[Today at 09:23:57 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Boiler breakdown  (Read 20318 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Boiler breakdown
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »
No disagreement here.  Wojo screwed that up.  And he had Ellenson backstory to learn from.  Losing Sam is a travesty. 

A "travesty?"  Hardly.  This team would be better with Sam no doubt.  But he wasn't happy so its time to move on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »
Great take, brewski.

Some folks get their undies in a bundle when Markus has the ball and/or shoots "too much," and also can get their undies in a bundle when Markus has the ball and/or shoots "too little."

Markus played an intelligent, team-oriented game. Moved well without the ball. Attention Purdue paid on him led to a ton of open shots for his teammates. Our guys (especially Koby) started knocking 'em down in the second half.

One thing I notice was that, outside of Markus, the footwork on our outside shots was quite poor.  IMO Purdue was a level above speed wise and it took some time for players to adjust.  Once they did, and they calmed down, the shots started to fall.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »
Theo +19. Haarms -17.

https://gomarquette.com/documents/2019/11/13//Box_Score_Purdue_at_Marquette_14_November.pdf

That's a hell of a stat. I kept wondering why Haarms wasn't playing more. It seemed like we didn't have an answer for when they threw it into him deep in the post. This is why coaches are paid the big bucks, Painter likely noticed other ways Haarms was doing more Haarm then good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2019, 10:05:16 AM »
Good to see some long overdue discussion of the Hausers in here.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2019, 10:05:43 AM »
BTW, for those wondering about Symir, what exactly did you want Wojo to do?  Clearly he was going to ride Markus and Koby, with Elliott (who played with GREAT energy) subbing for both.  There wasn't much room for him and likely won't have much moving forward.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »
That's a hell of a stat. I kept wondering why Haarms wasn't playing more. It seemed like we didn't have an answer for when they threw it into him deep in the post. This is why coaches are paid the big bucks, Painter likely noticed other ways Haarms was doing more Haarm then good.

Interesting. I kept wondering when Haarms was going to get off the court. Played 29 minutes, felt like he barely left the court in the 2nd half.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2019, 10:13:16 AM »
Great take, brewski.

Markus played an intelligent, team-oriented game. Moved well without the ball. Attention Purdue paid on him led to a ton of open shots for his teammates. Our guys (especially Koby) started knocking 'em down in the second half.

Lots of positives last night. Good D in half #1, great D in the second half. Markus smart and under control, and Koby is a guy who one on one can "get his". Theo 30+ minutes, only 2 fouls vs an excellent big. Greg with lots of energy.

Some reality: we were lucky they couldn't make free throws and "our guys" (other than Markus and Koby) didn't really "knock 'em down" in either half (Brendan, Sacar, Greg and Jamal were a combined 5-22, 1-11 from 3).

All in all, though, a great comeback win against a quality opponent. On to Madison!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2019, 10:21:13 AM »
Lots of positives last night. Good D in half #1, great D in the second half. Markus smart and under control, and Koby is a guy who one on one can "get his". Theo 30+ minutes, only 2 fouls vs an excellent big. Greg with lots of energy.

Some reality: we were lucky they couldn't make free throws and "our guys" (other than Markus and Koby) didn't really "knock 'em down" in either half (Brendan, Sacar, Greg and Jamal were a combined 5-22, 1-11 from 3).

All in all, though, a great comeback win against a quality opponent. On to Madison!

Good points, Lenny.

Those of us who are happy today aren't naive. We know there were quite a few "cons" to go with the "pros." I already have mentioned some elsewhere. In the first half, two of my big concerns -- the lack of proven scoring/shooting beyond Markus and potential rebounding problems -- came to light. And I'm guessing they will resurface in many other games this season, as well. We will lose some of those games.

But bailing on the team halfway through our first real game -- ripping on players by name and already declaring the season to be hopeless -- that was ridiculous even by Scoop standards.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2019, 10:22:25 AM »
BTW, for those wondering about Symir, what exactly did you want Wojo to do?  Clearly he was going to ride Markus and Koby, with Elliott (who played with GREAT energy) subbing for both.  There wasn't much room for him and likely won't have much moving forward.

Agreed.  But he'll still get some minutes.  I'm not sure we want 37 from Koby too often.  It's a long season.  Wojo was going to ride that hot hand both to, well, ride it but also to begin to instill confidence in him that he's totally capable of playing well at this level.  I'm thinking Koby's wheelhouse is about 30-32.  If Markus is about 34 and Sacar is 30-32 that leaves up to 26 or so split between Greg and Sy.  Call it 20 and 6 perhaps?

What it does reinforce is the Dexter redshirt decision, baring injury.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »
Agreed.  But he'll still get some minutes.  I'm not sure we want 37 from Koby too often.  It's a long season.  Wojo was going to ride that hot hand both to, well, ride it but also to begin to instill confidence in him that he's totally capable of playing well at this level.  I'm thinking Koby's wheelhouse is about 30-32.  If Markus is about 34 and Sacar is 30-32 that leaves up to 26 or so split between Greg and Sy.  Call it 20 and 6 perhaps?

Yep yep yep.

Hot hand, matchups, foul situation, etc all will dictate playing time. Love our starting backcourt, and I like our depth a lot this year. Elliott showed a lot of fire and also some skill last night; looking forward to his continued improvement.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »

But I think a lot of Symir's minutes will be when they play cupcakes.  Wojo rides his guys.  He's done that since he's been here.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »
I'm not keen to ride Markus and Koby for more than 32 min per game, but without them, scoring and ball movement stop right now. I think we'll see them staggered more often.

Greg's clearly the go to 3rd option right now, and the reality is he likely still is not all the way back with his conditioning. I anticipate continued improvement from him in the non con

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »

But I think a lot of Symir's minutes will be when they play cupcakes.  Wojo rides his guys.  He's done that since he's been here.

Reasonable take.

Wojo does ride his guys, but he also has been willing to play freshmen when they've earned the right to be "his guys."

Not even counting the first couple of years, when we were young, young, young ...

Markus and Sam played a ton as freshmen. Joey did last season. Bailey's PT increased last season. Cain became a mainstay as his freshman year went on.

If Symir becomes a more viable option in Wojo's mind, he will play.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2019, 10:59:35 AM »

One thing I notice was that, outside of Markus, the footwork on our outside shots was quite poor.  IMO Purdue was a level above speed wise and it took some time for players to adjust.  Once they did, and they calmed down, the shots started to fall.

+1

I'm hoping this isn't a symptom of Brett Nelson leaving. That first half non-Markus shooting was ugly. What were we, 1/11 before Koby finally hit a three?

That said, Wojo's offenses generally improve as the year goes on. We started shaky on offense last year too and it was really trending up until Markus got hurt.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »
Greg's clearly the go to 3rd option right now, and the reality is he likely still is not all the way back with his conditioning. I anticipate continued improvement from him in the non con

Greg has taken 8 shots and scored 11 points on the year and has not started either game, and you're saying he's the clear number 3? This is not a good take. Sacar and Theo are ahead of Greg right now in the pecking order for getting a bucket.

Greg, Jamal, and Brendan all have a chance to be that #3 option. But they're not there yet. Of course, this is a small sample, but Sacar and Theo have done a nice job of picking up where they left off last year. I they'll continue to be strong, especially Sacar.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2019, 11:01:56 AM »
Lenny, no November win is going to make the season seashells and balloons.    And the first half was not an artistic success.    But even when Purdue was building their lead, they weren't doing it because MU was defending poorly.    Down 18, I still wasn't worried.     I felt that as soon as MU got a stop and secured a defensive rebound (the true achilles heel in the first half) and then hit a shot on the other end, that it would turn.       I think we can all agree that the second half is the type of basketball we all want to see.     Physical on the boards, great on ball defense, lots of guys hitting shots.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
I think we won by putting the ball through the hoop more than Purdue

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
Greg has taken 8 shots and scored 11 points on the year and has not started either game, and you're saying he's the clear number 3?

I'm pretty sure he means in the backcourt.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2019, 11:09:42 AM »
Greg has taken 8 shots and scored 11 points on the year and has not started either game, and you're saying he's the clear number 3? This is not a good take. Sacar and Theo are ahead of Greg right now in the pecking order for getting a bucket.

I believe he meant 3rd option for PG...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2019, 11:12:11 AM »
Your point?

My point is lets stop taking shots at two kids who left and ended up at two of the most prestigious programs in the country.  It's not a good look. We are who we are.  Lets focus on that and move forward. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2019, 11:13:04 AM »
https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/purdue-at-marquette-game-thread.180829/

Purdue Game Thread might be funnier than ours!

I was going to say good God they are whiny, but our game thread is probably worse.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
I believe he meant 3rd option for PG...

I stand by my Theo comment.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2019, 11:33:17 AM »
My point is lets stop taking shots at two kids who left and ended up at two of the most prestigious programs in the country.  It's not a good look. We are who we are.  Lets focus on that and move forward.

We should limit our shots to the kids who remain.

feedback