[Today at 05:47:23 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by bilsu
[Today at 03:32:11 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[June 05, 2024, 02:41:31 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[June 05, 2024, 08:19:01 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theo John should come off the bench  (Read 3007 times)

RIP Marquette Gyros

• Walk-On
Theo John should come off the bench
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:21:38 PM »
Been a huge fan of Theo John since he entered the program. However, there's been an interesting trend with him in all of our losses this year.

In our 5 losses: 12.8 mins, 1.8 rebounds, and .4 blocks
In our 11 wins: 21.5 mins, 6.1 rebounds, 2.5 blocks

Yes, the stats may be a bit skewed in our wins due to lesser competition but I think the point still remains. When Theo John can stay on the court, we win. I think he's our most important player besides Markus, but his biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. He is a very high energy player to a fault leading to unnecessary fouls causing him to miss playing time.

The solution? I think Wojo should bring Theo off the bench. In our last two losses, Theo commits a foul in the first minute of each second half. I think Theo is just one of those players who gets way too hyped as a starter. Bringing him off the bench would allow him to settle into the game from a distance, with the hope that he can actually play more minutes later on in the game.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Theo John should come off the bench
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 09:45:07 PM »
Been a huge fan of Theo John since he entered the program. However, there's been an interesting trend with him in all of our losses this year.

Yes, the stats may be a bit skewed in our wins due to lesser competition but I think the point still remains. When Theo John can stay on the court, we win. I think he's our most important player besides Markus, but his biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. He is a very high energy player to a fault leading to unnecessary fouls causing him to miss playing time.

The solution? I think Wojo should bring Theo off the bench. In our last two losses, Theo commits a foul in the first minute of each second half. I think Theo is just one of those players who gets way too hyped as a starter. Bringing him off the bench would allow him to settle into the game from a distance, with the hope that he can actually play more minutes later on in the game.

Well, his wrist is hurt and he gets some of the most BS calls I've ever seen, so yeah, his numbers and minutes are down. If he could just get a little respect from the officials I think he could overcome the wrist issue and still be an effective starter. Mainly for defense and rebounding because his offense never was spectacular and the wrist isn't helping matters. Not to mention that Jayce is injured and doesn't provide much offense, just like Theo, and Ed is undersized at the 5 and has his own offensive issues so.........Yeah I still like starting Theo.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 11:33:28 PM »
Actually.  Based on *only those* numbers, I'd say as long as he's grabbing 1+ rebound every 3:30 leave him in.  Otherwise, yank him and he doesn't get to play the rest of the game.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »
Bring him off the bench and start who?  The big who’s having the best game plays the most so starting doesn’t really matter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 07:29:34 AM »
That doesn't matter.... Either way he's missing the minutes. It doesn't matter if he picks up his first foul at 18 minutes or comes off the bench and picks it up at 15. With the 2nd option you're just preemptively limiting his minutes.

Now if you were to say that he should come off the bench because jayce is better, then yes.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 08:02:07 AM »
Theo looks like he doesn't know what basketball is when he is out there

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »
I am a big Theo fan and believe he is our best inside player...but I think maybe OP has a point. Maybe start Jayce and bring Theo off the bench. Still give him his minutes and see how he responds. And really - what's the worst that can happen? Is our inside game gonna get worse? Kinda doubt it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it...but our inside game seems awfully broke lately.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
All of our posts have physical issues.   Mix and match and more minutes to whoever is playing well and staying out of foul trouble.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 09:11:18 AM »

Good point however keep in mind that Theo is not a very good free throw shooter so he can be a liability at the end of close games.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 11:15:49 AM »
the real question is will Theo make it 3 straight games fouling out with 0 points in exactly 14 minutes?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 11:22:53 AM »
Theo John should give up body building and practice shooting more.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »
Theo John should give up body building and practice shooting more.

It bears repeating, he's playing with a torn ligament in his right hand that needs surgery after the season. His body is just fine.  ::)

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
Another thumb?

RIP Marquette Gyros

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »
That doesn't matter.... Either way he's missing the minutes. It doesn't matter if he picks up his first foul at 18 minutes or comes off the bench and picks it up at 15. With the 2nd option you're just preemptively limiting his minutes.

Now if you were to say that he should come off the bench because jayce is better, then yes.

I guess my thought process is if he were to come off the bench, maybe he wouldn't be so hyperactive and avoid fouls and actually play more minutes. 

Talent-wise I think he's a starter, but there are just some players who play better off the bench. Would be interesting to see what would happen.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 05:33:50 PM »
I guess my thought process is if he were to come off the bench, maybe he wouldn't be so hyperactive and avoid fouls and actually play more minutes. 

Talent-wise I think he's a starter, but there are just some players who play better off the bench. Would be interesting to see what would happen.

Marquette got off to a strong start against SH when Theo was starting. For the sake of continuity and to not undermine Theo's confidence I believe keeping the starting line up intact makes more sense.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:10:53 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »
It bears repeating, he's playing with a torn ligament in his right hand that needs surgery after the season. His body is just fine.  ::)

This is three years in a row with guys playing pretty hurt for a good portion of the year. Is this normal? I don't like that trend.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 09:15:39 PM »
There is no reason to start anybody at 5 except Theo.

Wojo does a good job apportioning minutes for that position.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback