[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214871 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #2025 on: March 28, 2022, 11:55:04 AM »
Maybe eventually it'll come out, but really need a camera feed of what happened between Will and Jada in the (20 seconds?) between the camera showing Will laughing at Rock's joke, and then the camera goes back to Rock.

Agreed, Denzel is the coolest person alive, and no one is taking his throne.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2026 on: March 28, 2022, 12:11:30 PM »
The dichotomy in the reactions to this is fascinating. 

I'm not trying to belittle anyone's conditions or experiences, but people are really trying frame alopecia like its terminal cancer.  Or like Jada lost her hair during chemo and Rock was going after her for that.  Not to mention, I'm not sure GI Jane is really an insult.

But above all else.  He's a comedian.  He made a joke.  You may find it in poor taste, but its certainly not the first or the last.  Just a wild reaction that I'm shocked is being applauded.  Dude has been through a lot in his marriage in the last few years and is clearly mentally not doing great.

In contrast, Denzel proving yet again that he is an absolute TITAN of Hollywood.  Man can't look or act any cooler or classier

I'm admittedly not following this story that closely but I haven't seen a single person seriously applauding Smith for what he did. I'm sure they exist because everything exists on the internet, but the vast of majority of responses I have seen have criticized Smith.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2027 on: March 28, 2022, 12:14:13 PM »
I'm admittedly not following this story that closely but I haven't seen a single person seriously applauding Smith for what he did. I'm sure they exist because everything exists on the internet, but the vast of majority of responses I have seen have criticized Smith.

Eh, a lot of Twitter was chastising Chris for the joke.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2028 on: March 28, 2022, 12:20:35 PM »

Well yeah, but chastising Rock for the joke is not the same thing as applauding Smith for punching him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2029 on: March 28, 2022, 12:34:34 PM »
Tiffany Haddish, Ayanna Pressley, Jaden Smith

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2030 on: March 28, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
Denzel is awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2031 on: March 28, 2022, 12:40:38 PM »
If someone is going to use negative, personal, put down humor towards someone else, that person needs to expect a possible negative response in return including physical when around that person.

Violence is not okay, and it is not condoned. But if someone mouths off this way in unsolicited fashion, that person needs to be prepared that their words can and often will lead to a physical altercation. Perhaps it's best to not mouth off in this way in the first place.

To say oh this person was just making a joke, or is a comedian so it's okay isn't good enough. There are lots of jokes and types of jokes and humor that don't involve that stuff. Plenty to choose from.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2032 on: March 28, 2022, 12:47:41 PM »

Not a serious person, but still ...

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene
@RepMTG
I never watch the Oscars but I’ve seen the Will Smith/Chris Rock clip a million times this morning.
I have to say I appreciate the Alpha male response of a husband defending his wife.
It was settled and then no more drama.
Chris Rock handled it like a man with no whining.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2033 on: March 28, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »

Twitter isn't the real world though. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2034 on: March 28, 2022, 12:53:42 PM »
If someone is going to use negative, personal, put down humor towards someone else, that person needs to expect a possible negative response in return including physical when around that person.

Violence is not okay, and it is not condoned. But if someone mouths off this way in unsolicited fashion, that person needs to be prepared that their words can and often will lead to a physical altercation. Perhaps it's best to not mouth off in this way in the first place.

To say oh this person was just making a joke, or is a comedian so it's okay isn't good enough. There are lots of jokes and types of jokes and humor that don't involve that stuff. Plenty to choose from.
Is this how they do it in the Lou?
That wasn't mouthing off. It was a joke, at the Oscar's. It's expected there. Should the Leo have gone up there and slapped Amy Schumer for her joke on the age of Leo's conquests? There is no defending what Will Smith did.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2035 on: March 28, 2022, 12:54:54 PM »
That wasn't mouthing off. It was a joke, at the Oscar's. It's expected there. Should the Leo have gone up there and slapped Amy Schumer for her joke on the age of Leo's conquests? There is no defending what Will Smith did.

I don't think he is excusing Will's response.  Just pointing out that sometimes actions have consequences.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2036 on: March 28, 2022, 01:02:43 PM »
I don't think he is excusing Will's response.  Just pointing out that sometimes actions have consequences.

When I said she shouldn't have dressed provocatively and then gotten drunk at a frat party, I wasn't excusing the rape. Just pointing out that sometimes actions have consequences.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2037 on: March 28, 2022, 01:03:58 PM »

I have lived a lot of places. It's common everywhere I've been, yes.

Like I said. I don't condone violence of any kind. But it is living in a sheltered dream world to think you can say anything you want to someone without it possibly leading to a physical altercation.

Some people try to hide behind it's just a joke, or, they said it from a safe physical distance at the time and later ran into that person.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2038 on: March 28, 2022, 01:05:27 PM »

Yes, thank you.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2039 on: March 28, 2022, 01:06:12 PM »

Sure, but again, it wasn't "put down" humor.  It wasn't even "oh you're fat".  There are bald jokes about men far harsher or insulting.  The reaction to the joke wasn't even "oooohhh sh**" like it was particularly edgy.

By Will's standards last night, every roast should devolve into fisticuffs.  Shoot's basically saying we should all stick to safe observational humor like Jerry Seinfeld otherwise people are justified in swinging at you, cause words have consequences and we should all be better.

Im shocked Don Rickles lived to 90.  Someone should have punched him in the face cause he could have resorted to much kinder and gentler humor.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2040 on: March 28, 2022, 01:14:13 PM »
What jumps out to me is that Regina Hall's joke about Will and Jada during her surprise covid test skit was more cutting (but also much funnier/more clever, so):

"Will Smith, you’re married but, you know, you’re on the list and looks like Jada approved you, so get on up here!"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2041 on: March 28, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »
Sure, but again, it wasn't "put down" humor.  It wasn't even "oh you're fat".  There are bald jokes about men far harsher or insulting.  The reaction to the joke wasn't even "oooohhh sh**" like it was particularly edgy.

By Will's standards last night, every roast should devolve into fisticuffs.  Shoot's basically saying we should all stick to safe observational humor like Jerry Seinfeld otherwise people are justified in swinging at you, cause words have consequences and we should all be better.

Im shocked Don Rickles lived to 90.  Someone should have punched him in the face cause he could have resorted to much kinder and gentler humor.

Yeah I don't disagree, was just responding to lawdogs last sentence.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2042 on: March 28, 2022, 02:00:02 PM »
But it is living in a sheltered dream world to think you can say anything you want to someone without it possibly leading to a physical altercation.

Or, you know, living in our current world. Perhaps you can point me to the last time that a celebrity walked up on stage and hit a performer for making this kind of joke? The reason we've all been inundated with this today is because this is unprecedented. This isn't the school yard. This isn't a locker room. It's not a restaurant. It's a comedian on-stage on a nationally televised awards show. So, no, Chris Rock probably did not expect Will Smith to come up on stage and hit him. Can you imagine what would have happened to Norm MacDonald at the ESPYs if this was a typical response to a comedian at this type of show? It's not. It's very atypical.

All that said, I do think Rock's joke was in poor taste. Rock made a joke about Jada Smith at the Oscars in 2016 (2:37). Perhaps Smith was still pissed about that. Who knows? But Smith shouldn't have hit him.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 04:12:30 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2043 on: March 28, 2022, 02:24:02 PM »

No. That isn’t what I said.

What I said was actions/words have consequences sometimes. If that’s the world someone wants to live in, the possibility is always there that a person will respond, even physically.

Specifics matter as every situation is a unique, individual situation. Taking the Oscars example, the biggest factor is that the comment was about Will Smith’s wife, not Will Smith himself. This increases the likelihood of a response of some kind. Consider the joke topic, and, that also increases the likelihood of a response. Consider the history, consider the joke earlier in the evening etc…and it isn’t all that difficult to see where it all ended up.

Who’s to say Don Rickles has never been punched in the face a few times in his life? I’d be surprised if that were not the case.

I have yet to say that violence is okay or condoned, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t easy to see when it might happen.

It’s like the internet tough guy who forgets he isn’t on the internet some time when he’s saying similar things near a person/target. That’s the line that person chose to walk. That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t also be consequences if necessary to the other person in a physical altercation. Both actions have consequences sometimes. That’s how it works.

There are massive, vast, wide ranges to comedy. Time, place, circumstance also apply.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2044 on: March 28, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »
These discussions remind me of Eddie Murphy's old bit about the difference in telling Mr. T jokes vs. Michael Jackson jokes.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2045 on: March 28, 2022, 03:48:07 PM »
No. That isn’t what I said.

What I said was actions/words have consequences sometimes. If that’s the world someone wants to live in, the possibility is always there that a person will respond, even physically.

Specifics matter as every situation is a unique, individual situation. Taking the Oscars example, the biggest factor is that the comment was about Will Smith’s wife, not Will Smith himself. This increases the likelihood of a response of some kind. Consider the joke topic, and, that also increases the likelihood of a response. Consider the history, consider the joke earlier in the evening etc…and it isn’t all that difficult to see where it all ended up.

Who’s to say Don Rickles has never been punched in the face a few times in his life? I’d be surprised if that were not the case.

I have yet to say that violence is okay or condoned, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t easy to see when it might happen.

It’s like the internet tough guy who forgets he isn’t on the internet some time when he’s saying similar things near a person/target. That’s the line that person chose to walk. That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t also be consequences if necessary to the other person in a physical altercation. Both actions have consequences sometimes. That’s how it works.

There are massive, vast, wide ranges to comedy. Time, place, circumstance also apply.

This all classic victim blaming. You're putting the onus on the person who was assaulted not to do something that might provoke an assault, no matter how unprovoked that assault is or how unreasonable the actions of the perpetrator.
That's ridiculous.
If a Marquette fan gets attacked for wearing MU gear at a road game, would you respond by saying that's simply a consequence of supporting your team? A person robbed at the ATM? That's the consequence of banking at night.
A person should be free to tell a joke in a forum in which he was specifically hired to tell jokes
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 03:49:47 PM by Pakuni »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2046 on: March 28, 2022, 04:15:24 PM »
I kinda feel that this is the inevitable result of the Oscars reacting too much about its ratings demise, "dumbing it down" for everyone, and in the end it satisfies no one - particularly those who care quite a bit about the Oscars.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2047 on: March 28, 2022, 04:21:23 PM »
This all classic victim blaming. You're putting the onus on the person who was assaulted not to do something that might provoke an assault, no matter how unprovoked that assault is or how unreasonable the actions of the perpetrator.
That's ridiculous.
If a Marquette fan gets attacked for wearing MU gear at a road game, would you respond by saying that's simply a consequence of supporting your team? A person robbed at the ATM? That's the consequence of banking at night.
A person should be free to tell a joke in a forum in which he was specifically hired to tell jokes

Those aren’t apples to apples comparisons. Not close. Neither were your other ones.

The difference of course is intent. When you say things intentionally trying to provoke a negative response, you will sometimes get a negative response.

There is nothing wrong with wearing a team’s gear by itself. There is nothing wrong with using an ATM.

That’s much different of course than intentionally initiating conflict with someone else.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2048 on: March 28, 2022, 04:34:49 PM »
The difference of course is intent. When you say things intentionally trying to provoke a negative response, you will sometimes get a negative response.

So, you believe Rock told that joke intending to provoke a negative (violent?) response from Will Smith.
Huh. Personally, I think he was just going for laughs.
How has every Comedy Central Roast not devolved into a royal rumble?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2049 on: March 28, 2022, 04:42:25 PM »
So, you believe Rock told that joke intending to provoke a negative (violent?) response from Will Smith.
Huh. Personally, I think he was just going for laughs.
How has every Comedy Central Roast not devolved into a royal rumble?

One has an expectation of mean spirited jokes being the entire point.  It's a bad analogy.

feedback