[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Schedule news  (Read 55876 times)

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: 2020 Schedule news
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
If even one governor issues an order for state universities to stay closed in Fall, all sports are dead. Imagine Evers issuing such an order. If it isn't safe enough for students to be in classes, it isn't safe enough for student-athletes to compete in sports that require direct physical contact. There is absolutely zero chance of any sports being played for a school that isn't allowing in-person classes.

Then think about the domino effect. If Marquette, UW-Madison, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Milwaukee are all suspending play, that will lead to their leagues suspending play. The Big East and Big 10 can't play their conference schedules starting in November or December if two members aren't going to be involved. And they aren't going to have everyone else playing non-con games without some of their members. So now you have three leagues that will be completely out of the NCAA structure.

Further dominos...those teams all have contracts in place for non-con games. It would throw all the conferences they are engaged to play out of whack. The Big 12 and ACC both have challenge series in place. How do they go forward while losing those games? Then there are all the non-con tournies, guarantee games, and home-and-homes. All of those would go away and it would have a disparate effect on numerous leagues around the country. Just based on what we know of Marquette, the Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, MAAC, Patriot, A-10, and American would be immediately affected.

But it's not just Wisconsin. Consider that all of the following areas have either Democrat executives or proactive Republicans and if just one of them shut down on-campus activities for Fall 2020 it would put an end to the athletic events of at least three leagues: California, Colorado, Illnois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington, Washington DC, and Wisconsin.

The reality is that there will not be college sports without a vaccine. The earliest we could see a vaccine, the absolute earliest if all goes perfectly, is September, by which time universities will have already suspended Fall semesters. College football in 2020 is done. College basketball in 2020 is done. Not only that, but by pushing those revenue sports down the road, we will almost certainly see more schools go the route of Cincinnati. The Bearcats disbanding their soccer program was a trial balloon, there will be more that follow. I would be surprised if the NCAA 7/7 sports requirement was still in place 6 months from now. There will be lost jobs, scholarships, programs, and possibly even entire sports.

This isn't alarmism, it's realism. It's logically thinking through what it will take to get college sports up and running again. And the answer is a vaccine and open campuses. As we won't have both of those things until the Spring 2021 semester, we won't see college sports until January 2021. That's why we are seeing articles where executives from universities talk about suspending the Fall semester now. It's just like NIL. 7 months ago, the NCAA was threatening to kick schools from California and Florida out of the NCAA, today they are pushing a NIL plan through. Today, they are saying they will continue publicly while quietly sending out the indicators there won't be a Fall semester. Be realistic. College sports in 2020 are over.

I understand your points Brew, but I  think a lot of this is your realism and you fail to consider anything other than a vaccine.  For instance, it was just announced tonight that Remdesivir showed some very positive results as a treatment in shortening recovery time. Dr Fauci said that as this result is encouraging enough, but it shows that a drug can be effective against this virus.  So there is likely going to be further progress with other drugs as an effective treatment.

We are 6 months before practice can start for college basketball. That is a long time and we are likely to gain a ton of traction on how to handle this virus.  This will take pressure off of our hospital systems and shorten stays for the critically ill.

I believe that come fall, our outlook will be totally different than one months ago.

As you stated, 7 months ago no one thought the NIL would come tor fruition via the NCAA.  Well, I believe that in 6 months we will be looking back and saying that no one thought that 7 months ago we would be playing college basketball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2020, 07:57:32 PM »
I understand your points Brew, but I  think a lot of this is your realism and you fail to consider anything other than a vaccine.  For instance, it was just announced tonight that Remdesivir showed some very positive results as a treatment in shortening recovery time. Dr Fauci said that as this result is encouraging enough, but it shows that a drug can be effective against this virus.  So there is likely going to be further progress with other drugs as an effective treatment.

I'm not counting on miracle cures because they are just that. Miracles. There has been a big push to believe in miracle cures from hydroxychloroquine to disinfectant to sunlight to Remdesivir but the only real answer is a vaccine because even if we find a miracle cure, that's an after the fact solution, which means an exponential number of new cases created before that patient begins treatment.

The reason we use an extreme tool like social distancing is to buy time. Time to increase testing, time to expand hospital beds, time to find a vaccine, time to slowly build herd immunity. I simply don't believe we've bought enough time to have all D1 campuses back to full live classes by Fall.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2020, 08:10:33 PM »
I'm not counting on miracle cures because they are just that. Miracles. There has been a big push to believe in miracle cures from hydroxychloroquine to disinfectant to sunlight to Remdesivir but the only real answer is a vaccine because even if we find a miracle cure, that's an after the fact solution, which means an exponential number of new cases created before that patient begins treatment.

The reason we use an extreme tool like social distancing is to buy time. Time to increase testing, time to expand hospital beds, time to find a vaccine, time to slowly build herd immunity. I simply don't believe we've bought enough time to have all D1 campuses back to full live classes by Fall.

These aren't miracles.  They are solutions based on medicine and science.  And they work.  If you can give someone medicine that treats the illness, shortens the length of severity of that illness and lessens the chance of dying, that is a good thing. It's a solution. It's not a "miracle cure" as you state.

We don't have a cure for the flu.  There is no vaccine for the flu.  We take shots to hope stave it off or lessen its affects, but there is no vaccine.  So we take appropriate measures, if and when we get sick we treat it with medicine and rest.  We have bought some time and are buying more time with social distancing etc and we are learning more and more every day on how to treat this.  For instance - remember all the worries about having enough ventilators?  It is now understood that Vents are not necessarily the best treatment for Covid patients.  Armed with info like this and other factors, come the fall hospitals will have protocols in place to better treatments for patients who come in, if in fact there is a huge uptick in cases.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2020, 08:37:06 PM »
Nothing has been tested broadly enough to say it definitively works. Right now the solutions are anecdotal. And the flu shot is a vaccine. It has varying success rates because it is designed to be predictive and combines different strains, but injecting disease cells into the body to encourage antibody growth is exactly what vaccination is.

Regardless, testing of any medication will minimally take months of trials. You need to learn how it impacts follow up care, if there are after-effects or reinfection, every "promising drug" or is at this point still a long way from being useful on a broad scale. And even if in 6 months one of these treatments has the efficacy & long-term success rates, then production needs to be ramped up & hope for no disease mutation.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2020, 09:52:38 PM »
Nothing has been tested broadly enough to say it definitively works. Right now the solutions are anecdotal. And the flu shot is a vaccine. It has varying success rates because it is designed to be predictive and combines different strains, but injecting disease cells into the body to encourage antibody growth is exactly what vaccination is.

Regardless, testing of any medication will minimally take months of trials. You need to learn how it impacts follow up care, if there are after-effects or reinfection, every "promising drug" or is at this point still a long way from being useful on a broad scale. And even if in 6 months one of these treatments has the efficacy & long-term success rates, then production needs to be ramped up & hope for no disease mutation.

And that is why it is encouraging that a current drug is showing promise.  You can choose to call it anecdotal, but it is more than that.  So if a current drug does in fact work, yes, after more trials and investigation, it is already in production and can ramp up further and be more readily available at a much quicker pace than something not yet discovered.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2020, 09:58:39 PM »
You can choose to call it anecdotal, but it is more than that.

No, it's not. Words don't lose their meaning because it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »
Not sure why -- maybe my silly optimism -- but I think we will have a 2020-21 college basketball season.

And I'm looking forward to both the 20-game round-robin and our great NC schedule. Can't wait to see Garcia, Carton and the rest of the guys play hoops.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2020, 10:08:37 PM »
Not sure why -- maybe my silly optimism -- but I think we will have a 2020-21 college basketball season.

And I'm looking forward to both the 20-game round-robin and our great NC schedule. Can't wait to see Garcia, Carton and the rest of the guys play hoops.

I think we'll have a season. It just won't start until next year, alongside college football. The schools can't afford to lose the revenue.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2020, 10:25:52 PM »
I think we'll have a season. It just won't start until next year, alongside college football. The schools can't afford to lose the revenue.

I think we'll start in November. I base that on nothing but optimism ... and I hope I'm right!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2020, 07:38:08 AM »
Kudos to Brew and Irwin for their well reasoned comments. Both have very valid points. My take is that at some point the usual wise cautions against rushing meds to market without proper, scientifically controlled studies will be largely set aside. My reasoning is that social distancing at some point needs to end because our economy simply cannot survive indefinitely with people staying at home and the government cannot continue to send money indefinitely. Yes, I know that will most likely result in loss of lives and I am NOT saying "well, too bad, let's move on." I just think that is what is going to happen- taking risks on meds and hoping for the best. I'm not necessarily endorsing that route.

Will basketball return in November? Like 82, I'm guessing yes, although this is probably wishful thinking. Maybe only 10 people will be allowed on the court at one time and the refs will have to run up and down the aisles in the stands. If Breeding is still reffing, remember to trip him.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »
When it starts will be interesting ...  BUTTTTT  as I understand it, the Fiserv is still debating about seating.  They actually might remove seat and/or rows... But whats really interesting, there won't be any beverages  served via the tapper ! ! ! Yep, no tap beer, your Coke neither...  Food will prob be ordered from a kiosk or mobile app...  Pick it up somewhere down the hall... Booze drinks will use those little airplane bottles.... AND   expect prices to go UP ! ! !  8-)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »
Good read on the non conference scheduling legislation that passed today(that was mentioned here a week or so ago). This describes it in more detail as to what it means.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-04-30/new-college-basketball-rules-allow-flexibility-non-conference-scheduling
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »

We are 6 months before practice can start for college basketball. That is a long time and we are likely to gain a ton of traction on how to handle this virus.  This will take pressure off of our hospital systems and shorten stays for the critically ill.

I believe that come fall, our outlook will be totally different than one months ago.

As you stated, 7 months ago no one thought the NIL would come tor fruition via the NCAA.  Well, I believe that in 6 months we will be looking back and saying that no one thought that 7 months ago we would be playing college basketball.
Remdesivir has proven to be a good last resort medication that lowers the disease effects by 4 days but not a real treatment nor something that will prevent disease from spreading. Need a vaccine or a medication that can cure the disease.
Goal is National Championship

GOO

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2020, 10:07:55 AM »
Remdesivir has proven to be a good last resort medication that lowers the disease effects by 4 days but not a real treatment nor something that will prevent disease from spreading. Need a vaccine or a medication that can cure the disease.

Well said.  There has been small trials and the reduced death rate of about 30% may not even be statistically meaningful.  But let's say that it does help with recovery and that it helps reduce the death rate by 30% - if you are one of ten that would have died, now only 7 of you will have died if treated.  Not odds that make me feel good about wanting to sit in a stadium with thousands of people, some of which will definitely be ill and be shedding the virus knowingly or not. Maybe with a lot of testing and early intervention, the results will be better - let's hope so. But there are so many unknowns with this virus and why it results in various other health issues.  The longer you can wait to get sick, the better off you will be, as treatments start to fit the known risks.

I'd add that any vaccine that comes out in the fall or early winter will have supply constraints, not be fully vetted, and have potential unknown risks.  I also assume it will be first made available for health are workers, EMT, older people, etc.  There is a reason that a lot of potential vaccines get shelved, don't work, or are too dangerous (something like 93% failure rate, I believe?). 

I do think there will be a vaccine of some sort by the fall, if for no other reasons because it will be deemed politically expedient the USA and many other countries to claim victory and that all will be normal soon.  The question will be if one wants to risk taking it without full long term studies, and it won't be available for most people even with a world focused on ramping up production.  At least not with conventional methods - and if the methods of production are not conventional, there is then added risks.   Plus, the question will be the effectiveness and for how long - that will not be known for at least a year and probably much longer.  A vaccine that is 50% effective would really help, but not put me in an arena with 10K people. If you get to 70%, now you're talking as long as almost everyone gets vaccinated.. that will take time and there will be many holdouts - hopefully our politicians and celebrities that don't believe in vaccines/science will keep their mouths shut.

With a high transmission rate  for this virus, a few basketball games in a row and all of a sudden you have a lot of infections amongst the fans - a couple of hundred infected people (2% of a 10K crowd) infect a few more people - at the next game those people infect a few more... Social distancing measures, masks, etc, in a stadium may help reduce the spread, but it is still going to spread... I would not want to be the person who has allergies or needs to sneeze in that place, with or without a mask.  I would not want to be near the guy yelling non-stop.  It would be a very different fan experience and I can't say any better than being at home - which is normally not the case.

Anyway, I for one will very likely forgo season tickets this year for the first time since the late 80s.  I am hoping that MU allows us to do so and not lose points for consecutive seasons.  For some of us that are a bit older, it just isn't worth the risk - and for those of us who come in contact with or have household members at high risk - attending a game cannot be morally or ethically justified - the trade off of potential serious harm to another to watch a game is something that is not in my wheel house and that I cannot justify.  Even in a low risk transmission, due to the extent of the risk, I cannot justify it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2020, 11:00:58 AM »
Well said.  There has been small trials and the reduced death rate of about 30% may not even be statistically meaningful.  But let's say that it does help with recovery and that it helps reduce the death rate by 30% - if you are one of ten that would have died, now only 7 of you will have died if treated.  Not odds that make me feel good about wanting to sit in a stadium with thousands of people, some of which will definitely be ill and be shedding the virus knowingly or not. Maybe with a lot of testing and early intervention, the results will be better - let's hope so. But there are so many unknowns with this virus and why it results in various other health issues.  The longer you can wait to get sick, the better off you will be, as treatments start to fit the known risks.

I'd add that any vaccine that comes out in the fall or early winter will have supply constraints, not be fully vetted, and have potential unknown risks.  I also assume it will be first made available for health are workers, EMT, older people, etc.  There is a reason that a lot of potential vaccines get shelved, don't work, or are too dangerous (something like 93% failure rate, I believe?). 

I do think there will be a vaccine of some sort by the fall, if for no other reasons because it will be deemed politically expedient the USA and many other countries to claim victory and that all will be normal soon.  The question will be if one wants to risk taking it without full long term studies, and it won't be available for most people even with a world focused on ramping up production.  At least not with conventional methods - and if the methods of production are not conventional, there is then added risks.   Plus, the question will be the effectiveness and for how long - that will not be known for at least a year and probably much longer.  A vaccine that is 50% effective would really help, but not put me in an arena with 10K people. If you get to 70%, now you're talking as long as almost everyone gets vaccinated.. that will take time and there will be many holdouts - hopefully our politicians and celebrities that don't believe in vaccines/science will keep their mouths shut.

With a high transmission rate  for this virus, a few basketball games in a row and all of a sudden you have a lot of infections amongst the fans - a couple of hundred infected people (2% of a 10K crowd) infect a few more people - at the next game those people infect a few more... Social distancing measures, masks, etc, in a stadium may help reduce the spread, but it is still going to spread... I would not want to be the person who has allergies or needs to sneeze in that place, with or without a mask.  I would not want to be near the guy yelling non-stop.  It would be a very different fan experience and I can't say any better than being at home - which is normally not the case.

Anyway, I for one will very likely forgo season tickets this year for the first time since the late 80s.  I am hoping that MU allows us to do so and not lose points for consecutive seasons.  For some of us that are a bit older, it just isn't worth the risk - and for those of us who come in contact with or have household members at high risk - attending a game cannot be morally or ethically justified - the trade off of potential serious harm to another to watch a game is something that is not in my wheel house and that I cannot justify.  Even in a low risk transmission, due to the extent of the risk, I cannot justify it.

Very well said. You ID'd the political component of the decision making and the question of adhering to or waiving aside proper testing, inherently a long range process, I believe is central. My guess is that we will see a lot of winging it regarding meds. There is simply too much pressure to "do something".

I still think we will see basketball in the Fall but as strange as it would be, there may be severe limits on the number of fans (if there are any allowed). Whether at a sporting event (especially one in an enclosed environment vs. a football stadium) or a concert, attendees are at high risk with sitting for 2.5 hours+ right next to someone who may carry the virus. Of course the same basic problem will be present in the classrooms. What will Marquette do?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2020, 11:15:13 AM »
Very well said. You ID'd the political component of the decision making and the question of adhering to or waiving aside proper testing, inherently a long range process, I believe is central. My guess is that we will see a lot of winging it regarding meds. There is simply too much pressure to "do something".

I still think we will see basketball in the Fall but as strange as it would be, there may be severe limits on the number of fans (if there are any allowed). Whether at a sporting event (especially one in an enclosed environment vs. a football stadium) or a concert, attendees are at high risk with sitting for 2.5 hours+ right next to someone who may carry the virus. Of course the same basic problem will be present in the classrooms. What will Marquette do?

What weird concerts are you going to where you're sitting for 2+ hrs?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2020, 11:38:35 AM »
Still do not understand the "we have to wait until a vaccine is found" argument.  On average, 60k die from the regular flu per year; less than half of the US choose to get the flu vaccine knowing that.  If we wait until not only a vaccine is found, but also until a majority of the population choose to get it, we will all be dead and buried long after that ever comes to fruition.  We certainly aren't going to look at mandatory vaccinations, either - good luck with that one. 

The virus is not attacking everyone equally.  It is very clear from the present death numbers appear to be more lethal to the elderly and those with comprised immune systems.  The numbers for children, young and mid-adults are very promising.  With each passing day, the "need" for a national/universal blanket stay at home order becomes less and less vital.  We will eventually evolve into targeted stay at-home guidelines (for those that are most at risk); however, even then, if there are those that choose to go outside, knowing the risks, there isn't really anything the government can do to prevent that IMO. 

Sports will return later this summer IMO, starting with baseball (definitely starting with no-to-limited fans).  ESPN published a story today that without sports this year, the economy will lose over $12 billion.  With unemployment approaching 40 million now, state governments will not be able to continue to enforce stay-at-home orders long-term.  Everything will have a trickle-down effect (look at what the NBA shutting down did to all sports).  Whichever the first league decides to commit to starting things back up, other leagues will follow; the only question will be who it will be. 

We will have college basketball this year. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »
Still do not understand the "we have to wait until a vaccine is found" argument.  On average, 60k die from the regular flu per year; less than half of the US choose to get the flu vaccine knowing that. 

Here's why: this isn't the flu. The flu kills 60k because our society has built in herd immunity, a vaccination, and known ways to counteract it once it takes hold. COVID-19 has killed that many in 2 months despite our best efforts to reduce transmission through distancing.

If we open up early, the spread will increase but the deaths will increase even more because the system will be overwhelmed. Hospitals are barely keeping up as is, if the infection rate spikes they will have to simply leave some people to die because they don't have the capacity or capability to deal with the increase.

Right now, COVID is basically up to a 9-11 every two days. It's killed more Americans than Vietnam. And that's with the radical measures we've taken to slow it. Remove those measures, go back to "normal" without a vaccine, and the struggles we've seen so far will be a drop in the bucket.

Once we have a vaccine, herd immunity, and treatments that have been scientifically vetted, then we can go back to something resembling the old normal without fear of losing 300-400k Americans per year, which is the pace we're currently on WITH distancing measures in place, assuming we are already past the peak and the approximate 1,000 deaths per day (64,715 since Feb 29, which was 65 days ago) proves to be the acceptable normal.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »
Very well stated, Brew ! ! !  8-)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »
Some things are just stated incorrect on here. Let's move back to schedule info!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:13:52 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »
Some things are just stated incorrect on here. Let's move back to schedule info!

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2020, 05:04:20 PM »

Bagpipers. I'm a masochist.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2020, 05:07:11 PM »
The Who  Rolling Stones Guns n' Roses  AC/DC all at least 3-4 hours when I saw them
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2020, 12:35:01 AM »
On average, 60k die from the regular flu per year

First, there is an entire board dedicated to the coronavirus, with numerous threads about numerous subjects. Second, this is just such a strawman argument.

From the CDC site: The CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in 12K to 61K U.S. deaths annually since 2010.

In other words, even on the very high end of that scale -- 61K -- there were fewer deaths in an entire year than there have been from COVID-19 in just about 6 weeks.

There were more than 50K documented coronavirus deaths in America in April alone, and most infectious disease experts think the number of deaths has been significantly underreported.

And all that is despite significant mitigation efforts. Had we treated COVID-19 the way we treat "the regular flu," there almost surely would be several hundred thousand dead by now, and we probably would be headed for well over 1M in a year's time.

So please stop comparing this to "the regular flu," because it's really nothing like it. And please, everybody, let's take this discussion to the COVID-19 board so we can talk about the 2020 schedule.

Oh, and BTW, I also think we will have college basketball this year. On that, we can agree.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2020, 12:48:42 AM »
If even one governor issues an order for state universities to stay closed in Fall, all sports are dead. Imagine Evers issuing such an order. If it isn't safe enough for students to be in classes, it isn't safe enough for student-athletes to compete in sports that require direct physical contact. There is absolutely zero chance of any sports being played for a school that isn't allowing in-person classes.

Then think about the domino effect. If Marquette, UW-Madison, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Milwaukee are all suspending play, that will lead to their leagues suspending play. The Big East and Big 10 can't play their conference schedules starting in November or December if two members aren't going to be involved. And they aren't going to have everyone else playing non-con games without some of their members. So now you have three leagues that will be completely out of the NCAA structure.

Further dominos...those teams all have contracts in place for non-con games. It would throw all the conferences they are engaged to play out of whack. The Big 12 and ACC both have challenge series in place. How do they go forward while losing those games? Then there are all the non-con tournies, guarantee games, and home-and-homes. All of those would go away and it would have a disparate effect on numerous leagues around the country. Just based on what we know of Marquette, the Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, MAAC, Patriot, A-10, and American would be immediately affected.

But it's not just Wisconsin. Consider that all of the following areas have either Democrat executives or proactive Republicans and if just one of them shut down on-campus activities for Fall 2020 it would put an end to the athletic events of at least three leagues: California, Colorado, Illnois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington, Washington DC, and Wisconsin.

The reality is that there will not be college sports without a vaccine. The earliest we could see a vaccine, the absolute earliest if all goes perfectly, is September, by which time universities will have already suspended Fall semesters. College football in 2020 is done. College basketball in 2020 is done. Not only that, but by pushing those revenue sports down the road, we will almost certainly see more schools go the route of Cincinnati. The Bearcats disbanding their soccer program was a trial balloon, there will be more that follow. I would be surprised if the NCAA 7/7 sports requirement was still in place 6 months from now. There will be lost jobs, scholarships, programs, and possibly even entire sports.

This isn't alarmism, it's realism. It's logically thinking through what it will take to get college sports up and running again. And the answer is a vaccine and open campuses. As we won't have both of those things until the Spring 2021 semester, we won't see college sports until January 2021. That's why we are seeing articles where executives from universities talk about suspending the Fall semester now. It's just like NIL. 7 months ago, the NCAA was threatening to kick schools from California and Florida out of the NCAA, today they are pushing a NIL plan through. Today, they are saying they will continue publicly while quietly sending out the indicators there won't be a Fall semester. Be realistic. College sports in 2020 are over.

To hell with trivial chit like sports. This country, as we knew it, is over, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback