[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: You're the coach  (Read 10730 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: You're the coach
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »
I see no center as a recipe to get massacred on the boards in conference.   If the H's had stayed, I would have advocated for stretches of two Hausers and a Bailey up front.   Alas, that letter was sent.   
I don't see a lineup with Bailey or Cain as the de facto big as being able to keep up on the boards.

I think Brendan could hold his own for stretches on the boards. In conference play he's had 11, 3, 8, 11 RBs so far, averaging 8.3 per game. Theo is at 4.5 per game, and Jayce is at 6.8 per game. He probably couldn't go long stretches in the role, but I think there's some opportunity here.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
I have no data, but are most of our PnR’s with Markus using the center? That’s pick and pop play with Sam was lethal. Do we run that with Bailey or Sacar? When it’s just a big, they can double Markus since our bigs really aren’t much of a threat on the roll.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »
I think Brendan could hold his own for stretches on the boards. In conference play he's had 11, 3, 8, 11 RBs so far, averaging 8.3 per game. Theo is at 4.5 per game, and Jayce is at 6.8 per game. He probably couldn't go long stretches in the role, but I think there's some opportunity here.

As a 4 with another big in the game.   And, BTW, his rebounding is a huge improvement.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 03:57:00 PM »
So, Bo could go zone and up tempo, Bennett could press, and Boeheim would go man if the players dictated it?

Is it possible?  Sure. 

Do they have to?  No.  In the cases you reference, each of these coaches recruits players that specifically fit a system and do it well.  Wojo does not seem to have done this kind of targeted recruiting.  We have players who have been near-hopeless in man-to-man defense.  Others who do not seem to understand defensive rotation required in a zone. It's a mix and match and that is part of the problem.

And you left Bobby Knight going zone off the list.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:00:48 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
3) Feed Bailey. He's the closest thing to a second option I trust. Yes, he was bad at SHU, but he's the best mismatch option and has been more consistent than Koby or Sacar.

Based on a quick review of Sacar and Brendan's game by game offensive stats, Sacar looks more consistent to me. A lot more consistent. Brendan has had a couple of very good games but has also had some very bad games. He's really been all over the place. The four game conference stretch has been a good example of this.

Sacar in the month of December was a very consistent second scoring option. He scored in double figures in all 6 games and shot over 50% from the field and from 3. This is what I think he's capable of doing on a regular basis. Looking across the full season, he's been in double digits in 10 games and only had one game scoring fewer than 6 points. Brendan, on the other hand, has scored in double digits only 4 times and has scored fewer than 6 in 8 games.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 04:23:12 PM »
If I am Wojo I fire myself and concede to the fact that I am a terrible coach. Deep down as Wojo I know I can recruit players, but unfortunately, I cant coach them.

Our team is mediocre, has been for years. Allowing this below average coach carry on is a disservice to the program. Anyone who still thinks Wojo is the guy has accepted losing, and therefore is a loser. All the fuc*in excuses about this and that are worthless. The guy cant win and we havent won, period.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »
Is it possible?  Sure. 

Do they have to?  No.  In the cases you reference, each of these coaches recruits players that specifically fit a system and do it well.  Wojo does not seem to have done this kind of targeted recruiting.  We have players who have been hopeless and man-to-man defense.  Others who do not seem to understand defensive rotation required in a zone. It's a mix and match and that is part of the problem.

And you left Bobby Knight going zone off the list.

I think if Wojo believed the team was at the level where they could seamlessly transition back and forth from MTM to zone with no drop off in proficiency in either defense he might do it. They're Obviously not.

Wojo seems to be trying to get the players to do one thing and do it right. Kinda like Bo. The MTM might get better over the course of the season if Marquette commits to it. There have been moments where it clicked already this season.
Sticking to one defense also helps the team by keeping them focused and not dividing their attention between two competing defensive schemes.

MTM seems to be the hill Wojo is willing to die for.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »

2) Keep the bigs home. We've been killed on back door cuts and teams just driving by our guys into an empty lane. Keep the bigs in the lane so the defenders can funnel drivers into them. Sam excelled at this despite not having the foot speed. If these guys can't stay in front of their guy, keep the help big in the middle.

I believe this is something we Must try. Absolutely getting killed here.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 04:34:31 PM »
I believe this is something we Must try. Absolutely getting killed here.

And it is a redux of two years ago.  It was maddening then...

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
If I am Wojo I fire myself and concede to the fact that I am a terrible coach. Deep down as Wojo I know I can recruit players, but unfortunately, I cant coach them.

Our team is mediocre, has been for years. Allowing this below average coach carry on is a disservice to the program. Anyone who still thinks Wojo is the guy has accepted losing, and therefore is a loser. All the fuc*in excuses about this and that are worthless. The guy cant win and we havent won, period.

Marquette won last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that. 
Marquette also made the NCAA tournament two out of the last three years.

I know, I know, regular season records and tournament appearances don't matter.

By that logic, winning a game in the NCAA tournament doesn't matter either, because the only real winner in the NCAA tournament is the eventual champion. The rest are all LOSERS.

My main question is....... Why do people who want Wojo gone feel they need to misrepresent his record of success??
Maybe it's because they know if they cited Wojos actual record it would undermine their argument.

Newsflash.....People that support keeping Wojo have their memories and record books to debunk those exaggerated claims related to Wojos history of success.

The decision to resort to fabrications by those who want Wojo gone only reinforces my belief that their opinions should be discounted and that the opinions of those who support keeping him should be given additional weight.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:30:21 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 05:27:21 PM »
Marquette won last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that. 
Marquette also made the NCAA tournament two out of the last three years.

I know, I know, regular season records and tournament appearances don't matter.

By that logic Winning a game in the NCAA tournament doesn't matter, because the only real winner in the NCAA tournament is the eventual champion. The rest are all LOSERS.

My main question is....... Why do people who want Wojo gone feel they need to or have the right to misrepresent his record of success??
Maybe it's because they know if they cited Wojos actual record it would undermine their argument.

Newsflash.....People that support keeping Wojo have their memories and record books to debunk those exaggerated claims related to Wojos history of success.

The decision to resort to fabrications by those who want Wojo gone only reinforces my belief that their opinions should be discounted and that the opinions of those who support keeping him should be given additional weight.
If MU finishes the way I think they will, Wojo will have won around 70 games in 3 years and 110 in years 2-6.    Who fires a coach who averages 22 wins over a 5 year span?     Especially if he is averaging 23-24 over the last 3?      Now, clearly there is room for improvement, particularly in the post-season.   But seriously.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 05:31:09 PM »
At least there would be two offensive rebounders.   

I agree that the lack of production from the MU bigs is a compelling reason to not play two of them together.    However, getting pushed around under the boards, particularly late, directly contributed to a close home loss.   

I wouldn't mind it being done at specific times, but not as a regular thing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 05:32:05 PM »
I wouldn't mind it being done at specific times, but not as a regular thing.

Agreed.    But, getting crushed on the boards is one of those specific times, IMO.   

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »
If MU finishes the way I think they will, Wojo will have won around 70 games in 3 years and 110 in years 2-6.    Who fires a coach who averages 22 wins over a 5 year span?     Especially if he is averaging 23-24 over the last 3?      Now, clearly there is room for improvement, particularly in the post-season.   But seriously.

I see everything you said, and I raise you a top ten recruiting class.

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 06:12:08 PM »
I see everything you said, and I raise you a top ten recruiting class.

500 in conference every year save his first year and last year. Last year was great until choking away a BE title that was firmly in the grasp.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 06:20:51 PM »
500 in conference every year save his first year and last year. Last year was great until choking away a BE title that was firmly in the grasp.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »

Considering a lot of what you're relying on for your argument hasn't happened, it's pretty easy to paint a rosy picture.

You're suggesting that you think we'll win 23-25 games this year, though (or being awfully generous when rounding up). We have 11 wins now and have 15 more guaranteed games. I'd say we win at best 2 in the BET, which means we'd still need to get 10 more wins of the 15 remaining to hit the low end of your estimate. Seems a little on the optimistic side of reality to me, but it's not out of the question.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2020, 06:31:44 PM »
I do believe MU will finish the year with 23-25 wins.   Counting postseason.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2020, 06:49:55 PM »
I do believe MU will finish the year with 23-25 wins.   Counting postseason.

With that target, I'd say it's fair to assume that there's 1-3 post season wins included in your range. That still leaves 11 wins needed in the regular season, which is going to be tough. On the plus side, we've already played 3 of the toughest conference games, so that will help. One the down side, we've had a very tough time in road games and still have 7 more away games.

I'll say this, if your prediction comes true, I'd be ecstatic, and I would give a ton of credit to Wojo for that kind of result. If we finish with 12 wins in the Big East, or if a few more of the wins you're projecting end up coming in the post season, that would be a great way to end the year and to close out Markus Howard's collegiate career. I'm not on the same page as you, but let's hope you're right.

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »
Considering a lot of what you're relying on for your argument hasn't happened, it's pretty easy to paint a rosy picture.

You're suggesting that you think we'll win 23-25 games this year, though (or being awfully generous when rounding up). We have 11 wins now and have 15 more guaranteed games. I'd say we win at best 2 in the BET, which means we'd still need to get 10 more wins of the 15 remaining to hit the low end of your estimate. Seems a little on the optimistic side of reality to me, but it's not out of the question.

Literally 92% of what he's relying on has already happened.  He's projecting the last 15 games of a 180+ game sample size over 6 years

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2020, 11:03:37 PM »
Literally 92% of what he's relying on has already happened.  He's projecting the last 15 games of a 180+ game sample size over 6 years

He's relying on the remainder of this season to show that Wojo has a record good enough to silence the doubters. The conversation is purely about what hasn't happened, as noted by the rest of the post you quoted.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2020, 11:10:07 PM »
He's relying on the remainder of this season to show that Wojo has a record good enough to silence the doubters. The conversation is purely about what hasn't happened, as noted by the rest of the post you quoted.

I would like to focus on next year and the incoming recruiting class that is going to lead to a huge improvement for Wojo led teams.

More specifically,  I want to focus on which recruit is going to teach Wojo about in-game adjustments? 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2020, 11:48:15 PM »
Based on a quick review of Sacar and Brendan's game by game offensive stats, Sacar looks more consistent to me. A lot more consistent. Brendan has had a couple of very good games but has also had some very bad games. He's really been all over the place. The four game conference stretch has been a good example of this.

Sacar in the month of December was a very consistent second scoring option. He scored in double figures in all 6 games and shot over 50% from the field and from 3. This is what I think he's capable of doing on a regular basis. Looking across the full season, he's been in double digits in 10 games and only had one game scoring fewer than 6 points. Brendan, on the other hand, has scored in double digits only 4 times and has scored fewer than 6 in 8 games.

In that December stretch, Sacar did look consistent. However, 4 of his 5 100+ ORtg games in December were buy games. Against high major teams, he's hit 100+ only 2 of 10 times.

Bailey has cracked 100+ ORtg 5/10 times, and those all came in the last 8 games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2020, 01:02:22 AM »
So far this season, I'd say Brendan is Marquette's most improved player. He's increased his shooting percentages both inside and outside the arc. He's a far stronger rebounder, more than doubling his defensive rebounding percentage per KenPom (currently second-best on the team). He's also more than doubled his assist rate, while turning the ball over less often than anyone else on the roster.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words