collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 283424 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #2050 on: December 08, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »
The problem is Eaton is a perfect fit for a boring Tony LaRussa team.

So, I'm entirely "meh" on the signing of Adam Eaton (though relieved it's a cheap, 1-year deal), but does anyone really believe a team featuring Luis Robert, Tim Anderson, Eloy Jiminez, Jose Abreu and a hopefully healthy Yoan Moncada is going to be boring?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2051 on: December 08, 2020, 12:44:40 PM »
So, I'm entirely "meh" on the signing of Adam Eaton (though relieved it's a cheap, 1-year deal), but does anyone really believe a team featuring Luis Robert, Tim Anderson, Eloy Jiminez, Jose Abreu and a hopefully healthy Yoan Moncada is going to be boring?

Not to be all superficially moneyball-y, but I'd be a little more bullish on Eaton.  With that lineup, you just need guys that can get on base and you can move around the lineup a little bit.  Eaton won't cause a rush on jersey sales, and with La Russa there's every reason be suspicious of the old way of doing things, but the guy has a career .360 OBP, is only 32, and was hurt last year.  He's got a little speed, hits left handed (everyone on that list is right handed except Moncada who is better switch vs RHP), and he does well against left handed pitching (.272, .351, .695).  He's on an affordable one year deal.  There's a lot to like.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2052 on: December 08, 2020, 01:00:37 PM »
Not to be all superficially moneyball-y, but I'd be a little more bullish on Eaton.  With that lineup, you just need guys that can get on base and you can move around the lineup a little bit.  Eaton won't cause a rush on jersey sales, and with La Russa there's every reason be suspicious of the old way of doing things, but the guy has a career .360 OBP, is only 32, and was hurt last year.  He's got a little speed, hits left handed (everyone on that list is right handed except Moncada who is better switch vs RHP), and he does well against left handed pitching (.272, .351, .695).  He's on an affordable one year deal.  There's a lot to like.

One glaring problem is that he wasn't just hurt last year. He's missed 217 games over the past four seasons. And his numbers have declined pretty dramatically since he was bit of a metrics darling during his first run with the ChiSox.

On top of that, he wasn't exactly the most popular guy in the clubhouse - among teammates or management - during his first stay in Chicago. Abreu, Yaz and Keuchel are likely strong enough leaders to overcome that, but it's not not a concern.

If this was the better alternative to giving a long-term, $15-20 million a year deal to Joc Pederson or Michael Brantley, I get it. But it's nothing to get excited about, IMO.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2053 on: December 08, 2020, 01:18:19 PM »
I actually think they paid too much for Eaton. I didn’t love the idea of Pedersen or Brantley, and they were never going to pay Springer for 5 years.

I just don’t think Eaton at $7M is worth it, at $4 million, sure.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2054 on: December 08, 2020, 01:45:08 PM »
I actually think they paid too much for Eaton. I didn’t love the idea of Pedersen or Brantley, and they were never going to pay Springer for 5 years.

I just don’t think Eaton at $7M is worth it, at $4 million, sure.

Agreed. He may be a 1 WAR player. Brantley, who is better in every way, would not cost a lot more than $7 million a year in the current financial climate.

Plus, Engel might be a better player than Eaton right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2055 on: December 08, 2020, 01:59:04 PM »
Agreed. He may be a 1 WAR player. Brantley, who is better in every way, would not cost a lot more than $7 million a year in the current financial climate.

Plus, Engel might be a better player than Eaton right now.

Brantley was set to make $16 million this year. He may not get that again, but I don't think he's signing for one year/$7 million.

Engel may be a better player, but the Sox still needed another outfielder, and much preferably one who hits lefthanded.

Pakuni

• All American

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2057 on: December 08, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »

I think you’re right. He checks a lot of boxes (left handed bat, high OBP, veteran presence, recent experience with a world champion). IMO he becomes better/more valuable for the Sox than he might be elsewhere.

As Pakuni points out, recent injuries are concerning. Not too worried about the clubhouse - we already have proven leadership and he seemed to get along OK in Washington.

Not a big deal but the Sox got a little better today after getting a lot better yesterday. Hope there are more deals in the near future.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2058 on: December 08, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »
Since Nightengale just hinted at it on Twitter, I’m guessing Liam Hendriks to the Sox is all but done.

For those new around here, anything Nightengale reports or hints at that is White Sox related is coming to Nightengale straight from Reinsdorf himself.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2059 on: December 08, 2020, 07:28:48 PM »

Are age and injuries catching up, though? OPS+ has dropped 3 years in a row.

He also was one of the most hated guys in the Sox locker room. "I can say one thing about it: Eaton, nobody liked you in a White Sox uniform, in the clubhouse. OK?" Guillen said. "That's what I know. I'm just being honest."

Maybe Dish can speak to this.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2060 on: December 08, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
Are age and injuries catching up, though? OPS+ has dropped 3 years in a row.

He also was one of the most hated guys in the Sox locker room. "I can say one thing about it: Eaton, nobody liked you in a White Sox uniform, in the clubhouse. OK?" Guillen said. "That's what I know. I'm just being honest."

Maybe Dish can speak to this.

I’m not a fan of it, I don’t disagree with anything Jockey said here. I still feel like it’s $2-$3M too much. He’s regressed multiple seasons in a row, injured, and he’s an odd fit personality wise.

If the plan was to platoon someone with Adam Engel, why not wait out the market?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #2061 on: December 08, 2020, 10:06:10 PM »
Carlos Santana to KC on a two year deal for $17.5 mil.  Would’ve been cool with the Brewers signing him to play 1B, but I’m guessing they didn’t want to give him that second year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2062 on: December 09, 2020, 07:52:57 AM »
Plus, hiz guitar playin' in da klubhause wood lusen da boyz up a bit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2063 on: December 09, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
Plus, hiz guitar playin' in da klubhause wood lusen da boyz up a bit, hey?

Oye Como Va

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2064 on: December 09, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
I don’t think I even realized that they had All MLB teams, but having two relievers on First Team and one of them not being Devin Williams is a joke. Shortened season, but he was historically good. Heck, he received Cy Young and MVP votes as a non-closing reliever.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2065 on: December 09, 2020, 10:34:10 PM »
I don’t think I even realized that they had All MLB teams, but having two relievers on First Team and one of them not being Devin Williams is a joke. Shortened season, but he was historically good. Heck, he received Cy Young and MVP votes as a non-closing reliever.

Honestly, it’s hard. Cause Williams stats are crazy.  But then you look at Hendricks, his SO/W as a closer was like 12.5, that’s insane. And then ok maybe Nick Anderson, but dude had a .490 WHIP and an 8.67 SO/W ratio compared to Williams at .630 and 5.89 respectively. And they both had absurdly low ERAs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2066 on: December 13, 2020, 08:23:24 PM »
The Cleveland Baseball Team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2067 on: December 13, 2020, 08:29:40 PM »
The Cleveland Baseball Team.

They should just revert to the Spiders. It would be an awesome name.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #2068 on: December 13, 2020, 08:42:25 PM »
I saw a tweet tonight suggesting Cleveland Rocks :)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2069 on: December 13, 2020, 08:53:09 PM »
About time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2070 on: December 13, 2020, 08:57:30 PM »
Life is good now, hey. I hope we still see Charlie Sheen. ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:59:50 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #2071 on: December 13, 2020, 09:04:03 PM »
Marquette alum Steve Rushin has a fun idea :):

Cleveland Grovers would honor club stalwart Mike Hargrove, President Grover Cleveland, HOF pitcher Grover Cleveland Alexander and The Monster at the End of This Book.

https://twitter.com/SteveRushin/status/1338317886499205121

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2072 on: December 13, 2020, 10:45:27 PM »
Redskins!

(What? Too soon?)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2073 on: December 13, 2020, 11:30:38 PM »
There are a bunch of great historical names for Cleveland baseball. Their first name after moving to Cleveland was the “Cleveland Lake Shores” which is kind of amazing if not unwieldy.  Also “Forest Cities”.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2074 on: December 13, 2020, 11:57:48 PM »
I saw a tweet tonight suggesting Cleveland Rocks :)

My 1st thought was Cleveland Rockers - since their stadium is right by the Rock n Roll museum.