[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: College Sports = Extended Slavery  (Read 20693 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: College Sports = Extended Slavery
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2019, 06:36:12 PM »
  our country's history with slavery-it was legal, we correctly noted it was wrong, we acted to abolish it and did.  people are wasting time trying to revisit our history of slavery and re-litigate it to a certain extent while ignoring the sex and drug slavery that is going on today.  that being said, the legalization of weed has not had near the so called "intended consequences" the advocates continue to claim.  in fact, i continue to believe, as my aforementioned post stated in so many words, we need to go back to defining and stigmatizing bad behavior. 

galway, having needles strewn anywhere is a problem.  i read a story somewhere, where a kid slid into 2nd base on a ball field and was stuck by a needle.  the way to attend to a problem such as this is not to encourage more bad or problematic behavior, but to make available more treatment.  the availability of fentanyl is catastrophic.  drug addicts flock to dealers who have provided batches of heroin that have led to overdoses.  it's usually laced with fentanyl.  it takes such small quantities of fentanyl to give the user it's deadly boost, making it easier to conceal and smuggle.  i continue to believe pot is a gateway drug and many more people are taking it in some form that wouldn't have otherwise.  i believe there are real benefits to medical maryjane however.  real medical issues, not hang nails
Unfortunately it took a civil war. Before where I live was part of the US it was abolished by the state without any violence as in most places, and unfortunately in this country segregation continued until late 60's and is in the cusp of coming back.
Goal is National Championship

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2019, 07:37:46 PM »
Unfortunately it took a civil war. Before where I live was part of the US it was abolished by the state without any violence as in most places, and unfortunately in this country segregation continued until late 60's and is in the cusp of coming back.
Lol segregation is not on the cusp of coming back. Jfc.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2019, 08:50:15 PM »
The idea that you can just walk away doesn't hold water. Unless your rich it's not a realistic opportunity. A player said recently it doesn't matter how much you make, if you don't have realistic options, you're still a slave (paraphrase). The same issue could be posed regarding an non-union job. This all would be moot if we had free education for all, like other advanced countries.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2019, 09:14:46 PM »
Obviously you're unaware of the state of the US. When I try to use my ID which is not from the 48 contiguous states I get challenged questioned and hassled and that never happened to me since I traveled in the early 70's. You just don't understand what is happening. I don't live in the mainland. Things have changed like we are back 49-50 years in time as I travel to the mainland. There is an agenda.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2019, 09:17:20 PM »

You’re right. De facto segregation never really left.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2019, 09:58:25 PM »

Charlotte schools are as segregated now as they were in the 1970s, and the problem is increasing every year.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/education/report-charlotte-mecklenburg-schools-most-segregated-in-nc/275-529759454

And Charlotte is hardly the only major city in which this is the case.

https://www.newsweek.com/2018/03/30/school-segregation-america-today-bad-1960-855256.html?src=longreads
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »
The idea that you can just walk away doesn't hold water. Unless your rich it's not a realistic opportunity. A player said recently it doesn't matter how much you make, if you don't have realistic options, you're still a slave (paraphrase). The same issue could be posed regarding an non-union job. This all would be moot if we had free education for all, like other advanced countries.

No such thing as free, it costs money unless professors and admins are not being paid.  Higher taxes, etc...nothing is free in life. 

College is not free in most advanced countries.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2019, 10:27:11 PM »
Odd considering who runs Charlotte...so odd...

Politics.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »
Politics.

The irony in your posts in this thread...the amazing irony.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2019, 10:41:13 PM »
Odd considering who runs Charlotte...so odd...
Yeah but USA is one of the most uneducated first world countries. Don't even know where states are located, it is sad and unfortunate.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2019, 10:52:43 PM »
Obviously you're unaware of the state of the US. When I try to use my ID which is not from the 48 contiguous states I get challenged questioned and hassled and that never happened to me since I traveled in the early 70's. You just don't understand what is happening. I don't live in the mainland. Things have changed like we are back 49-50 years in time as I travel to the mainland. There is an agenda.

Newsy, we're just trying to keep YOU out.  You understand.  :o

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2019, 11:02:56 PM »
Isn’t all k-12 education free in this country except for private schools?  Hmmm....interesting.

Nothing is free in life

muguru

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2019, 11:21:07 PM »
Nothing is free in life

You're right, it shouldn't be. But there's certain members of society(and unfortunately millions of them), that want/expect things to be free.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2019, 07:22:38 AM »
Newsy, we're just trying to keep YOU out.  You understand.  :o

+1kabillionjillionzillion.  ;D

IBF the effin L

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2019, 07:38:39 AM »
You're right, it shouldn't be. But there's certain members of society(and unfortunately millions of them), that want/expect things to be free.

Like the labor of college athletes.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2019, 07:42:31 AM »

Is it because it has a picture of McLovin on it?

feedback