[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT Memphis  (Read 42867 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: OT Memphis
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »
Penny is going to be in for a rude awakening. I’m sure he can get away with whatever he wants at Memphis because of who he is, but that’s not how it’s going to work with the NCAA. He’s taking the approach of Arizona, LSU, Auburn, etc. but their wins will be vacated and Wiseman will be ruled ineligible before the season is over. If this was going to take years to settle sure, vacated wins don’t matter so take your shot at a Natty. But this won’t take years, Wiseman will be gone, and they’ll be vacating wins they would’ve had even without him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2019, 08:03:29 PM »
Sorry but no. It was a ridiculous ruling.

What’s ridiculous about it? Coach who is campaigning to get the Memphis job, who is also a booster, pays to get the kid to move to Memphis and the kid spurns blue bloods to play for said coach and program (a program with a history of shadiness).

All purely a coincidence I’m sure.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
So penny paid for him to move to play at his HS then gets him to come to Memphis. Looks like penny’s time at Memphis coming to an end soon

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2019, 08:06:46 PM »
What’s ridiculous about it? Coach who is campaigning to get the Memphis job, who is also a booster, pays to get the kid to move to Memphis and the kid spurns blue bloods to play for said coach and program (a program with a history of shadiness).

All purely a coincidence I’m sure.

I have stated why. I think it is insane that he is considered a booster cause he played for them and gave a gift ten plus years ago. And the benefit was paid two years ago before he was their coach.

Not to mention the benefit had nothing at all to do with why he went to Memphis in the first place.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »
Is Crean considered a booster to MU? Or do you actually have to pay the money?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2019, 08:11:31 PM »
So penny paid for him to move to play at his HS then gets him to come to Memphis. Looks like penny’s time at Memphis coming to an end soon

So Penny knew in the summer of 2017 that Tubby Smith would last only two seasons at Memphis and he'd be hired to replace him?

Heck, if that's true Penny needs to quit wasting his time coaching and go make a billion dollars in Vegas.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »

I have stated why. I think it is insane that he is considered a booster cause he played for them and gave a gift ten plus years ago. And the benefit was paid two years ago before he was their coach.

Not to mention the benefit had nothing at all to do with why he went to Memphis in the first place.

Dipcrap. This wasn’t ten years ago
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
Is Crean considered a booster to MU? Or do you actually have to pay the money?

Crean's considered a "silent donor".

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2019, 08:16:00 PM »
Dipcrap. This wasn’t ten years ago

His last gift to Memphis athletics was over ten years before he provided the benefit. This is according to what I read last hour. Do you have other info?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2019, 08:20:03 PM »

I don’t see any way Wiseman ends up going to Memphis if he doesn’t move to Memphis.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
Crean's considered a "silent donor".

That $100,000 soccer donation was quite the public announcement, assuming he'll cut that check any day now?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2019, 08:21:12 PM »
Because he wasn’t coach for the University of Memphis at the time. He paid to move him to Memphis to play for his high school team, which was not a violation (apparently) of Tennessee high school rules.

Penny was also an alumni and player for Memphis so he was a booster for the university.

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2019, 08:23:38 PM »
I don’t see any way Wiseman ends up going to Memphis if he doesn’t move to Memphis.

So?  Going to Memphis wasn’t a condition for the benefit.

Of course if Memphis hires his dad to be a coach, pays him a salary, and moves him to Memphis, that’s fine.

But providing him with $11,000 to move there two years before he becomes coach isn’t.

Failed logic.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »
Penny was also an alumni and player for Memphis so he was a booster for the university.

That doesn't make him a booster 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
That $100,000 soccer donation was quite the public announcement, assuming he'll cut that check any day now?

Well, Jamil did wind up at MU eventually...the check must be delayed at the Penny Hardaway Bank branch. 

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2019, 08:32:26 PM »
So Penny knew in the summer of 2017 that Tubby Smith would last only two seasons at Memphis and he'd be hired to replace him?

Heck, if that's true Penny needs to quit wasting his time coaching and go make a billion dollars in Vegas.
so you’re saying it’s just a coincidence that he got him to come to Memphis?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2019, 08:32:58 PM »
So?  Going to Memphis wasn’t a condition for the benefit.

Of course if Memphis hires his dad to be a coach, pays him a salary, and moves him to Memphis, that’s fine.

But providing him with $11,000 to move there two years before he becomes coach isn’t.

Failed logic.

So it had quite a bit to do with Wiseman going to Memphis. If he doesn’t live in Memphis, which Penny paid to help happen, there’s almost surely less than a 0.001% chance Wiseman goes to Memphis to play college basketball. It’s just about a certainty that it’s the only thing that made Memphis getting Wiseman a possibility.

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2019, 08:35:42 PM »
So it had quite a bit to do with Wiseman going to Memphis. If he doesn’t live in Memphis, which Penny paid to help happen, there’s almost surely less than a 0.001% chance Wiseman goes to Memphis to play college basketball. It’s just about a certainty that it’s the only thing that made Memphis getting Wiseman a possibility.

Ok I get that... but who cares?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
His last gift to Memphis athletics was over ten years before he provided the benefit. This is according to what I read last hour. Do you have other info?

Yes. Do you know the definition of a booster?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2019, 08:49:11 PM »
Ok I get that... but who cares?
You do, but not the membership of the NCAA.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2019, 08:49:26 PM »

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »

I get that. I don’t agree with their rule.
So what.  That’s what the membership agreed upon. Rules are rules.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »

I get that. I don’t agree with their rule.

I don’t agree with every speed limit, but I am smart enough to know that if I violate it, I am subject to getting a ticket.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2019, 09:02:02 PM »
so you’re saying it’s just a coincidence that he got him to come to Memphis?

No, I'm saying it's a coincidence that the Memphis job came open two years after Wiseman moved to Memphis.