[Today at 02:42:45 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players  (Read 68584 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #525 on: September 20, 2019, 07:14:44 PM »
49% support it.  51% did not choose to offer support for it.

Thank you

Yep, more Americans are for it than against it.

Apology not accepted.

What happened to your last signature....speaking of hypocritical liars.

That's not a nice thing to call 'topper. He politely asked me to change it because he thought it was too political, and he offered me Arby's as a reward, so I of course complied.

As you know, it wasn't really political. It was just a line from the Chappelle concert on Netflix that you enjoyed so much.

BTW, I've stopped ignoring you. Your lies are so easy to expose -- I mean, there was no Hartford Courant poll, and you are still misrepresenting what was in the Seton Hall poll, and you lied about what I had said all thread, etc etc etc -- that it's a breeze to dominate you in debates. No wonder why Lenny enjoys it so much.

The rest of us simply use "facts" and "truth," and you're doomed.

We're the Al McGuires, and you're the Little Sisters of the Poor.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #526 on: September 20, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »
I’m just sad what this is going to do to college athletics, in particular small schools and many young men and women who will now be left on the sideline....but you don’t seem to care.

"Life isn't fair." - Cheeks, many times
"You can't always get what you want." - Cheeks, many times*

* Also, Mick Jagger

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #527 on: September 20, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »
Yep, more Americans are for it than against it.

Apology not accepted.

That's not a nice thing to call 'topper. He politely asked me to change it because he thought it was too political, and he offered me Arby's as a reward, so I of course complied.

As you know, it wasn't really political. It was just a line from the Chappelle concert on Netflix that you enjoyed so much.

BTW, I've stopped ignoring you. Your lies are so easy to expose -- I mean, there was no Hartford Courant poll, and you are still misrepresenting what was in the Seton Hall poll, and you lied about what I had said all thread, etc etc etc -- that it's a breeze to dominate you in debates. No wonder why Lenny enjoys it so much.

The rest of us simply use "facts" and "truth," and you're doomed.

We're the Al McGuires, and you're the Little Sisters of the Poor.

It was political, that's why it was removed. He agreed that it was...would you like his response?   How can that topic not be political.....and you throw around lying hypocrite charges and come up with that line that it wasn't hypocritical.  Awesome.  Laughable. Par for the course.

51% chose the option of not supporting it.  Thank you.  Facts.  Apology accepted. #learnhowtoreadpolls

You never started ignoring me...lying again. 

I knew Al McGuire, I worked with him for two years.....MU82, you're no Al McGuire. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:56:45 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #528 on: September 20, 2019, 08:43:22 PM »
Far outweighs the value they receive?  This is a grossly absurd statement.

Shelter
Food
Scholarship worth $200k today’s dollars and $2M lifetime earnings
Clothing
Instruction by world class instructors
Tutoring
Travel
Auditions to employers for rev sports

Now do the same thing for non revenue....please, the value they receive far outweighs what they provide.  Are you telling me the men’s soccer players are bringing in massive revenue and publicity for MU?  Come on.

For the players that would be able to profit off their likeness, yes they are underpaid. No a mens soccer player is not out earning their "pay" from the university but I assure you someone like Markus Howard is.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #529 on: September 20, 2019, 09:04:12 PM »
It was political, that's why it was removed. He agreed that it was...would you like his response?   How can that topic not be political.....and you throw around lying hypocrite charges and come up with that line that it wasn't hypocritical.  Awesome.  Laughable. Par for the course.

51% chose the option of not supporting it.  Thank you.  Facts.  Apology accepted. #learnhowtoreadpolls

I knew Al McGuire, I worked with him for two years.....MU82, you're no Al McGuire.

I knew Al also. Worked some CBB with him. So what. I have worked with many in the business. I do not need to name them because who cares.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #530 on: September 20, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »

You are a liar and so easy to punk.

Even in the poll you "like," more Americans are in favor of college athletes receiving salaries than are opposed to it. That's a fact. And so is this one that you keep ignoring:

66% of Americans said college athletes SHOULD BE COMPENSATED WHEN THEIR NAMES AND IMAGES ARE USED TO GENERATE PROFIT.

Oh, and you just made political posts in the iPhone11 and NFL threads. Eventually, those -- and all the other political posts, and all the lies, and all the arguing for the sake of arguing even when you know you're wrong, and all your co-opting of every thread because you are an expert on everything -- will help lead to you getting banned for life. Again. You won't be missed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #531 on: September 20, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »
For the players that would be able to profit off their likeness, yes they are underpaid. No a mens soccer player is not out earning their "pay" from the university but I assure you someone like Markus Howard is.

Why do you assure me?  Markus will make a basketball living after MU in large part because of MU.  The platform for him to earn was provided by MU.  He’s getting a great deal now and will continue to reap rewards after.  MU fan base was buying tickets whether Markus was on the team or not. 

Even if you are right, it again points to the tiny sliver who are somehow “underpaid”....I disagree strongly that they are, but the deal these kids get is hugely beneficial.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #532 on: September 20, 2019, 09:38:06 PM »
You are a liar and so easy to punk.

Even in the poll you "like," more Americans are in favor of college athletes receiving salaries than are opposed to it. That's a fact. And so is this one that you keep ignoring:

66% of Americans said college athletes SHOULD BE COMPENSATED WHEN THEIR NAMES AND IMAGES ARE USED TO GENERATE PROFIT.

Oh, and you just made political posts in the iPhone11 and NFL threads. Eventually, those -- and all the other political posts, and all the lies, and all the arguing for the sake of arguing even when you know you're wrong, and all your co-opting of every thread because you are an expert on everything -- will help lead to you getting banned for life. Again. You won't be missed.

What political post in the iPhone thread?  That it might be unethical to upgrade a phone because of pollution effects?  How is that political?  I know you are bummed for being called out today for your signature post and then lying it wasn’t political all why claiming others were liars...so with that egg on your face I can understand the backlash you have internally.

51% did not offer support for payment of players....a majority in the poll did not choose to support paying.  FACT.    Do you understand the difference between a plurality and a majority?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #533 on: September 20, 2019, 10:34:07 PM »
What political post in the iPhone thread?  That it might be unethical to upgrade a phone because of pollution effects?  How is that political?  I know you are bummed for being called out today for your signature post and then lying it wasn’t political all why claiming others were liars...so with that egg on your face I can understand the backlash you have internally.

51% did not offer support for payment of players....a majority in the poll did not choose to support paying.  FACT.    Do you understand the difference between a plurality and a majority?

Who said anything about majority or plurality? I said that the poll you keep citing as some kind of proof of something shows that "more Americans are in favor of college athletes receiving salaries than are opposed to it."

That is a fact. That's how you read a poll. Ask one of your buddies, Peyton or Timmy. They'll help you.

The other 2019 poll, as posted by Uncle Rico and that you conveniently ignore, shows a majority of Americans favor it. Which is also a fact.

And every poll shows that the vast majority of Americans say college athletes SHOULD BE COMPENSATED WHEN THEIR NAMES AND IMAGES ARE USED TO GENERATE PROFIT. Which is definitely a fact, one you only respond to with lies and deflections because the truth is not hoopaloop's friend.

But yeah ... you don't argue just to argue. Liar. All you had to do was say, "I guess I was wrong about support for the likeness thing, and I guess I thought I saw another poll from the Hartford Courant but didn't. My bad." But instead, you just can't.

Oh, but at least you're not trying to claim your post about the Kennedys in the NFL thread wasn't political. That's a good first step.

I'm looking forward to your next banning. Then, I'm looking forward to the next big comeback!

"Oh boo hoo ... I know I was a jerk but blah-blah-blah happened in my life ... boo hoo ... and if Scoop will just take me back ... boo hoo ... you all will see that I'm a changed man ... boo hoo."

Wow, of all your millions of Scooptastic lies, that was the biggest. Unless by changed, you meant even worse.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #534 on: September 20, 2019, 11:37:14 PM »

Even in the poll you "like,"

You are the ball, Erin Andrews is the kid.... Sweet contact...eh

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BbySDhG8KE0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BbySDhG8KE0</a>

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #535 on: September 21, 2019, 01:12:36 AM »

He's going on his 4th year.  If he's so underpaid why doesn't he just go pro already and start cashing those fat checks?  There is literally nothing stopping him.  Oh yeah, probably because he wouldn't get drafted as of today, and no one is going to be buying Howard g-league or Italy jerseys.  It's not like his skill level this season would be any different no matter if he plays g-league, overseas, or in college.  He's the same person with the same ability.  But somehow, he only has value while in college.

Alas, people really only care about him because he plays for a top college basketball school.  So maybe that school name and college basketball platform is really carrying the most value by far?  Otherwise, go ahead Markus.  Go pro right now and get paid!

**  I feel bad using a guy I like a lot as an example.  I hope he lights it up this year.  But the point remains.  **
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #536 on: September 21, 2019, 06:36:30 AM »
You are the ball

I accept your unconditional surrender.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #537 on: September 21, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »
Why do you assure me?  Markus will make a basketball living after MU in large part because of MU.  The platform for him to earn was provided by MU.  He’s getting a great deal now and will continue to reap rewards after.  MU fan base was buying tickets whether Markus was on the team or not. 

Even if you are right, it again points to the tiny sliver who are somehow “underpaid”....I disagree strongly that they are, but the deal these kids get is hugely beneficial.

Ah so MU fans will buy tickets regardless of the talent level or performance....totally makes sense.

Markus is doing far more for the university than just playing basketball. He is an ambassador, as are all student athletes, having to show up at various dog and pony shows, etc. Yes MU provides a platform for Markus and others to audition for the NBA and other leagues but that's because that really the only game in town. If there were other options perhaps they would persue them.

And it's not like the university gets anything taken away from it because Markus gets to endorse a local car dealership or something.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #538 on: September 21, 2019, 10:35:56 AM »
He's going on his 4th year.  If he's so underpaid why doesn't he just go pro already and start cashing those fat checks?  There is literally nothing stopping him.  Oh yeah, probably because he wouldn't get drafted as of today, and no one is going to be buying Howard g-league or Italy jerseys.  It's not like his skill level this season would be any different no matter if he plays g-league, overseas, or in college.  He's the same person with the same ability.  But somehow, he only has value while in college.

Alas, people really only care about him because he plays for a top college basketball school.  So maybe that school name and college basketball platform is really carrying the most value by far?  Otherwise, go ahead Markus.  Go pro right now and get paid!

**  I feel bad using a guy I like a lot as an example.  I hope he lights it up this year.  But the point remains.  **

Even if what you say is all correct, what does it matter in the question of whether a player can profit off their likeness? How does any of that get impacted by players getting some cash from EA sports so their name and avatar can end up in NCAA Football 2021?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #539 on: September 21, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
I accept your unconditional surrender.

Still not ignoring me, never did...just more lies.  Erin really hit you hard...solid contact....love the bat flip.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #540 on: September 21, 2019, 11:06:13 AM »
Ah so MU fans will buy tickets regardless of the talent level or performance....totally makes sense.

Markus is doing far more for the university than just playing basketball. He is an ambassador, as are all student athletes, having to show up at various dog and pony shows, etc. Yes MU provides a platform for Markus and others to audition for the NBA and other leagues but that's because that really the only game in town. If there were other options perhaps they would persue them.

And it's not like the university gets anything taken away from it because Markus gets to endorse a local car dealership or something.

There are other options. 

And yes, many people buy tickets because of the name on the front of the jersey not the back.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #541 on: September 21, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »
Even if what you say is all correct, what does it matter in the question of whether a player can profit off their likeness? How does any of that get impacted by players getting some cash from EA sports so their name and avatar can end up in NCAA Football 2021?

The pie of money is finite...that’s one reason.  And you know this extends beyond video games but actual direct sponsors that support programs and universities.  I’m far less concerned about video game money then direct bidding wars by Dickens Cider and Bob’s Toyota.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #542 on: September 21, 2019, 11:41:31 AM »
The pie of money is finite...that’s one reason.  And you know this extends beyond video games but actual direct sponsors that support programs and universities.  I’m far less concerned about video game money then direct bidding wars by Dickens Cider and Bob’s Toyota.

So you think that all endorsement money moves from the university to the players? A) I dont think that's true B) doesn't that prove that the "star" players are undervalued in the current system?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #543 on: September 21, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
There are other options. 

Basketball maybe. Football definitely not. Further in football the number of playable years a player has is pretty limited and they are spending them in college at a less efficient wage. Take Saquon Barkley, even at his rookie wage rate he lost several million dollars in earnings by playing 3 years at Penn State. If he could have come out as a freshman he would have made millions more than he did.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #544 on: September 21, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »
So you think that all endorsement money moves from the university to the players? A) I dont think that's true B) doesn't that prove that the "star" players are undervalued in the current system?

Nope and didn’t say that.  Not all money...but you have to understand the money that comes in is to benefit the entire dept.  Let’s use academic counseling as an example....they are there for all student athletes, not just one sport.  You start to take dollars away from those departments it hurts all student athletes.  One less staff member here, one less there.  Some D1 athletic depts only have a handful of those people to begin with, because a crap ton of depts are not profitable.

B) all it takes is one person, one company to decide someone or something has value.  My house could be on the market for $1M, but if some idiot wants to give me $2M, well that’s the market...no different than a GM taking Mitch Trubisky way too high and overvaluing him to the nth degree.  That happens. 

MH has value, no one I can see is disputing that.  Where we disagree is he is getting great value right now, not only today but for the future which seems to be ignored entirely or heavily discounted.  Most of his “brand” is being developed in large part because of his platform, and that brand value will pay dividends long term whether in salary, connections, business opportunities.  I’m thrilled for him that he is doing that and MU has given him that platform. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #545 on: September 21, 2019, 11:58:22 AM »
Basketball maybe. Football definitely not. Further in football the number of playable years a player has is pretty limited and they are spending them in college at a less efficient wage. Take Saquon Barkley, even at his rookie wage rate he lost several million dollars in earnings by playing 3 years at Penn State. If he could have come out as a freshman he would have made millions more than he did.

Then let the market place create a minor league system. Why does the NCAA have to change to appease and change for what the market lacks?  That isn’t the ncaa’s problem, that is the NFL’s.  The NFL sets the age requirement, not the NCAA.  Stop making the NCAA the bad guy for a NFL issue.

Baseball, hockey also have options. Soccer, too. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #546 on: September 21, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
Then let the market place create a minor league system. Why does the NCAA have to change to appease and change for what the market lacks?  That isn’t the ncaa’s problem, that is the NFL’s.  The NFL sets the age requirement, not the NCAA.  Stop making the NCAA the bad guy for a NFL issue.

Baseball, hockey also have options. Soccer, too.

If the NCAA is content with college basketball becoming something akin to college baseball, soccer and hockey, then by all means they shouldn't change a thing.
But we both know that's about the last thing the NCAA wants. And for a guy who claims he's just sticking up for the other NCAA athletes, it should be the last thing you want, too. Because if more and more top kids choose to skip college, fewer and fewer people will watch the games. You think losing a little sponsorship revenue will be ruinous? Just wait and see how much less networks want to pay for glorified Division II hoops.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #547 on: September 21, 2019, 01:44:12 PM »
Nope and didn’t say that.  Not all money...but you have to understand the money that comes in is to benefit the entire dept.  Let’s use academic counseling as an example....they are there for all student athletes, not just one sport.  You start to take dollars away from those departments it hurts all student athletes.  One less staff member here, one less there.  Some D1 athletic depts only have a handful of those people to begin with, because a crap ton of depts are not profitable.

B) all it takes is one person, one company to decide someone or something has value.  My house could be on the market for $1M, but if some idiot wants to give me $2M, well that’s the market...no different than a GM taking Mitch Trubisky way too high and overvaluing him to the nth degree.  That happens. 

MH has value, no one I can see is disputing that.  Where we disagree is he is getting great value right now, not only today but for the future which seems to be ignored entirely or heavily discounted.  Most of his “brand” is being developed in large part because of his platform, and that brand value will pay dividends long term whether in salary, connections, business opportunities.  I’m thrilled for him that he is doing that and MU has given him that platform.

So let me see if I understand this....you are in favor of the higher(potential) earners sacrificing some of that earning power for the good of the less fortunate players that can't generate nearly as much revenue....do I have that right?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #548 on: September 21, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »
If the NCAA is content with college basketball becoming something akin to college baseball, soccer and hockey, then by all means they shouldn't change a thing.
But we both know that's about the last thing the NCAA wants. And for a guy who claims he's just sticking up for the other NCAA athletes, it should be the last thing you want, too. Because if more and more top kids choose to skip college, fewer and fewer people will watch the games. You think losing a little sponsorship revenue will be ruinous? Just wait and see how much less networks want to pay for glorified Division II hoops.

Myth

Did people suddenly stop watching because Butler made a great run or Loyola of Chicago?  No.  Live sports is what drives the rights fees.  ACC network just launched.  Big 12 will be next. 

And considering what I am involved with on the sports side for television rights, that is just another myth on your part.  First of all, the NCAA tournament money is locked into the 2030’s with the contract.  Most of the major conference network deals are mid 2020’s.  Long time out.  As the baseball model has shown, plenty of great talented kids choose the college route rather than the minor leagues.  Many will do that in college basketball, too.  Sure, some will go directly to a pay for play....fine...do it.  Please. Do. It.  Stop making the ncaa the cure for poison the Pro leagues are influencing.  Let the top high school kids go to the nba.  Please. Do. It.  Let GM’s draft all that “can’t miss” high school talent....please. Do. It.  The people still will watch college basketball and as many of the can’t miss guys flop badly in the NBA, the GM’s will slowly put value on taking seasoned college kids as well.  Please. Do. It.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #549 on: September 21, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »
So let me see if I understand this....you are in favor of the higher(potential) earners sacrificing some of that earning power for the good of the less fortunate players that can't generate nearly as much revenue....do I have that right?

I am in favor of the college model, which is a socialist model, where many student athletes benefit despite no one going to their games or caring how they do, because others care about football or basketball. That is 100% correct.  After years of working with those kids, you damn well better believe it.  If the revenue sports kid thinks he is getting jilted, go pro. 

This is the reality in many businesses.  I work in a revenue generating dept, but thousands of people do not...should those people be put to pasture because they are in support roles or do not directly drive revenue?  I don’t think so.

feedback