[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference BET Results  (Read 321540 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1375 on: January 22, 2020, 11:49:38 PM »
I'm sure the namesake of the KKK's former Grand Wizard appreciates your support.

Byrd?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1376 on: January 23, 2020, 12:22:29 AM »
I can't believe parents of the Duke kid on Providence named him David. I guess they didn't like "Adolph."

It's terrible.  Though, it wouldn't be as bad as like, wearing something from Hugo Boss.  Or driving in a VW ( or Audi), or BMW, or Porsche though right?  And I hope your portfolio doesn't include Siemens.  What kind of message does that send?

Maybe give the kid a break on his name.  I know I certainly had never heard of David Duke in 1999.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1377 on: January 23, 2020, 06:14:37 AM »
I'm sure the namesake of the KKK's former Grand Wizard appreciates your support.
You do realize David Duke from Providence is African American? Why would he change his name because of some other POS with the same name.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1378 on: January 23, 2020, 06:36:29 AM »
You do realize David Duke from Providence is African American? Why would he change his name because of some other POS with the same name.
Hmmm....lots of politics here.
Still waiting for a top 50 recruit named Hitler.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1379 on: January 23, 2020, 06:43:47 AM »

I wouldn't expect the kid to change his name. But I am surprised the parents used that name. I think people are generally cognizant of famous people that share their surname. I'd be willing to wager that if your last name is "Duke", you are more likely to have heard of the former David Duke. It just seems an odd choice. Parents put time into picking names, I can't imagine giving one without examining all the angles. And if he's named after his father, I would think that would be less of a reason as the father already had to deal with being another David Duke all his life.

Just like Office Space, I fully get that the "why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks?" aspect of this, but if it turns out a white supremacist shares my name, I'm certainly not giving my son the same name so he has to bear that all his life too.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1381 on: January 23, 2020, 07:28:34 AM »
I wouldn't expect the kid to change his name. But I am surprised the parents used that name. I think people are generally cognizant of famous people that share their surname. I'd be willing to wager that if your last name is "Duke", you are more likely to have heard of the former David Duke. It just seems an odd choice. Parents put time into picking names, I can't imagine giving one without examining all the angles. And if he's named after his father, I would think that would be less of a reason as the father already had to deal with being another David Duke all his life.

Just like Office Space, I fully get that the "why should I change my name, he's the one that sucks?" aspect of this, but if it turns out a white supremacist shares my name, I'm certainly not giving my son the same name so he has to bear that all his life too.

This.

But this did crack me up ...

I actually think it's great.

I can just imagine the look on some racist POS face when he clicks on a news article just because of the name and is greeted by the Friars David Dukes smiling face. Classic.

But seriously ...

David Duke the KKK leader would have advocated lynching David Duke the basketball player, or burning down his church, or putting a flaming cross in his yard.

So it goes back to what brewski said. If our last name happened to be Dahmer, my wife and I would have named our son ANYTHING but Jeffrey. And if my parents had been brain-dead and named me Jeffrey Dahmer, I'd have changed my name.

But hey, it's David Duke's (the hoopster) life, and I wish him success (except when he plays against Marquette).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1383 on: January 24, 2020, 07:35:48 AM »
Excellent research report chronicling the development of Romaro Gill. 

https://nypost.com/2020/01/22/how-romaro-gill-grew-into-seton-halls-unstoppable-force/
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: January 24, 2020, 08:14:00 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: January 24, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »
Excellent research report chronicling the development of Romaro Gill. 

https://nypost.com/2020/01/22/how-romaro-gill-grew-into-seton-halls-unstoppable-force/

Thanks for posting. Wow, that is an amazing story. I have certainly noticed the game to game improvement Gill is making lately, but had no idea of his backstory. One of the things I love about the size of the current Big East and the round robin schedule is how well you get to know the opposing teams, coaches and some of the players' stories. Some you can't stand, some you grow to appreciate and some you can't help but like.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1387 on: January 24, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
Rocket - removed your post and replies.   Maybe you don't intend it that way, but saying things like that counts as hate speech in my book.  Don't do it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: January 24, 2020, 11:37:13 AM »
Thank you, Rocky.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1389 on: January 24, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
Looks like I missed some fireworks
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: January 24, 2020, 12:36:12 PM »
Thank you, Rocky.

^^^ and this gf individual's signature counts as politics in everyone's book. Remove it or ban
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: January 24, 2020, 12:37:48 PM »
^^^ and this gf individual's signature counts as politics in everyone's book. Remove it or ban

Gf?
Maigh Eo for Sam

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1392 on: January 24, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
Or Bernard

["Bernard" = Adolph Hitler, David Duke and Fidel Castro.] 

Ooohh....politics!!!!  How fun!  Isn't it just awesome!!

So clever, Cheeks.  (Wait for the denials..."I never compared Bernie Sanders to Adolph Hitler...I just said Bernard--I meant Bernard Toone.  And I was comparing him to college basketball players David Duke, Adolph Rupp (well...) and Fidel Woods of Jackson State")

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: January 24, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
Oooooh boy. This thread is about to get good.

Popcorn.gif

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1395 on: January 24, 2020, 01:36:48 PM »
True story:

When I was in high school, I dated a girl whose father was the biggest bigot I had ever met to that point in my young life. My senior year in college, my mom sent me a newspaper article he was featured in -- as having been de-hooded. Turns out he was the Imperial Wizard of the Connecticut KKK.

Hell, I just googled his name, and several articles popped up. Here's one of them:

https://apnews.com/0646450eba57e96c84a2165f74acd77b

"I Dated A Klansman's Daughter" ... Sounds like I've got a country song to write!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: January 24, 2020, 01:43:15 PM »

"I Dated A Klansman's Daughter" ... Sounds like I've got a country song to write!
Be careful, in some areas that Daughter would also be your sister. So you would be outing your father.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1397 on: January 24, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
Rocket - removed your post and replies.   Maybe you don't intend it that way, but saying things like that counts as hate speech in my book.  Don't do it.

You’re absolutely right rockie did not mean it as hate speech thank you for the mulligan
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: January 24, 2020, 08:08:56 PM »
Sadly, I think Butler by 12 tonight.

feedback