Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Theo John’s terrible, horrible, no good, very bad night  (Read 3226 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
5 touches on offense. 3 turnovers.

And that was somehow better than the defense, which to be fair, is not entirely Theo's fault. McDermott ran laps around Wojo in game planning for this one.

https://painttouches.com/2020/01/02/theo-johns-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-night/

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Great write-up. Dougie Sr. owned MU coaching staff's shorts last night. Drawing Theo out past the circle, attacking and posting-up our guards in the paint was brilliant, but shouldn't have been unexpected. MU's lack of adjustments was perplexing, but Wojo is a systems coach. 

1SE

• All American
This just depresses me.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Goose

• All American
For some reason Theo became a crowd favorite and true basketball evaluation went out the window. He is a role player on a team like MU and a bench warmer on an elite team. The fact that Theo's play needs to by reviewed only amplifies how much work needs to be done at MU.

1SE

• All American
Theo, utilized and coached properly could be a consistent elite interior defender.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

#UnleashSean

• All American
For some reason Theo became a crowd favorite and true basketball evaluation went out the window. He is a role player on a team like MU and a bench warmer on an elite team. The fact that Theo's play needs to by reviewed only amplifies how much work needs to be done at MU.

This right here. People got all excited about his "great" blocking ability and didn't pay attention to his massive deficits.

jonny09

• Team Captain
It’s not just Theo.  It’s Ed and Jayce as well.  Ed is just out of control and Jayce is simply tall and goofy.  Not an offensive move among any of them.

Nukem2

• All American
Theo has had trouble catching the ball since a Day 1.  He has missed many rebounds in his time at MU because he simply does not have good hands.  Offensively, he needs to get the ball in perfect position otherwise he fumbles it.  Stone hands.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
Solid analysis, pathetic performance by players and coaches last night.

Goose

• All American
1SE

I do not think Theo is a high IQ ball player. I think he has a lot of work ahead to become an elite interior defender. That said, if standing in the paint and trying to block shots is elite interior defense, than he could have a chance. I always fall badly bashing guys that appear to be great guys off the court and work hard on the court, but I do not believe Theo is an everyday player on a good team.

BM1090

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Theo John’s terrible, horrible, no good, very bad night
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 02:15:35 PM »
1SE

I do not think Theo is a high IQ ball player. I think he has a lot of work ahead to become an elite interior defender. That said, if standing in the paint and trying to block shots is elite interior defense, than he could have a chance. I always fall badly bashing guys that appear to be great guys off the court and work hard on the court, but I do not believe Theo is an everyday player on a good team.

I guess it depends on your definition of a good team. We will likely make our 2nd consecutive tournament with Theo starting. If you're talking about top 10-15 teams, then yes I agree. And we do need to upgrade our center position going forward.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »
Theo is an enforcer and as a result of poor player development under Wojo, has failed to improve.  It's a shame because Theo has an NBA body and the ability to develop into an elite college defender.  I always saw Montrez Harrell lite in him, but the "Wojo Effect" canceled that out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 02:18:37 PM »
Good article, Andrei. Illustrates well how deliberate they were about drawing Theo away from the rim from the jump in order to open driving lanes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 02:19:51 PM »
BM1090

At this moment I would say we are in average team. Whenever I post and reference good teams, I am talking about top ten programs.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
Mike Deane

Montrez Harrell Lite? You have little credibility with many on here and you just lost some in my book with that reference. NBA body and no basketball skills does not get coached up.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 02:42:36 PM »
BM1090

At this moment I would say we are in average team. Whenever I post and reference good teams, I am talking about top ten programs.

Then we are in agreement.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 02:44:51 PM »
See, here's the deal.  If you're incapable of analyzing then you have to rely on credibility aka popularity.  That's not a trait of someone who can think for themselves or on a topic. 

One only need to look at the careers of Amal McCaskil and Jae Crowder to see how they progressed.  Theo John, like many other players under Wojo's tutelage, haven't developed well.  There's a reason the Hausers bolted. 

Theo John is high energy and should easily be getting 10 Rebounds a game.  Instead, he's literally stayed the same player throughout his entire college career - which is unusual.  Most get better.  You could argue it's an aberration but when you see Wojo's results over the past 5 years, it fits the theme.  Lack of Player Development

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 02:47:29 PM »
See, here's the deal.  If you're incapable of analyzing then you have to rely on credibility aka popularity.  That's not a trait of someone who can think for themselves or on a topic. 

One only need to look at the careers of Amal McCaskil and Jae Crowder to see how they progressed.  Theo John, like many other players under Wojo's tutelage, haven't developed well.  There's a reason the Hausers bolted. 

Theo John is high energy and should easily be getting 10 Rebounds a game.  Instead, he's literally stayed the same player throughout his entire college career - which is unusual.  Most get better.  You could argue it's an aberration but when you see Wojo's results over the past 5 years, it fits the theme.  Lack of Player Development
Theo has bad hands his whole time at MU.  Just can’t grab the ball.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »
There are ball handling drills you can do to help you improve hand eye coordination.  Honestly, his issue can be improved - a lot over time.  Again, another player who failed to develop under Wojo.  How many excuses does Wojo get here?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 03:04:29 PM »
It’s not just Theo.  It’s Ed and Jayce as well. 

Hmmm, if only we had someone who specialized in coaching bigs.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »
Hmmm, if only we had someone who specialized in coaching bigs.

That would be Stan, who some here want to be head coach.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 08:04:17 PM »
Production wise each game, he's right where we expected. Time and time again, the comp for him years ago was Faisal.

Theo - Jr. year
5.5p, 4.5r, 1.9b,

Faisal - Jr. year
4.7p, 5.0r, 1.9b

Theo's gotta get the FG% up (= eFG% for him) and turnovers down, but for those who are looking for a 12 ppg scorer.. no
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 09:19:18 PM »
Production wise each game, he's right where we expected. Time and time again, the comp for him years ago was Faisal.

Theo - Jr. year
5.5p, 4.5r, 1.9b,

Faisal - Jr. year
4.7p, 5.0r, 1.9b

Theo's gotta get the FG% up (= eFG% for him) and turnovers down, but for those who are looking for a 12 ppg scorer.. no

Dead on...four years ago.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 09:35:33 PM »
Wish he could be more consistent putting the ball in the basket when he has it under the rim.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 06:01:48 PM »
Theo was great defensively today.