[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Georgetown Hiroshima  (Read 39992 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Akinjo transferring
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
It's like these guys never learn.  So this comes to the attention of Ewing in the time immediately after the incidents in question and he takes no action to protect the integrity of the program and university overall while the investigation unfolds.  Rather, it appears he may have tried to completely rugsweep it. 

Just yesterday the news here in Chicago was Mayor Lightfoot firing Eddie Johnson's arse in disgrace when what he shoulda done was admit to 'one too many glasses of wine' and 'taking my DUI like a man' two months ago.  Chicago cop and cover-up can't be in the same sentence after the history here the last few years. 

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
All the Nojos and Sosojos (myself included) out there must admit that the fact that there hasn't been a wiff of this kind behavior/culture under his tenure is worth a lot. Although I also don't think NCAA success and clean programmes with quality kids need be mutually exclusive.

This.

Wojo is running a program most of us can be damn proud of. In relatively short order, I’m confident he will be running one that ALL of us can be proud of.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

fjm

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2019, 09:52:47 AM »
This.

Wojo is running a program most of us can be damn proud of. In relatively short order, I’m confident he will be running one that ALL of us can be proud of.

Yup

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2019, 10:19:07 AM »
Yeah, no mention of Akinjo.  Probably got wind of other players besides his buddy Leblanc in trouble and is getting out before the next hammer falls.
Akinjo led the team in minutes played, scoring, assists and completely dominated the ball. The team was built around him, why would he get now and not just finish season.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
Can it get worse? It can.

Laura Wagner @laurawags
Two Metro PD incident reports corresponding to the police report numbers included in a restraining order request against Josh LeBlanc. This incident report named four stolen items and alleged a suspect made this threat: "If you tell anyone we'll send people after you."
This incident report said, "complainant reported the suspect showing her his erect clothed penis."

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2019, 10:27:38 AM »
Really poorly handled by Georgetown. Sam Vecenie is reporting the two transfers are not linked. Akinjo just wanted to leave, but by bundling the release and letting it get out that both were kicked off the team, Akinjo got tied into Leblanc's actions. That's a really bad look.

EDIT: Worse look, crimes committed in September, restraining orders issued November 5, all the players involved played Saturday. That's bad for Ewing.

A sexual assault survivor & activist on Twitter said she worked with Georgetown on these types of issues in August and had special sessions with the athletics department. If the staff was advised how to handle these situations 3 months ago, hard to see how they will survive this.

In situations like this do they take time for due process?     I'm not suggesting it, I really don't know.    There could be enough evidence for an investigation and restraining order, but they could ultimately be found innocent... so if you sat them, that'd be punishing someone who didn't deserve it.  On the other hand, if there's enough for the restraining order, that is probably enough to initiate action.   

Not saying this applies here, just laying out my thoughts on the delay.  Still not enough information out to damn a program from what I see... but it could certainly end up being that way later.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2019, 10:31:34 AM »
In situations like this do they take time for due process?     I'm not suggesting it, I really don't know.    There could be enough evidence for an investigation and restraining order, but they could ultimately be found innocent... so if you sat them, that'd be punishing someone who didn't deserve it.  On the other hand, if there's enough for the restraining order, that is probably enough to initiate action.   

Not saying this applies here, just laying out my thoughts on the delay.  Still not enough information out to damn a program from what I see... but it could certainly end up being that way later.

Another reason for the delay could be that Georgetown went through its student judicial process, which has different standards than a legal one.  IOW, while they could be considered not guilty by a court of law, they still could be in violation of Georgetown's code of conduct.

And as part of that process, the accused has rights.  Ewing and the athletic department may not have any choice but to keep him on the team.  Schools can get in trouble if a coach shortcuts the process.

But once the process has been followed, they have to live with the results.  He may have been barred from campus.  This could also be the reason why LeBlanc is leaving but the others are staying.

It's generally good to have athletics shielded from the code of conduct process.  That's where Cottingham and Buzz got into trouble.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:35:33 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »
Can it get worse? It can.

Laura Wagner @laurawags
Two Metro PD incident reports corresponding to the police report numbers included in a restraining order request against Josh LeBlanc. This incident report named four stolen items and alleged a suspect made this threat: "If you tell anyone we'll send people after you."
This incident report said, "complainant reported the suspect showing her his erect clothed penis."

“Clothed”? Gangsta my ass!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2019, 11:14:51 AM »
Akinjo led the team in minutes played, scoring, assists and completely dominated the ball. The team was built around him, why would he get now and not just finish season.

(if he's not involved in the whole mess) he probably saw the writing on the wall, wanted to get out now, get to another school and use what is going on in a waiver request now instead of having to wait through the summer.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
Adam Zagoria deleted a tweet that said Patrick Ewing made an offensive comment about James Akinjo's dead mother.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2019, 11:23:16 AM »
Yeah, the problem here is "bad publicity".

And seminaries should have been more careful about whom to admit also. An epidemic of pedophilia can result in bad publicity. Some victims, too, I guess...but the bad publicity!

Goes way beyond bad publicity, but that is certainly one of the problems.  I think some schools learned their lesson, let’s see if Georgetown learns theirs.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »
This.

Only problem is the whims of 18-22 year old kids, usually dudes, make decisions that make your heads explode.  No coach can prevent it all the time.  The bigger question is how does the coach respond and handle it.  That’s where I am hoping Wojo’s compass is pointed properly.  Of course prevention is part of the deal here, too.  Who you wish to bring into the program, the culture, etc. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
He didn't like the way Ewing responded to his letter
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 02:31:44 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2019, 12:27:59 PM »
I saw somewhere...can't recall where...that perhaps Gonzaga is in play for Akinjo.  I can't say that I'd fault him for trading GU in for...well...GU.  I have absolutely no idea if this is true.  I feel bad for Akinjo because it seems like a distinct possibility that his departure is unrelated to this other mess that is going on.  But again, I don't know if that is true either.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »

This is a tricky area. Yes, students accused of university rule violations absolutely get due process. A student cannot be punished until the established conduct process is followed and they are found responsible for a rule violation. They can't be put on probation, suspended, expelled, or lose their scholarship until that process is completed. The only exception is that some schools have processes that allow for an "interim suspension" which suspends the student until the end of the investigation. These are very risky for universities because the bar is set pretty high on what situations warrant an interim suspension. They are really only reserved for situations where a student is an imminent threat to the safety of other students.

So while due process is required for probation, suspension, expulsion, etc. there are currently differing schools of thought on whether or not benching a player is a punishment. There have been rulings that some interpret to say that no due process is needed to bench a player, others see it as a violation of the student athlete's due process. Personally, I think we will eventually get to a point where a Title IX office or a conduct office ordering a student to be benched is a due process violation, but I don't ever see a scenario where the coach choosing to bench the player on his/her own would be considered a violation. I can't imagine a court challenging a coach's ability to decide who is and who isn't playing in a game. While you can argue that losing an athletic scholarship will deny the accused educational access, there is no argument that losing playing time will deny the accused educational access.

This of course puts coaches in a difficult position. If they let the accused play, the message to the world fair or not is that they don't care what their player did, just win baby. If they bench the player, that fair or not sends a message to his team that s/he doesn't believe the player and doesn't have their back. I could see that creating issues in the locker room and on the recruiting trail. They also run the risk of the player being found not responsible and then they benched the player and potentially lost games for nothing.

What's the right answer? Depends on who you talk to. Personally, I don't think all allegations are created equal. There are some where a coach truly doesn't know what to believe or believes that their player is innocent. There are some where the players and the coaches are fully aware of what happened and know it wasn't good. I would say in the second situation, the coach has a moral duty to bench the player. There of course is a big gray area in between those two extremes and those have to be taken case by case.

What will actually happen is that coaches will continue to do what they have been doing. Play the accused players until they are told that they have to kick them off the team. They take some heat but they can use plausible deniability to protect themselves. "I truly had no idea what they had done, but the second they were found responsible I kicked them off the team." They of course will never mention that they had no choice but to kick them off the team.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:08:38 PM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2019, 01:10:39 PM »
With FRPA (student privacy statute), there is very little a coach can say about the situation without the student's permission. Neither Georgetown nor Ewing will ever discuss what happened.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
Adam Zagoria deleted a tweet that said Patrick Ewing made an offensive comment about James Akinjo's dead mother.

If true, Ewing could be toast very soon.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
I saw somewhere...can't recall where...that perhaps Gonzaga is in play for Akinjo.  I can't say that I'd fault him for trading GU in for...well...GU.  I have absolutely no idea if this is true.  I feel bad for Akinjo because it seems like a distinct possibility that his departure is unrelated to this other mess that is going on.  But again, I don't know if that is true either.
this is true about Gonzaga, forgot who tweeted it

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2019, 01:38:50 PM »
So, TAMU, what you're saying is that there is nuance to these kinds of situations and that those far away who make knee-jerk declarations usually don't know what they're talking about?

How un-Scoopian of you!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2019, 01:40:59 PM »
Adam Zagoria tweeted it.  Akinjo is from the west coast (Oakland area ).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2019, 01:50:59 PM »
If Akinjo goes to Gonzaga his theology credits should be able to transfer over.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2019, 02:02:11 PM »

This is crucial

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2019, 02:16:43 PM »

This is crucial

And this is the kind of A+ content that always makes me return to scoop. You all crack me up.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »
Georgetown issues message clarifying that Akinjo was not involved in any wrongdoing.

https://guhoyas.com/news/2019/12/3/mens-basketball-message-from-georgetown-athletics.aspx

Dear Hoya Basketball Supporter,

Many of you have been following recent news regarding our Men's Basketball Team. Yesterday, we announced that two students, James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc, will not be members of the team for the remainder of the season as they have expressed an interest in transferring from the University. Separately, allegations were reported publicly against three members of the team. The allegations do not involve James Akinjo.

While Georgetown refrains from commenting on individual students in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we take student conduct issues very seriously. Alleged conduct violations are investigated and adjudicated by the Office of Student Conduct through a fair and equitable process. Both the complainant and the accused student are given the opportunity to provide written and oral statements along with any relevant evidence before disciplinary actions are taken. Student-athletes are subject to the same disciplinary policies and procedures contained in the Code of Conduct that apply to any undergraduate or graduate student.

Once the student conduct process is completed, and if sanctions are imposed by the Office of Student Conduct, coaches may impose additional disciplinary actions, including removal from the team. When students report concerns for their safety, the University takes immediate action and offers a range of options and supportive resources for students, which may include putting in place no contact orders between members of the campus community, filing a complaint with the University or the Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD), safety planning with GUPD, police escorts for students, counseling and other support services - all to ensure complainants are safe on campus. If the University determines that a student poses an immediate threat to the safety or security of students or of the community, the University would take immediate action to remove the student from campus.

Please know that we are deeply committed to the integrity of our athletics program. All student athletes are required to complete a four-tiered education model on interpersonal violence and sexual assault. Coach Ewing has taken additional steps to ensure a culture of responsibility and integrity within our Men's Basketball Team.

We seek to develop the talents, character and leadership qualities of all student-athletes and members of our community.  We aspire for our student-athletes to exemplify the excellence and integrity of the Georgetown community and will continue to work to achieve this mission.

Sincerely,
Lee Reed
Director of Intercollegiate Athletics

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2019, 02:54:45 PM »
Georgetown issues message clarifying that Akinjo was not involved in any wrongdoing.

https://guhoyas.com/news/2019/12/3/mens-basketball-message-from-georgetown-athletics.aspx

Dear Hoya Basketball Supporter,

Many of you have been following recent news regarding our Men's Basketball Team. Yesterday, we announced that two students, James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc, will not be members of the team for the remainder of the season as they have expressed an interest in transferring from the University. Separately, allegations were reported publicly against three members of the team. The allegations do not involve James Akinjo.

someone in Media Relations should lose their job over lumping in Akinjo with the others.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”