[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214893 times)

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #700 on: August 23, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
Watched on Netflix last night:

“Inequality for all”.   
A 2013 documentary by Robert Reich ( former Secretary of Labor )

Based on a class he taught at UC- Berkeley
Traces the rise and struggles of the middle class from early 1900’s to present

Interesting to trace my own family’s middle class life experiences through this timeline.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #701 on: September 04, 2020, 10:18:55 AM »
I may also put this in the Futbol thread.

NBC pushing some high profile Premier League Soccer games to its Peacock subscription.

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1301900283715387393?s=19

CBS All Access had some of the UEFA Champions League.

PGA Championship golf, some was on ESPN plus, as are a few of the U S. open Matches. (Most are ESPN App)

And it's not limited to sports. Adding so many of these adds up fast. Unlees one wants to pay for everything, it requires having to pay attention to so many different pay streams abd outlets frequently.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #702 on: September 04, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
Really annoying.  I really think these networks are going for short term profit at the expense of long term audience development.  IMO, EPL soccer is still too new to the American market to do this and expect long-term audience growth.

I guess I'll just turn on NFL pre-game instead.  Won't be the only one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #703 on: September 04, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »
Really annoying.  I really think these networks are going for short term profit at the expense of long term audience development.  IMO, EPL soccer is still too new to the American market to do this and expect long-term audience growth.

I guess I'll just turn on NFL pre-game instead.  Won't be the only one.

I wont go as far as you, and thankfully there will still be EPL on NBC/NBCSports, but man what a change in a few years.  When they got the rights, you could open the app on a Sat and jump around matches and it was AWESOME.  Then came NBCSports Gold. And now this.  Its a great way to turn off casual viewers which they need.

Don't get me started on the Champions League.  I didn't love when TNT had the coverage last year, but it was still workable.  Now this year, you have the biggest and most storied competition in world club soccer and you put it behind a pay wall?  Give me a damn break.  I can see it during the group stages, but as you got into the knockouts, especially into the quarters/semis, it was an absolute farce that soured CBS for me.  I didn't even remotely consider adding CBS All Access, I just went for an "illegal" stream like I would if I wanted to watch a random European club match that wasn't on TV here.

In a positive soccer note, Ted Lasso on Apple+ is FANTASTIC.  It has no business being as good as it was, and I was worried it would be overly cheesy.  And it kind of is, but Sudeikis is so good, some of the soccer stereotypes and jokes are so spot on, and they manage to execute the "American confused abroad in the UK" tropes very well.  Bummed there were only 5 episodes, but excited for the 6th tonight and can't wait for season 2.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #704 on: September 04, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
I've been "working" on two things lately:  Game of Thrones and The Office.

I'd never seen GOT before, but always wanted to. I think it's fantastic. I just finished S2 last night.  I watched The Office when it first came out, but in "re-watching" it I realize that I missed a lot of episodes. It is so well written and acted. I'm just about at the end of S3.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #705 on: September 04, 2020, 02:08:41 PM »
The Boys is back on Prime today.

S1 was a very pleasant surprise for me. I laughed a lot, hysterically on a few scenes. Plus, it's simply a great idea for a series -- very original, which is saying something in this day and age.

Here's hoping S2 is as entertaining.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #706 on: September 04, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
I've been "working" on two things lately:  Game of Thrones and The Office.

I'd never seen GOT before, but always wanted to. I think it's fantastic. I just finished S2 last night.  I watched The Office when it first came out, but in "re-watching" it I realize that I missed a lot of episodes. It is so well written and acted. I'm just about at the end of S3.

Two shows that start out great and then fall apart... maybe you should go for the trifecta and watch Dexter afterwards!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #707 on: September 04, 2020, 04:07:05 PM »
Two shows that start out great and then fall apart... maybe you should go for the trifecta and watch Dexter afterwards!

I watched Dexter years ago and lost interest after a couple seasons.

For the record, I think "shows that start out great and then fall apart" is actually the rule...at least for shows that start out great. I think starting and great and maintaining (or improving) is the exception.

Of course, the true rule is most shows start out somewhere between crappy and okay and then fall apart.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #708 on: September 04, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »

For the record, I think "shows that start out great and then fall apart" is actually the rule...at least for shows that start out great. I think starting and great and maintaining (or improving) is the exception.

Of course, the true rule is most shows start out somewhere between crappy and okay and then fall apart.

Spot on

MU82

• All American
« Reply #709 on: September 04, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »

If you didn’t watch Season 4 of Dexter, you missed some great television, featuring an amazing performance by John Lithgow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #710 on: September 04, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »
A friend of mine recommended "Take the Ball, Pass the Ball" documentary about Pep Guardiola's Barcelona, and Messi.

I believe it is on both Netflix and Amazon Prime. Hope to watch it soon.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #711 on: September 06, 2020, 07:28:01 PM »
If you didn’t watch Season 4 of Dexter, you missed some great television, featuring an amazing performance by John Lithgow.

Season 4 was the high point of Dexter, but that and Season 1 were the only seasons I loved. It was all downhill after that.

Started S2 of The Boys today. Really fun show, if you like the dark, brutal side of superheroes.

Also would recommend The Sinner. I watched the second season first, but they are contained seasons so it won't have any adverse affect. Very well acted show. Worth streaming on Netflix.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #712 on: September 06, 2020, 09:10:47 PM »
Cobra Kai. Netflix. Don’t judge me.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #713 on: September 06, 2020, 09:24:51 PM »

Good stuff. Acting was wayyyyyy better than I anticipated considering how little most of those guys do these days.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #714 on: September 06, 2020, 09:47:32 PM »

It's at the top of my list. I have heard very good things.

The original film is one of my all time favorites. (The high school soccer tryouts scene amid the haunting sounds of Bananarama's "Cruel Summer" gets me every time.)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #715 on: September 07, 2020, 06:47:23 AM »

It's really fun. Some of the acting is pretty marginal, but it's nice to see a show that finally focuses on the true Karate Kid, Johnny Lawrence.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #716 on: September 07, 2020, 06:07:19 PM »
Probably watching a Princess Bride table reading.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #717 on: September 07, 2020, 06:46:43 PM »

I wont go as far as you, and thankfully there will still be EPL on NBC/NBCSports, but man what a change in a few years.  When they got the rights, you could open the app on a Sat and jump around matches and it was AWESOME.  Then came NBCSports Gold. And now this.  Its a great way to turn off casual viewers which they need.

Agreed on EPL. Still too early to start going for short term profit over viewership.

——————-

My current binge-watching has been The X Files and United States of Tara on Hulu.

I realize I may be the last person in America to watch The X Files, and I only started because I liked Duchovny’s performance in Californication. I’m glad I did - I am generally not a sci-fi person, but I really enjoy the series.

United States of Tara is pretty interesting as well. Both funny and sad, with good performances by Toni Colette and John Corbett.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #718 on: September 07, 2020, 07:53:24 PM »

OMG, I read that and just finished burning through S01.   Awesome.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #719 on: September 07, 2020, 08:03:02 PM »
Watching “Rake” (Australia). Very funny. Deeply flawed but kind of lovable protagonist. Halfway through season 2 I give it a thumbs up.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #720 on: September 07, 2020, 10:54:33 PM »
Watched 1st three episodes of The Vow on HBO. Fascinating.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #721 on: September 08, 2020, 09:21:18 AM »
Halfway through (the released episodes) All or Nothing: Spurs.  Really well done, makes me dislike Jose a little less, makes me dislike Levy even more.  Understand why it was done, but still think Poch was given a raw deal.  Wish more info would have been shared about it, but again, understand why it was done the way it was.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #722 on: September 08, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
Rewatched season 1 of American Vandal, and still the some of the funniest stuff I have seen all year, even the 2nd time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #723 on: September 08, 2020, 12:31:34 PM »
Rewatched season 1 of American Vandal, and still the some of the funniest stuff I have seen all year, even the 2nd time.

It's fantastic, a very well done piece of television.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:35:32 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #724 on: September 08, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
We just finished Hannibal. It was gross, but very good. Better than the movies.

feedback