[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Remember when the Wojo defenders asked if we'd rather have the DePaul program?  (Read 31199 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
You know the last time Marquette had consecutive seasons with a sub-.300 winning percentage?

Never. Not once in 103 seasons. It has only happened in a single season 3 times, and not since 1963-64.

I think I'll take our program going forward.
But that's clearly no longer the state of their program.  They'd have to go about 7-16 to go .500 this year.  Or even worse 1-22 to go .300 as you mention.  That's not going to happen so if they even put together a decent Big East year, the program objectively had a good year.  Which would build on a .500+ season last year.  This is the point I'm making.

All with the same number of NCAAT wins as MU in that timeframe.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
is at the least questionable

You're the only one questioning it.  And it's a stupid question.  Unlike someone may have told you.  There are such things as stoopid questions.

By every statistical measure, Marquette is a better program than DePaul so far this year.  Way better.  After today's games...

Marquette #30 kenpom
DePaul #51 kenpom

Marquette #37 t-rank
DePaul #71 t-rank

DePaul's collection of NC wins >>>> MU's collection of NC wins (I strongly doubt we'd be 9-0 with their schedule)

Yeah...wrong.  See above.

Eldon

• All American
I mean people want to talk about trajectory.  Maybe it's time to seriously look at their trajectory.  Winning percentages:

1.  .290
2.  .281
3.  .528
4.  1.000 (obviously won't last but let's pretend that ends somewhere around .650)

Can we really say our program has done a better job rebuilding itself than even the lowly DePaul program?

I'm more than happy to let the year play out, but if DePaul has a great year and we don't Wojo is going to start running out of all excuses (if he hasn't already).

DePaul's potential success is completely irrelevant to judge MU's rebuild.

Hausergate bought Wojo a mulligan this year. And Garcia bought him two more (to see him as an upperclassman).

forgetful

• All American
Right now Depaul's NET rating is 102, Marquette's is 28.

I'll take the 28.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
DePaul's potential success is completely irrelevant to judge MU's rebuild.

Hausergate bought Wojo a mulligan this year. And Garcia bought him two more (to see him as an upperclassman).
So we shall decide once and for all on Wojo come 2025.  That is all.  Motion to adjourn.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Right now Depaul's NET rating is 102, Marquette's is 28.

I'll take the 28.

I think you're looking at last years numbers.  NET not being updated yet.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
I think you're looking at last years numbers.  NET not being updated yet.
+1 thank you for being objective

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
+1 thank you for being objective

His point still remains valid.. In case you missed it:

By every statistical measure, Marquette is a better program than DePaul so far this year.  Way better.  After today's games...

Marquette #30 kenpom
DePaul #51 kenpom

Marquette #37 t-rank
DePaul #71 t-rank

MU82

• All American
Whether our program is better than DePaul's moving forward is at the least questionable and that is a major problem.

I remember my first beer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

5DollarPitcher

• All American
His point still remains valid.. In case you missed it:
Yes, I will concede that.  According to KenPom's algorithms DePaul is not ranked higher at this point in time.  But the gap is not wide like many here would have you believe.  Nor is the gap an assured reality as there is much to be spoken for during Big East play. 

Further, if the same argument was flipped for say - Butler or Xavier with MU being a mathematically inferior team, I would be told that "trajectory" is the best way to measure our program.

Ergo, I'm pointing out a situation where trajectory can be flipped to the other side of the argument.

wadesworld

• All American
Yes, I will concede that.  According to KenPom's algorithms DePaul is not ranked higher at this point in time.  But the gap is not wide like many here would have you believe.  Nor is the gap an assured reality as there is much to be spoken for during Big East play. 

Further, if the same argument was flipped for say - Butler or Xavier with MU being a mathematically inferior team, I would be told that "trajectory" is the best way to measure our program.

Ergo, I'm pointing out a situation where trajectory can be flipped to the other side of the argument.

Ergo your point was stupid and only an idiot would trade Marquette’s program for DePaul’s program.

Wait nevermind. The issue is Wojo hasn’t won in March. Been 7 years (since we know we aren’t better than Xavier or Butler so this year we just get 0 Tourney wins). DePaul’s been racking up those NCAA Tournament wins the last 7 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Ergo your point was stupid and only an idiot would trade Marquette’s program for DePaul’s program.

Wait nevermind. The issue is Wojo hasn’t won in March. Been 7 years (since we know we aren’t better than Xavier or Butler so this year we just get 0 Tourney wins). DePaul’s been racking up those NCAA Tournament wins the last 7 years.
Racking them up at the same rate as MU.  I didn't say I'm trading the program today.  I'm just saying, given the trajectory they're showing, it's at least questionable.

BM1090

• All American
I don't care about the students rushing or not rushing.  That has nothing to do with the fact that, this year, the basketball team is 9-0 with far more quality wins than our own.  Even though we started ahead of them in 2014.

Obviously let the year play out, but DePaul is currently putting together a better season than Marquette - fact.

**Edit:  Same amount of NCAA wins in that timeframe as well.

Far more quality wins?

Our top 3 wins according to Kenpom are against teams ranked 5, 59, and 85

DePaul has wins against 28, 39, and 66.

The only reason they are undefeated is because they havent played another top 100 team while we've played 2 additional away from home.

I'm happy for DePaul and maybe they are legit. I hope they are. But their resume is maybe slightly better than ours currently. A win over @KSU and that would mean we have more quad 1 and 2 wins than them

MU82

• All American
Most folks think the world is round.

Kyrie Irving says it's flat.

So hey ... it's at least questionable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
Racking them up at the same rate as MU.  I didn't say I'm trading the program today.  I'm just saying, given the trajectory they're showing, it's at least questionable.

No, it's not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
I mean people want to talk about trajectory.  Maybe it's time to seriously look at their trajectory.  Winning percentages:

1.  .290
2.  .281
3.  .528
4.  1.000 (obviously won't last but let's pretend that ends somewhere around .650)

Can we really say our program has done a better job rebuilding itself than even the lowly DePaul program?

I'm more than happy to let the year play out, but if DePaul has a great year and we don't Wojo is going to start running out of all excuses (if he hasn't already).

This is real barstool numbers crunching. TAMU and Brew you will never be.
There are holes in your Pitcher.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Galway Eagle

• All American

1.  .290
2.  .281
3.  .528

Don't go into analytics... of any kind
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Depaul is doing well this season and Coach Leitao seems to have them on the right track.

Marquette is a better program than DePaul by any measure.

Both of these statements are true.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Well..... I might rather have the DePaul program right now.

You do realize it’s just the first week of December, right?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Yeah I'd love to have a program that's so bad the students rush the floor after a nonconference OT win over an unranked team. A program on its first 9 game win streak in nearly 30 years.

Go away.

You’re so full of it. Students don’t go to DePaul games.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

1SE

• All American
This is a silly topic but this is a BS fan message board - give the guy a break - at least he’s not talking about the Hausers.

IF DePaul ends up with a similar season result to MU this could be an interesting thread. But I would say that’s a pretty big IF.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Well..... I might rather have the DePaul program right now.

Go root for them then. You won’t be missed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
I'll take Marquette, no question.

OP's point isn't any more ridiculous than looking for parallels between Wojo and Coach K or Jay Wright though.

tower912

• All American
Congratulations to DePaul for their first 9 game winning streak in 30 years.   If they make it to 23-4 at some point, I will be even more impressed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I'll take Marquette, no question.

OP's point isn't any more ridiculous than looking for parallels between Wojo and Coach K or Jay Wright though.

So actual comparisons of those coaches over their first 5 to 10 years, in some cases, is the same as looking at three weeks of results in a basketball season?

I beg to differ. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback