[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: You're the coach  (Read 10628 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: You're the coach
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2020, 01:56:20 AM »
In that December stretch, Sacar did look consistent. However, 4 of his 5 100+ ORtg games in December were buy games. Against high major teams, he's hit 100+ only 2 of 10 times.

Bailey has cracked 100+ ORtg 5/10 times, and those all came in the last 8 games.

The Villanova game was classic Sacar. He wasn't overly aggressive on offense to start the game, deferring to Markus and others. It was fine because Markus and Koby were hitting everything. In the second half he continued to defer to others until Villanova started getting close. Suddenly he gets aggressive offensively and scored on several straight possessions. The strategy, if there was one, worked to perfection.

The problem is that he can't do it consistently.

I think he and the team would be better served if he was more aggressive offensively. Earlier and more often. Especially attacking the rim. He has the ability to go on scoring runs but he can't just turn it on whenever he wants. Few players are that good.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:02:20 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2020, 03:26:06 AM »
Make the changes, based on what you have seen out of the team so far this year.    Possible options, IMO...

1. Start Jayce.    Theo's hand is impacting him on both ends of the floor and he is getting called for the most ridiculous non fouls imaginable.    Change the calculus by bringing him off the bench.   
2.  Start Greg over Koby.    Koby is living too much in his own head right now.    Bring him off the bench, remove the pressure from him.   
3.  Jamal for Sacar.    Just the opposite of Koby.    Piss Sacar off and let him come in angry and looking to attack.     He has been reluctant to finish through contact and is getting pushed around on the defensive boards.   Let him take his fury out on an opponent.   
4.   Burpees in practice for every time there is an open lane and the basket is not attacked.   
5.   I do not yet believe that Symir is the answer at the point.    His freshman-ness was exposed against SH.    Patience.   
6.  Start using Bailey as the screener.    He is so close to taking off and taking over.   
7.   Consider two bigs against physical teams.    I feel the Providence game was lost on the defensive boards, by a more physical team pushing MU around.    Push back.   Use Ed at the 4 instead of the 5.   Because Cooley was waiting for Ed to come in at the 5 and started feeding the post incessantly until Ed came out. 

I don't know what would work.    Maybe none.   But, if you were coaching the team, what say you?

I actually really like this topic as well as Tower's stab at it.  None (very few) of us are getting paid to coach basketball, but this is a message board, so who cares?
Having said that, here's my list:
1.  Have a consistent style of play that makes the other team react to MU rather than being reactive.  (examples, Dick Bennett, Tony Bennett, McDermott (5 out), Boeheim)
2.  Occasionally Speed it up.  Press with energy for steals.  Use a fast, long lineup with none of the 3 headed center.  Greg, Sacar, BB, Cain, Koby for example.
3.  Definitely use Bailey as the screener.  Or Cain.  3 plays in a roll.  Screen & pop Markus shoots, screen and pop markus passes for an open 3, screen and roll and Markus throws the 'oop.  Like Bledsoe / Antetokuonmpo.
4.  Be able to "change it up" on offense with 5-out or an aggressive run-n-gun with the quick guys creating a secondary break.
5.  Have goals for every game that make a sure win when they are achieved:  Make more free throws than the other guys take, get 5 steals per game, out-rebound the opposition every game, 25% minimum assisted baskets, get 3 open buckets in the lane every game.  Brent and TC used to talk about these goals.  Wojo never has. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2020, 05:25:44 AM »
He's relying on the remainder of this season to show that Wojo has a record good enough to silence the doubters. The conversation is purely about what hasn't happened, as noted by the rest of the post you quoted.
Even if I am right, it won't silence the doubters.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2020, 06:39:58 AM »
The Villanova game was classic Sacar. He wasn't overly aggressive on offense to start the game, deferring to Markus and others. It was fine because Markus and Koby were hitting everything. In the second half he continued to defer to others until Villanova started getting close. Suddenly he gets aggressive offensively and scored on several straight possessions. The strategy, if there was one, worked to perfection.

The problem is that he can't do it consistently.

I think he and the team would be better served if he was more aggressive offensively. Earlier and more often. Especially attacking the rim. He has the ability to go on scoring runs but he can't just turn it on whenever he wants. Few players are that good.

I think they should get Sacar going earlier. He got 3 straight possessions in the 2nd half against Nova and got 2 mid range makes and a 3rd he got fouled on. I think it’s where the Koby conundrum comes in. If he’s your primary ball handler, Sacar ISO goes down even more in the pecking order.

I go back to Brew’s post on pace. This team reminds me a lot of the 2010 team. They played Wisco slow that year. Won and lost a ton close games. Buzz’s best coaching year.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2020, 07:03:49 AM »
I see everything you said, and I raise you a top ten recruiting class.

That’s the hope.  If it doesn’t happen on the court this year that hope balloon pops. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2020, 07:16:13 AM »
I do believe MU will finish the year with 23-25 wins.   Counting postseason.

If you are correct, many posters who have been so obviously emboldened this week with their wojo bashing would look like idiots.  And saying they are glad they were wrong won’t suffice based on how clear their posts have been to the contrary.  Will make for interesting scoop time for sure.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2020, 08:02:04 AM »
Sacar has the best mid-range jumper on the team, it should be part of the gameplan more often.

Sacar is also drawing the toughest defensive assignments and he isn't initially part of the offensive game plan because of this.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2020, 09:09:34 AM »
Even if I am right, it won't silence the doubters.

If things shake out the way you're expecting, it will certainly help me turn the corner. I was almost there last year until February rolled around. If we end up in the 23-25 win range, that should earn Wojo some goodwill with the grumpy fans.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2020, 09:58:01 AM »
In that December stretch, Sacar did look consistent. However, 4 of his 5 100+ ORtg games in December were buy games. Against high major teams, he's hit 100+ only 2 of 10 times.

Bailey has cracked 100+ ORtg 5/10 times, and those all came in the last 8 games.

With Bailey's contributions in other areas in addition to just scoring, that does make some sense. I'm guessing he's had some big swings over that same 8 game stretch, though, right?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2020, 10:17:55 AM »
I didn't open this one for awhile because I worried it would be yet another hate-fest, but I just got done reading everything and it's been a fun read that has (mostly) stayed on topic. Thanks for starting it, tower, and for contributing, everybody.

I like the idea of going small sometimes with no 5s on the floor. Can't do it too often, but there are opportunities in many games.

And whether or not we do that, I have been wanting us to use Bailey in the Sam screen-and-pop role ever since he showed that his shot was much improved. Maybe even Sacar on occasion, which would free Bailey to hunt offensive rebounds. Having a center 25 feet away from the hoop doesn't help much, and their hands are so unreliable (and they are so prone to traveling) that pick-and-roll is usually not the best option.

I also like Markus on the ball more times than not. Also a little more Symir, especially if there is a less-talented guard he can be assigned to defend.

Our man defense is fine most games ... as long as we keep a center low, preferably Theo.

We also need some better cuddles, and maybe a little less ice in the cup!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »
5.  Have goals for every game that make a sure win when they are achieved:  Make more free throws than the other guys take, get 5 steals per game, out-rebound the opposition every game, 25% minimum assisted baskets, get 3 open buckets in the lane every game.  Brent and TC used to talk about these goals.  Wojo never has.

Funny you mention that.  Can't find it now, but there was a thread that had an (IG?) picture showing  white board with 5 goals, similar to yours, and tracking whether they were accomplished for each game.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »
I think Brendan could hold his own for stretches on the boards. In conference play he's had 11, 3, 8, 11 RBs so far, averaging 8.3 per game. Theo is at 4.5 per game, and Jayce is at 6.8 per game. He probably couldn't go long stretches in the role, but I think there's some opportunity here.

What is the relevance of per game stats?

So bizarre.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »
What is the relevance of per game stats?

So bizarre.

You'd prefer totals? You know that would give the exact same result, right?

I just used what was easily available for free online.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »
Marquette won last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that. 
Marquette also made the NCAA tournament two out of the last three years.

I know, I know, regular season records and tournament appearances don't matter.

By that logic, winning a game in the NCAA tournament doesn't matter either, because the only real winner in the NCAA tournament is the eventual champion. The rest are all LOSERS.

My main question is....... Why do people who want Wojo gone feel they need to misrepresent his record of success??
Maybe it's because they know if they cited Wojos actual record it would undermine their argument.

Newsflash.....People that support keeping Wojo have their memories and record books to debunk those exaggerated claims related to Wojos history of success.

The decision to resort to fabrications by those who want Wojo gone only reinforces my belief that their opinions should be discounted and that the opinions of those who support keeping him should be given additional weight.

This is that loser attitude I am talking about. You are accepting mediocrity. We've won regular season games, that's it. We havent taken any next steps, the program hasnt had success on a national scale under Wojo, the team is poorly coached, and extremely inconsistent.

We've made no progress in scaling our program. The decision to resort to fabrications about wojo and his success reinforces my opinion that you are a loser and accept being a stale program.

Record of success? What record of success are you talking about? We haven't won a tourney game under his leadership. We lost two of our top players because wojo couldnt keep the locker room together. These are not fabrications, these are facts.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
You'd prefer totals? You know that would give the exact same result, right?

I just used what was easily available for free online.

Think JayBee is referring to percentages as a better stat than per game numbers.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 05:38:09 PM »
This is that loser attitude I am talking about. You are accepting mediocrity. We've won regular season games, that's it. We havent taken any next steps, the program hasnt had success on a national scale under Wojo, the team is poorly coached, and extremely inconsistent.

We've made no progress in scaling our program. The decision to resort to fabrications about wojo and his success reinforces my opinion that you are a loser and accept being a stale program.

I thought winners didn't have anything to do with losers. What's the point of even engaging in conversation? You can't change someone who accepts mediocrity. It's obviously a waste of time. For that matter, why even associate yourself with Marquette basketball -- a "stale program" that "hasn't had success on a national scale" and has "made no progress" -- at all? Sounds like nothing but a bunch of losers.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »
Think JayBee is referring to percentages as a better stat than per game numbers.

That went right over my head! Looking at percentages does offer a different view. I'll have to look at the advanced stats more often.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »
That’s the hope.  If it doesn’t happen on the court this year that hope balloon pops.

Not really.......

I have high hopes for next season with or without Mane. With Mane the hopes are obviously much higher.

First things first though.......

I still have relatively high hopes for this season.

Even if we miss the tournament, Koby, Brendan, Jamal, Theo, Greg, and Symir will have gained  valuable experience for next year.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2020, 10:02:27 PM »
Well if I were the coach I  would make $2m. I would take half and hire a good assistant. Problem solved.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2020, 10:42:52 PM »
Not really.......

I have high hopes for next season with or without Mane. With Mane the hopes are obviously much higher.

First things first though.......

I still have relatively high hopes for this season.

Even if we miss the tournament, Koby, Brendan, Jamal, Theo, Greg, and Symir will have gained  valuable experience for next year.

I get the optimism for next years recruiting class and team.  That was part two of my reasoning for keeping Wojo after last year and it appears it is coming to fruition.  Maybe it’s like the class that allowed Willard to gain some traction 5 years ago with Delgado and the rest of that class.

Part one was success on the court this year (originally much higher aspirations with the Hausers on the team) because it would indicate to me that he is a good coach as well.  He has an All-American, a couple of young potential major contributors and several major conference “Glue Guys” to work with.   It would be nice to see he is capable of coaching them up to a tournament bid.  If that happens I personally will feel the trajectory is still upward.  If not, I will not be as confident.  Maybe the balloon popping is incorrect but air will definitely be leaking out.

I look forward to tomorrow and the rest of the season.  Go MU!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2020, 10:55:09 PM »

Record of success? What record of success are you talking about? We haven't won a tourney game under his leadership. We lost two of our top players because wojo couldnt keep the locker room together. These are not fabrications, these are facts.

Thanks Southside....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2020, 11:57:32 PM »
I get the optimism for next years recruiting class and team.  That was part two of my reasoning for keeping Wojo after last year and it appears it is coming to fruition.  Maybe it’s like the class that allowed Willard to gain some traction 5 years ago with Delgado and the rest of that class.

Part one was success on the court this year (originally much higher aspirations with the Hausers on the team) because it would indicate to me that he is a good coach as well.  He has an All-American, a couple of young potential major contributors and several major conference “Glue Guys” to work with.   It would be nice to see he is capable of coaching them up to a tournament bid.  If that happens I personally will feel the trajectory is still upward.  If not, I will not be as confident.  Maybe the balloon popping is incorrect but air will definitely be leaking out.

I look forward to tomorrow and the rest of the season.  Go MU!

Fair enough.

I actually thought Wojo whiffing on Chartouny last year combined with Gregs thumb injury and Sams hip were the biggest factors in last years collapse. Not coaching.

Things were fine until Markus started wearing down from too much usage and Sams hip became a noticeable issue.

Chartouny was simply too overwhelmed by Big East competition, and Greg was out, so Markus was put in an untenable position.

Brendan was a year away from providing Significant production so Sam was in a similar position as Markus.

Sam and Markus shouldered so much of the weight throughout the year, that by the end of the season they were exhausted. Physically, mentally and emotionally. It didn't help that Joey was hitting the freshman wall at the same time. If you combine pain and fatigue, with losing and frustration, it makes for an explosive combination. I'm not surprised "Hausershima" happened.

Wojo deserves blame, but not for bad coaching. He deserves blame for not having better depth at the guard position. Although he IS at a disadvantage, with other schools paying kids or family members so.......
That's why I'm still nervous about getting Mane, despite the positive reports.
How many guards has Marquette been "in on" only to be jilted in the end.

This year so far, is about injuries and missing the Hausers, not coaching IMHO.

Next year is all about the recruits and depth at the guard position. With Koby, Symir, Dexter, and Karim, Marquette will have that depth. Theo and Brendan will be fine and Jamal might even flourish in a less Markus-centric offense. Greg will probably be injured again. That guy is snake bit.

Oh yeah......I almost forgot the most important thing.......

Wojo will still be the coach. GO MU!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:16:47 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2020, 05:54:36 AM »
The roster next year, if we get Mane especially, is definitely more well rounded.  It also sounds like it will be more athletic than we have had in the past and taller.   There is the possibility it’s the roster Wojo has been striving for years to get.   We will see.

Let’s get this win tonight.  I still want this years team to be good.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2020, 12:36:08 PM »
Thanks Southside....

You're welcome Cheeky :)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »
The roster next year, if we get Mane especially, is definitely more well rounded.  It also sounds like it will be more athletic than we have had in the past and taller.   There is the possibility it’s the roster Wojo has been striving for years to get.   We will see.

Let’s get this win tonight.  I still want this years team to be good.
Still need backup for Theo next season.  Dawson and Oso are rather slim for the 5 at this point.

feedback