[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ...aaaand that’s why the Hausers are no longer Warriors  (Read 16363 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: ...aaaand that’s why the Hausers are no longer Warriors
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »
I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was saying Virginia plays a boring style of basketball

Which they do.

If that style would give us national titles, FF appearances, etc, I'd have no problem with it.

Can't be boring and bad. That's the worst. But boring and great? That would be OK by me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2019, 11:02:03 AM »
Hell boring and good is exactly what we were under O'Neill.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »
the hausers left because they have delusions of playing in the nba ,  neither will make it long if they even get there. 

They also don't have to stones to get the shots they were being deprived of.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2019, 11:36:38 AM »
<shrug>  I think Sam could be an NBA player based on what I saw his first three years. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »
After my last post about Markus, someone posted that I was inaccurate in saying that he took 18 shots. My statement was totally accurate -- look at the box score. 12 shots from the field and 6 from 3 point range. That totals 18. He said Markus was 4 of 6,not 2 of 4 free throws. Correct, I read it wrong. Immaterial.My point was that he had many chances to score and missed many more than usual. His bad night was a factor in the loss. It happens,

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »
After my last post about Markus, someone posted that I was inaccurate in saying that he took 18 shots. My statement was totally accurate -- look at the box score. 12 shots from the field and 6 from 3 point range. That totals 18. He said Markus was 4 of 6,not 2 of 4 free throws. Correct, I read it wrong. Immaterial.My point was that he had many chances to score and missed many more than usual. His bad night was a factor in the loss. It happens,

Yea thats not how it works. He took 12 shots total 6 of them being from 3.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was saying Virginia plays a boring style of basketball

The original poster said the Hauser transferred to "better programs" and it was time to move on.

His reply: You're half right, it's time to move on. Half right = half wrong, so wrong on the "better programs". Then he singled out UVA as (also) boring. Whatever.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2019, 12:11:56 PM »
harryp

Do some homework on this stuff and get back to us when you have it all figured out.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
After my last post about Markus, someone posted that I was inaccurate in saying that he took 18 shots. My statement was totally accurate -- look at the box score. 12 shots from the field and 6 from 3 point range. That totals 18.
Ummmmmm…...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »

A 3 pointer is a FG. he was 1-6 from 2 and 0-6 from 3. He had a bad shooting day but didn't take too many shots and didn't take very many bad shots. You were wrong man.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2019, 01:11:29 PM »
The original poster said the Hauser transferred to "better programs" and it was time to move on.

His reply: You're half right, it's time to move on. Half right = half wrong, so wrong on the "better programs". Then he singled out UVA as (also) boring. Whatever.

Upon rereading, yep, I missed that part of what he was saying. Mea culpa
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:29 PM »
Markus is an awesome talent...who has no idea how to play WITHIN an offense and is a defensive liability.  The only game he knows is how to get himself open (either off the dribble or off a screen).  Wojo is partly to blame b/c he designs his offense to get Markus the ball.  IMO, we would be a MUCH better team if Markus looked to score within the flow of an offensive rather than that being our only offensive option.  Even away from Markus, this style of play promotes too much one-on-one b/c when someone has the ball in somewhat a position to score, they try to score rather than find the best shot (open man) and make the right basketball play.  Notice how our bigs never kick-out to the perimeter?  It seems like the priority is to get Markus big numbers rather than play good basketball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2019, 01:41:55 PM »
Markus is an awesome talent...who has no idea how to play WITHIN an offense and is a defensive liability.  The only game he knows is how to get himself open (either off the dribble or off a screen).  Wojo is partly to blame b/c he designs his offense to get Markus the ball.  IMO, we would be a MUCH better team if Markus looked to score within the flow of an offensive rather than that being our only offensive option.  Even away from Markus, this style of play promotes too much one-on-one b/c when someone has the ball in somewhat a position to score, they try to score rather than find the best shot (open man) and make the right basketball play.  Notice how our bigs never kick-out to the perimeter?  It seems like the priority is to get Markus big numbers rather than play good basketball.

I don't agree with the rest of this post either, but this statement is the most incorrect. While no one is mistaking him for JFB, he has been a solid defender since his sophomore year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2019, 02:03:31 PM »
I think there's a lot of merit to this post, but I do not think it is Markus' fault.  I think it is the offense Wojo runs.  We don't seem to do a lot of the things teams playing together do, like hit cutters with passes.  We seem mostly to pass to the perimeter or to the low post, without a lot of whipping the ball around via the pass.  We move the ball via the dribble. 

Someone in another thread mentioned the give and fade play we ran to get an open three for Bailey from Howard, and I would love to see more of that stuff.  I love ball movement but we just seem to catch the ball and either look to drive or look to shoot, not necessarily in that order.  It would be nice if we looked for a quick pass to an open man heading toward the basket once in a while.  It was the reason I liked Sam.  It may not be in Wojo's offense, but a quick look to move the ball on to an open man unless he was open and squared up was just the way Sam played, I think.

I was hoping that with McEwen in the fold, we would at least see more drive and dish action for some easy hoops, but he hasn't been quite the penetrator I'd hoped and our bigs thus far have not been the finishers you need to make that work.

I still don't know what to make of this team, but the pieces are there to be pretty good 7 or 8 seed type team.  Hope we can put it together.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »
I don't agree with the rest of this post either, but this statement is the most incorrect. While no one is mistaking him for JFB, he has been a solid defender since his sophomore year.

Scoopers have long conflated Howard and Rowsey being a bad defensive backcourt with Howard continuing to be a bad individual defender. It's not true and has become less so every year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »
Scoopers have long conflated Howard and Rowsey being a bad defensive backcourt with Howard continuing to be a bad individual defender. It's not true and has become less so every year.

Yep. I know there were some much needed strategic changes but it's not a complete coincidence that our defense improved immediately after Rowsey left.

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2019, 02:27:51 PM »

Markus is the league leader in ole' defense.   Watch him next game.  Again, amazing offensive talent and a great one-on-one player, but not a complete player by any means.  Best player isn't the one that scores the most.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »
Markus is the league leader in ole' defense.   Watch him next game.  Again, amazing offensive talent and a great one-on-one player, but not a complete player by any means.  Best player isn't the one that scores the most.

I've literally watched him every single game of his Marquette career. He's not a great defender by any means, but he's at least average for his position. The numbers tell the same story.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »

I think Markus is an average defender but his lack of size knocks him down a notch. Way better than Rowsey, way better than Mo Acker too. But IMO a little short of "solid".

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »

I watch him every game specifically on defense and I have no doubt you are wrong. He's not Dominic James, but he is an average defender and has become a higher effort defender every year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 02:44:53 PM »

OMG
I know the board frowns on name calling but this warrants the exception...what an idiot!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
OMG
I know the board frowns on name calling but this warrants the exception...what an idiot!!

He misunderstands how to read the box score. He is not an idiot.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2019, 01:04:23 AM »

Lenny. You understood me perfectly. If I were to expand on it, I’d say MSU is a massive garbage dump of a program that puts winning ahead of human beings. Izzo is a great coach but a rotten man and a hypocrite. Virginia, by contrast, is coached by a man who epitomizes class and decency. He runs a tight ship and demands that his players be solid citizens. That said, the style of hoops he favors (inherited from his equally decent and classy father Dick) does not lend itself to either recruiting or watching. Would I trade our program and it’s trajectory with theirs, even if it meant uVA would win another title in the next 5 years and we would only reach a couple SweetSixteens?
No, I would not. And I wouldn’t trade into MSU if it meant winning 5 straight titles. Just my opinion.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2019, 05:49:35 AM »
A couple of thoughts here:

1) Hausershima happened. Get over it. No amount of griping, fussing or wailing and gnashing of teeth will being back the Baby Hauser and his brother. They are gone.

2) For those of you who have seen Shark Tank, take the attitude of Mr. Wonderful when a business owner turns his money down: "You're dead to me."

3) For better or worse, we have the team we have. While I have some concern about the up side of this team and this coach, we work with the hand we have. Let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt and let's hope we win consistently this year. We lost to a good team Sunday in a game we were talented enough to win but a combination of good coaching on the part of our opponent and lack of quickness on our part worked against us.

Again, for those of you still screaming about the Brothers Hauser, GET OVER IT!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2019, 05:57:06 AM »
dgies

I am afraid the Hauser departure will be discussed for a long time. Both sides of the aisle feel strongly on the topic and likely will always weigh in. For me, I think it was a very dark day in recent MU ball history, but that is life.