:12:06 PM »
Honestly? I think its humbled even the proudest of Michigan Men^TM.  Everyone's getting restless, but to what end? If Harbaugh can't do it, whats the next move?  I think its starting to reset expectations.  And that's fine! Michigan has still been very good!

I'd love to sit down and listen to any cross-over Michigan football+Marquette basketball fans discuss those respective sports/head coaches/recent success.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 06:22:19 PM »
The candidates that year were Jim Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh, and Jim Harbaugh.

Based on RichRod and Hoke, he has been more successful. He's beaten Michigan State and gone to Jan 1 bowl games. But, he still hasn't been to a Big Ten title game or the playoff, whereas OSU and MSU have. Definitely, the Wolvies set themselves up for disappointment as many (the ones who the only time they've ever set foot on a college campus is for a football game) though Harbaugh would never lose a game. Others still had outsized expectations but couldn't foresee OSU being at the ridiculously high level they have reached. At least he's beaten MSU.

I'm not a Michigan fan and don't have much of an opinion on Harbaugh either way, but I think he's gotten a mostly unfair rap, partially because he was viewed as the second coming and a savior.  He took over a program that had went 20-18 the previous 3 seasons and made them competitive again right away.  No he hasn't beat OSU, but nobody really has.  When he took over Michigan in that abysmal state, OSU was coming off a National Championship, ahead of schedule, and was lead by one of the top 5, if not top 3, CFB coaches of all time.  There is not a coach in the country that is going to be consistently successful against that outside of Dabo and Saban right now.

Especially if Michigan wants to play old school rough and tumble football against the modern lightning attack of OSU, they are gonna struggle, just like UW and others.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:58 PM »
I'm not a Michigan fan and don't have much of an opinion on Harbaugh either way, but I think he's gotten a mostly unfair rap, partially because he was viewed as the second coming and a savior.  He took over a program that had went 20-18 the previous 3 seasons and made them competitive again right away.  No he hasn't beat OSU, but nobody really has.  When he took over Michigan in that abysmal state, OSU was coming off a National Championship, ahead of schedule, and was lead by one of the top 5, if not top 3, CFB coaches of all time.  There is not a coach in the country that is going to be consistently successful against that outside of Dabo and Saban right now.

Especially if Michigan wants to play old school rough and tumble football against the modern lightning attack of OSU, they are gonna struggle, just like UW and others.

This.  He's righted the ship, and Michigan wins when they are favorites and loses when they are underdogs.  I think it'd be nice if they keep climbing a bit and are consistent favorites against the other non-tOSU big ten.  And I think that tOSU will slowly start to come back to Earth, too. They are on an unreal run, but odds are that they will regress at least a little post-Urban.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 06:40:05 PM »
Big 3 in Minnesota.. KG, Spree, Sam Cassell.. great regular season, MVP, Western Conf finals.. I'm at the Target Center watching the Lakers against us.. and thinking.. 'yeah, finally we've made it'..

Since then, it's shocking how absolutely awful the franchise has been.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 06:47:28 PM »
Angels with Pujols.   Got the best record within a few years, but ran into the Royals in the post season.  The window closed.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback