Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morris less  (Read 14874 times)

tower912

• All American
Morris less
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:24:03 PM »
1.   When did Sacar turn into JuJuan.    Not playing defense.  Not hustling back on defense after another bad turnover.   Making dumb decisions on offense.    Scoring just enough that you can't complain too much.    My biggest disappointment so far. 
2.  Markus, time to get a little selfish.   It seems like he is trying so hard to not be selfish that he is instead becoming passive.
3.   A fifth year senior trying to throw a bounce pass through two defenders to another 5th year senior who isn't establishing his space.
4.  Nice to see Brendan contribute offensively.
5.  Honestly, I see a lot of the same mistakes that my 7th graders are making.    Sloppy with the ball.   Standing around on offense.    Telegraphing passes.   When pressed, running away from the ball instead of cutting to open spaces.   The obvious response is coaching, but you can tell them exactly what they need to do.   If they don't do it...   Just like 7th graders.
6.   Robert Morris never looked afraid of the moment.    Kudos.   
7.  I don't know how MU is ever going to play two bigs.   Jayce is still limping.    Theo jumps at everything on the perimeter.    Ed can only score from 1 foot. 
8.    But, MU didn't lose.    I shudder to thing what this place would be like if they hadn't pulled it out.     Time to go down to Orlando and find themselves. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

skianth16

• All American
Re: Morris less
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »
I get the game plan today, but the results were not good. This team needs Markus a little too much. This isn't what they needed heading into Orlando.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »
Not sure I can remember a team being called for travelling so much.  Need to slow things down a bit.

We looked terrible against the press as well - I have to imagine we'll start seeing a lot more of that until we can prove we can beat the pressure. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
I’m surprised that you shudder about ‘this place’ if we lost. 

Much to work on.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 03:31:42 PM »
On the brightside

We got a couple of guards who can ice games at the line
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
1 - for all the hype coming in to the season, Sacar has been the opposite. 

Gregg Elliot needs to play more, sacar needs to play less. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 03:33:51 PM »
15 turnovers, need to better handle and value the basketball.

Shot 25% from three. (4/16)  need better shooting.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Just tired of watching the weave offense every possession.  Dribble, pass, dribble, pass, round and round outside the three point line. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 03:36:41 PM »
I think the most concerning aspect for me today was how easily we allowed dribble penetration, especially considering we do have length and athleticism. 

Lots to clean up but hopefully playing 3 games in 4 days next week can help the team get in more of a rhythm.

Today had to help Bailey's confidence - hopefully that makes a difference moving forward. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
15 turnovers, need to better handle and value the basketball.

Shot 25% from three. (4/16)  need better shooting.

That would be 21 turnovers, 14 by starters, with Sacar the leader in clubhouse with 5. 

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 03:48:34 PM »

Sacar game high 14 with 5 boards and shot 60%.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 03:57:36 PM »
With 5 turnovers and matador defense. 

Another 7th grade mistake, Cain not knowing who he was guarding, then turning around and throwing a long, lazy bounce pass to the post.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 04:16:26 PM »
1.   When did Sacar turn into JuJuan.    Not playing defense.  Not hustling back on defense after another bad turnover.   Making dumb decisions on offense.    Scoring just enough that you can't complain too much.    My biggest disappointment so far. 
2.  Markus, time to get a little selfish.   It seems like he is trying so hard to not be selfish that he is instead becoming passive.
3.   A fifth year senior trying to throw a bounce pass through two defenders to another 5th year senior who isn't establishing his space.
4.  Nice to see Brendan contribute offensively.
5.  Honestly, I see a lot of the same mistakes that my 7th graders are making.    Sloppy with the ball.   Standing around on offense.    Telegraphing passes.   When pressed, running away from the ball instead of cutting to open spaces.   The obvious response is coaching, but you can tell them exactly what they need to do.   If they don't do it...   Just like 7th graders.
6.   Robert Morris never looked afraid of the moment.    Kudos.   
7.  I don't know how MU is ever going to play two bigs.   Jayce is still limping.    Theo jumps at everything on the perimeter.    Ed can only score from 1 foot. 
8.    But, MU didn't lose.    I shudder to thing what this place would be like if they hadn't pulled it out.     Time to go down to Orlando and find themselves.
We won. Davidson up next.

ps No need to sully the reputation of JJJ. He was a very effective player for us Jr and Sr season.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 04:20:36 PM »
That would be 21 turnovers, 14 by starters, with Sacar the leader in clubhouse with 5.

You are correct. 21.  Not sure why I typed 15. Point remains the same.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »
Herman, I appreciate everything JjJ did.  But when Wojo announced every position would be determined by effort in practice, JjJ showed up late.   The antithesis of senior leadership.   Could not be trusted to get back on defense.   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:25:29 PM by tower912 »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »
I guess you did not see his 5 turnovers and lack of defense.

[BBCBBC quote author=geps link=topic=59381.msg1174916#msg1174916 date=1574545714]
[/quote]

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 04:43:36 PM »
Ive noticed Sacar lack of effort early this season as well *(I didn’t see today’s game)*

Not to dog the kid cause everyone goes through slumps over a long career, but it’s odd to see one of our main hustle and high effort guys throughout his career not get back on defense as a fifth year senior.

It’s that effort that got him into this starter and heavy minute position for this season and the team needs him to become a reliable and consistent go to guy. Hope he has an awesome year

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 04:46:51 PM »
We won. Davidson up next.

ps No need to sully the reputation of JJJ. He was a very effective player for us Jr and Sr season.

“Very effective”? Sorry but disagree.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 04:47:51 PM »
I guess you did not see his 5 turnovers and lack of defense.

[BBCBBC quote author=geps link=topic=59381.msg1174916#msg1174916 date=1574545714]

2 of which came at an absolutely critical time. He has been a major disappointment this year so far. Complete no show in last years NCAA game. Can’t be counted on.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »

Hopefully, Sacar picks it up. He was awful in the first 6 games last year before he got it going. Let's hope...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 06:00:57 PM »
“Very effective”? Sorry but disagree.

JJ was good as an upperclassman, especially his senior year. Still had some maddening moments but once his 3P shot developed he was a good offensive player.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »
Lipstick on this pig:

1) It was ugly, but we won. Unlike Kentucky or UCLA, we survived our cupcake scare. We've had them before (Presbyterian last year, Omaha in 2014, Southern & Hampton in 2013, NC-Central in 2012) & winning is most important.

2) Bailey and Anim provided some offense & we won without major contributions from Howard or McEwen.

3) Bailey looked good in the middle of the zone.

4) Defense was generally okay. Kept us in it when we couldn't buy a bucket or even a look.

5) Theo is legit as a rim protector.

6) Jayce showed promise. He uses his size and length really well.

Brutal realities:

1) Scoring was a struggle. Even the open looks didn't fall. Today I felt we really missed Brett Nelson.

2) The turnovers were bad. Not just the number, but how many times did we seemingly bounce pass it right to a defender? More ball-handlers was supposed to help this.

3) The inability to finish made me want to poke my eyes out. Both at the rim and from three.

4) The sequence that pissed me off the most was a lazy bounce pass turnover by Sacar, then in transition he was lazy getting back on an easy layup for his guy. But what infuriated me most was him shooting and missing a three on the next possession. How did he not get yanked after that?

5) Wojo was outcoached today. Every time he figured something out, Toole had an answer. Credit to them, but that decisive run we needed was simply never there, never enough.

6) We looked lazy the entire first half. This team hasn't done enough to earn being entitled. Go win Orlando, then you can take a few plays off. But even then, if you want to accomplish something of note, you can't take plays off.

7) Bailey was better. But Elliott should absolutely be starting over Anim & I'd be fine with Cain starting too.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
JjJ's jumper improved.  I really liked when they ran the curl for him off the screens at the foul line.   He got a lot of points that way.   Same play worked for Haanif.   They run it for Sacar now, but he won't finish.
     JjJ acknowledged at the postseason banquet that he had been a knucklehead.  And I can't get past a senior, after being told that all positions would be determined by effort in practice, showing up late and earning a DNP/CD.     
   I want Sacar to step up his defense and effort.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 06:19:45 PM »
Hate to say it but I think we’re looking at a .500 Be team.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »
Not sure I can remember a team being called for travelling so much.  Need to slow things down a bit.

We looked terrible against the press as well - I have to imagine we'll start seeing a lot more of that until we can prove we can beat the pressure.
Very disappointed in that press breAk. Again.