[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214944 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1500 on: June 01, 2021, 09:50:43 AM »
Just powered through 3 seasons of Yellowstone over the weekend.

If you like guns, sex, violence, cowboys and Indians, corporate greed, politics, wolves, grizzly bears, alcohol, mental health, fly fishing, rodeos, meth, train stations, 70 year cowboys shagging 24 year old cowgirls, and branding people with branding irons in a blender, this is the show for you.

I don't like guns, violence, cowboys and Indians, corporate greed, politics, wolves, grizzly bears, mental health, fly fishing, rodeos, meth, train stations, 70 year cowboys shagging 24 year old cowgirls, and branding people with branding irons in a blender.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: June 01, 2021, 12:06:28 PM »
Mare is the best HBO show since Succession last aired. Winslet is so good, and the storytelling is superb.
Wow, I am in the vast minority here.  Winslet is solid, but really is just being monotone depressed and applying an over the top Pennsylvania accent (as does every character in the show).  I found the storytelling weak and predictable.  I called pretty much every plot twist because they foreshadow it like those old video games (like Legend of Zelda or Pajama Sam if you had a little kid 20 years ago) where you find something shortly before you are going to need it. 

I though Jean Smart was the best thing about it.

No matter where anyone goes, they run into people they need to talk to and get information just before they need it.  Pretty much every character behaves in completely unrealistic ways and pretty much react to every situation in ways that no one would actually behave, to further the plot.

For instance, if your son attacked a student who was throwing food at his mentally challenged sister, perhaps the first question you would ask him wouldn't be "Is your father having an affair?  Is that why you are upset?"  Just one of a hundred examples.

My wife loved it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: June 01, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
I don't like guns, violence, cowboys and Indians, corporate greed, politics, wolves, grizzly bears, mental health, fly fishing, rodeos, meth, train stations, 70 year cowboys shagging 24 year old cowgirls, and branding people with branding irons in a blender.

That pretty much limits you to Sponge Bob and re-runs of Julia Child on PBS. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: June 01, 2021, 01:30:47 PM »
Wow, I am in the vast minority here.  Winslet is solid, but really is just being monotone depressed and applying an over the top Pennsylvania accent (as does every character in the show).  I found the storytelling weak and predictable.  I called pretty much every plot twist because they foreshadow it like those old video games (like Legend of Zelda or Pajama Sam if you had a little kid 20 years ago) where you find something shortly before you are going to need it. 

I though Jean Smart was the best thing about it.

No matter where anyone goes, they run into people they need to talk to and get information just before they need it.  Pretty much every character behaves in completely unrealistic ways and pretty much react to every situation in ways that no one would actually behave, to further the plot.

For instance, if your son attacked a student who was throwing food at his mentally challenged sister, perhaps the first question you would ask him wouldn't be "Is your father having an affair?  Is that why you are upset?"  Just one of a hundred examples.

My wife loved it.

You’re allowed to be wrong. And your wife sounds highly intelligent!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1504 on: June 01, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »

If you like guns, sex, violence, cowboys and Indians, corporate greed, politics, wolves, grizzly bears, alcohol, mental health, fly fishing, rodeos, meth, train stations, 70 year cowboys shagging 24 year old cowgirls, and branding people with branding irons in a blender, this is the show for you.

damn!  my wife was trying to get me into yellowstone... can't wait to check this bad boy out! but, i've been trying to stay away from that meth stuff :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1505 on: June 01, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »
Sorry to inject more Mare conversation but ..

I did not understand the subplot with Billy and John.  I had to go back and re-watch it, it just didn't make any sense.   John gets Billy to say out loud, "I killed her" with cathartic crying when clearly he didn't kill her.   It's pretty convoluted that an uncle was going to take the wrap for his nephew, instead of his father.

Then there's the whole gun in the fishing box, like John was going to kill Billy *before* he confessed to the crime?    That's gonna help how? 

I liked how they wrapped up loose ends, but that whole plot was goofy.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1506 on: June 01, 2021, 09:58:14 PM »
The Denzel Magnificent 7 remake?

Better flick:  The Seven Samurai or the Magnificent Seven?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1507 on: June 01, 2021, 10:47:16 PM »
Sorry to inject more Mare conversation but ..

I did not understand the subplot with Billy and John.  I had to go back and re-watch it, it just didn't make any sense.   John gets Billy to say out loud, "I killed her" with cathartic crying when clearly he didn't kill her.   It's pretty convoluted that an uncle was going to take the wrap for his nephew, instead of his father.

Then there's the whole gun in the fishing box, like John was going to kill Billy *before* he confessed to the crime?    That's gonna help how? 

I liked how they wrapped up loose ends, but that whole plot was goofy.

I thought it made perfect sense.  John has kids, a family to raise.  Billy was kind of an f-up who had nothing.  And John was able to manipulate that into having him “help” protect Kevin because he had less to lose

They already had the Billy in bloody clothes circumstantial piece so I think John was banking on that being enough with playing it up to Billy’s guilt caused him to kill himself.  He was worried Billy would crack and tell the true story instead of his confession.  He was losing his brother either way, at least this way he could control the story

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1508 on: June 01, 2021, 11:07:58 PM »
That pretty much limits you to Sponge Bob and re-runs of Julia Child on PBS.

Well, there were a couple things in there that I didn't say I disliked.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1509 on: June 02, 2021, 08:36:26 AM »
I thought it made perfect sense.  John has kids, a family to raise.  Billy was kind of an f-up who had nothing.  And John was able to manipulate that into having him “help” protect Kevin because he had less to lose

They already had the Billy in bloody clothes circumstantial piece so I think John was banking on that being enough with playing it up to Billy’s guilt caused him to kill himself.  He was worried Billy would crack and tell the true story instead of his confession.  He was losing his brother either way, at least this way he could control the story

Yeah, that's absolutely how you tie the knot.  But 100% of that is just implied, and thinly at that.  You're left with "why is that happening?  Ohhh, a bunch of stuff is unsaid and if you take some guesses I guess it makes sense."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1510 on: June 02, 2021, 09:26:25 AM »
Yeah, that's absolutely how you tie the knot.  But 100% of that is just implied, and thinly at that.  You're left with "why is that happening?  Ohhh, a bunch of stuff is unsaid and if you take some guesses I guess it makes sense."

SPOILER ALERT!
Of course it doesn't make sense,  Sure, I'll go to jail for you because you impregnated your high school aged cousin after having affairs in the past to the point where your wife has thrown you out of the house.  Oh, you want to shoot me instead to make sure I don't tell the truth?  That's cool. 

There is a ton of stuff just thrown in to add suspects and move the plot along.  Why would the deacon pick Erin up in one remote location and drop her off in another in the middle of the night and keep her bicycle?  Why would Frank not tell her the dead girl was having trouble and he helped her by buying some supplies for the baby when she first asked him about her?  No reason for either other than so each of them could be a suspect for a little while.  Why do the writer and the young detective have romantic feelings for Mare, despite her doing her very best to be off-putting and shlubby and unkind to them when they meet?  To give her a love interest to move the plot along. 

Why does the John Ross tell Lori everything and then say, "now don't you tell Mare who you tell everything to always?"  Why not say nothing so she honestly doesn't know what is going on?  Why does he buy Erin a pendant and freakin' date it so she has proof of their infidelity?  Why does the jeweler just have Ross as the customer with no first name of phone number on the receipt?

The kid takes the gun around midnight and returns it a few hours later and the old guy Glen happens to go out to the shed and notice it is gone the one time in 10 years it has been there?  And he doesn't mention it to Mare until right after she realizes the dad didn't know what gun was used?  Why do the police just let her slide for planting evidence and then take her back after doing explicitly what she was told not to do if she wanted to get back on the force and getting a partner killed in the process?  Why did they let a guy who they strongly suspected was a rapist/murderer casually walk back unattended to get his gun?  Why could the trapped girls hear them talking downstairs but they couldn't be heard if they screamed?  All of it just to move the plot along. 

The whole thing is lazy story telling right out of a Monk episode or something. 

I guess we're willing to overlook a lot if the performances are good, which they are.

Oh, and why is there never sunshine in Easttown?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1511 on: June 02, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »
Just watched Unbelievable on Netflix. Excellent show, though it's quite the emotional journey and definitely deserves trigger warnings for anyone that has suffered sexual violence. Very well acted, well presented, and worth the time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1512 on: June 02, 2021, 10:19:08 AM »
Just watched Unbelievable on Netflix. Excellent show, though it's quite the emotional journey and definitely deserves trigger warnings for anyone that has suffered sexual violence. Very well acted, well presented, and worth the time.

Yeah, that was tough to watch but good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: June 02, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »
The Denzel Magnificent 7 remake?

Better flick:  The Seven Samurai or the Magnificent Seven?

The 7, anything by Kurosawa. Always have been amazed at the Japanese film industry just post-war.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1514 on: June 02, 2021, 10:56:23 AM »

Kaitlin Dever is a good actress. When she was a teenager, she was excellent as Loretta in Justified. Very good in the movie Booksmart, too.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1515 on: June 02, 2021, 10:58:04 AM »
SPOILER ALERT!
Of course it doesn't make sense...

Well done!  I'd forgotten half of those plot holes.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: June 02, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »
Well done!  I'd forgotten half of those plot holes.

I could keep going, there are lots more.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1517 on: June 02, 2021, 02:39:09 PM »
I could keep going, there are lots more.

I thought Mare was such a good, well-acted show that this kind of stuff just didn't bother me.

While watching with my wife, I did comment about how convenient it was that Mare came to know about the old guy's gun and who had it. I also thought it was way too easy for Mare to subdue Ross in the river. A couple other things over the course of the 7 episodes, too.

But stuff like that happens in most shows to advance the plots. I might notice them, but they rarely detract from the show if I'm otherwise enjoying it.

I could pick a few nits at a few of your gripes, but it's not worth it. Sorry you didn't like a fine show. Glad Mrs. CTW did!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1518 on: June 04, 2021, 03:34:11 PM »
Just finished 4th season of Snowfall on HULU.

This is a great show - probably in my top 10 all-time. Follows the rise of the crack epidemic in LA and the CIA funding for the Contras. John Singleton is a great storyteller. If you liked Boyz N the Hood or Narcos, this is even better.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1519 on: June 06, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »
If you have a few minutes (literally) I strongly recommend "Us Again" on Disney+. It is a 6-minute animated short that ran before Raya and the Last Dragon in theaters and is absolutely delightful. An adorable little musical, dance number that's really fun to watch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: June 06, 2021, 01:29:13 PM »

This reminded me that I’d been meaning to watch it.

Blew threw about 1.5 seasons in the last week and change.  It’s really great.

I mentioned to my friend who recommended it to me, it’s more like Succession taking place in wealthy ranching Montana than a Western.  I also appreciate the fact that it’s kind of a new idea in terms of plot.  Cant remember something else like it.

It also has a couple of actors in their sweet spot.  Costner as a rough around the edges protagonist of sorts.  Danny Huston was made to play a rich A**hole villain. Cole Hauser is at his best in gritty roles.  Josh Lucas, Gil Birmingham, and Luke Grimes are spot on too.  Great casting

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1521 on: June 06, 2021, 02:00:04 PM »
This reminded me that I’d been meaning to watch it.

Blew threw about 1.5 seasons in the last week and change.  It’s really great.

I mentioned to my friend who recommended it to me, it’s more like Succession taking place in wealthy ranching Montana than a Western.  I also appreciate the fact that it’s kind of a new idea in terms of plot.  Cant remember something else like it.

It also has a couple of actors in their sweet spot.  Costner as a rough around the edges protagonist of sorts.  Danny Huston was made to play a rich A**hole villain. Cole Hauser is at his best in gritty roles.  Josh Lucas, Gil Birmingham, and Luke Grimes are spot on too.  Great casting

In a blender.

Watching Goliath this weekend.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #1522 on: June 06, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »
If you have a few minutes (literally) I strongly recommend "Us Again" on Disney+. It is a 6-minute animated short that ran before Raya and the Last Dragon in theaters and is absolutely delightful. An adorable little musical, dance number that's really fun to watch.

I always liked the Disney shorts. They can create an emotionally compelling story with relatability and humor, often without any dialogue, in just a couple minutes. Really creative stuff
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1523 on: June 06, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
In a blender.

Watching Goliath this weekend.
First Season was phenomenal.

Got progressively worse as the series went on.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1524 on: June 06, 2021, 07:28:33 PM »
First Season was phenomenal.

Got progressively worse as the series went on.

I agree.

feedback