[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference BET Results  (Read 321518 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1200 on: January 09, 2020, 02:50:17 PM »
Yup, you are right.  I was referring strictly to the Big East standings, not the NCAA tournament chances.  This was probably the wrong thread for that post.

Honestly, the whole league is a mess. Butler is the only team I trust, which is shocking because I'm still not a Kamar Baldwin fan. Creighton can look like world-beaters, but squandered that 'Nova lead and got hammered by SDSU (who is good, but not beat you by 31 good). Villanova can play with anyone on their day, but have also looked really vulnerable at times (OSU, at Marquette). And while people like Seton Hall, when they have been at their best, they still lost (MSU, Oregon) and they have played way too close to teams they should beat comfortably.

I agree that much of the league will end up in that 7-11 to 11-7 range. It wouldn't surprise me if 12 games won the league outright.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1201 on: January 09, 2020, 05:56:15 PM »
Creighton was impressive coming back the next night in beating Texas Tech after getting hammered by San Diego State. Also, followed that up with wins over Nebraska, Oklahoma and Arizona State.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1202 on: January 09, 2020, 06:04:46 PM »
Creighton was impressive coming back the next night in beating Texas Tech after getting hammered by San Diego State. Also, followed that up with wins over Nebraska, Oklahoma and Arizona State.

I mean, they're a tourney team, sure, but would anyone put money on them being a second weekend team? In the same boat as us and just about the entire league not named Butler.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: January 09, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
I mean, they're a tourney team, sure, but would anyone put money on them being a second weekend team? In the same boat as us and just about the entire league not named Butler.
I believe it's been since 1975 they been a 2nd weekend team. I would not bet on it that the streak will end to answer your question.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: January 09, 2020, 06:17:53 PM »
I mean, they're a tourney team, sure, but would anyone put money on them being a second weekend team?

#crapshoot
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1205 on: January 09, 2020, 06:27:28 PM »
I believe it's been since 1975 they been a 2nd weekend team. I would not bet on it that the streak will end to answer your question.

The league is really strong in the middle and bottom, but I'm not sure how strong it really is at the top. Butler seems to be legit, especially with their 1-point loss at Baylor (maybe their most impressive performance). But after them, I think anyone in the league could make the field, anyone could make a second weekend, anyone could just as easily lose their first game.

It's the classic knock people have against our league. When it comes to advancing, we're Villanova and no one else. All of these teams are really talented, but until we have one of those years where we place 4 teams in the Sweet 16 and 2 in the Final Four, we won't get the same respect leagues like the Big 10 and ACC get (deserved or not). Maybe it's my lack of confidence in this Marquette team's inconsistency that is permeating to my impression of the entire league, but this feels an awful lot like 2017 where we had 7 bids but the only teams that made the second weekend were a Butler team that beat a 13 and 12 to get there and the lowest-seeded team in the league, Xavier, somehow lucking into an Elite 8 by beating the worst (per Pomeroy) 6, worst 3 and worst 2 to get there before Gonzaga beat them like a drum.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #1206 on: January 09, 2020, 06:39:01 PM »
The league is really strong in the middle and bottom, but I'm not sure how strong it really is at the top. Butler seems to be legit, especially with their 1-point loss at Baylor (maybe their most impressive performance). But after them, I think anyone in the league could make the field, anyone could make a second weekend, anyone could just as easily lose their first game.

It's the classic knock people have against our league. When it comes to advancing, we're Villanova and no one else. All of these teams are really talented, but until we have one of those years where we place 4 teams in the Sweet 16 and 2 in the Final Four, we won't get the same respect leagues like the Big 10 and ACC get (deserved or not). Maybe it's my lack of confidence in this Marquette team's inconsistency that is permeating to my impression of the entire league, but this feels an awful lot like 2017 where we had 7 bids but the only teams that made the second weekend were a Butler team that beat a 13 and 12 to get there and the lowest-seeded team in the league, Xavier, somehow lucking into an Elite 8 by beating the worst (per Pomeroy) 6, worst 3 and worst 2 to get there before Gonzaga beat them like a drum.

That's parity folks. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1207 on: January 09, 2020, 06:48:17 PM »

The tournament is a crapshot, so I wouldn't read too much in 2017.  But there are 10 teams in this league that could play 2nd weekend in ncaa tournament.  Not saying all 10 will get there, obviously.  The ACC is down.  The SEC is down.  The Pac12 is the Pac12.  Big Ten is deep, similar to the BE in that there are no easy games outside of NW.  B12 isn't as good as it has been. No great teams.  Markus is the type of guy that could go bonkers in a setting like that. But he needs help.

Big East is legit.  Going 9-9 is going to be tough, but I think they can do it. With our noncon, that'll be plenty good for a 10 seed.  It just sucks with where we all hoped we'd be this season. I expect this place to be unbearable when we lose on Saturday.  Still think we can get to 9-9, @SHU was always going to be a loss.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: January 09, 2020, 06:51:57 PM »
What do you mean always going to be a loss. Very possible to pull out a win. Likely ? No. 40%ish? Sure

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1209 on: January 09, 2020, 06:57:55 PM »
What do you mean always going to be a loss. Very possible to pull out a win. Likely ? No. 40%ish? Sure

I mean that I have very little expectation for a win.  Even before PC.  Of course MU CAN win.  But they should be at least 5 points dogs, against a team that is tougher than nails - a trait MU has struggled against for years - on the road over the weekend.  Just don't see a W as a likely scenario....but many here will act like the season is over when it happens.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: January 10, 2020, 12:31:21 AM »
I mean that I have very little expectation for a win.  Even before PC.  Of course MU CAN win.  But they should be at least 5 points dogs, against a team that is tougher than nails - a trait MU has struggled against for years - on the road over the weekend.  Just don't see a W as a likely scenario....but many here will act like the season is over when it happens.

Think MU will play them tough but ultimately lose. We get them in a good spot after a nice road win and before an away game at Butler.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1211 on: January 10, 2020, 10:02:05 PM »
Butler 55 Cooley & Company 44 448 lett
l
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: January 10, 2020, 10:54:40 PM »

If Marquette can steal one at SH tomorrow and then go on a little run beating X at home then GTown road and StJs at home, the Butler game at their place might be not be too critical. Even 3-1 in that stretch gets Marquette above .500 before the Butler battle. And who knows....... Butler has a tough road game with Villanova right before playing us, and we have a beatable DePaul team at home.

My eternal optimist is is high gear tonight.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: January 11, 2020, 08:32:39 AM »
Butler 55 Cooley & Company 44 448 lett
l

Butler had little trouble at Providence, getting out to a double digit lead early and winning by double digits.

Glass eaters. 44-26 on the boards.

Providence missed its first 13 shots and shot poorly. The closest they were able to make the game was 8 after being down by 12 at half.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: January 11, 2020, 11:05:25 AM »
Four games today. See the schedule thread pinned at the top.
Two games on right now. One on FS1 and the other on your local FSN station.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:07:25 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: January 11, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
If Marquette can steal one at SH tomorrow and then go on a little run beating X at home then GTown road and StJs at home, the Butler game at their place might be not be too critical. Even 3-1 in that stretch gets Marquette above .500 before the Butler battle. And who knows....... Butler has a tough road game with Villanova right before playing us, and we have a beatable DePaul team at home.

My eternal optimist is is high gear tonight.
big IF

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: January 11, 2020, 11:30:10 AM »
big IF

Yeah, hence the comment at the end.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: January 11, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
A lot of value is placed on a tournament where one game determines the result. I'd rather MU become a competitive team during the conference season every year than have one win in the NCAA tournament but the regular season is bad.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1219 on: January 11, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »
Johnnies up 66-54 7 minutes left second
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: January 11, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
Assuming we aren't going to compete for the conference title, which seems likely, every Nova win is a good one for us.

Nova takes care of Georgetown at home.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: January 11, 2020, 01:05:39 PM »
Assuming we aren't going to compete for the conference title, which seems likely, every Nova win is a good one for us.

Nova takes care of Georgetown at home.

After the PC game I'll take any bit of positive news I can get.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1222 on: January 11, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »
500th career win for McDermott, good road win for Creighton over X
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback