[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oops  (Read 24052 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Oops
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2020, 09:00:21 PM »
Which sucks because they’re obviously much better than that.

Are they? If MU played half as well as they did against Nova, they win by 15+. To me that was much more an MU loss than a Providence win

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 09:02:04 PM »
Gonna have to rally on Saturday. 1-3 start with xavier at home sounds depressing as hell. The thing is the bug east is good. 7-8 legit tourney teams. Not much disparity between the teams at all. Gonna be a ton of down to the wire games. Which of course will lead to some teams just getting some luck and winning more than they should and other teams losing more than they should. Cant afford to lose home games like this anymore. Difference between 3rd place and 7th place finish even though 3rd and 7 teams are no better or worse than each other. We are a bubble team. Well see what happens

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »
Anyone blaming loss on Wojo is a turd. Gotta make layups

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2020, 09:02:26 PM »
do you really think this even matters at years end??? maybe the difference between NIT or not? Really this team is not good, and the Big East is good. If we were in a weak conference maybe it matters, but got a feeling we are in for a long season

Lol this team could go 8-10 and have a decent shot at am ncaa bid. At least educate yourself before making dumbass comments.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2020, 09:08:26 PM »
Lol this team could go 8-10 and have a decent shot at am ncaa bid. At least educate yourself before making dumbass comments.

8-10 may be the ceiling...........

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2020, 09:12:48 PM »
This is a tough loss to swallow, but I can live with the gutsy performance. Jayce Johnson really contributed doing the little things down the stretch. We just need Koby to step up into the number 2 scoring option night in and night out.
Number 2 scoring option now I have to say is Bailey.  The Kid showed heart today.  Other than the bigs, only guy to play Providence tough at the rim.  Everyone else seems to just disappear.  A 1.5 head offense just won't cut it. 

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »
1.  Finishing through contact.  Providence did.  Marquette didn't. 
2.  Boxing out.  Greg, Jamal, Sacar. 
3.  Markus.  Appreciate him while he is here. 
4.  Providence is very physical.   MU did not always step up.  See #2.
5.  I liked the post double teams in the first half. 
6.  Blown lay ups.   See #1.
7.  Jayce was the better 5 tonight.  He brought effort and physicality.  Changed the game a couple of times with pure hustle.
8.  Bailey is just fine.   Other than that last free throw.
9.  Zone.  Wojo never makes adjustments.  Whatever.
10.   In the end, losing because Providence powered their way to one more offensive rebound.  See #2
11.  And a free throw that matta'd.
Credit to Providence they came out hungry and earned a win. Clutch three at the end of regulation and just enough in overtime. Really physical team # Matchups matter.
Another slow start and at home. Wojo deserves some blame. The comeback to take a seven point lead. Wojo deserves some credit.
The loss is on everyone.
Four missed free throws in a row really killed Marquettes momentum.
Glad Markus is OK.
Agree with boxing out but a lot of those were scrums in close.
Koby regressed to the mean.
Theo needs to string multiple good games together.
Jayce was serviceable.
Ed?
Sacar needs to be aggressive offensively earlier in games.
Cain/Elliot still growing into their minutes.
Bailey showed  up from three.
Markus was Markus offensively but got exploited repeatedly on defense.
Not finishing drives was the difference in the game.
No. None. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Zippo. Easy games in Big East play.
iIf you didn't know it before you know it now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:51:48 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2020, 09:14:47 PM »
8-10 may be the ceiling...........

Lol, I am as disappointed as anyone but that this simply isn’t true.

Doesn’t take me long to realize why I don’t post here much anymore when I do occasionally return. This place sucks.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2020, 09:17:21 PM »
The most atrocious moment of the game, and it's hard to not choose the timeout after the first missed free throw at the very end, is when Bailey missed the third free throw and it took like 3 seconds to foul them.  How we are not crashing the boards and then fouling immediately if they get it is beyond me, and whether you are pro Wojo or not, that is on the coaches.  How do you not have your team prepared for that situation?  If they are shooting two with 4 seconds left, it's still a game!  Painful to lose, but even more painful when we just gift them advantages.  I am trying really hard to like Wojo but today was a huge red mark in the nope column.  I pretty much like him for just about everything but I just don't think he is a good in-game coach.  I just don't see it.  Losing at home to Providence today was just bad and ugly.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2020, 09:19:03 PM »
We didn't deserve to win that game. MU didn't show up for the first 16+ minutes, down 27-16 at the 3:58 mark. You can't play half a game and expect to win in the Big East. Lots to improve on. Next up.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2020, 09:21:25 PM »
I thought that Markus got abused the whole game with infrequent calls.
The drive that he made (1 on 5) and laid in, culminated in his being hit and driven 4 feet left. No call.
That was not an isolated incident.
I am not blaming the zebras for this loss. Blame: 60% Wojo, 40 % players.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2020, 09:22:06 PM »
Well they also had a 25% 3 point shooter with a horseshoe lodged up his ass tonight. That certainly didn’t help.
Providence threw up a whole bunch of absolute sh!t that somehow went in.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »
I thought that Markus got abused the whole game with infrequent calls.
OTOH, he gets away with the chicken wing push off quite a bit.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2020, 09:25:52 PM »
The most atrocious moment of the game, and it's hard to not choose the timeout after the first missed free throw at the very end, is when Bailey missed the third free throw and it took like 3 seconds to foul them.  How we are not crashing the boards and then fouling immediately if they get it is beyond me, and whether you are pro Wojo or not, that is on the coaches.  How do you not have your team prepared for that situation?  If they are shooting two with 4 seconds left, it's still a game!  Painful to lose, but even more painful when we just gift them advantages.  I am trying really hard to like Wojo but today was a huge red mark in the nope column.  I pretty much like him for just about everything but I just don't think he is a good in-game coach.  I just don't see it.  Losing at home to Providence today was just bad and ugly.

Sacar chased the ball, but started from the opposite side of the lane.  Jamal, who was the closest MU player, turned and ran down the court like there was 5 minutes left.  The amount of time these guys spend on basketball...how can they do things like that???

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2020, 09:31:09 PM »
Thought it was a hard fought game. Providence is very physical but we played really hard and as physical as we are capable.

Don’t like the loss, but not going to pile on Wojo here. This was a great basketball game.  Definitely wish we won, but think we will win a couple of games we are underdogs.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »
We're just a middle of the road team that has one player who could get red hot and win us a few games we shouldn't. I think this game just made me accept it.

Pretty much.  Feels a lot like Diener's senior year. 

At this point, my goal for the season is simple:  sneak into the tourney somehow and hope Markus shoots us to the 2nd weekend.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2020, 09:33:34 PM »
Thought it was a hard fought game. Providence is very physical but we played really hard and as physical as we are capable.

Don’t like the loss, but not going to pile on Wojo here. This was a great basketball game.  Definitely wish we won, but think we will win a couple of games we are underdogs.

How can you not pile on Wojo?  He lost the game for MU by not telling the team to foul.  Instead, Providence buries a 3 to force OT.  Good coaches don't make that mistake....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2020, 09:35:22 PM »
How can you not pile on Wojo?  He lost the game for MU by not telling the team to foul.  Instead, Providence buries a 3 to force OT.  Good coaches don't make that mistake....

I thought we also lost the game right there.

But your last sentence is horsecrap and why many here think you're a clown. Do you sincerely believe that no "good" coach has ever not fouled, then lost, up 3?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2020, 09:37:18 PM »
I think more coaches don't foul in that situation than do.  Fouling introduces the possibility or losing in regulation, which a lot of coaches are wary of.  I don't mind the not fouling, a poor shooter made a tough shot while being pretty well guarded.  Not so happy with the failure to crash the boards on Bailey's FT miss and either keep the ball alive or foul the rebounder.  And the last timeout was brutal.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2020, 09:37:49 PM »
Sacar chased the ball, but started from the opposite side of the lane.  Jamal, who was the closest MU player, turned and ran down the court like there was 5 minutes left.  The amount of time these guys spend on basketball...how can they do things like that???

I've said similar things about a number of guys this year. There just seems to be a lack of discipline on the floor with this team. Guys playing too fast, sloppy/lazy passes, driving to the paint without knowing what the next step is, etc. These kinds of things shouldn't be happening so much at this level. Add to that the inconsistency in energy/focus, and you wind up with some head-scratching results.

I like that this team is more athletic than we've had in the past, but so far, that doesn't seem to be outweighing the lower basketball IQ and weaker fundamentals often enough. I'm sure we'll win a game or two or three that we're not projected to with this group, but I worry we may drop a few more like this too.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:09 PM »

But your last sentence is horsecrap and why many here think you're a clown. Do you sincerely believe that no "good" coach has ever not fouled, then lost, up 3?

Why do you continually make excuses for poor behavior?  Why do you enable?  Is it in your nature?  I just don't get it...... 

All you do is validate my argument that the fanbase is very reluctant, lackadaisical, and passive.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:46 PM »

How much time was left? I thought there was 18. I feel like if you have to let a play develop, you run the risk of fouling a 3 pt shooter. Also, the way they were beating us up on the boards, I’m not sure it was certainty to foul.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2020, 09:42:32 PM »
How much time was left? I thought there was 18. I feel like if you have to let a play develop, you run the risk of fouling a 3 pt shooter. Also, the way they were beating us up on the boards, I’m not sure it was certainty to foul.

That's a low risk situation.  Not to mention, Providence was shaky from the line.  That loss may be the one that puts them on the bubble and forfeits them a tourney appearance. - All do to coaching

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »
Why do you continually make excuses for poor behavior?  Why do you enable?  Is it in your nature?  I just don't get it...... 

All you do is validate my argument that the fanbase is very reluctant, lackadaisical, and passive.

You didn't answer my question

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »

I'd love to see some of the numbers on this scenario. To me (not a high level basketball coach) it seems like a no brainer to foul. Prevent the possibility of a tie and then you get the ball back. I don't get the decision not to foul, but I wouldn't say that was the biggest reason we lost.

The biggest reason we lost is that we rely way too much on Markus when we're on offense. Guys are way too comfortable standing still, not being active on the offensive end. And that is even more evident when Markus isn't on the floor. We need Bailey or Sacar to be more consistently aggressive and take more shots. They're good enough players; they just need to take the initiative to score more often.