[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Surprised this hasn’t happened more  (Read 16310 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Surprised this hasn’t happened more
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 09:12:27 PM »
We were talking about this today at work regarding Kawahi Leonard’s sister who was arrested for murdering an 84 year old woman yesterday.  She and another person broke the woman’s skull in the bathroom and stole her purse.  I’m sure the intent wasn’t to kill her or break her skull, but that’s what happened and thus charged with murder.

Maybe I am over sensitive because it is a plane and the margins for error on safety is so much different than a car,  it when I read sabotage and tampering with gauges, engines, etc.....well let’s just say i’d Like the most severe deterrent possible.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 09:34:13 PM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 10:56:57 PM »
Ties to terrorism? 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article235199172.html

Looks like a sensationalistic headline.

“I have evidence before me that suggests you could be sympathetic to terrorists,” McAliley said,

He better have more than that to call it “ties to terrorism.” 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 05:06:30 AM »
Looks like a sensationalistic headline.

“I have evidence before me that suggests you could be sympathetic to terrorists,” McAliley said,

He better have more than that to call it “ties to terrorism.”

I for one am going to let this fully play out before rushing to judgement.  I will mention that prosecutors typically take the hardest line in their prosecutions because the accused is more likely to take a plea for a lighter sentence.

Its a pretty messed up system.

If this guy had terrorist ties though, give him his trial and convict on the evidence.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 05:10:30 AM »
I for one am going to let this fully play out before rushing to judgement.  I will mention that prosecutors typically take the hardest line in their prosecutions because the accused is more likely to take a plea for a lighter sentence.

Its a pretty messed up system.

If this guy had terrorist ties though, give him his trial and convict on the evidence.

Agree completely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 07:17:03 AM »
I for one am going to let this fully play out before rushing to judgement.

What are you, Canadian?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 07:47:27 AM »
Delta pilot arrested after trying to fly while drunk.
People could have died.
Why no attempted murder charges?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-delta-pilot-charged-fly-intoxicated-arrest/story?id=65702148

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 09:32:26 PM »
Delta pilot arrested after trying to fly while drunk.
People could have died.
Why no attempted murder charges?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-delta-pilot-charged-fly-intoxicated-arrest/story?id=65702148

Go for it....I like the idea....even though there is a co-pilot redundancy.  A little different than trying to sabotage a plane that could have not revealed the problem until going the runway at 230 knots while rotating.  But yes, go for it.  Strict laws, bet it would cut down immensely on these guys drinking and trying to fly a plane.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2019, 04:47:19 AM »
Go for it....I like the idea....even though there is a co-pilot redundancy.  A little different than trying to sabotage a plane that could have not revealed the problem until going the runway at 230 knots while rotating.  But yes, go for it.  Strict laws, bet it would cut down immensely on these guys drinking and trying to fly a plane.

So every DUI and DWI should bring an attempted murder charge too?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2019, 10:17:15 AM »

Here's the thing that troubles me.  If you kill someone while DUI, you can be charged for murder.  But if I don't kill them, then it's not attempted murder?  Yet if I shoot someone and kill them, it's murder....if I shoot and miss....attempted murder is often the charge.   What if the guy was merely trying to shoot him in the leg and intent was not to kill?   Seems inconsistent to me.

To answer your question, I put more importance on objects traveling 500 knots with small margins for error when people are trying to sabotage them, or the operators of those vessels are impaired...especially when 150 souls are on board.  I don't condone DUI at all, and there are needless deaths every year.  I'd love to see much tougher penalties.  How many times do we see some ahole that had prior convictions of DUI go out and kill people while DUI?  Way too many.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2019, 11:14:45 AM »
NM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:22:50 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
You can be charged with homicide by a moving vehicle too, not just manslaughter.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 11:49:33 AM »

There was navigation system redundancy in the Miami case.
From the article you linked (but apparently didn't read):
But Alani’s assistant federal public defender, Christian Dunham, said the prosecutors were exaggerating the evidence. He pointed out that there was a second navigation system still working on the plane so his alleged sabotage could not have caused it to crash.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »
You can be charged with homicide by a moving vehicle too, not just manslaughter.

From a legal standpoint, homicide is not the same as murder. Homicide just means one person killing another. (Hence terms like justifiable homicide or reckless homicide).
Murder requires either the intent to kill someone, but to do so unlawfully, or intentionally committing an act that's likely to result in an unlawful killing.
That's why the vast, vast majority of fatal drunk driving cases carry charges like reckless homicide or aggravated DUI, not murder.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »
There was navigation system redundancy in the Miami case.
From the article you linked (but apparently didn't read):
But Alani’s assistant federal public defender, Christian Dunham, said the prosecutors were exaggerating the evidence. He pointed out that there was a second navigation system still working on the plane so his alleged sabotage could not have caused it to crash.

I’d like to hear from more than the public defender, counselor.  I appreciate their input, but will weigh both sides.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2019, 01:12:42 PM »
From a legal standpoint, homicide is not the same as murder. Homicide just means one person killing another. (Hence terms like justifiable homicide or reckless homicide).
Murder requires either the intent to kill someone, but to do so unlawfully, or intentionally committing an act that's likely to result in an unlawful killing.
That's why the vast, vast majority of fatal drunk driving cases carry charges like reckless homicide or aggravated DUI, not murder.

I agree it isn’t common, though we have a high profile case heating up locally on this very subject....very much in the news here.

https://ktla.com/2019/09/18/dui-driver-charged-with-murder-in-fathers-day-crash-that-killed-dad-of-2-in-north-hills-da/

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »
I’d like to hear from more than the public defender, counselor.  I appreciate their input, but will weigh both sides.

So you're accusing the a lawyer admitted to the federal bar of lying to a judge in court. Based on what, exactly?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »
So you're accusing the a lawyer admitted to the federal bar of lying to a judge in court. Based on what, exactly?

I’m sorry, please show me where I accused the lawyer of lying. 

Thank you

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2019, 11:04:31 PM »
What are you, Canadian?

You gotta problem, guy?

*sips the piss that passes for timmy's joe these days*

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2019, 11:05:51 PM »

Dude, he's that dense.  Don't bother.

Minimal grip on law, slightly larger grip on reality.

Opinionated af... but ya know.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2019, 07:59:14 AM »
I’m sorry, please show me where I accused the lawyer of lying. 

Thank you

Well, you questioned the the attorney's statement about the backup navigation system. Whether or not there was a backup navigation system is a matter of fact, not opinion. There either was one or there was not.
Ergo, f the statement is untrue, he's lying. And by your unwillingness to accept his word on the matter, you're suggesting he could be lying.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2019, 12:41:49 PM »
Well, you questioned the the attorney's statement about the backup navigation system. Whether or not there was a backup navigation system is a matter of fact, not opinion. There either was one or there was not.
Ergo, f the statement is untrue, he's lying. And by your unwillingness to accept his word on the matter, you're suggesting he could be lying.

No, I said I want to hear more than just the defense attorney’s comments...he is hired to spin and advocate for his client.  Nowhere did I say he was lying... I clearly said I appreciate their input (how is that saying they are lying) and said I will weigh both sides.   How you come to your conclusion....not your best work.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2019, 12:42:36 PM »
Dude, he's that dense.  Don't bother.

Minimal grip on law, slightly larger grip on reality.

Opinionated af... but ya know.

Describing yourself again? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »

When in doubt, Hards goes to the sexual offender as his go to guy in humor.