[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jayce Johnson  (Read 14970 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Jayce Johnson
« on: December 01, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
The difference between the abilities of Ed Morrow and Theo and those of Jayce Johnson could not have been more clearly illustrated than they were today.  We have two guys that struggle to catch, struggle to not travel, struggle to not get blocked, and dont rebound.  Jayce can get a shot off, creates space, can catch and knows how to rebound.  He is exactly what this team needs at the 5.
I will have to question wojo if he is not starting and playing as many minutes as possible.  Our second best player today.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:29:30 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Jayce Johnson
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 02:08:36 PM »
Sacar was clearly better than Jayce, and I didn’t see Jayce getting many shots off, not do I sang him to. He does know that’s not his role though. Rebound, set good screens, be big on defense, and put the ball back up if you get an offensive rebound at the rim.

Fine with him not starting. He fouls even more than Theo does.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »
Jayce looked fantastic today.  First time this season I had been impressed with him, but he looked like an important piece today.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
The difference between the abilities of Ed Morrow and Theo and those of Jayce Johnson could not have been clearly illustrated than they were today.  We have two guys that struggle to catch, struggle to not travel, struggle to not get blocked, and dont rebound.  Jayce can get a shot off, creates space, can catch and knows how to rebound.  He is exactly what this team needs at the 5.
I will have to question wojo if he is not starting and playing as many minutes as possible.  Our second best player today.
Well, it looked that way today, but not before today.  I hope it is just because he's getting healthier.  If that is the case you may be correct.  Theo just needed to reverse and use the rim as a shield to avoid the shot blocker.  Jayce played very well today.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 02:09:32 PM »
Jayce looks to be getting healthier and more comfortable in his role, just like how Katin turned around towards the end of the non conference season.

Ed has just not been good. Don’t know what’s going on but hopefully he turns it around. Now that being said, his sister who is a junior in high school right now is pretty incredible. Would love to see the MU women’s team recruit her.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
We may not know where Jayce is at physically yet. He might still need some time before he's ready to take on this many minutes every game.

It does seem pretty clear that his fundamentals and basketball IQ are noticeably better than Ed's or Theo's. He does the little things right consistently. And his defense is pretty good too. He's not going to get as many blocks as Theo, but he'll alter enough shots to be effective.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 02:12:55 PM »
Big Johnson plays with a lot of desire and plays physically.  Theo and Ed don't always do that.  Matchups will dictate when Big Johnson plays bs the others in my opinion.  Big doesn't have the lateral quickness as the others, so there will be times when Big is not playing as much.

Shame that some of our fans thought he was "putrid" and stinks considering he is coming off an injury, especially since some people have seen him play for years on another network.  I like his grit.  He's an average player in my opinion, but played above average today.  There will be games he is going to be an important player for us.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 02:16:37 PM »
He was the best big today.  And apparently no longer has a minutes restriction.  Is going to contribute this year.  To argue otherwise shows wilful ignorance. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 02:22:15 PM »
I’m looking forward to Jayce going forward, he played with heart and a motor, something we will need going forward.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 02:23:25 PM »
It's just a one game sample, but one thing I liked from Jayce today was the way he used his fouls. I don't think any baskets were made on his shooting fouls today. Knowing when to foul hard enough to prevent a decent shot is an underappreciated skill in my opinion.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »
It's just a one game sample, but one thing I liked from Jayce today was the way he used his fouls. I don't think any baskets were made on his shooting fouls today. Knowing when to foul hard enough to prevent a decent shot is an underappreciated skill in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm all aboard the John/Johnson train. Two headed monster at the 5, play whoever is hot that day more minutes.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 02:33:27 PM »
Sacar was clearly better than Jayce, and I didn’t see Jayce getting many shots off, not do I sang him to. He does know that’s not his role though. Rebound, set good screens, be big on defense, and put the ball back up if you get an offensive rebound at the rim.

Fine with him not starting. He fouls even more than Theo does.

For every good play Sacar made he made a Sacar head scratcher.  Marylands last run started on two successive plays where Sacar was the closest on to a loose ball and chose to stand there.  His effort is mercurial and that will never be supported, his decision making is even worse.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
Well, it looked that way today, but not before today.  I hope it is just because he's getting healthier.  If that is the case you may be correct.  Theo just needed to reverse and use the rim as a shield to avoid the shot blocker.  Jayce played very well today.

Theo needs to learn to get his shot up quicker like Davante did.  He is a below the rim player who can’t dunk in traffic.  Too easy to block. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »
Theo needs to learn to get his shot up quicker like Davante did.  He is a below the rim player who can’t dunk in traffic.  Too easy to block.

I noticed that more today then ever before. All 3 shots he had blocked were a foot away but below the rim. When he's in close like that, he's got to go up stronger. I don't get why he's so tentative with the ball in his hands. It's like his athleticism drops by 50% when he's got the ball vs. when he's going after it on D.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
I noticed that more today then ever before. All 3 shots he had blocked were a foot away but below the rim. When he's in close like that, he's got to go up stronger. I don't get why he's so tentative with the ball in his hands. It's like his athleticism drops by 50% when he's got the ball vs. when he's going after it on D.

I wish he would put it on the glass.  If they are going to block it, then it's a goaltend.  Feels to me that each time just get it up on the glass.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 02:52:01 PM »
Big Johnson plays with a lot of desire and plays physically.  Theo and Ed don't always do that.  Matchups will dictate when Big Johnson plays bs the others in my opinion.  Big doesn't have the lateral quickness as the others, so there will be times when Big is not playing as much.

Shame that some of our fans thought he was "putrid" and stinks considering he is coming off an injury, especially since some people have seen him play for years on another network.  I like his grit.  He's an average player in my opinion, but played above average today.  There will be games he is going to be an important player for us.

Although I disagree that neither Theo nor Morrow lack desire, I do agree with the rest of this comment.

Jayce was very good today, and the morons who dismissed him after just a couple of games undoubtedly were the same folks who shat on Katin and Lockett early on.

I was especially encouraged that he came back strong after being kicked in the head. Was worried for a second that he might have been concussed.

Three players excelled for the Warriors today: Bailey, Sacar and Jayce. Good to see going forward.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 02:53:24 PM »
Yeah on his first shot he caught the ball then took to much time winding up for the dunk and got stuffed. Just to slow and easy to project. A catch and quick layup would be much more effective. And I'm guessing on using effective over affective because idk the difference

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 02:55:35 PM »
Loved the hustle and his willingness to fight for any unsecured ball.  Great to see.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »

I love Theo, but yesterday's game started the same way. He got blocked at the rim twice. Frustrating watching Theo and Ed turn interior possessions into empty ones repeatedly.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:15:34 PM by StillWarriors »

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »
Ed struggles with offense.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 03:26:09 PM »
I love Theo, but yesterday's game started the same way. He got blocked at the rim twice. Frustrating watching Theo and Ed repeatedly turn interior possessions into empty ones time and time again.
But, many keep calling to feed the post more.  Results have not been rewarding.  Guys need to kick it out rather than forcing a shot.  That’s effective as well.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »

The dribble to no where except to allow the defender to recover needs to be thrown in the trash

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 03:33:05 PM »
The dribble to no where except to allow the defender to recover needs to be thrown in the trash

Too many players try to put the ball on the floor and gather under the hoop. Ersan on the Bucks is a great example of rebounding while keeping his hands up to make quicker shots more easily.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »
Although I disagree that neither Theo nor Morrow lack desire, I do agree with the rest of this comment.

Jayce was very good today, and the morons who dismissed him after just a couple of games undoubtedly were the same folks who shat on Katin and Lockett early on.

I was especially encouraged that he came back strong after being kicked in the head. Was worried for a second that he might have been concussed.

Three players excelled for the Warriors today: Bailey, Sacar and Jayce. Good to see going forward.

You are correct.  My apologies to both of them. Poor choice of words.  Desire isn’t the right word.  Defensively they absorb a lot of contact and are physical.  Offensively, however, they seem to duck contact more than they do defensively.  Or it feels that way.    So it’s not a matter of toughness in my opinion, but for whatever reason they don’t seem to want to get as physical on the offensive end. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2019, 03:43:31 PM »
Ed struggles with offense.

He's undersized but not quite quick enough to make up for it with athletic moves to the hoop, which has led to some offensive foul issues. Then you add in the turnovers from footwork issues, and you have a pretty rough offensive stretch for Ed to start the year.

I'm hoping he can improve, but some of the things that need to be fixed should have been fixed by now. As a fifth year guy, it may be tough to re-teach some of these things.