[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214762 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1200 on: February 13, 2021, 01:22:14 AM »
Just finished Lupin.  Absolutely fantastic.  Also, if you watch, please don’t watch dubbed, it takes away from the viewing so much.  Cant wait for the second half later this year.

Felt very much like Sherlock to me, in terms of feel, filming, and tone, which is a great compliment cause that’s one of my absolute favorite pieces of modern TV.

One minor quibble, I’ve watched ALOT of Spanish TV on Netflix.  Money Heist, Unauthorized Living, Monarca, Narcos...I’m formerly fluent, but still can pick up most.  And while nowhere near that in French, between the romance similarities and lots of time in Belgium, I know a good amount of phrases and such.  The subtitled translation is TERRIBLE.  I don’t know if it’s just a Netflix thing or what, but multiple times I stopped it to tell my GF what they really meant to say.  It doesn’t take away from the overall plot or dialogue, but nuances are def lost

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: February 16, 2021, 07:58:58 PM »
Judas and the Black Messiah.

I hope the 3 leads enjoy their Oscar nominations.  Great film, go watch it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: February 16, 2021, 08:20:26 PM »

Looks really good. Will have to check it out this weekend.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: February 16, 2021, 09:27:30 PM »

Sadly, I think only Kaluuya is getting one. But hes probably gonna win it as well.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: February 17, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »

This was outstanding. I was surprised to see only Kaluuya was nominated for the Golden Globe.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: February 17, 2021, 03:03:43 PM »
Rewatching a bunch of old Survivor seasons. Some of it has not aged well but forgot how much fun the show used to be.

Watched religiously every week from seasons 1-20.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: February 17, 2021, 03:15:01 PM »
Rewatching a bunch of old Survivor seasons. Some of it has not aged well but forgot how much fun the show used to be.

Coincidentally enough, when I got home from work yesterday, my wife and daughter were watching Blood vs. Water (S27). It's a pretty good season that apparently occurred during the period when I had stopped watching. I don't "know" who wins, but I do know one player who was on the recent Winners at War season is on it and commented that he had never won...so I suspect I might know.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1207 on: February 17, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »

It has been until recently the gold standard for reality competition shows. Why would you stop watching at S20? I mean i get it that next few were a bit of a drag, but it's still better than 90% of what's out there. Probably still my favorite TV show.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: February 17, 2021, 04:06:02 PM »
It has been until recently the gold standard for reality competition shows. Why would you stop watching at S20? I mean i get it that next few were a bit of a drag, but it's still better than 90% of what's out there. Probably still my favorite TV show.

More of a timing thing than anything. Think Heroes vs. Villains was my senior year of high school or just before?

Didn’t watch hardly any network television through college/grad school. Picked Surviovr back up again during season 36.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: February 17, 2021, 04:14:40 PM »
Just started Gangs of London.  British show picked up by AMC.  Originally noticed it cause Joe Cole, John Shelby from Peaky Blinders is a lead.  Stacked cast.  Colm Meaney, Michelle Fairley (Cat Stark from GOT), and a couple other notable British actors you’d recognize.

Covers the interplay of a various organized crime families in modern day London.  The cinematography is BREATHTAKING.  The opening shot/scene is incredibly intense and impressive.  I’m through the double episode (1&2) that started it out.  It’s fairly violent, but it’s shot so well that it doesn’t come off grotesque.  There have been 2 fight scenes that are probably the most impressive I’ve seen outside of a movie, including the camera work, choreography, and pacing,  very British in feel (like a classic caper film) but gorgeously done.  I’m hooked

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: February 17, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »
Just started Gangs of London.  British show picked up by AMC.  Originally noticed it cause Joe Cole, John Shelby from Peaky Blinders is a lead.  Stacked cast.  Colm Meaney, Michelle Fairley (Cat Stark from GOT), and a couple other notable British actors you’d recognize.

Covers the interplay of a various organized crime families in modern day London.  The cinematography is BREATHTAKING.  The opening shot/scene is incredibly intense and impressive.  I’m through the double episode (1&2) that started it out.  It’s fairly violent, but it’s shot so well that it doesn’t come off grotesque.  There have been 2 fight scenes that are probably the most impressive I’ve seen outside of a movie, including the camera work, choreography, and pacing,  very British in feel (like a classic caper film) but gorgeously done.  I’m hooked

Curious what you'll think at the end. Check back in when finished. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: February 17, 2021, 06:09:39 PM »

I still love it as well.

Seasons 31,33,37 and 40 are excellent within the last 10.

And 30 is a beautiful trainwreck of a group.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: February 17, 2021, 10:06:47 PM »
I still love it as well.

Wait ... there have been 40 seasons of Survivor?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: February 18, 2021, 10:56:53 PM »
We’re now in Season 4 of The Crown. It has gotten much spicier, with many “Oh no he (or she) didn’t” moments.

So far, Charles really comes off as part clod and part d-bag, and it’s hard to imagine anybody more sympathetic than Diana.

Good stuff!

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: February 19, 2021, 08:30:29 AM »
Wait ... there have been 40 seasons of Survivor?

Yup. Up until Covid they did (outside of the first couple) 2 seasons a year. Still wins it time slot. It's sort like the Springsteen or Pearl Jam of shows. Fan base isn't growing much but there is a very devoted and engaged group that love it.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: February 19, 2021, 08:32:56 AM »
More of a timing thing than anything. Think Heroes vs. Villains was my senior year of high school or just before?

Didn’t watch hardly any network television through college/grad school. Picked Surviovr back up again during season 36.

That makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:35:21 AM by Chili »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: February 19, 2021, 08:34:59 AM »
I still love it as well.

Agree on all of that. I have heard the rewatch of 37 while knowing the outcome makes you enjoy it much more. I may have to do that soon if this 3' of snow doesn't melt. I heard they are just about to start filming again here soon so it should be back this fall.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: February 19, 2021, 12:52:53 PM »
Agree on all of that. I have heard the rewatch of 37 while knowing the outcome makes you enjoy it much more. I may have to do that soon if this 3' of snow doesn't melt. I heard they are just about to start filming again here soon so it should be back this fall.

Yeah 37 is very rewatchable. Similar to the other ones I mentioned.

A key to seasons like 37 and 33(or really any good season that doesnt have returning players) is a diverse cast in my opinion.

37 separating them by life status and 33 doing it more by age.

Seasons get bland when its a bunch of 20 something model types that were clearly recruited.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: February 19, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »
Yup. Up until Covid they did (outside of the first couple) 2 seasons a year. Still wins it time slot. It's sort like the Springsteen or Pearl Jam of shows. Fan base isn't growing much but there is a very devoted and engaged group that love it.

Wow ... that's amazing.

Enjoy!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: February 19, 2021, 03:47:06 PM »
It seems to me that Survivor is tailor made for production in a COVID bubble.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: February 19, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
It seems to me that Survivor is tailor made for production in a COVID bubble.

Over the last 10 seasons or so they have been strictly in Fiji and the days of filming all over the world are over. The deal in fiji is so good they refuse to go anywhere else.

Fiji as a country refused to let anyone in, so filming hasnt had a chance.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: February 20, 2021, 11:08:56 PM »
Just watched Nomadland.

As usual, Frances McDormand was brilliant. And the concept was unique and interesting.

But for those who like action films, this ain't your flick. It is a nice, quiet, beautifully filmed, reflective portrait of one person in particular and a group of people in general. Well worth watching, but I recommend not being tired when you watch it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1222 on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:15 AM »
Finally got around to Ted Lasso. Wow, what a charming, endearing, delightful show. Truly a joyful experience.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1223 on: February 21, 2021, 12:26:41 PM »
Just watched Nomadland.

As usual, Frances McDormand was brilliant. And the concept was unique and interesting.

But for those who like action films, this ain't your flick. It is a nice, quiet, beautifully filmed, reflective portrait of one person in particular and a group of people in general. Well worth watching, but I recommend not being tired when you watch it.

I agree completely, Mike.

I was going to post about the movie today. You stole part of my thunder, though. I was going to say if you enjoyed Fast & Furious or superhero movies, you probably shouldn't bother with Nomadland.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: February 21, 2021, 01:08:54 PM »
Finally got around to Ted Lasso. Wow, what a charming, endearing, delightful show. Truly a joyful experience.

My wife and I finished it last night - final three episodes. We agree completely with your assessment.