'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lets talk Purdue  (Read 19747 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
Lets talk Purdue
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:56:07 AM »
6 Days away but I always get excited about these match ups. Last year I attended Buffalo, Wisconsin and K-State.

An interesting battle that no one is talking about is Haams the 7 ft 3 guy from Purdue against Theo John. That will be a junk yard dog battle down low.

I fully expect a win here if Howard is on but should be a good game regardless.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Lets talk Purdue
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:01:19 AM »
I am not very confident about this game and I have no idea why anyone would expect a win.  They are a top 25 team playing at home, and Marquette is Markus Howard and a bunch of unknowns.  I'm more worried about this turning into Indiana from last year more than anything.

And Haarms against John concerns me because of Theo's foul issues.  This is exactly the game where we needed Jayce, and unfortunately that's not going to happen.

I'd be surprised if we lose by only 10.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »
I am not very confident about this game and I have no idea why anyone would expect a win.  They are a top 25 team playing at home, and Marquette is Markus Howard and a bunch of unknowns.  I'm more worried about this turning into Indiana from last year more than anything.

And Haarms against John concerns me because of Theo's foul issues.  This is exactly the game where we needed Jayce, and unfortunately that's not going to happen.

You do know the game is @ Marquette right?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 08:09:08 AM »
Yeah, I have no idea why I screwed that up.  I knew that but somehow had in mind that we had two road games upcoming.

I'm still concerned and don't expect to win however. 

Thanks for pointing out my obvious error.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 08:13:00 AM »
Nojel Eastern is dinged up. Held out of the exhibition with a knee and was taken to the locker room for his wrist yesterday. Watched some of the Green Bay game and while they have some talent, I'm not convinced Proctor is a go-to guy at the high major level.

Both teams can defend, but I don't think they can score enough to beat us.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 08:18:06 AM »
They not only have Haarms, but also Trevion Williams and Evan Boudreaux inside.  I expected them to be more of an inside team this year, but Proctor went for 26 last night.  Eastern may be injured, but I expect lots of different looks at Markus.  Aaron Wheeler and Eric Hunter will also probably spend time guarding him.  This is a team that looks like a bad match up, but we shall see.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
It is all about Markus, when he is on MU will be fine, off, they lose. Purdue lost Carson Edwards, they do not have much fire power this year.  Watched the game last night, they are more physical but are not that talented.  No 3 point shooters. If Theo does not get into foul trouble, I can see an MU win.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
I feel like haarms has been there for at least 10 years

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 08:35:28 AM »
I feel like haarms has been there for at least 10 years

Probably because he's a clone of Isaac Haas before him.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
Wojo has been boat raced in these Gavitt Games. I’m expecting that to continue.  Just hoping we can keep it close.  So far each of these games have been a blow out.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »
Wojo has been boat raced in these Gavitt Games. I’m expecting that to continue.  Just hoping we can keep it close.  So far each of these games have been a blow out.

This is exactly what I was going to say.  Our track record in the Gavitt games, even at home, is horrendous.  No way I'm getting my hopes up for this one.  Hope I'm wrong.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
I'm looking forward to it because it's a new opportunity to bet with one of my kids.  My older daughter -- bless her heart -- was willing to agree to an MU/GU bet where she had to wear one of my MU shirts around campus after MU won.  I agreed to wear GU gear if they lost.  But I wear GU gear that she's given me from time to time anyway, so that's nothing.  I'm going to try to make the same bet with my PU daughter, but I don't think she'll fall for that.  She's going to want something from me.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 08:51:47 AM »
Yah, but Haarms is a whole lot skinnier than Haas. ;)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 08:51:59 AM »
Purdue lost 3 starters who combined to average 94 minutes and 42 points per game. Included in that trio was their version of Markus Howard. Their "unknown" factor is greater than ours. As Brew pointed out, their best player (Eastern) is dinged. We're at home. I assume we'll be slight favorites. If Fluffy is right (Purdue wins in a blow out) I'll be surprised and disappointed.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 09:17:24 AM »
Both teams can defend, but I don't think they can score enough to beat us.

They can if MU isn't stronger with the basketball than they were Tuesday.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »
Watched some of game last night. A lot of lengrh on perimeter. Dont like that one bit.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »
If we had Jayce in the mix I'd say 60/40 MU, without him Haarms might be too much if Theo gets in foul trouble.

Good game for Koby to step up as a legit #2 option and hopefully Greg & Brendan's threes are dropping

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »

It’s disgusting Indiana schools get away with this. How many Harangodey clones were there at ND?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 09:44:41 AM »
Under Wojo, MU is 0-5 in the first B1G games (Gavitt or not) of the season.  Wojo is also 1-4 in BE lidlifters. Time to change this.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:00:42 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 12:10:29 PM »
Yah, but Haarms is a whole lot skinnier than Haas. ;)

Which one was the OCD hair flipper?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 09:13:49 PM »
If we had Jayce in the mix I'd say 60/40 MU, without him Haarms might be too much if Theo gets in foul trouble.

Good game for Koby to step up as a legit #2 option and hopefully Greg & Brendan's threes are dropping

No Sacar love?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 04:58:27 AM »
Yeah, I have no idea why I screwed that up.  I knew that but somehow had in mind that we had two road games upcoming.

I'm still concerned and don't expect to win however. 

Thanks for pointing out my obvious error.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 05:00:57 AM »

Your comment is obviously flawed as we play them at home in Milwaukee and will beat them by ten.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 09:26:17 AM »
This will be a good test for Theo. You've got to think Painter will go at Theo early to see if they can get him to pick up a few quick fouls to get him out of the game. It's hard for me to remember much about Haarms' game with all the hair flipping burned in my brain, but from what I do recall, I don't think he's got a ton of offensive ability. He's huge, so that's always going to be an advantage, but Theo's strength and athleticism should help to offset that. If Theo can manage to stay out of foul trouble, this could be a fun matchup to watch.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 09:38:26 AM »
The Busting Brackets pre-season review has a good preview for the Purdue matchup. If Markus gets hot and our defense holds up, I think we can reverse some of the ugly trends noted in the preview.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/06/28/marquette-basketball-reviewing-2019-20-non-conference-schedule/3/

feedback