[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A win is a win is a win is a win  (Read 44164 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: A win is a win is a win is a win
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
It’s not so they can learn how to score. The team doesn’t like playing with him and it was Wojo’s way of teaching some kind of lesson.

Source?  Besides your tush?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 04:19:57 PM »

Who are the four and five star recruits on this team?

None currently but you have had in the last 4 years.

5 Star- Ellenson
4 Star - Sam Hauser
4-Star Joey Hauser
4-Star Sandy Cohen
4-Star Haniff Cheatham

And that does not include Makus Howard all american.

Obviously these guys did not all play on the same roster but my point is that you cannot somehow get 1 single tournament win with a combination of these guys. Give me a break thats 100% on the coach.

People can only blame Buzz for destorying the program for so many years. This is year 6 and I fully believe the only reason he is still the coach is because they dont want a full decade of rebuiding.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:22:06 PM by HowardsWorld »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 04:23:38 PM »
It’s not so they can learn how to score. The team doesn’t like playing with him and it was Wojo’s way of teaching some kind of lesson.

This season is going to be a train wreck the likes of which we haven’t seen in a long, long time.
If you have inside info to back this up please send me a PM
No Finish Line

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
None currently but you have had in the last 4 years.

5 Star- Ellenson
4 Star - Sam Hauser
4-Star Joey Hauser
4-Star Sandy Cohen
4-Star Haniff Cheatham

And that does not include Makus Howard all american.

Obviously these guys did not all play on the same roster but my point is that you cannot somehow get 1 single tournament win with a combination of these guys. Give me a break thats 100% on the coach.

People can only blame Buzz for destorying the program for so many years. This is year 6 and I fully believe the only reason he is still the coach is because they dont want a full decade of rebuiding.
Didn’t all those guys leave under a cloud?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »
None currently

Exactly. I’m not excusing Wojo here but this team doesn’t have a bunch of talent. It has one high level player.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:26:22 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
Well, this particular Win dropped Marquette 9 spots in kenpom - from 20->29

I'll take the W, but hope the team plays better in Orlando.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »
Thats exactly my point. Coach.

Oh. So Coach got us a win. Cool.

On to the next one.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »

This season is going to be a train wreck the likes of which we haven’t seen in a long, long time.

Slow clap. Very funny

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 05:42:42 PM »
Speaking by this slug team by 4 points, unacceptable. DePaul cant wait to their hands on Wojos coaching the team.

Kind of like your effort on this post. Mistake-prone posts are unacceptable...
Where is your grammatical pride? Those 1960s era HS English teachers refuse to accept this garbage, right?

Wrong, there is no “unacceptable” result. There is either careless and sloppy play/posting or solid execution.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 05:58:27 PM »

Exactly. I’m not excusing Wojo here but this team doesn’t have a bunch of talent. It has one high level player.

I agree, though I have read on Scoop that a) Koby is "at least" a 2nd team All Big East player, b) Greg and Jamal are "great", c) Next year Theo will be an "absolute stud", d) Sacar will play in the NBA and d) Brendan Bailey will be a Marquette "all timer".

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2019, 06:17:31 PM »
this coulda been our "evansville" but man, we don't have much room for error.  gotta clean up the turnovers, the defense took a step back and the shooting was atrocious.  some of our passes were like trying to shove a square ball thru a round hole.  but the play says i've got to pass it to...cheezus man, plan "b" plan "c" but don't give it up!!  i'd rather see em chuck it up there behind their back than throwing it away. 

we just didn't look like we wanted to be here today.  better get this chit outta our system or it's gonna be a longer, colder winter.  but i guess it's better to play bad and win than play good and lose
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2019, 06:26:36 PM »
Lenny
Last year was fool’s gold and this year is a one trick pony.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2019, 06:28:22 PM »
I agree, though I have read on Scoop that a) Koby is "at least" a 2nd team All Big East player, b) Greg and Jamal are "great", c) Next year Theo will be an "absolute stud", d) Sacar will play in the NBA and d) Brendan Bailey will be a Marquette "all timer".

There’s a reason we ain’t coaches.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2019, 06:35:45 PM »
Bailey was the silver lining today.  Otherwise ugly.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
Take the win, but it would be disingenuous to the overall body of work to suggest that this doesn't feel a lot like foreshadowing...

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
Lenny
Last year was fool’s gold and this year is a one trick pony.

Bingo.  Mediocrity as far as the eye can see.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2019, 06:38:49 PM »
When I said the rest of the guys on this team were Deane-level players, I wasn’t talking about John Polonowski or Bart Miller.  Jon Harris, John Cliff, Oluoma Nnamaka, Jarrod Lovette, David Diggs?  They’d be right at home on this team.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2019, 06:40:33 PM »
I believe this is the 5th straight game that Jamal has an airball 3. Brutal.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2019, 06:45:40 PM »
Take the win, but it would be disingenuous to the overall body of work to suggest that this doesn't feel a lot like foreshadowing...

I know we can’t always expect this, but something tells me that right when the darkness will be seemingly creeping in Mr Howard will take over and save the day.

Last season in Brooklyn after a debacle in the 2H against Kansas and with about 5 mins to play versus Louisville the team looked down and out. Then MARKUS happened and MU won in OT, Stan gave him a massive hug after the game and we know how the next few months went.

Sadly the ending was a disaster, but until I see otherwise I won’t believe that Markus as a senior will let this team fall apart, assuming they don’t all turn on each other like the end of last yr (coaches responsibility here).

That said, hate to bring up harsh memories as I pour my first scotch, but I can’t help but think how differently things could’ve been had MU held on to the under 4 lead v Nova to clinch the conference title last year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:49:32 PM by DoctorV »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2019, 09:05:44 PM »
When I said the rest of the guys on this team were Deane-level players, I wasn’t talking about John Polonowski or Bart Miller.  Jon Harris, John Cliff, Oluoma Nnamaka, Jarrod Lovette, David Diggs?  They’d be right at home on this team.
Early on in the Wojo era, I posted a poll asking whether he would have a better record than Mike Deane. I posted it again mid way through Wojos tenure. Now we know the results, Deane had a better overall record 100-55 to Wojo to Wojo 97-69.  I have been saying for some time that Wojo is basically at the Deane level in terms of post Al coaches at MU. Yes, I know Wojo is a better recruiter, but Deane was a better coach. Net result is the same. Cords had the common sense to send Deane packing .  If mediocrity is accepted it becomes the standard. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2019, 09:14:22 PM »
Early on in the Wojo era, I posted a poll asking whether he would have a better record than Mike Deane. I posted it again mid way through Wojos tenure. Now we know the results, Deane had a better overall record 100-55 to Wojo to Wojo 97-69.  I have been saying for some time that Wojo is basically at the Deane level in terms of post Al coaches at MU. Yes, I know Wojo is a better recruiter, but Deane was a better coach. Net result is the same. Cords had the common sense to send Deane packing .  If mediocrity is accepted it becomes the standard.
However, Deane had the benefit of the carryover of  O’Neill talent.  Whereas, Wojo was downtrodden by the lack of carryover from Buzz. 

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »

Deane’s 5 year record:

21-12
23-8
22-9
20-11
14-15

Said you can’t recruit at Marquette and we should be fine with an occasional NCAA tourney appearance.

Wojo’s 5 year record:

13-19
20-13
19-13
21-14
24-10

Just signed a 5* recruit and has the current top 10 recruiting class in the country.

If you want to look at an overall record, go ahead.  If you are unable to see the difference, I can’t help you.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2019, 09:24:53 PM »
However, Deane had the benefit of the carryover of  O’Neill talent.  Whereas, Wojo was downtrodden by the lack of carryover from Buzz.

Query: can someone with more energy than me list and compare the players Wojo inherited with the players Deane inherited?