collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214961 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1925 on: February 04, 2022, 10:58:22 AM »
Pam and Tommy is...interesting.

Tommy's prosthetic, talking penis is a bit much.

I was shocked how well Lily James ended up looking like Pam. I thought the casting was ridiculous at first but they did an incredible job.

The talking penis is moronic, though Jason Mantzoukas' voice always makes me laugh.  Even if Seth Rogan wasn't starring in it, you could clearly tell its a Rogen vehicle.  Its dumb but fairly entertaining.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1926 on: February 04, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »
I wouldn't say it's a traditional comedy, but does have quite a lot of funny moments. I also wouldn't classify it as a drama, there's not many going to make you cry moments. It's got action, comedy, drama, adventure etc.

It's got the whole teenagers being teenagers and plays parts of the series like you would normally expect to see in something built for that age group. But it's also a lot more adult moments then karate kid.

For part 2 of your question, they definitely bring up plots, moments, themes, and characters from the karate kid movies, but they don't rely on them heavily and the show in itself is it's own story.

Definitely do not need to see or rewatch the movies before you see the series.

Finished S1 of Cobra Kai. There was a LOT more Ralph Macchio than I expected. Don't know why, but I thought it was gonna be almost exclusively about Johnny and his people, and that maybe Macchio might make a few cameos. But it's as much a vehicle for Macchio as anyone.

He's not a great actor, but his role in this is just fine IMHO, and your review is spot-on so again I appreciate that. You also were right about absolutely no need to watch any of the movies beforehand. I plan to start on S2 this weekend.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1927 on: February 05, 2022, 10:52:29 AM »
The new show Abbot Elementary on Hulu is very funny

Enjoyed the first episode of Reacher on Prime.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1928 on: February 06, 2022, 05:56:41 PM »
The new show Abbot Elementary on Hulu is very funny

Enjoyed the first episode of Reacher on Prime.

My wife is a teacher and says Abbot Elementary is EXACTLY like real schools, except not.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1929 on: February 06, 2022, 06:56:57 PM »
Quickly crushed Reacher the last few days.

Nothing groundbreaking but good for that type of show. NIce fight scenes.

Thad Castle way better as Reacher than TC
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1930 on: February 06, 2022, 07:28:41 PM »
Is Bloodline any good? 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1931 on: February 06, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »
Is Bloodline any good?

Ive heard the first season is really good then it quickly descends into trash

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1932 on: February 06, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »
Ive heard the first season is really good then it quickly descends into trash

Alright.  Ty.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1933 on: February 07, 2022, 07:42:08 AM »

Reacher was a fun watch.  The wife and watched on and off all weekend and finished last night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1934 on: February 07, 2022, 07:53:37 AM »
We saw CODA over the weekend. Highly recommend for those who have Apple TV.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1935 on: February 07, 2022, 09:07:27 AM »

I watched about half the trailer and decided no way.

Glib, cute cop/spy movies appeal to me about as much as cop/spy movies that look like they went to a modeling agency to find their cast.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1936 on: February 07, 2022, 09:22:53 AM »
FWIW, Ritchson is FAR more in line with how Reacher is described in books/source text.  Tom Cruise was a ridiculous choice that annoyed many fans of the series when the movies were cast

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1937 on: February 07, 2022, 09:37:31 AM »
I watched about half the trailer and decided no way.

Glib, cute cop/spy movies appeal to me about as much as cop/spy movies that look like they went to a modeling agency to find their cast.

Yeah like I said, its nothing ground breaking. So I can completely see how it doesnt appeal to someone if that genre isnt your thing to begin with.

It definitely surprised me though. Its solid tv. Didnt drag on and wasnt eye roll inducing. And like I mentioned the fight sequences were pretty good aside from 1 that was totally unrealistic.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1938 on: February 07, 2022, 10:02:39 AM »
Is Bloodline any good?

It doesn't descend into trash.  The first season is phenomenal.  2 and 3 are okay, but certainly not trash.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1939 on: February 07, 2022, 11:52:02 AM »
Yeah like I said, its nothing ground breaking. So I can completely see how it doesnt appeal to someone if that genre isnt your thing to begin with.

It definitely surprised me though. Its solid tv. Didnt drag on and wasnt eye roll inducing. And like I mentioned the fight sequences were pretty good aside from 1 that was totally unrealistic.

Maybe it's cuz I'm older, PGs. I very well may have liked it when I was in my 20s or 30s. Consistent writing & great characters become much more important as I get older.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1940 on: February 07, 2022, 01:34:37 PM »
It doesn't descend into trash.  The first season is phenomenal.  2 and 3 are okay, but certainly not trash.

I'd say S1 of Bloodline was outstanding TV. Season 2 was OK -- with Ben Mendelsohn deservedly winning the best supporting actor Emmy for his manic portrayal of Danny. Season 3 was pretty bad, IMHO; we wanted to see what happened, but it was a pretty rough slog getting there.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1941 on: February 07, 2022, 01:40:08 PM »
I'd say S1 of Bloodline was outstanding TV. Season 2 was OK -- with Ben Mendelsohn deservedly winning the best supporting actor Emmy for his manic portrayal of Danny. Season 3 was pretty bad, IMHO; we wanted to see what happened, but it was a pretty rough slog getting there.

I'd agree. Third season was rough.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1942 on: February 07, 2022, 01:43:27 PM »
Maybe it's cuz I'm older, PGs. I very well may have liked it when I was in my 20s or 30s. Consistent writing & great characters become much more important as I get older.

Believe me I'm the same way.

I cant even flip on a network procedural for background noise. The Wire, Succession, BB, Sopranos etc.. are always the cream of the crop.

But I am able to occaisionally go more mindless with things like Reach or even Jack Ryan(cant remember when that last season even was) mostly because they drop the whole season at once and a slow work day or lack of sports evening puts them down.

But I get it. Writing and character development are huge

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1943 on: February 07, 2022, 02:36:11 PM »
I'd agree. Third season was rough.

I heard that they found out mid-way through the filming of Season 3 that there would be no Season 4, and had to radically compress the plot line. It shows.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1944 on: February 07, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »
Believe me I'm the same way.

I cant even flip on a network procedural for background noise. The Wire, Succession, BB, Sopranos etc.. are always the cream of the crop.

But I am able to occaisionally go more mindless with things like Reach or even Jack Ryan(cant remember when that last season even was) mostly because they drop the whole season at once and a slow work day or lack of sports evening puts them down.

But I get it. Writing and character development are huge

Yeah, I don’t wanna sound all high and mighty. I have watched shows in the past that I am not proud of. I think we all have.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1945 on: February 07, 2022, 02:53:44 PM »
Yeah, I don’t wanna sound all high and mighty. I have watched shows in the past that I am not proud of. I think we all have.

By definition, my "background" shows can't have too much detail in the plot or storyline, because it defeats the entire purpose of them being "background".

So yes, shows like Frasier and Seinfeld are background shows. Succession, not so much.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1946 on: February 07, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »
By definition, my "background" shows can't have too much detail in the plot or storyline, because it defeats the entire purpose of them being "background".

So yes, shows like Frasier and Seinfeld are background shows. Succession, not so much.

Excellent point.

I seldom watch TV as just background noise any more - rarely watch it ever during the day other than sports. We usually settle in around 9-10 pm to watch TV, so we are always looking for something to sink our teeth into.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1947 on: February 07, 2022, 03:48:29 PM »
It's disappointing that Peter and David Fornetti have not been wearing their Marquette swag very often on the current season The Curse of Oak Island.

In the previous 2 seasons they were always sporting.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1948 on: February 15, 2022, 07:51:38 AM »
Has anyone watched Murderville on Netflix? I just heard about it on Conan's podcast and I'm intrigued. Apparently it's a spoof criminal procedural with Will Arnett and a special guest star each episode (e.g., Conan, Marshawn Lynch, Sharon Stone, Kumail Nanjiani, etc.). The hook is that the guest stars don't have a script and have to improv their way through. I could see it being really funny. Or just awful. So, I was wondering if anyone had seen it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1949 on: February 15, 2022, 01:10:51 PM »
Has anyone watched Murderville on Netflix? I just heard about it on Conan's podcast and I'm intrigued. Apparently it's a spoof criminal procedural with Will Arnett and a special guest star each episode (e.g., Conan, Marshawn Lynch, Sharon Stone, Kumail Nanjiani, etc.). The hook is that the guest stars don't have a script and have to improv their way through. I could see it being really funny. Or just awful. So, I was wondering if anyone had seen it.

I am similarly intrigued but haven't pulled the trigger on watching it. Could see it being hilarious or just awful.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback