collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Homecoming concert @ Fiserv Saturday  (Read 5201 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MU Homecoming concert @ Fiserv Saturday
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
Thanks. It sounds like it is a net positive.  Now, can we work on getting an Alumni House?

I'd imagine that could be a moneymaker for the university. Even if it was a floor or two of a dorm a spot alumni could rent out on a whim would be legit.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 10:23:38 PM »
Just got back from the concert .. very very well done, Marquette.  Great to have it inside the Fiserv, would have been wet tonight outside.

I'd guess 5000 people were there, likely 70% students .. frankly, this was a great concert, and more MU alums should go each year.  It's a free, high production value concert that's perfect for families.  We'll def get tickets next year, might even rope in some other families.

Lovelytheband was the clear winner, should have been the "main" act.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 04:51:37 PM »
Just got back from the concert .. very very well done, Marquette.  Great to have it inside the Fiserv, would have been wet tonight outside.

I'd guess 5000 people were there, likely 70% students .. frankly, this was a great concert, and more MU alums should go each year.  It's a free, high production value concert that's perfect for families.  We'll def get tickets next year, might even rope in some other families.

Lovelytheband was the clear winner, should have been the "main" act.

It was well done and I was very surprised how good the acoustics were in the Fiserv for a 'limited audience' show.  The entire upper deck was curtained.  Somehow the place even felt 'intimate'.

So topper, I believe you're a bit high on your numbers.  Remember that the bottom holds about 10k before you completely eliminate 1/3 of that with the stage at the east end.  So let's say there were 7k seats available, plus the floor. I'd estimate that there were about 2k on the floor plus another 1.5k in the seats for about 3,500 total.  Still, not bad and not something that could be replicated on campus.  I'm told that the Al was never designed to host concerts.  Note that there is no rigging for the necessary light/sound superstructure required for a major concert.  Shame on Marquette for not incorporating that in the original design but those decisions were made long ago.  Kudos to the university for putting in an appropriate video board, something else I've complained about for years but that's another thread!

I thought the show was 'fine'.  And let me first state that I have no idea what Marquette's budget is for this event and if that changed in the last year.  It is entirely possible that they made an active decision to cut the budget or, alternatively, had to write a meaningful check to the Bucks to get access to the venue.  I do not know if MU has a series of 'cheap access' nights written in their existing contract.  So it is entirely possible that some percentage of the existing budget had to be diverted to the venue.  Anyway, thank God they did.  I argued publicly for years that October outdoors was too risky.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who did.  Saturday would have been a washout.

As to the artists, lovelytheband was perfectly acceptable.  They've got one or two hits and their 45 minute set was decent.  It was clear that they had played somewhat regularly on the 'college tour' circuit as they said the usual things to the student body audience that comprised about 80% of those in attendance.  Alessia Cara is an exceptionally talented young artist with a very bright future ahead of her although I sincerely believe that her musical style was not a perfect fit for a raucous Homecoming celebration and thus was somewhat miscast in this role.  But she got an A+ for effort in what was undoubtedly one of her very first headlining performances.  I can absolutely respect any artist that faithfully honors their contract and performs for 75 minutes when she, too, is used to a 45 minute set, max.  She worked hard to give a 100% effort and seemed genuinely pleased to be given the opportunity.

So kudos to Marquette.  The show went off without any major hitches and the students in attendance had a great time.  And I always appreciate and enjoy when Marquette commits itself to live musical performances.  The fact that a band doesn't play on campus at 4p every Friday afternoon is one thing today's students miss out on.     
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:06:40 PM by jsglow »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 05:19:33 PM »
As to the artists, lovelytheband was perfectly acceptable.  They've got one or two hits and their 45 minute set was decent.  It was clear that they had played somewhat regularly on the 'college tour' circuit as they said the usual things to the student body audience that comprised about 80% of those in attendance.  Alessia Cara is an exceptionally talented young artist with a very bright future ahead of her although I sincerely believe that her musical style was not a perfect fit for a raucous Homecoming celebration and thus was somewhat miscast in this role.  But she got an A+ for effort in what was undoubtedly one of her very first headlining performances.  I can absolutely respect any artist that faithfully honors their contract and performs for 75 minutes when she, too, is used to a 45 minute set, max.  She worked hard to give a 100% effort and seemed genuinely pleased to be given the opportunity.

So kudos to Marquette.  The show went off without any major hitches and the students in attendance had a great time.  And I always appreciate and enjoy when Marquette commits itself to live musical performances.  The fact that a band doesn't play on campus at 4p every Friday afternoon is one thing today's students miss out on.     

Thanks for the review.  Good feedback.  Alessia Cara is a unique artist.  You're a bit off.  She did a headlining tour for her first album a few years back, and she's in the midst of a second headlining tour for her second album.  So she's not completely new to the position.  Interestingly, she's picked up a Grammy and she's been the supporting act for Coldplay and supported Shawn Mendes on an arena tour this year.  Thats a pretty legit resume for 22-23, But through all that, her career is kind of building slowly, which is why Marquette was able to get her for something like this.  She's not quite an arena headliner yet.  But I honestly think thats probably good management from her people.

But I totally agree she's probably not the right genre or vibe for something like that.  When I was in college, I remember 2 back to back HC acts.  One was an indie band that was super popular, couple hit singles, but more of a folky vibe.  I was shocked they got them for the concert given their recent success.  Concert had decent attendance, and a muted vibe.  The next year, they got a pop punk band who hadn't been popular for a few years, but had been pretty big 5 years prior when we had been in HS.  Place was packed and raucous.  Funny how that works.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2019, 06:49:39 PM »
Yeah .. my guess of 5,000 was a  .. gentleman's 5,000. 

It feels like .. a concert like this needs to spread by word of mouth.  I can think of many MU families who would absolutely bring their kids to this.

We will certainly go next year, if the bands are remotely known.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 07:22:24 PM »
Yeah .. my guess of 5,000 was a  .. gentleman's 5,000. 

It feels like .. a concert like this needs to spread by word of mouth.  I can think of many MU families who would absolutely bring their kids to this.

We will certainly go next year, if the bands are remotely known.

Topper, you shoulda been at AAR last year.  Great, great show by Marquette standards.  And 'old enough' that they appealed to the alums while still being quite relevant for the students.  I thought they were the perfect fit.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »
Topper, you shoulda been at AAR last year.  Great, great show by Marquette standards.  And 'old enough' that they appealed to the alums while still being quite relevant for the students.  I thought they were the perfect fit.

We were at AAR last year .. my wife's year.

feedback