[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference BET Results  (Read 321425 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #950 on: December 22, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
Good quality win for X on the road over TCU
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #951 on: December 22, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
Providence would miss out. St John's & Seton Hall would be on the bubble. The rest would be safely in.
What's holding St. John's back that 9-9 only puts them on the bubble? Wins over UA and WVU. Vermont game hurting them?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #952 on: December 22, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
Do they all make the tourney?
My guess is it would come down to the composition of each teams 9-9 record. NCAA committee said last year they put high weighting on quality wins.

The beauty of the league this year is there are so many opportunities to build the resume .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #953 on: December 22, 2019, 08:09:47 PM »
What's holding St. John's back that 9-9 only puts them on the bubble? Wins over UA and WVU. Vermont game hurting them?

Look at the rest of their wins. That NCSOS sucks and is similar to the one that had them in the First Four a year ago.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #954 on: December 22, 2019, 09:13:21 PM »
Davidson and USC with nice wins this weekend. Would be nice for both of them to jump up a few spots in Kenpom/NET

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #955 on: December 22, 2019, 09:45:51 PM »
I have the Big East at 30-15 vs power 5 Conferences.
Unprecedented.

Values = Kenpom
30 Marquette 3-2
21 Seton Hall 2-3
27 Xavier 2-2
78 Providence 1-2
83 St Johns 2-1
62 DePaul 5-0
38 Georgetown 3-1
19 Villanova 2-2
7 Butler 6-1
46 Creighton 4-1

Versus
SEC      5-3
ACC      2-3
Big 12   11-3
Pac 12   4-2
Big 10   8-5

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #956 on: December 22, 2019, 09:56:51 PM »
Look at the rest of their wins. That NCSOS sucks and is similar to the one that had them in the First Four a year ago.
All that is taken into the NET ranking and they are ahead of us.......
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #957 on: December 22, 2019, 10:10:49 PM »
All that is taken into the NET ranking and they are ahead of us.......

Not really, because conference play hasn't started yet. Right now, the NET takes virtually no conference data into account. Once it does, the 280-spot (give or take) difference in our NCSOS will matter.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #958 on: December 22, 2019, 10:17:31 PM »
Not really, because conference play hasn't started yet. Right now, the NET takes virtually no conference data into account. Once it does, the 280-spot (give or take) difference in our NCSOS will matter.
Why will it matter? All teams in the conference play the exact same conference schedule.   The NCSOS is already baked into the numbers now. Last year the numbers did not materially change in conference other than through conference wins and losses.

What matters in Conference is who you beat and where you beat them.

The other factor that is very important is Q1 wins. The NCAA Chairman emphasized that last year in the interview after the selection show.
                       ---Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #959 on: December 22, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
Sad,y there are posters on this board that think this, let alone on other boards which I would expect.

Who? I have not seen much of that on this board.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #960 on: December 23, 2019, 06:09:20 AM »
Why will it matter? All teams in the conference play the exact same conference schedule.   The NCSOS is already baked into the numbers now. Last year the numbers did not materially change in conference other than through conference wins and losses.

You're wrong, and here's the easiest evidence I can give you. When Seton Hall beat Maryland, our NET dropped from 50 to 58. Even though we play SHU twice and that will ultimately help us, in the moment it hurt us because NET doesn't have conference play factored in.

So when Central Connecticut, Mercer, Colombia, Brown, St Peter's, & Wagner (all St John's opponents projected to finish bottom 3 in league) go get crap-kicked in conference play to weaker opponents, their NET will drop just like ours did when Maryland lost.

Yes, performing in our own league will help and the quality of Big East play on an even field will raise all ranks, but who you played matters because your ranking can be dramatically impacted by the results of those non-con performances.

If you think non-con doesn't impact this once you get to conference play, I'd refer you to last year's St John's. The Johnnies finished lower in the NET than Butler or Providence despite having a better non-con and Big East record than either of them. They also finished behind Seton Hall & Xavier despite a 1-loss Big East difference despite a 2-loss & 4-loss non-con record difference. That's because St John's played a dogcrap schedule that dragged them down once teams got into conference play.

If it was all even once conference play starts, St John's should've been ahead of all of those teams comfortably. But they schedule like crap, so there you go.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #961 on: December 23, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »

What matters in Conference is who you beat and where you beat them.

The other factor that is very important is Q1 wins. The NCAA Chairman emphasized that last year in the interview after the selection show.

It isn’t about who you play in conference it is about who your non-conference opponents play in conference. When the cupcakes that you feasted on get light up in conference their Net goes down causing your Net to get dragged down as well.

In non conference the cupcakes typically have harder strength of schedules as they need to play the big guys and with the buy games but that drops come conference time comes around. In their conferences they play 18 games against other mediocre teams.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #962 on: December 23, 2019, 01:36:35 PM »
Without doing any research I'm going to say this past weekend was the best non-conference weekend ever for the current Big East.  Thursday to Sunday the BE was 11-0 with wins over Kansas, Maryland, Purdue, Arizona, TCU, Texas, Arizona State, and Northwestern.  Great for the conference and shows that there will be no easy games this year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #963 on: December 23, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »
You're wrong, and here's the easiest evidence I can give you. When Seton Hall beat Maryland, our NET dropped from 50 to 58. Even though we play SHU twice and that will ultimately help us, in the moment it hurt us because NET doesn't have conference play factored in.

So when Central Connecticut, Mercer, Colombia, Brown, St Peter's, & Wagner (all St John's opponents projected to finish bottom 3 in league) go get crap-kicked in conference play to weaker opponents, their NET will drop just like ours did when Maryland lost.

Yes, performing in our own league will help and the quality of Big East play on an even field will raise all ranks, but who you played matters because your ranking can be dramatically impacted by the results of those non-con performances.

If you think non-con doesn't impact this once you get to conference play, I'd refer you to last year's St John's. The Johnnies finished lower in the NET than Butler or Providence despite having a better non-con and Big East record than either of them. They also finished behind Seton Hall & Xavier despite a 1-loss Big East difference despite a 2-loss & 4-loss non-con record difference. That's because St John's played a dogcrap schedule that dragged them down once teams got into conference play.

If it was all even once conference play starts, St John's should've been ahead of all of those teams comfortably. But they schedule like crap, so there you go.
What I am saying is the dog meat opponents are already at the bottom. They can’t get materially worse. The NET action is most prevalent in beating good opponents . That is why  when Cooley & Company beat Texas they had a huge jump up.

The reason The Johnnies NET tanked last year is because they sucked in conference and got their ass handed to them by DePaul and X twice who were two of the worst NET teams in the conference .
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #964 on: December 23, 2019, 03:54:11 PM »
What I am saying is the dog meat opponents are already at the bottom. They can’t get materially worse. The NET action is most prevalent in beating good opponents . That is why  when Cooley & Company beat Texas they had a huge jump up.

The reason The Johnnies NET tanked last year is because they sucked in conference and got their ass handed to them by DePaul and X twice who were two of the worst NET teams in the conference .

10-8 and we are dancing?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #965 on: December 23, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »
What I am saying is the dog meat opponents are already at the bottom.

No, what you are saying is you don't understand how the math works.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #966 on: December 23, 2019, 05:24:04 PM »
10-8 and we are dancing?
Lead cinch lock.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #967 on: December 23, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #968 on: December 23, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
No, what you are saying is you don't understand how the math works.
Based on tracking it daily last year, By the end of non conference season, the NET rankings , for the most part, lock in and change is primarily from a schools individual performance . Yes there may be some variance due to non con teams  played materially changing their trajectory but that is minimal .  Also once non conference is done, everyone has locked in their quality non con wins.

The only source of quality wins then becomes intra conference, The Big East has the benefit of nearly every game being a q1 q2 (depending on how well Providence does). That is where the primary action will be.

Also just for the record , rather than making an ad hominem attack, I will just say that no one knows how the math works because it has not been published.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #969 on: December 23, 2019, 07:50:54 PM »
Without doing any research I'm going to say this past weekend was the best non-conference weekend ever for the current Big East.  Thursday to Sunday the BE was 11-0 with wins over Kansas, Maryland, Purdue, Arizona, TCU, Texas, Arizona State, and Northwestern.  Great for the conference and shows that there will be no easy games this year.

Did about the same the weekend before.  How BE is not the #1 rated conference idk.  Did BE sweep the BE v. B12?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #970 on: December 23, 2019, 10:13:06 PM »
10-8 and we are dancing?
That would require us to sweep at least one team. I just do not see a sweep happening. There are no easy road games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #971 on: December 23, 2019, 10:15:09 PM »
That would require us to sweep at least one team. I just do not see a sweep happening. There are no easy road games.

I’d bet a lot of money that we’ll sweep at least one team. Doesn’t mean we go 10-8 or even better. But I’d be shocked if we didn’t sweep at least one team and get swept by at least one team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #972 on: December 23, 2019, 11:02:13 PM »
Excellent Research Report on the Big East . Chronicles each team recent performance.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-12-23/how-big-east-has-put-college-basketball-alert
                       ---Al McGuire

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #973 on: December 24, 2019, 08:11:22 AM »
9/10 Big East teams in AP poll as either ranked or also receiving votes. 
Early, but yowsah. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #974 on: December 24, 2019, 08:20:29 AM »
Excellent Research Report on the Big East . Chronicles each team recent performance.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-12-23/how-big-east-has-put-college-basketball-alert

Impressive.  I’m prepared for scoop meltdowns, meat summit “I told you so’s”, and absolute elation during this conference season.  Will be a ton of fun.  Would take 10-8 now and a run in both tournaments.  Merry Christmas everybody!