collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tokyo/Olympics  (Read 4453 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Tokyo/Olympics
« on: December 30, 2019, 10:38:03 PM »
Thinking about making the trip to Tokyo for the summer Olympics. Does anybody have any recommendations for either traveling to Tokyo itself or for attending the Olympics for someone who has done neither?

Best way to get tickets to the events you want to attend? Best way to save on lodging? How far out to look for tickets/lodging?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Tokyo/Olympics
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »
Thinking about making the trip to Tokyo for the summer Olympics. Does anybody have any recommendations for either traveling to Tokyo itself or for attending the Olympics for someone who has done neither?

Best way to get tickets to the events you want to attend? Best way to save on lodging? How far out to look for tickets/lodging?

PM me
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »

ANA out of Chicago would be my recommendation. Anytime I’ve flown them, even just economy, I’ve been very impressed with them. Direct to Narita.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 04:48:08 AM »
Bring lotsa condoms hey
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 08:03:33 AM »
ANA out of Chicago would be my recommendation. Anytime I’ve flown them, even just economy, I’ve been very impressed with them. Direct to Narita.

If you can fly into Haneda do that instead as it's much easier to get into Tokyo. United has shifted their service from Narita to Haneda this year.

Ana is a superior carrier to any in the USA. Have enjoyed all my flights on them.
But I like to throw handfuls...

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
Open up your pocketbook because Japan is already costly, the Olympics will push that up considerably.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 09:00:02 PM »

I have two sons who currently live in Tokyo, one of whom has been there 14 years. I’ll pass on your questions and get back to you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 09:46:26 PM »
I have two sons who currently live in Tokyo, one of whom has been there 14 years. I’ll pass on your questions and get back to you.

Party at Lenny Jr.'s. BYOK!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 10:00:38 PM »

krokodil?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 10:14:28 PM »

I enjoy the Hotel Okura. They treat the foreign business traveler very well. Whatever hotel you choose book early because  sponsors tend to book many of the rooms . Japan is expensive.

We have gone to the Olympics in the past as a guest of sponsor so they had tickets .  Would start with the official reseller of the tickets to get a feel for prices.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 11:57:29 PM »

Kikkoman clearly. A taste of Wisconsin quality in the land of the rising sun

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 12:19:01 AM »
Kikkoman clearly. A taste of Wisconsin quality in the land of the rising sun

Tastes like Walworth!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 05:38:34 AM »
Kimono.

But Kikkoman kraked me up. krokodil ... nah.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 12:06:13 PM »
If any of you have a subscription to Outside Magazine, the April/May edition has a lengthy but fascinating article titled “The Man Who Could Destroy The Olympics” by Alex Perry.  It’s restored my belief in quality journalism.  I had a whiff of the corruption in the IOC, but this article is incredibly damning.  Putin in particular. 
Ludum habemus.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 12:18:17 PM »

I read that as Bring Your Own Keg, and just figured you guys partied hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 01:19:03 PM »
Putin in particular.

Great leader.   Yuge.   Loves America.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »
Check to make sure you can get in. Last I heard, the Olympic venues' tickets were not going to be sold outside Japan.

Should the Olympics still be held, the capacity constraints will make ticket costs astronomical. Not sure it's worth it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »
Check to make sure you can get in. Last I heard, the Olympic venues' tickets were not going to be sold outside Japan.

Should the Olympics still be held, the capacity constraints will make ticket costs astronomical. Not sure it's worth it.

The original post was from 18 months ago. Obviously things have changed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 01:57:08 PM »

You can PM me.  Absolutely go to Kyoto and Nara.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 02:31:31 PM »
Yeah unfortunately I am not planning on attending the Olympics anymore.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 04:31:25 PM »
Yeah unfortunately I am not planning on attending the Olympics anymore.

pretty good move, since International visitors are banned from entering Japan for the Olympics.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 05:06:54 PM »
pretty good move, since International visitors are banned from entering Japan for the Olympics.

Yeah.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 10:06:03 PM »
Japan revisiting its isolationist roots...SAD!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 10:41:22 PM »
Japan revisiting its isolationist roots...SAD!

At least they have a valid reason this time. Last thing another country wants is a bunch of unvaccinated Americans swarming everywhere.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 10:44:23 PM »
So wades is the one who cursed us?

feedback