[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: General state of college basketball  (Read 11660 times)

wadesworld

• All American
General state of college basketball
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:20:48 PM »
Just curious what people think about the quality of play in the college game and how the extended three point line is working.

Almost my entire life Marquette has been solid to good while the Bucks have been meh to bad. Combine that with the personal connection to Marquette and I’ve been much more of a fan of Marquette and college than I have of the NBA and the Bucks. But now things are basically reversed so I find myself watching more NBA than college basketball and won’t miss a Bucks game as long as I don’t have anything going on.

What’s really stuck out to me is how sloppy the college game is. Turnovers and missed open shots galore, even from the best teams.  That first night where it was 1 vs. 2 and 3 vs. 4 I watched the first half of the Duke game and couldn’t take it. Terrible quality of play. Personally I wasn’t a fan of moving the 3 point line back. I know the idea is to create more space but I’m not certain having players miss more shots is the way to do that. These players aren’t like the pros where an open shot is just points on the board. Personally I am not finding college basketball overly entertaining, and I can’t decide if it’s just the fact that with the Bucks being good I am watching the NBA more and my standard for good basketball has changed or if the quality of the college game has actually gone down.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
Re: General state of college basketball
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 06:23:10 AM »
I have watched more NBA/Bucks this far this season than any full season in my life. The quality of play is light years ahead of the college game. Thus far, I have not seen much to get excited over in watching the college games.

On a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying watching the Bucks this season. They are deep, talented, unselfish and have a big time coach. Barring injury, this might finally be our year. It has been long time since MKE won a crown and I am going to enjoy this ride.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 06:29:50 AM »
The college game is always rough at the beginning.  It usually comes together by conference time and looks decent.  Sometimes it looks great.

But the NBA has been light years ahead of the college game for a long time.  Not only because the players are obviously much better, but because I think NBA refs understand how to manage games without disrupting flow.  The college game has too many stops due to enhanced rules emphases and it just chops it up.

And you are right about the Bucks.  Watching them last night after watching the Warriors in the afternoon hardly seemed like the same sport. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »
I have watched more NBA/Bucks this far this season than any full season in my life. The quality of play is light years ahead of the college game. Thus far, I have not seen much to get excited over in watching the college games.

On a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying watching the Bucks this season. They are deep, talented, unselfish and have a big time coach. Barring injury, this might finally be our year. It has been long time since MKE won a crown and I am going to enjoy this ride.

Agreed on the Bucks. I actually think the Bucks were better last year, but I also think the Raptors (obviously) and 76ers were better last year too. I think the top of the East is down but the middle of the East is way up. While I think the Bucks are the best team in the East, I think the Pacers, Heat, Raptors, and Celtics are threats to go with the 76ers. I actually think it will be something other than the 76ers vs. Bucks in the ECF.

The thing that concerns me with the Bucks right now is that while they’re winning (despite 10 of their first 14 on the road) they just refuse to put teams away this year. Last year they’d get a 15 point third quarter lead and build it to 25 with 8 minutes left and both teams’ backups would play. This year they get a 15 point lead in the third and enter the fourth up by 5. I don’t know if it’s lack of focus, not caring a ton about regular season record and knowing Playoffs is all that matters, now being the “statement win” opportunity for opponents so they keep coming hard all game, or a combination of all of the above.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »
The college game is always rough at the beginning.  It usually comes together by conference time and looks decent.  Sometimes it looks great.

But the NBA has been light years ahead of the college game for a long time.  Not only because the players are obviously much better, but because I think NBA refs understand how to manage games without disrupting flow.  The college game has too many stops due to enhanced rules emphases and it just chops it up.

And you are right about the Bucks.  Watching them last night after watching the Warriors in the afternoon hardly seemed like the same sport.

This, at least on the skill level.  I still find the lack of offense and the generous rule breaking on the court itself for NBA tiresome, but yes the ball goes into the goal a lot.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 10:20:09 AM »
People watch college basketball not because of the "quality of the players," but rather an affiliation or connection to a team or institution.

I actually watch very few NBA games, because they are meaningless 80% of the season, and it drives me nuts that they don't call travels, carries, and obvious fouls. Others prefer that because that means the refs "manage the game".

As an example, if the MU v. Robert Morris game had been an NBA game, none of the travels called on MU would have been called. They would have been play-ons.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
People watch college basketball not because of the "quality of the players," but rather an affiliation or connection to a team or institution.

I actually watch very few NBA games, because they are meaningless 80% of the season, and it drives me nuts that they don't call travels, carries, and obvious fouls. Others prefer that because that means the refs "manage the game".

As an example, if the MU v. Robert Morris game had been an NBA game, none of the travels called on MU would have been called. They would have been play-ons.

Well said.  This
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 10:29:54 AM »

Can’t really dispute any of this. It’s just about preferences.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
General state of college basketball refereeing: poor as ever

https://twitter.com/robdauster/status/1198729559052636160?s=21

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »
General state of college basketball refereeing: poor as ever

https://twitter.com/robdauster/status/1198729559052636160?s=21

In all honesty, in both college and the NBA. The coach should be able to call for a review of a suspected flop. If they are right, technical foul on the opposing team. If they are wrong, lose a timeout.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »
In all honesty, in both college and the NBA. The coach should be able to call for a review of a suspected flop. If they are right, technical foul on the opposing team. If they are wrong, lose a timeout.

I just don’t understand how a ref can’t see that. They keep emphasize and emphasize it, yet they keep screwing up the call.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »
Enjoy the college game immensely more than the NBA. Level of talent does not necessarily correlate to level of fan enjoyment. IMO, there's nothing more exciting in sports than college basketball in March.

Quality of college play is always worse in November. Team identities are still forming.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »
If we could have a league where the refs called travels like they do in college and personal fouls like they do in the pros, that would be perfect in my opinion.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 11:10:12 AM »
I've been watching the same amount of college basketball and NBA for awhile now.  IMHO, nothing changed other than the Bucks finally got good.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 11:45:58 AM »
Enjoy the college game immensely more than the NBA. Level of talent does not necessarily correlate to level of fan enjoyment. IMO, there's nothing more exciting in sports than college basketball in March.

Quality of college play is always worse in November. Team identities are still forming.

People need to stop making this argument IMO.  March Madness is incredible.  Probably my favorite sports spectacle.  I'm a huge CBB fan.  But college basketball is so bad in terms of quality of play for large stretches of the year.  Just say you like college sports more than pros, but other than March Madness, don't claim that on a basketball level they are remotely the same level of enjoyable.  As teams play to a 65-60 slog in conference play.  Comparing the NBA to CBB with March Madness as the key driver for CBB is weak.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »
People need to stop making this argument IMO.  March Madness is incredible.  Probably my favorite sports spectacle.  I'm a huge CBB fan.  But college basketball is so bad in terms of quality of play for large stretches of the year.  Just say you like college sports more than pros, but other than March Madness, don't claim that on a basketball level they are remotely the same level of enjoyable.  As teams play to a 65-60 slog in conference play.  Comparing the NBA to CBB with March Madness as the key driver for CBB is weak.

So he cannot have his own opinion on what he finds more enjoyable?   Uhm, ok.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
Guess you can't enjoy watching a child/loved one play a sport unless they do it at the professional level?

Enjoyment does not necessarily mean equal talent level.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 12:04:59 PM »
So he cannot have his own opinion on what he finds more enjoyable?   Uhm, ok.

He can have whatever opinion he wants.  We already know your stance which is why you quickly jumped in. Bringing in "fan enjoyment" makes it a broad reaching statement instead of a personal one.  All I pointed out was using MM as a catchall for the entire season.  I'd make arguments about the same if someone championed the NFL over NCAA football and said "cause the Super Bowl is such an incredible event"
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:06:59 PM by JWags85 »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »
He can have whatever opinion he wants.  We already know your stance which is why you quickly jumped in. Bringing in "fan enjoyment" makes it a broad reaching statement instead of a personal one.  All I pointed out was using MM as a catchall for the entire season.  I'd make arguments about the same if someone championed the NFL over NCAA football and said "cause the Super Bowl is such an incredible event"

I was talking about myself. As a fan, I enjoy college basketball more, regardless of talent differences. Not sure how you can possibly take issue with my opinion.

I enjoy March Madness more than the NBA Playoffs. I also find the college regular season (conference, at least), more enjoyable than the NBA regular season. Can I have that opinion?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:12:41 PM by Coleman »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
I have found the CBB product pretty hard to watch this season.  I also just think my overall interest in CBB is down - likely because I am not overly confident in this team.  I also think what happened after last season was just such a kick to the nuts, its been tough for me to be as interested.

Its kind of like March Madness.  I am always nuts for it and watch basically every game the first weekend.  But if Marquette loses, my interest level goes down dramatically. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »

You literally said "Just say you like college sports more than pros, but other than March Madness, don't claim that on a basketball level they are remotely the same level of enjoyable"

That sounds like he isn't allowed to have that opinion.  So it isn't the same level of enjoyment for you.  For others it is....different strokes for different folks.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 12:18:25 PM »
Load Management.   I'm not a NBA fan to begin with, and I certainly recognize the superior talent these guys have....but things like load management, no defense, taking 4 steps (Harden), etc...I (my opinion) don't find it enjoyable at all.  Even though they are elite athletes, skilled to the highest degrees in the world, I just don't find that enjoyable.  Some do.  To each their own.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »
It seems like folks are talking about two different things.  Any who claims that the product is better at the collegiate level (i.e. Duke/UK can beat the Knicks, Bama can beat the Dolphins) is just stupid.  Feel free to call them out to your hearts content.  Saying that you prefer the collegiate game for whatever reason is an opinion.  Personally I hate it when you see professionals laughing on the bench in the 4th quarter of a 20 point loss.  If they know that they're not going to the playoffs, all they care about is that their check arrives on time.  That's something that you will never see any college player do. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
Load Management.   I'm not a NBA fan to begin with, and I certainly recognize the superior talent these guys have....but things like load management, no defense, taking 4 steps (Harden), etc...I (my opinion) don't find it enjoyable at all.  Even though they are elite athletes, skilled to the highest degrees in the world, I just don't find that enjoyable.  Some do.  To each their own.

When was the last time you played basketball for several hours in a day?  I play once a week for 2 hours and I'm still sore the next day even though I work out pretty much every day.  Part of that is certainly due to me being 36...

Now do that several times a week (or pretty much every day) over the course of something like 8 months...they need the rest even if they are some of the most elite athletes in the world.

Getting guys rest is something I don't have issue with, unless you catch a team with a star taking a night off and you have tickets to said game, but that's purely personal...the no defense thing, while it certainly happens from time to time, I think this is something that is grossly overstated, but that's just my opinion.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 12:40:50 PM »
Load management makes perfect sense considering how many games these guys play.  And "no defense?"  Anyone who still makes that argument about the NBA doesn't know what they're watching.

feedback