Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Article on National Marquette Day move to Sunday  (Read 8531 times)

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
Article on National Marquette Day move to Sunday
« on: January 22, 2020, 08:19:54 AM »

Which Scoopers were responsible for starting the petition and Facebook group to get this switched back to Saturday?

============

https://marquettewire.org/4024709/news/national-marquette-day-changes-saturday-tradition/

This story was written by Matthew Choate. He can be reached at matthew.choate@marquette.edu.

Every year a celebration called National Marquette Day takes place nationwide. While the 25-year-old event often takes place on a Saturday, this year it lands on Sunday, Feb. 9, when Marquette men’s basketball takes on Butler.

A petition was started to try to get National Marquette Day changed back to Saturday, which over 3000 people have already signed. Also, a Facebook group called “The Real Natty Marquette Day” was started in order to celebrate National Marquette Day the Saturday before, Feb. 1, when Marquette takes on DePaul. 

Danielle Josetti, who oversees the marketing and ticketing teams in the athletic department at Marquette and is the executive associate athletic director, said the men’s basketball team only has home games on three weekends in February, on Feb. 1, 9 and 29.

Stacy Mitz, associate vice president for engagement, said “the game selected for National Marquette Day is one that is nationally televised due to the celebration across the country.”

Josetti said the game on Feb. 1 isn’t a nationally televised game, so National Marquette Day couldn’t take place that day.

Senior day takes place on Feb. 29. Josetto said they “believed the seniors deserved to have that day to be a celebration of their careers.”

As a result of this, Feb. 9 was picked as the best day to have National Marquette Day. Josetti said it has been on a Sunday in the past.

Josetti said they did consider having it on Jan. 4 against Villanova, but said “we wanted the students to be back on campus to be a part of it.”

Josetti also said the actual date of National Marquette Day is decided by “constituents from various campus departments, including athletics.” These departments collaborate to determine the best date that will allow fans across the country to gather and celebrate their love for Marquette while watching a men’s basketball game.

Despite the fact that there has been a negative response to the Sunday National Marquette Day, Josetti said it has not necessarily affected ticket sales for the basketball game.

“Ticket sales have been very strong for the game, and we only have around 300 tickets left, so it’s on pace to be sold out,” Josetti said.

She also confirmed that the date will not be changed, and National Marquette Day will take place Feb. 9.

Mitz added that National Marquette Day is a conference game, one that falls when students are on campus and not during winter break. Mitz said the tradition will kick off in Milwaukee on Sunday, Feb. 9 with a pep rally and brunch at Mecca Bar and Grill, located at 1134 N. Vel R. Phillips Ave., at 9 a.m. Those interested can register online through Marquette’s website.

“Special guests will include university president, Dr. Michael R. Lovell, former Marquette men’s basketball standout and Milwaukee Bucks broadcaster Steve Novak, and vice president and director of athletics Bill Scholl,” Mitz said.

“I didn’t think (National Marquette Day) being on a Sunday was a huge deal. I think a lot of the students treat it more as a National Marquette weekend rather than just one day,” Nathan Marzion, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences said. “Everyone is still going to celebrate on Saturday night even though it’s on Sunday.”

Marzion said he’s a big fan of Marquette basketball and he always shows up early to the games and continues to celebrate afterwards.

“There was definitely a negative reaction right away to it being on a Sunday, and I think a big reason for that was people being so used to it being on a Saturday,” Marzion said.

However, Marzion believes National Marquette Day festivities will remain the same despite it taking place on Sunday this year.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: Article on National Marquette Day move to Sunday
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »
When you don't own your own stadium and are at the mercy of the Bucks, you can't always have your way.  I think the reasons stated above are well thought out and you can tell the program looked at all options.  Can't fault the reasoning for NMD falling on a Sunday and I agree with it seeing how the schedule has played out.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »
WELL WELL WELL, HERE WE ARE AGAIN.

TRAVESTY
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:33:57 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 08:34:44 AM »
When you don't own your own stadium and are at the mercy of the Bucks, you can't always have your way.  I think the reasons stated above are well thought out and you can tell the program looked at all options.  Can't fault the reasoning for NMD falling on a Sunday and I agree with it seeing how the schedule has played out.

The Bucks...  and Brantley Gilbert.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »
DePaul sucks! A Saturday 1PM Big East game with DU only gets you FS Wisconsin.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:59:50 AM »
Game will be sold out. Crowd will be into it. Bars across the country will feature NMD celebrations.

Excited for the game.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:07:31 AM »
Sucks big time for the out of towners, something Josetti and the student ( prolly from Beaver Dam) are clearly oblivious too
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »
Sucks big time for the out of towners, something Josetti and the student ( prolly from Beaver Dam) are clearly oblivious too

My guess is the number of our of towners who watch on TV are much higher than the number of our of towners who travel to the game. So in this way, I think they are prioritizing the out of towners.

Sounds like it’s still a sellout even with the crummy time.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »

I think Danielle is acutely aware of this, but all things considered, her job is to put lipstick on the pig. A Sunday AM pep rally at 9AM after a Saturday of drinking or the need to attend mass is doubtful to be successful. While the game will be a sell-out, the fact there are still tickets shows the dissatisfaction as this game was always sold out well in advance. It is what it is as was well explained. You can’t have NMD with a game only on FS Wisconsin. My group made the Nova game our NMD.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 09:35:11 AM »
The only thing I don’t get is a big part of this is the clubs around the country watching the game at bars, etc.  Any bar worth their salt has Directv and Sports Pack which means they would have any of those games, even the non “national” ones.  So I’m not sure why they didn’t go down that path.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
I am coming in from out of town.  Staying over Saturday night and going to the game on Sunday, then driving home.  Just because the game is on Sunday doesn't mean it precludes out of towners from coming in for Saturday/sunday.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »

It's an article from the student paper.

I am sorry to say that for many of these kids, this is one of the first times that they have discovered that the world does not revolve around them.

If you need proof, take a gander at the Marquette Parents Facebook page.  Many of these folks were complaining that the dorms didn't open until the day before classes started because it didn't give their kids enough time to "settle in".  One parent  was absolutely livid that both elevators in Schroeder were down for a time on Sunday including a "WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?" in his post.  How much crap did his kid bring back from home that this was a big deal?
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 09:57:11 AM »
The announcement came months ago. How is this article being written now?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 10:02:10 AM »
THAT'S IT!

I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

TO HELL WITH MARQUETTE ... I'M A DAYTON FAN NOW!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »
The only thing I don’t get is a big part of this is the clubs around the country watching the game at bars, etc.  Any bar worth their salt has Directv and Sports Pack which means they would have any of those games, even the non “national” ones.  So I’m not sure why they didn’t go down that path.

LOL, no kidding.  I mean for years MU (and Cheeks to be specific) had to program NMD when we were playing Charlotte on some Raycom affiliate.  It can be done.  It was done forever.  They'll get their 18,000 but I would guess the # people participating in NMD will be down this year. 

This should also underscore how the new relationship with the Bucks is less than advantageous for MU.  We've gone from being the #2 tenant (and at worst #3) to getting the last pick of dates after Monster Truck, concerts, cirque du soliel etc is booked.  Lovell loves to build stuff, and though smart people have told him to stop I wonder if he just might keep pushing for an on campus arena.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 10:41:38 AM »
Look at the super fan scoopers who bitch that some games aren’t televised in their area by their local provider. I get your point, but I also understand MU’s position. Throw a small wrench in someone’s plan and they shut down.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 10:45:42 AM »
LOL, no kidding.  I mean for years MU (and Cheeks to be specific) had to program NMD when we were playing Charlotte on some Raycom affiliate.  It can be done.  It was done forever.  They'll get their 18,000 but I would guess the # people participating in NMD will be down this year. 

This should also underscore how the new relationship with the Bucks is less than advantageous for MU.  We've gone from being the #2 tenant (and at worst #3) to getting the last pick of dates after Monster Truck, concerts, cirque du soliel etc is booked.  Lovell loves to build stuff, and though smart people have told him to stop I wonder if he just might keep pushing for an on campus arena.

Back in the day, everyday was NMD, hey.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
I am coming in from out of town.  Staying over Saturday night and going to the game on Sunday, then driving home.  Just because the game is on Sunday doesn't mean it precludes out of towners from coming in for Saturday/sunday.

If you party it does
Bring back FFP!!!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 11:00:58 AM »
If you party it does

More like National Hangover Day, AMIRITE?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 11:02:39 AM »
My guess is the number of our of towners who watch on TV are much higher than the number of our of towners who travel to the game. So in this way, I think they are prioritizing the out of towners.

Sounds like it’s still a sellout even with the crummy time.

Wth?  In todays day and age people can watch every game

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 11:03:55 AM »

So ur saying most out of towners drive home after games?  Pretty myopic

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 11:06:56 AM »

Dead wrong on this!  If u look at the dates and times and number if saturday and sunday games over the last two years you could only come to the conclusion that mu is in a better place scheduling wise in regards to the fiserv relative to the bradley

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »
So ur saying most out of towners drive home after games?  Pretty myopic

If only there were a place within a reasonable drive where one could catch a flight.

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that proves Rob Dauster's assessment of Marquette fans correct.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 12:16:16 PM »

It's an article from the student paper.

I am sorry to say that for many of these kids, this is one of the first times that they have discovered that the world does not revolve around them.

If you need proof, take a gander at the Marquette Parents Facebook page.  Many of these folks were complaining that the dorms didn't open until the day before classes started because it didn't give their kids enough time to "settle in".  One parent  was absolutely livid that both elevators in Schroeder were down for a time on Sunday including a "WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?" in his post.  How much crap did his kid bring back from home that this was a big deal?

Might want to consider putting Glow Sr.'s laptop into timeout for a while.

In all seriousness, I don't like the decision to hold NMD on a Sunday, but given the circumstances, MU made the best decision it could.  It would be a great exercise in civility and discretion to at least acknowledge this.

That said, I can personally guarantee that every NMD at the Thunderdome (tentative opening c.2039) will be on a Saturday and will be available live via all direct-to-cerebrum streaming services including AppleBrain, GoogleOcular and LemonisVision.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.