collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: A few moments of silence  (Read 5394 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: A few moments of silence
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 09:38:29 AM »

Just like I'm not sure with Trump.

Not a fan of "the Donald" but this may be the dumbest statement in the history of Scoop.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 09:43:02 AM »
What's funny wades is that I haven't been to Manhattan since 9/11 but had been there many times before.  Business just didn't take me there the second half of my career.  Need to get back.

It's beautifully done.  I'm not a huge fan of big cities so I thought I'd hate NYC but I loved it.  I've only been back out there once since then but am planning on heading back out there next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »
Not a fan of "the Donald" but this may be the dumbest statement in the history of Scoop.

He's a fan of however he can make money and live a nice lifestyle.  If that includes "loving America" then he does his best to wrap himself in the flag.  When that includes breaking laws and undermining American interests to suit his own, he does so without much thought. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »

He's a fan of however he can make money and live a nice lifestyle.  If that includes "loving America" then he does his best to wrap himself in the flag.  When that includes breaking laws and undermining American interests to suit his own, he does so without much thought.

Politics, sultan.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
Too bad we decided to enter an endless war in response.  It would be like WW2 still going on in 1959 after Pearl Harbor.

Eh.

If Japan and/or Germany were continuing to fight into 1959, we would still be at war with them.

The ultimate tragedy, of course, is that this all came from Saudi Arabia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
Eh.

If Japan and/or Germany were continuing to fight into 1959, we would still be at war with them.

The ultimate tragedy, of course, is that this all came from Saudi Arabia.

The tragedy portion isn't where it came from it's that we used a scape goat of the taliban. It'd be like taking down a local drug seller but then not taking down the mob/cartel they buy from because you also have good legitimate business to do with them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »
It's beautifully done.  I'm not a huge fan of big cities so I thought I'd hate NYC but I loved it.  I've only been back out there once since then but am planning on heading back out there next year.

+1. A very moving experience I would recommend to all.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »
Today is the most important day to remember how we failed in our response. If that makes you uncomfortable or angry, then look within.
I guess you'd be happier with a museum dedicated to how muslims lives in the US have been changed since 9/11 rather than to honor both those who lost their lives to terrorists and to those first responders who risked or gave their own lives that day?

Tower's original post was meant for us to take a moment related to the latter, not the former.  What is so difficult in keeping this topic away from politics and simply honoring those for whom it was intended?

Lock it up.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »

I actually like NYC a lot. I wouldn't live there now but as a young professional on the Upper West Side it would have been fine for a couple years.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
This is why we can't have nice things.   Keep it on topic, people.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »
Interesting story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/f-16-pilot-was-ready-to-give-her-life-on-sept-11/2015/09/06/7c8cddbc-d8ce-11e0-9dca-a4d231dfde50_story.html

What a different time pre-9/11 was.

That's insane. 

I had not heard of this until now.  Documentaries and articles always talk about the decision being made to shoot down "hostile" commercial jets, but the ones I have watched have never mentioned they didn't actually have the ability to shoot it down.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:44:57 PM by TallTitan34 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2019, 12:57:05 PM »
That's insane. 

I had not heard of this until now.  Documentaries and articles always talk about the decision being made to shoot down "hostile" commercial jets, but the ones I have watched have never mentioned they didn't actually have the ability to shoot it down.

This story was mentioned on NPR yesterday.  They also commented that the military had no radars facing "inside" the United States so that's why they had no idea that the plane crashed in Shanksville.  They had the FAA, but their radars didn't work great unless the planes had their transponders on.  And that's one of the first things the terrorists did - turn them off.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »
I guess you'd be happier with a museum dedicated to how muslims lives in the US have been changed since 9/11 rather than to honor both those who lost their lives to terrorists and to those first responders who risked or gave their own lives that day?

Tower's original post was meant for us to take a moment related to the latter, not the former.  What is so difficult in keeping this topic away from politics and simply honoring those for whom it was intended?

Lock it up.

I have been to the 9/11 museum in Nee York. It is a wonderfully moving place to be. I came away ashamed that our country used those victims to conduct an over reaching and violent foreign policy in response. That’s not politics. That’s just facts.

If someone wanted to build a museum dedicated to the American Muslim, I might be moved by that was well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »
I have been to the 9/11 museum in Nee York. It is a wonderfully moving place to be. I came away ashamed that our country used those victims to conduct an over reaching and violent foreign policy in response. That’s not politics. That’s just facts.

If someone wanted to build a museum dedicated to the American Muslim, I might be moved by that was well.

You came away ashamed? You should be. And it's most definitely politics.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2019, 04:27:16 PM »
You came away ashamed? You should be.

Ashamed for our country yes.  And you're right I should be.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2019, 04:51:44 PM »
Great job, people.  So proud.