'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Updated projections  (Read 11859 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Updated projections
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 02:24:59 PM »
Goal is National Championship

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »
2nd best conference in the country, sure...but then tell me why a program like MU with the resources they invest can't reasonably be the best(or top 3 for sure) in the conference year after year?? Answer...they should be in comparison to other schools in the conference.

I don't get it either. Milwaukee is a location destination, and MU is the most recognizable name in college sports. Marquettes dedication to running a clean program also serves as a beacon to elite players. The program is basically the same as Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, Arizona, and Oregon. Not to mention its similarities to this years Memphis program.

It must be the coach.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 02:47:29 PM »
Here I thought we were in the top 3 last year.  This year isn't over yet...right?

They finished second sure, but when you consider that they had a MONUMENTAL unprecedented collapse to not win the title, that isn't very good. I think if I remember right with the lead they had with 4-5 games to go, that 538 projected it at like 98% to win the BE. Just unbelievable collapse.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 02:49:53 PM »
I don't get it either. Milwaukee is a location destination, and MU is the most recognizable name in college sports. Marquettes dedication to running a clean program also serves as a beacon to elite players. The program is basically the same as Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, Arizona, and Oregon. Not to mention its similarities to this years Memphis program.

It must be the coach.

Outside of your sarcastic BS, why can't they be the best or at minimum top 2-3 in the conference every year?? You comparing it to Arizona etc is NOT relevant in regards to the Big East. Compare it to other schools in the Big East and there is NO reason they can't be one of the best year in year out in conference.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 03:23:23 PM »
They finished second sure, but when you consider that they had a MONUMENTAL unprecedented collapse to not win the title, that isn't very good. I think if I remember right with the lead they had with 4-5 games to go, that 538 projected it at like 98% to win the BE. Just unbelievable collapse.

Goalposts moved.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
Outside of your sarcastic BS, why can't they be the best or at minimum top 2-3 in the conference every year?? You comparing it to Arizona etc is NOT relevant in regards to the Big East. Compare it to other schools in the Big East and there is NO reason they can't be one of the best year in year out in conference.

Hidden within my "sarcastic BS" we're the reasons why Marquette may struggle meeting your expectations.

That's not to say the team won't have its moments...... like last years 2nd place finish in the BEast.

The consistency you seem to be demanding is just a bit unrealistic.

Oddly, I believe keeping Wojo makes meeting your expectations more likely than if he were replaced as you seem to advocate.

Have you ever cut off your own nose ?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »

Oddly, I believe keeping Wojo makes meeting your expectations more likely than if he were replaced as you seem to advocate.

The fan base would definitely be more in line with this thought with a good finish to this year.   That plus our recruiting class would definitely give him more slack.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 04:30:11 PM »
Hidden within my "sarcastic BS" we're the reasons why Marquette may struggle meeting your expectations.

That's not to say the team won't have its moments...... like last years 2nd place finish in the BEast.

The consistency you seem to be demanding is just a bit unrealistic.

Have you ever cut off your own nose ?

I don't think it's unrealistic at all..Isn't that what Nova is doing?? MU SHOULD have a higher pedigree and be more nationally relevant consistently than any other team in the BE besides Nova. That's not unrelaistic at all when you consider the resources they put into it.

Secondly...I have said this a MILLION times already, but just because you fire a Coach does NOT necessarily mean losing a recruiting class. It all depends on who you bring in.

That being said, that class is also the reason why he has a bit more slack with me not a lot, but a bit more. I'm not going to argue that he isn't trending up, but damn has it been at a snail's pace. That's my biggest issue..NO reason the program couldn't/shouldn't be further ahead than they are now.

He really needs to do two things for me to be more on board:

1. Win something of substance ANY of these...BE title, BE tourney title, most of all NCAA games.
2. STOP losing games at home to mediocre teams. It's happened way too often during his tenure, and that loss to PC this year still sticks in my craw.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 04:51:14 PM »
The fan base would definitely be more in line with this thought with a good finish to this year.   That plus our recruiting class would definitely give him more slack.

I have to admit I had serious concerns after the Hausers left, but with the team still being competitive in a tough conference, along with the recruiting class for next year, my worries about Wojo as a coach and a recruiter have greatly diminished. If Marquette makes the tournament after losing Sam, Joey, and Ed, and the injuries to Greg, Jayce, Theo, and Koby, I hope he gets a little appreciation from those who boo him at home games.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »

All you had to do was stop after the first four words.  We finished in the top 3.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2020, 05:14:52 PM »
I don't think it's unrealistic at all..Isn't that what Nova is doing?? MU SHOULD have a higher pedigree and be more nationally relevant consistently than any other team in the BE besides Nova. That's not unrelaistic at all when you consider the resources they put into it.

Secondly...I have said this a MILLION times already, but just because you fire a Coach does NOT necessarily mean losing a recruiting class. It all depends on who you bring in.

That being said, that class is also the reason why he has a bit more slack with me not a lot, but a bit more. I'm not going to argue that he isn't trending up, but damn has it been at a snail's pace. That's my biggest issue..NO reason the program couldn't/shouldn't be further ahead than they are now.

He really needs to do two things for me to be more on board:

1. Win something of substance ANY of these...BE title, BE tourney title, most of all NCAA games.
2. STOP losing games at home to mediocre teams. It's happened way too often during his tenure, and that loss to PC this year still sticks in my craw.

Villanova stuck with their coach, they have stability.  Better program overall, better recruiting backyard, more tradition than MU historically.  Three national titles, have won conference titles in the ‘70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, 10’s....they have had relevance most decades...we have not.  Sure, they have had down times which last far shorter than our downturns.

STABILITY MATTERS.  CONSISTENCY MATTERS. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 05:16:23 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2020, 05:20:03 PM »
I have to admit I had serious concerns after the Hausers left, but with the team still being competitive in a tough conference, along with the recruiting class for next year, my worries about Wojo as a coach and a recruiter have greatly diminished. If Marquette makes the tournament after losing Sam, Joey, and Ed, and the injuries to Greg, Jayce, Theo, and Koby, I hope he gets a little appreciation from those who boo him at home games.

The booing is uncalled for and serves zero purpose.  That is indisputable.  If he goes to the NCAA this year that’s 3/6 years with an NIT and a great recruiting class coming in.  Not too shabby for a guy learning on the job and potentially his best years ahead of him. His leash will definitely be longer.

If he doesn’t make it to the tournament this year his leash will be much shorter than it is now fan-wise.  Any weakness in coaching in the next couple years will then start to be viewed harshly by management as well.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2020, 05:31:31 PM »
2nd best conference in the country, sure...but then tell me why a program like MU with the resources they invest can't reasonably be the best(or top 3 for sure) in the conference year after year?? Answer...they should be in comparison to other schools in the conference.

I believe I can say with certainty that the coaching staff, athletic staff and administration want and believe we can be a consistent Top 3 finisher in the Big East year after year. 

But do you think the same thoughts exist at Villanova? Butler? Xavier? Seton Hall? Providence? Creighton?

To be a Top 3 finisher in any power league means you are a blue blood.  And that is really hard to do.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
The booing is uncalled for and serves zero purpose.  That is indisputable.  If he goes to the NCAA this year that’s 3/6 years with an NIT and a great recruiting class coming in.  Not too shabby for a guy learning on the job and potentially his best years ahead of him. His leash will definitely be longer.

If he doesn’t make it to the tournament this year his leash will be much shorter than it is now fan-wise.  Any weakness in coaching in the next couple years will then start to be viewed harshly by management as well.

The first year (I’d argue 2) were rebuilding years.  It would be like people expecting Buzz to go to the NCAAs in years 1 or 2 at Va Tech or this year at A&M.  Unless you walk into an amazing situation (Buzz 2008, it is an uphill climb).

The booing is ridiculous, but there were some yahoos that booed Kareem back in the day.  It’s unfortunate.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
The first year (I’d argue 2) were rebuilding years.  It would be like people expecting Buzz to go to the NCAAs in years 1 or 2 at Va Tech or this year at A&M.  Unless you walk into an amazing situation (Buzz 2008, it is an uphill climb).

Finally realized your whole M.O. is to just troll.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2020, 07:39:28 PM »
why can't they be the best or at minimum top 2-3 in the conference every year??
Why can’t Marquette be the best team in the Big East every year?

I have no answer for this question.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2020, 07:40:32 PM »

Nope.  And I don’t know how you would get that from that response, but whatever.  My M.O. is loving MU hoops and sprinkling reality into it as a fan and someone with 25+ years in this crazy business called sports...I realize fandom doesn’t coexist with reality, often.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »
Why can’t Marquette be the best team in the Big East every year?

I have no answer for this question.

Lack of stability over the long haul...number one reason.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »

Let’s be honest - your expectations for Wojo’s first year with what was left here have always been ludicrous. Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2020, 08:19:08 PM »
I believe I can say with certainty that the coaching staff, athletic staff and administration want and believe we can be a consistent Top 3 finisher in the Big East year after year. 

But do you think the same thoughts exist at Villanova? Butler? Xavier? Seton Hall? Providence? Creighton?

To be a Top 3 finisher in any power league means you are a blue blood.  And that is really hard to do.

We could finish in the top 3 the next ten years and we still will not be a blue blood.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
If we win Tuesday, and Providence loses on Wednesday against Seton Hall, we are in 3rd place. We still have a chance to have a great year.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2020, 08:23:26 PM »
We could finish in the top 3 the next ten years and we still will not be a blue blood.

Ya, I wrote that incorrectly in my post.  Should have read that if a team finishes in the Top 3 in a Power Conference EVERY YEAR, they are a blue blood.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2020, 08:26:31 PM »

538 does CBB regular season predictions now?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »
Nope.  And I don’t know how you would get that from that response, but whatever.  My M.O. is loving MU hoops and sprinkling reality into it as a fan and someone with 25+ years in this crazy business called sports...I realize fandom doesn’t coexist with reality, often.

And yet you crap all over the guy who Tom Crean brought here that gave us our best run since Al...and pretzel logic trajectory graphs to prop up his replacement. Gotcha.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »
Villanova stuck with their coach, they have stability.  Better program overall, better recruiting backyard, more tradition than MU historically.  Three national titles, have won conference titles in the ‘70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, 10’s....they have had relevance most decades...we have not.  Sure, they have had down times which last far shorter than our downturns.

STABILITY MATTERS.  CONSISTENCY MATTERS.

Sure, but MU has stuck with Wojo too...haven't they?? He has been there 6 years now...6 F'n years! You still have never ever expalined) to me without using some BS excuse for this or that, how Crean and Buzz both had conference titles(Buzz's in the best conference ever assembled-can't use that as a reason), after 5 years at MU as well as deep tournament success, and Wojo hasn't. You always talk about apples to apples...5 years is 5 years..Buzz was in a BETTER Big East...can't use the "look what he started with)"because what he started with was long gone by then(or a vast majority of it), just as what Wojo started with is long gone. It's totally his guys now..it has been for a few years, yet he hasn't come close to matching what TC or Buzz did after 5 years...yet you act like he has been so accomplished. They have stuck with Wojo(and Wojo has decided to stay) just as long as Buzz and TC did. Everything is even so to speak..so you can't use the stability line either...what's the REASON?? Not an EXCUSE, the reason he hasn't accomplished as much?? I know the answer...it's glaringly obvious, though you will give some BS answer instead of admitting the truth.