[Today at 12:29:26 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by rocky_warrior
[Today at 12:26:02 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 282689 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #1150 on: June 24, 2020, 01:43:47 PM »
Baseball Hall of Fame reopens on Friday.

Maybe they'll have a new exhibit on how the owners and players managed to screw up these negotiations.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: June 24, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »
Baseball Hall of Fame reopens on Friday.

Maybe they'll have a new exhibit on how the owners and players managed to screw up these negotiations.

They will probably need to leave room for the upcoming CBA negotiations.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: June 24, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »
What are you losing with it though? Expanded rosters, your bullpen horses are going to go more innings and pitch more often than ever before. The Cubs to me are the perfect team to try it, they are a veteran team, their staff is all seasoned vets. Their window is coming up against contract commitments, you might as well go for it. If you try it for the first 16 games, and it's not working, or you're out of it, then scrap it.

I think you're going to see way more experiments this year than ever before.

I agree with Pakuni's thoughts on this.  These guys aren't conditioned to go on 3 days rest.  And looking at the Cubs guys:

Lester only has 2 career starts on 3 days.
Quintana has 1 career start on 3 days rest.
Darvish has never pitched on 3 days rest.
Hendricks has never pitched on 3 days rest. 

Asking those guys to do that for 2 straight months seems like a recipe for disaster.  Even though at least 3 of them are clearly workhorses.

But I do think you're right that there will be a lot of experimentation.  I'd just be surprised if 4 man rotations were part of it. 

I'm interested to see what the Sox do, as they have 7 starters that will likely be ready at the start of the season.  I wonder if they will use 5 starters, (Giolito, Keuchel,Gonzalez, Cease, Lopez) and use the other 2 guys (Kopech and Rodon) as like super relievers, or maybe just use them as tandems with Cease and Lopez?  I'm just guessing they will protect Kopech and Rodon a bit as they are coming off injuries.  But with the workloads already having an innings limit, maybe not?

Personally, I would love to see Rodon close for the Sox.  And if history is any guide, as soon as transactions are allowed on Friday, the Sox will probably trade Gio Gonzalez.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: June 24, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »
They will probably need to leave room for the upcoming CBA negotiations.

Construction will be an essential service during the 2nd wave, so they'll be able to finish the new wing

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: June 24, 2020, 04:16:40 PM »
I agree with Pakuni's thoughts on this.  These guys aren't conditioned to go on 3 days rest.  And looking at the Cubs guys:

Lester only has 2 career starts on 3 days.
Quintana has 1 career start on 3 days rest.
Darvish has never pitched on 3 days rest.
Hendricks has never pitched on 3 days rest. 

Asking those guys to do that for 2 straight months seems like a recipe for disaster.  Even though at least 3 of them are clearly workhorses.

But I do think you're right that there will be a lot of experimentation.  I'd just be surprised if 4 man rotations were part of it. 

I'm interested to see what the Sox do, as they have 7 starters that will likely be ready at the start of the season.  I wonder if they will use 5 starters, (Giolito, Keuchel,Gonzalez, Cease, Lopez) and use the other 2 guys (Kopech and Rodon) as like super relievers, or maybe just use them as tandems with Cease and Lopez?  I'm just guessing they will protect Kopech and Rodon a bit as they are coming off injuries.  But with the workloads already having an innings limit, maybe not?

Personally, I would love to see Rodon close for the Sox.  And if history is any guide, as soon as transactions are allowed on Friday, the Sox will probably trade Gio Gonzalez.

I'm a Sox fan, so some bias here, but I think they will be fascinating to watch. Is it worth having either Rodon or Kopech on the roster? I legit don't know, one could argue keep those guys off the mound for a 60 game season, or to your point, it's only 60 games, you have expanded rosters, you can break glass in case of emergency on either guy.

I think the first twenty games are so important. That's what I was advocating on the 4 man rotation, you can at least see where you are at after three weeks, and then adjust from there.

Be real interesting to see what kind of shape some of these guys are in too. I'd expect a lot of pulled hamstrings in the first couple weeks.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: June 24, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
I'm a Sox fan, so some bias here, but I think they will be fascinating to watch. Is it worth having either Rodon or Kopech on the roster? I legit don't know, one could argue keep those guys off the mound for a 60 game season, or to your point, it's only 60 games, you have expanded rosters, you can break glass in case of emergency on either guy.

I think the first twenty games are so important. That's what I was advocating on the 4 man rotation, you can at least see where you are at after three weeks, and then adjust from there.

Be real interesting to see what kind of shape some of these guys are in too. I'd expect a lot of pulled hamstrings in the first couple weeks.

I can't think of any reason not to have Rodon on the roster, what am I missing?

With Kopech, I get it with service time stuff, but also with no minor league season, I'd guess they'll just have him on the roster.

And as to the second point, yeah, we will know who spent quarantine eating chips and playing PS4.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:59:37 PM by buckchuckler »

shoothoops

• All American

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: June 27, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »
Sox have signed Jarred Kelley (and previously Crochet).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: July 04, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1159 on: July 07, 2020, 11:29:34 AM »
MLB already failing to live up to the agreement.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: July 07, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »
MLB already failing to live up to the agreement.

Based on testing? Manfred already admitted to the press he never had any intention of going above 60 games. That may bite him.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: July 07, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »
Based on testing? Manfred already admitted to the press he never had any intention of going above 60 games. That may bite him.

On testing? MLB has violated agreement on how often tests will be given.

On 60 games? Even a dummy like me knew (and stated on Scoop) that MLB was never going to agree to more games. I predicted 48, but 60 is in the same ballpark. MLB made all their bogus offers to the union just to stall the process as long as they needed so they didn't have to play more than 60.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: July 07, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
On testing? MLB has violated agreement on how often tests will be given.

On 60 games? Even a dummy like me knew (and stated on Scoop) that MLB was never going to agree to more games. I predicted 48, but 60 is in the same ballpark. MLB made all their bogus offers to the union just to stall the process as long as they needed so they didn't have to play more than 60.

Got it. Definitely not disagreeing with you. Just wondering if MLB did something dumb on top of those issues.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: July 07, 2020, 01:13:58 PM »
Dave Dombrowski, Tony LaRussa, Dave Stewart have joined Music City LLC in the efforts to bring an MLB team to Nashville. Here is the updated group:

https://www.mlbmusiccity.com/leadership-roster/

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: July 07, 2020, 02:26:24 PM »
Got it. Definitely not disagreeing with you. Just wondering if MLB did something dumb on top of those issues.

I didn’t think you were arguing -I just wanted to clarify what I said.

Listened to a Kris Bryant interview where he was upset with the testing. MLB said it would be every day. He said it’s been more like 10 days.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: July 07, 2020, 03:54:00 PM »
Are there different types of tests now?  From what I've heard, the covid tests suck.  All I've heard is they stick a swab so far up your nose it feels like they're sticking it straight into your brain.  I wouldn't be thrilled about having that done to me every day.  Is there a different version of the test these athletes are getting tested with?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: July 07, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »
Are there different types of tests now?  From what I've heard, the covid tests suck.  All I've heard is they stick a swab so far up your nose it feels like they're sticking it straight into your brain.  I wouldn't be thrilled about having that done to me every day.  Is there a different version of the test these athletes are getting tested with?

Golfers all get the nose test, at least once a week.

They all say it’s not that bad.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: July 07, 2020, 05:08:56 PM »

My GF just had a test done on Friday. There is a second type of test that doesn’t insert nearly as far. It’s a bit ticklish and slightly uncomfortable, but it doesn’t make you gag. I’m sure these guys experience worse on a regular basis.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: July 07, 2020, 05:16:35 PM »
Imagine that, Joe West is a coronavirus truther.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: July 07, 2020, 05:51:30 PM »
Golfers all get the nose test, at least once a week.

They all say it’s not that bad.

I've had the test 4 times. It's really not bad. It's uncomfortable but not painful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: July 07, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
I see a story that Cleveland Indians are evaluating a name change.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: July 07, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
I see a story that Cleveland Indians are evaluating a name change.

Hearing Lake Erie Indians and Mistake on the Lake Indians are the current favorites.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: July 08, 2020, 06:58:36 AM »
Hearing Lake Erie Indians and Mistake on the Lake Indians are the current favorites.

Just move em to Nashville.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1173 on: July 08, 2020, 02:56:07 PM »
Imagine that, Joe West is a coronavirus truther.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: July 10, 2020, 07:28:49 PM »
Kopech to sit out 2020.