[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: College Sports = Extended Slavery  (Read 20775 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: College Sports = Extended Slavery
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »
You basically agree with and support his premise.

Let's all move on.

How do you figure? I don't agree with any premise meant to minimize our country's role with slavery.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
  people seem to want to ignore the fact that slavery still exists today.  why aren't people going after the drug and the sex industry with the same zeal.  it seems we, as a society have been leaning more to the diminishment of "bad behavior" than in the past.  either by giving it more excuses or just outright throwing their collective hands up.  we used to stigmatize bad behavior which i believe had at least some deleterious affects.  back in the "just say no to drugs" days, many will say that it had no affect.  today we don't even seem to bother. for heroin addicts, they are putting up "safe" places to inject, giving out "free" needles. that is not preventing people from dying.  not to detract from my main premise here, but i believe the legalization of pot is being majorly minimized.  so we are more concerned with kids vaping(leaving the straight THC out of it) than recognizing that it is legal to get high. the legalization of pot has had to have introduced it to many who would not have otherwise considered doing it on a semi-regular basis like "having a beer".  if you talk to those directly involved with the "side effects" of the legalization of weed, it's not working out nearly the way all the pot prognosticators told us it would...we didn't need one more substance to F'udge up society.

What does legalization of weed have to do with being honest about our country's history with slavery?
TAMU

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »
I agree about the use of words like "slavery" and "lynching" when they are inaccurate. They are such highly charged words, and the points in that article would have been made just fine without that language.

Exactly.  And that is precisely what makes the difference between an actual journalist and an attention-starved freelancer. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »
What does legalization of weed have to do with being honest about our country's history with slavery?

I believe that would be the "look over here at this shiny object" method of avoiding the topic.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
How do you figure? I don't agree with any premise meant to minimize our country's role with slavery.
I'm confused. Your statistics don't support his assertion that "most Americans did not own anybody"?

Anyway, everyone knows slavery is a horrible institution perpetrated by people of all races throughout all of human history. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2019, 12:09:06 PM »

our country's history with slavery-it was legal, we correctly noted it was wrong, we acted to abolish it and did.  people are wasting time trying to revisit our history of slavery and re-litigate it to a certain extent while ignoring the sex and drug slavery that is going on today.  that being said, the legalization of weed has not had near the so called "intended consequences" the advocates continue to claim.  in fact, i continue to believe, as my aforementioned post stated in so many words, we need to go back to defining and stigmatizing bad behavior. 

galway, having needles strewn anywhere is a problem.  i read a story somewhere, where a kid slid into 2nd base on a ball field and was stuck by a needle.  the way to attend to a problem such as this is not to encourage more bad or problematic behavior, but to make available more treatment.  the availability of fentanyl is catastrophic.  drug addicts flock to dealers who have provided batches of heroin that have led to overdoses.  it's usually laced with fentanyl.  it takes such small quantities of fentanyl to give the user it's deadly boost, making it easier to conceal and smuggle.  i continue to believe pot is a gateway drug and many more people are taking it in some form that wouldn't have otherwise.  i believe there are real benefits to medical maryjane however.  real medical issues, not hang nails
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
I'm confused. Your statistics don't support his assertion that "most Americans did not own anybody"?

They don't support his assertion that .02% of Americans owned slavery. My assertion is that the actual number was around 24,500% bigger than the one he gave. And when you look at family units and households the number is actually 125,000% bigger than the one he gave.

Anyway, everyone knows slavery is a horrible institution perpetrated by people of all races throughout all of human history.

But the only race to take it to the scale of the transatlantic slave trade was white people enslaving black people.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2019, 12:20:45 PM »
  our country's history with slavery-it was legal, we correctly noted it was wrong, we acted to abolish it and did.  people are wasting time trying to revisit our history of slavery and re-litigate it to a certain extent while ignoring the sex and drug slavery that is going on today.  that being said, the legalization of weed has not had near the so called "intended consequences" the advocates continue to claim.  in fact, i continue to believe, as my aforementioned post stated in so many words, we need to go back to defining and stigmatizing bad behavior. 

How is a bunch of bums on an internet forum having a conversation about our nation's history with slavery taking away from stopping the sex and drug slavery industry of today?
TAMU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »
They don't support his assertion that .02% of Americans owned slavery. My assertion is that the actual number was around 24,500% bigger than the one he gave. And when you look at family units and households the number is actually 125,000% bigger than the one he gave.

But the only race to take it to the scale of the transatlantic slave trade was white people enslaving black people.

You are being purposefully inflammatory with the % above. Anyone with a 3rd grade education can see right through your act.  I didn't call it out before to be kind, but everyone saw how you conveniently took the scope of ownership from Americans to the significantly smaller pool of population in slave states only.

Your hatred toward white people is equally as distasteful as any racist bias exhibited durring slavery.

I hope you can find love in your heart for all humans someday. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:13:52 PM by WhiteTrash »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
You are being purposefully inflammatory with the % above. Anyone with a 3rd grade education can see right through your act.  I didn't call it out before to be kind, but everyone saw how you conveniently took the scope of ownership from Americans to the significantly smaller pool of population in slave states only.

Your hatred toward white people is equally as distasteful as any racist bias exhibited durring slavery.

He was certainly using stats to advance his position but the bolded is one of the most idiotic statements ever put on here. And that's saying quite a lot. But is in line with your user name
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »

Weed was not made illegal because it was dangerous, bad, or because it was bad behavior. I encourage you to read the history on this. At the time it was widely used in medicine. It was made illegal for purely political reasons. To demonize and illegitimatize specific segments of the population.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2019, 01:06:25 PM »
You are being purposefully inflammatory with the % above.

So when I post accurate statistics, I'm being purposefully inflammatory. Why didn't you have the same reaction when the person I quoted used inaccurate statistics?

but everyone saw how you conveniently took the scope of ownership from Americans to the significantly smaller pool of population in slave states only.

Of course everyone saw, I was very clear about what data I was using. It wasn't a secret. I focused on the percentages in states where it was actually legal. Why would I include data from states where it was illegal? Doing that would be purposefully skewing the stats the other way.

Is your argument that me providing data about slavery in the US is more racist than slavery? I gotta say I disagree.
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2019, 01:11:01 PM »

????

I don’t think he hates white people....if anything a lot of people have this guilt, but that doesn’t mean self loathing.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »
He was certainly using stats to advance his position but the bolded is one of the most idiotic statements ever put on here. And that's saying quite a lot. But is in line with your user name
Your point is correct. I withdraw that comment. My distaste for bigotry clouded my reason. Thank you for pointing out my lack of clarity. I'm human and make mistakes.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »

Lol. You’re a joke.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2019, 01:19:38 PM »
Your point is correct. I withdraw that comment. My distaste for bigotry clouded my reason. Thank you for pointing out my lack of clarity. I'm human and make mistakes.

I appreciate that. But I'm curious, where did you get bigotry in my posts? I'm a very white man from a very white family. I like history and dislike historical inaccuracies. I hadn't heard a number that low before so I wanted to check and see if I was mistaken and posted what I found. I don't think anything I posted was inaccurate or insulting to any race. Our nation has a nasty history with slavery. That is a fact. I don't think that means that white people are bad by any stretch. Just like I don't think Germans are bad because of their history, or Japanese are bad because of their role in WWII. 
TAMU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »
So when I post accurate statistics, I'm being purposefully inflammatory. Why didn't you have the same reaction when the person I quoted used inaccurate statistics?

Of course everyone saw, I was very clear about what data I was using. It wasn't a secret. I focused on the percentages in states where it was actually legal. Why would I include data from states where it was illegal? Doing that would be purposefully skewing the stats the other way.

Is your argument that me providing data about slavery in the US is more racist than slavery? I gotta say I disagree.
I didn't react to the initial statistic because you already had done so.

When he was making an assertion that the majority of Americans did not own slaves he did not limit it to Americans in slave states. You moved the goalposts for your own purpose.

I withdrew my comment about equating your distaste for white people to slavery. That was a stupid comment. I apologize to you and anyone who was offended. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »
How is a bunch of bums on an internet forum having a conversation about our nation's history with slavery taking away from stopping the sex and drug slavery industry of today?

haven't seen near as much(hardly any)blow-back on the drug and sex slavery as i have on the one that has everyone taking statues down over.  anywhooo, i just got off on the tangent as i just felt comparing college sports to slavery was a bad analogy.  no big deal-carry on
don't...don't don't don't don't

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2019, 01:56:43 PM »
I appreciate that. But I'm curious, where did you get bigotry in my posts? I'm a very white man from a very white family. I like history and dislike historical inaccuracies. I hadn't heard a number that low before so I wanted to check and see if I was mistaken and posted what I found. I don't think anything I posted was inaccurate or insulting to any race. Our nation has a nasty history with slavery. That is a fact. I don't think that means that white people are bad by any stretch. Just like I don't think Germans are bad because of their history, or Japanese are bad because of their role in WWII.
Thanks for clarifying your position. I thought your statistics generally supported the poster's assertion that the vast majority of Americans did not own slaves. While his stats may have not been totally accurate they seemed fairly reasonable in light of your stat that about 5% owned slaves in slaves states only, and considering the fact that a large majority of the US population was not in slaves states, I think it is fair to say that tiny percent (<1% ?) of Americans owned slaves.

I interpreted your comments as painting the original poster as intentionally and significantly understating slave ownership in the US when, based upon your own stats, he was off by maybe less than 2%. To many that is statistical anomaly (especially on a MU basketball forum) and not an underhanded attempt to minimize slavery in the US.

In short, your stats and his stats do not seem materially different and your attempt to paint them as significantly different lead me to believe you have an agenda to perpetuate 'white guilt' (for lack of a better term right now).

Also, while the American slave industry was awful, America never enslaved an entire ethnic group like the Egyptians did. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:59:21 PM by WhiteTrash »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2019, 02:04:24 PM »
Just a general nitpick. There's a difference between "student athletes should be paid" and "student athletes should be allowed to profit off their NIL."

I think a lot of people who are for allowing student athletes to profit of their NIL are also against student athletes being paid. I'm personally one of those.

But the way this works is “progress” will then move in 5 years to paying, or some next iterative step...and further and further erosion.   Give an inch and you ultimately give up miles.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2019, 03:28:03 PM »
But the way this works is “progress” will then move in 5 years to paying, or some next iterative step...and further and further erosion.   Give an inch and you ultimately give up miles.

Ah, the old slippery slope argument. A favorite of hardcores (left and right) when resisting common sense change.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2019, 03:42:47 PM »
Also, while the American slave industry was awful, America never enslaved an entire ethnic group like the Egyptians did.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »

“Five years to judge”, hey?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2019, 04:18:24 PM »
Butler sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »