[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:08:31 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Markus' head?  (Read 11915 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Markus' head?
« on: January 25, 2020, 01:52:46 AM »

I know the only thing that matters is winning and losing, but has anyone heard how Markus is doing after taking that elbow to the head?

He didn't look right after that hit and actually looked pale and glassy eyed in some of the close-ups.

Did Wojo say anything in the post game presser??

If anyone has heard anything and would care to reply I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:40:05 PM by mu_hilltopper »

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Nothing Important
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »
I know the only thing that matters is winning and losing, but has anyone heard how Markus is doing after taking that elbow to the head?

He didn't look right after that hit and actually looked pale and glassy eyed in some of the close-ups.

I had the same thought. I was surprised when they came back to see he was going right back into the game. At minimum I thought he’d be out for a minute or two while they looked him over.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »
He looked possibly concussed to me, but I’m not a doctor and didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night either.  Didn’t he miss a non con game with concussion symptoms?  The probability of successive concussions increases and can be more severe or need longer recovery.  Hoping he is ok.  He may have passed the tests on the bench immediately, but felt more effects as time went on.  Obviously, we will see. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:58:58 AM by Miss Katie’s »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »
He looked concussed to me.  Didn’t he miss a non con game with concussion symptoms?  The probability of successive concussions increases and can be more severe or need longer recovery.  Hoping he is ok.

That's what I recalled which is why I was really concerned when he went down. No word from the team yet, so hopefully no news is good news.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 11:17:36 AM »
That's what I recalled which is why I was really concerned when he went down. No word from the team yet, so hopefully no news is good news.

The team is going to keep it hidden anyways if it truly is a concussion.  Why?  Because their medical staff severely screwed up by letting Howard play through it, if that is indeed the case.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
The team is going to keep it hidden anyways if it truly is a concussion.  Why?  Because their medical staff severely screwed up by letting Howard play through it, if that is indeed the case.

Major red mark on Wojo if Howard is out Wednesday with a concussion. Also, if he wasn’t able to pass concussion protocol last time, why was he even at the game? It all seems very dumb and dangerous to me.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »

If he is truly concussed the team won't be able to hide it. He will have to sit the next game. If they put him out on the floor and he got severely injured I can't imagine the uproar that would ensue.

In the Butler game if Markus said he was okay to play, the team could probably get away with it, but after a day to assess him fully there would be no plausible deniability.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »
If he is truly concussed the team won't be able to hide it. He will have to sit the next game. If they put him out on the floor and he got severely injured I can't imagine the uproar that would ensue.

In the Butler game if Markus said he was okay to play, the team could probably get away with it, but after a day to assess him fully there would be no plausible deniability.
Wrong. The person who gets hit in the head doesn't get to decide. The team cant get away with that if they knew he was concussed and then putting him in because he said he was ok to play. What the hell are u thinking.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 12:00:41 PM »

The protocol is in place precisely to prevent either the team or the player from saying “rub some dirt on it and get back out there.”
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 12:47:30 PM »
The protocol is in place precisely to prevent either the team or the player from saying “rub some dirt on it and get back out there.”

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't possibly do the same level testing court side that you can post game. I don't know what the actual protocol is to allow a player to continue but I would imagine it's fairly standard. Quick tests of sensitivity to light and sound, historical and situational awareness, etc.

All types of brain injuries are not the same and the onset of the negative effects can sometimes be delayed.

Regardless, Markus didn't look right after the elbow to the head.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 12:58:29 PM »

Ah yes...Mike Deane who has been wrong so many times is now rendering medical diagnosis from his couch.  Good Lord.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »
A lot of speculation going on here without an ounce of knowledge as to what happened.

OUTSTANDING
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 01:17:43 PM »
We need more witnesses

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
I guess what I'm saying is that you can't possibly do the same level testing court side that you can post game. I don't know what the actual protocol is to allow a player to continue but I would imagine it's fairly standard. Quick tests of sensitivity to light and sound, historical and situational awareness, etc.

All types of brain injuries are not the same and the onset of the negative effects can sometimes be delayed.

So therefore the effects of the red herring concussion, didn't affect Markus's performance because the "effects can sometimes be delayed."

Keep posting buddy.  We are all more enlightened as a result of your genius. 

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »
So therefore the effects of the red herring concussion, didn't affect Markus's performance because the "effects can sometimes be delayed."

Keep posting buddy.  We are all more enlightened as a result of your genius.

You obviously know nothing about brain injuries or basketball.

Probably because you have the former and have never played the latter.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »

More rich irony. Keep it up!

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »
More rich irony. Keep it up!

Hitting too close to home ??

Why else would you respond??

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
Hitting too close to home ??

Why else would you respond??

I respond because it triggers your responses - which I find highly amusing and entertaining. Fun to laugh. Thanks for the entertainment on this slow Saturday.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Markus' head?
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 02:00:52 PM »
Oh no, the internet doctors are back!!!

Does this mean we have to go through another mindless and useless discussion of HIIPPAAA
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 02:04:17 PM »
I respond because it triggers your responses - which I find highly amusing and entertaining. Fun to laugh. Thanks for the entertainment on this slow Saturday.

Yeah, but you know it's only funny because it's true.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »

Whoa. You have posted over 40 odds times since the game with 95% on this play and the concussion you diagnosed on TV.  You might be right.  Or Butler may have made adjustments. Or it was both.

You seem certain of your finding to the point where you defend it over and over, and accuse MU as being incompetent. The rest of us see basketball reasons too...and trust and know MU's training and medical staff.  Don't you think that they were observing him over and over for the next hour and a half?

You are at the point of being over the top. Call me silly.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 02:06:55 PM »
Witch hed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »

“Wojo should be commended for getting his team to play well despite injuries to Greg, Jayce, Theo, Koby, and now Markus.”

You love to point out how 50% of our team is injured, even when all those guys except Greg are in the rotation, and all of them but Jayce are playing max minutes (but only because that’s not his role).  Because if half the team is hurt, it really isn’t Wojo’s fault that they’re not playing to their full potential.  It’s just bad luck.

Even if Markus plays 38 minutes and takes 25 shots next game, I’m guessing there’s a good chance you’ll continue to talk about how injured he is.  It makes for a nice red herring.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
Tower mentioned he saw a video where Markus was elbowed in the head. I don't recall that, just the slide into the chair. Anyone have a link to such a video?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:40 PM »
I took a few screenshots (quality is best I could get) of the play and am just not seeing any elbow or malicious intent like a few others have mentioned.

Screenshot #1: Butler guy goes up with both hands as if to block the ball.

Screenshot #2: Best evidence I could find of an "elbow"

Screenshot #3 & #4: Markus appears to turn his head towards the hoop as if to see if the ball went in. Don't think he'd make that reaction if he just got clocked in the head.

Screenshot #5: Head hitting the chair.

feedback