Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Symir Torrence  (Read 4978 times)

Afroman

• All American
Symir Torrence
« on: November 29, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »
I don't get why they didn't redshirt him if he's not going to play. Is he hurt?

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Symir Torrence
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 09:14:54 AM »
Symir in my opinion is going to be really good. He is only going to get better and better with time.

He is supposed to be starting his Senior year in high school from a physical standpoint and playing standpoint. It takes time and patience. We’ll see what MU does. Symir is depth in the backcourt at this time.  Not sure what some people expected this year from Symir.

One thing that stands out a bit to me is Greg looks slow from his injuries. One of the assets of Greg’s game was his quickness and athleticism. He does not have the explosiveness yet.

Greg has not played in a while, Kobe is just starting out at MU after sitting out.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:18:23 AM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 09:15:08 AM »
Because we have three guards in the rotation and one could get hurt. He should get more play in the next couple of weeks
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 09:38:36 AM »
I think it would have made sense to redshirt him but my guess is that it wasn’t part of the plan. He reclassified and committed to MU with the expectation of not redshirting this year.

With 4 games in the next 8 days, I think he’ll start to see some run. I’m actually optimistic Symir will work his way into the rotation as the season progresses.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 09:49:57 AM »
Certainly not saying this will happen and pray it doesn’t.  What if Symir ends up getting virtually no run this year?  BE games will be very tough to find playing time.  Does he start to question his decision and look at the transfer portal.  This hasn’t been uncommon in the Wojo era.  We need to be very careful here.  Very! 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
Certainly not saying this will happen and pray it doesn’t.  What if Symir ends up getting virtually no run this year?  BE games will be very tough to find playing time.  Does he start to question his decision and look at the transfer portal.  This hasn’t been uncommon in the Wojo era.  We need to be very careful here.  Very!

I could see him thinking of that if we get Mane since then he's sitting behind Mane and McEwen next year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 09:56:42 AM »
Maybe Symir is still trying to learn the idiotic weave that MU does at the start of every offensive possession.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 09:58:58 AM »
hahaha. Symir transfer talk.....great.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »
It’s as if some here:

1) Have uncontrolled bouts of anticipatory fear about anything. (Most anticipatory fears don’t come to fruition)

2) Are just here to troll.

Symir will be fine. Can we relax a bit about Symir. I am looking forward to his long career at Marquette. He’s going to be good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »
I don't get why they didn't redshirt him if he's not going to play. Is he hurt?

Was talking about this last night during the game. I think Torrence wasn't redshirtted because he is different from the other guards on the team. There will be games where we need his skillset whereas we've got a couple of Dexter Akanno types already. That's why Akanno got pegged for the redshirt. Could have two redshirts I guess but I think most coaches like having 10 players even if they only use an 8 or 9 man rotation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »

SMDH
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
The only thing that deserves an SMDH is somebody saying Jayce Johnson is average. Spoken like somebody who knows zero about college basketball. Then again, I think we all knew that already. 

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
https://twitter.com/egb_st4/status/1200107785368883200?s=21

If you read between the lines you can clearly see how unhappy Symir is and will likely transfer at Christmas break.

:o

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »

If you read between the lines you can clearly see how unhappy Symir is and will likely transfer at Christmas break.

Quick, somebody look up Sandy Cohen’s old posts.  Cuz this proves a ton.  🙄

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »
The only thing that deserves an SMDH is somebody saying Jayce Johnson is average. Spoken like somebody who knows zero about college basketball. Then again, I think we all knew that already.

He led the 3rd place Utah Utes in rebounding at 7.7 rebounds per game. That was top 40 in the nation for high major players.  Yes, I think he is an average player for his size...above in some areas, below in others.  Feel free to disagree.  Glad he is on the team and contributing while getting back healthy.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »

You just ruined Jonny’s Black Friday after he had an almost perfect Thanksgiving despite the rain and cold in California.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 10:34:07 AM »

He led the 3rd place Utah Utes in rebounding at 7.7 rebounds per game. That was top 40 in the nation for high major players.  Yes, I think he is an average player for his size...above in some areas, below in others.  Feel free to disagree.  Glad he is on the team and contributing while getting back healthy.

Yup, Jayce, Frolling, and Chartouney are all the same average. 

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 10:35:21 AM »
You just ruined Jonny’s Black Friday after he had an almost perfect Thanksgiving despite the rain and cold in California.

Yup, I’m absolutely wrecked.  🙄

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »
Yup, Jayce, Frolling, and Chartouney are all the same average.

Not even close, and for you to make that comment shows it is you who doesn’t understand basketball. 

Jayce was a top 100 recruit, played at a high major program and contributed.  Is he lights out? No.  Will he contribute more overall than those other two?  IMO, yes...if he can stay healthy.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 11:50:07 AM »
The schedule is front loaded.  Only 3 cupcakes in the first 9 games.

Right now, he's thinking more than playing.  Typical freshman.   His time will come.

I look for Symir to get some run after the Kansas State game.  Then we'll see if he can earn some playing time in conference.

As for Jayce, he's still rounding into form after the injury.   Too early to judge his play.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »

lol cmon man
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »

One thing that stands out a bit to me is Greg looks slow from his injuries. One of the assets of Greg’s game was his quickness and athleticism. He does not have the explosiveness yet.

He doesn’t have explosiveness or above average athleticism, never did. It’s just fan boys on this board that talk him up. Much like they do with most recruits.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 12:13:21 PM »
I mean, everyone understands red shirting is a two way street, right?? Maybe it's as simple as Symir didn't want to red shirt knowing full well his minutes would be very limited. I love how people always get so mad at a coaching staff when a kid doesn't red shirt etc. I'm willing to bet a vast majority of the time when a red shirt doesn't happen, it's about the player not wanting to than anything else.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
If we continue to have more games with 4 assists, he may find time on the court. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
When Jayce got hurt we were down to 9 players......they couldn't redshirt both guards so they decided on Dexter.......thinking Sy was more ready to play if needed as the 3rd point guard.

Lots of Freshmen don't redshirt and don't play much.....this isn't that unusual.

feedback