Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jayce's rebounding  (Read 3487 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Jayce's rebounding
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:39 AM »
For anyone who wondered before the season whether Jayce Johnson's impressive rebounding stats at Utah would transfer to the Big East, I think you have your answer (stats per KenPom):

OR%: 18.9%
DR%: 23.6%

Granted, he's only played 27.3% of the available minutes so far -- due to a slow start and a knee sprain earlier in the season. This keeps Jayce off KenPom's leaderboard (which requires a minimum 40% of minutes played), at least for now.

That should change. Over the past four games, he's averaged 51.3% of the available minutes.

If Jayce qualified today, his 18.9 OR% (a career high) would rank 3rd nationally -- behind only West Virginia's Oscar Tshiebwe (20.0) and Quinnipiac's Kevin Marfo (19.7). The next best offensive rebounder from the Big East is Xavier's Tyrique Jones at 16.9%. It's also the highest OR% for any MU player since KenPom began posting stats during the 2001-02 season.

Jayce's 23.6 DR% would rank among the Top 100 nationally. That's good for fifth in the Big East behind DePaul's Paul Reed (26.3), Villanova's Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (24.9), Xavier's Tyrique Jones (24.7) and Georgetown's Omer Yurtseven (24.2). It's the second-highest DR% for any MU player since 2001-02, behind only Henry Ellenson's 2015-16 freshman campaign (24.1%).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:48:27 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Jayce's rebounding
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »
He has been a nice surprise.  Lunch pail type of player as they used to say.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »

With Ed gone JJ will have more minutes to continue to improve. I think he is going to be a positive factor for us going forward.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »
His former teammates said he would be a double-double guy if he could stay on the floor and hit free throws.    As his knee has improved, I think we can all see why.    He has no regard for life or limb on the boards and has a decent touch around the basket.   He knows who and what he is and understands his role.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:01:46 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 10:57:57 AM »
He has been a nice surprise.  Lunch pail type of player as they used to say.

Since he has been healthy, he has been about what I expected after having read about him before the season. Very glad he is a Warrior. Another solid get by Wojo and his assistants.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 11:00:10 AM »
I was ridiculed on here when I said Jayce was an absolute beast on the glass in the practices that I saw before he got hurt.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 11:10:39 AM »
I think many fans underrate the value of offensive rebounds. To me, they're nearly as important as turnovers. Where losing the ball ends a possession and the potential to produce any points, an offensive rebound extends a possession.

You'd rather make more shots in the first place, of course. But crashing the offensive glass helps make up for Marquette's below-average 45.7% shooting inside the arc. Winning the battle of the boards can also give your team a psychological edge as the game goes on.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 11:15:16 AM »
His former teammates said he would be a double-double guy if he could stay on the floor and hit free throws.    As his knee has improved, I think we can all see why.    He has no regard for life or limb on the boards and has a decent touch around the basket.   He knows who and what he is and understands his role.

Well said. Glad he's getting more minutes now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
I think many fans underrate the value of offensive rebounds. To me, they're nearly as important as turnovers. Where losing the ball ends a possession and the potential to produce any points, an offensive rebound extends a possession.

You'd rather make more shots in the first place, of course. But crashing the offensive glass helps make up for Marquette's below-average 45.7% shooting inside the arc. Winning the battle of the boards can also give your team a psychological edge as the game goes on.

An added bonus for a team that shoots 3s well is that offensive rebounds often lead to passes that set up wide-open 3s.

Two huge factors to us beating Georgetown were us winning the rebounding battle -- including 13 OR that set up 17 big second-chance points -- and us turning it over only 6 times. So we not only avoided the kind of giveaways that have killed us at times, but we also got a lot of the possession-extenders you talk about.

Great post, M92!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »
Hopefully, Jayce's toughness wears off on the rest of his teammates. If Marquette is going to challenge for a Big East title this season, we can't just be an elite three-point shooting team. We'll need to scrap for every single rebound and loose ball on both ends of the court.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
I was ridiculed on here when I said Jayce was an absolute beast on the glass in the practices that I saw before he got hurt.

Was it one member here that ridiculed you?  He has it out for Jayce.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
Hopefully, Jayce's toughness wears off on the rest of his teammates. If Marquette is going to challenge for a Big East title this season, we can't just be an elite three-point shooting team. We'll need to scrap for every single rebound and loose ball on both ends of the court.

There are no little things.  The little things are all big things.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 12:11:21 PM »
The way Johnson has played of late was the type of player I was hearing about preseason. If Koby and Johnson play like they did on Saturday moving forward, this team will end up doing quite well. At this point, both are still big question marks, but at least reason for optimism.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »
There are no little things. The little things are all big things.

Love this. Here's Wojo's full quote from the Xavier game:

"In Big East play, there are no little things. You hear coaches use the cliche a lot: 'Little things win.' Well, in our league, because of how balanced it is and how competitive it is, there are no little things. Everything is a big thing. So getting second-chance points, second-chance opportunities, those are big things. And Theo and Jayce just did a wonderful job of setting the tone for us in that respect against an outstanding rebounding team."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 02:22:37 PM »
Johnson has been great, but I still struggle to see a role for him against teams like Creighton or Villanova that want to spread bigs out to the arc. If I'm Wojo, I would think about trying to get Cain and Bailey some practice time at the 5 before we see those teams again. Even if just for stretches, the ability to match them stretching us out to the arc would be useful. Particularly when JRE is sitting for 'Nova.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
Big fan of the Chef.  Not a great athlete, but positions his body well and gives strong effort.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »
Big fan of the Chef.  Not a great athlete, but positions his body well and gives strong effort.

A smart athlete works and hones the tools he has.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »
Who calls him the Chef?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »
Who calls him the Chef?

Hes been using it like crazy the last couple days trying to get it to stick it appears.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »
Johnson has been great, but I still struggle to see a role for him against teams like Creighton or Villanova that want to spread bigs out to the arc. If I'm Wojo, I would think about trying to get Cain and Bailey some practice time at the 5 before we see those teams again. Even if just for stretches, the ability to match them stretching us out to the arc would be useful. Particularly when JRE is sitting for 'Nova.

Yeah those teams are just going to be match-up problems for him and unfortunately for him we don't game plan for Jayce to take advantage of the mis-match going the other way. It'll be interesting to see Jayce's minutes against St Johns. You want him in their for rebounds and post play but I'm not sure that he can keep up with the pace of play.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 05:09:38 PM »
Who calls him the Chef?
It was mentioned in one or two broadcasts that Jayce likes to cook.   Chico's gotta Chico's.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 05:59:31 PM »
Was it one member here that ridiculed you?  He has it out for Jayce.

Does the Pope crap in da woods? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »
Who calls him the Chef?

The man likes to cook.  I posted a link here to his interview a week or so ago while a bunch of folks were railing on the young man. 

I call him the Chef.